Zoladex

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone’s doing Ok today. Quick question if I may?

I’m moderate for hormones and the onc has said I’ll need Tamoxifen and Zoladex (spelling?) for 2 years. Does that seem a bit excessive having the Zoldex as well? We were trying for another baby before I was diagnosed (I’m 41) but quite frankly I don’t think that’s going to happen now what with one thing and another, time obviously being a big factor. Is this why I’ve been prescribed it though to try and protect my ovaries? so that if by some miracle I don’t go into an early menopause because of chemo we could try for another baby once my treatment has finished?

Any experiences at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks, cheers!

Carole

Hi Carole

I just wanted to say that I’ve been prescribed zolodex to protect my ovaries (I’m 35) and we were trying for another baby when all this happened. I’ve had x2 injections and no periods since and am hoping that once this is all over we can try again. I’d say that at 41 even with a couple of years delay it’s still possible to have another baby and the oncologist is definitely trying to protect your ovaries with the zolodex.

hope this helps

Jude

Thanks a million Jude, that’s what I thought. Are the injections OK if you don’t mind me asking?

I wish you all the very best with your treatment and the future.

Take care

Carole

Hi Carole,

I am due to start Zoladex as soon as my chemo is finished. I believe its to preserve my ovaries (I’m 35) whilst I have Arimidex (was having tamoxifen but I’m HER2+ so its been changed). I think another reason I am having Zoladex is cause the Arimidex works best on post-menopausal women and so far my periods have continued throughout chemo.

My gp has told me that the onc will decide whether I need the inj monthly or 3 monthly. I have also been told that it can be quite painful as it is actually a little pellet that they inject, usually into your belly. I’m sure ladies that are actually having this will put me straight if I’m wrong. To be honest though, after having a million needles and cannulas during chemo I’m sure we won’t find it too painful, and it’ll be over pretty quickly,

Take care,

Kelly
-x-

HI girls

I am having it during chemo, triple neg so slightly different to y’all having it with arimidex etc. It does hurt, there is no doubt about it - however it is also over within three seconds. Ouch !!! Some people put EMLA on beforehand, but I bit the bullet and have had it without - as Princess says, I’m so used to being punctured now that it really makes no difference to me.

Fuschia
xxxxx

Oh interesting. Kelly I’m HER2+ as well but as far as I know I’m having Tamoxifen, can I ask why yours has been changed to Arimidex?

Thanks everybody, take care

Carole