Zoledronic Acid Questions

I am supposed to have my first IV of Zoledronic Acid on Monday and I’m nervous.

First, can I drive myself to and from the hospital?  I don’t want to drive there and find that I have to taxi back home … besides the stress it would cost me more in parking charges than the car is worth.

Second, I had a tooth extracted on the 7th (my IV is on the 17th).  The onc and nurse were in the room when I mentioned I was having it done and they didn’t say anything about it.  Should I assume that my jawbone will have healed sufficiently so there won’t be any issue?

Finally, I’ve read some old threads and I can see that some people get flu like SE the nest day.  Is that what I should expect?  

Hello Stacey, I am a newbie with Zometa as well, had my firs one tow weeks ago, together with my chemo. You have to know that side effects vary and the ones which some people have will not be an issue for you and vice versa. But I know exactly how you feel, I was nervous as well, did not know what to expect, like it was with my first cycle of chemoterapy. By the way, do you have that as well? So your question about driving is answered in a way by yourself. You DO not want to drive, then DONT! you have to be gentle to yourself and do only the things which make you feel ok. Do not worry, you have got all excuse in the world to do so, not because you are ill, do not get me wrong, but you deserve that.

As for the tooth extraction, I think you’d better show them how it is healing before having the Zometa. It needs to have healed perfectly, that is why my Zometa was postponed for a month or so. I had 5 teeth extracted in the end of July and started Zometa only in the middle of September. They say that from now on it is ok for me to hve fillings but nothing below the jaw like extractions. So please consult your nurse or your oncologist if you are dubious abot the healing of your extraxtion.

As it comes to fever as a side effect, yes I got it but had no temperature, just sore throat, running nose and muscle pain. It went on for a couple of days and now it is over. Big hug for you, share how you felt afterwards, and what they told you.

Hi Stacey, cant really help with your problem but just wanted to say hello. I dont know what zoledronic acid is or what its used for but please dont be nervous. I have had iv chemo and driven home so i’m sure you’ll be ok. Cant help on the dental issue but to be on the safe side i would either ring your chemo unit in aadvance or ask before they start your treatment. Hope it all goes ok. x

Hi - I am on Zometa too and I didn’t notice any side effects - I have chemo at the same time and never feel flu like. And I ways drive home afterwards :slight_smile:
Helen

Same here. Am able to drive. Did have mild flu like symptoms the day after but very manageable xx

Hi, Stacey, have been on Zolendronic acid for two plus years now, i have never knowingly had side effects and drive myself. Am also having chemo at the same time sometimes and I drive myself. But i was advised by a wise registrar who said ’ i always say, get someone to bring you the first time, then you will have an idea of how you will be feeling’ and thats what i did.

best of luck. My teeth are all very filled and I live in dread of an extraction.

Moijanxx

Stacey
We are all nervous about new stuff …me I’m the biggest wuss ever !!
I even asked the ladies here if u could have a flu jab and denosumab injection ( similar to your bone stuff ) within a few days !! As I was worried about them clashing !!!
Never be afraid to ask anything …hope your big girls knickers are pretty ones though . ( I keep those for hospital visits …but they make good dusters too)
Carolyn xxx