Zometa SE's question

I was diagnosed with bone mets in my pelvis last week. I haven’t got a treatment plan yet because my onc wants to do full MRI and chest CT this week before deciding which route to take but he started me on IV Zometa straightway. 

I had the IV in the morning and have had no SE’s apart from increased pain at the site of the mets. I am already taking cocodamol 30/500 and Naproxen 500mg but this doesn’t seem to help much whereas I had complete pain control before IV. Pain is better this morning than yesterday.

Is this normal? And how long does the increased bone pain last?

Thanks, Cherry

Hi,cherry,the first IV tends to be the worst.you can get chills like flu( mine came on two days after) and yes the bone pain is awful sometimes,every bone seams to hurt.usually lasts a couple of days. The second one is better much less pain if any,no chillsThen after that they are nothing. But you must drink LOTS of water before,during and after to help flush it out. I take a bottle in with me and have one in the car for after and I drink lots of tea,water ,fruit juice all that day. It’s a really good treatment for bone mets.
Hope that helps,huge hugs,Helen xxxxxx

Hi Cherry
I have been having zometa every 4 weeks for 12 months. After the first one I had the “flu- like” symptoms they talked about and the increased pain in the site of the mets…this lasted a couple of days. After the next infusion they weren’t as bad and I hardly notice them now. I also have letrozole…i have had 2 scans since starting and they have both shown. -“no further spread and some reduction”- I like to think the pain is the zometa giving the cancer mets a good kicking!!