328269posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zometa injections

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Zometa injections

Hi Baz, This doesn't seem fair that you're having to go privately while some of us are receiving it on the NHS.

Ann xx

Hi I'm also having Zometa infusions every 6 months (only had one so far) as it's supposed to help stop recurrence in the bones. I was told that it's an approved treatment on the NHS for secondary cancer and for women with osteoporosis but it's not yet approved to be used to help prevent recurrence by the NHS in all areas yet. I had my Zometa infusion done privately - I had to wait 6 wks for BUPA to look through all the evidence (sent by my onc) and approve it. i was told by my radiologist onc that it will be approved on the NHS for this purpose across all areas within 18 months but I'm not sure how true that is! I didn't really have many side effects except back and joint pain for a few days afterwards. Baz x

Hi I'm having Zometa via IV every 6 months to prevent recurrence, I'm in Lancashire there's quite a few ladies on the Macmillan community threads who live in various parts of England having this treatment. I read somewhere this a drug that's been used for sometime for various reasons making it not expensive.

xx

I have been told there is no funding for this treatment. Do you live in Scotland? Has your reaction to it continued to be positive?
Highlighted

Thanks Jen, it did help! Always good to know that someone else is having something like me! Best wishes Emma
FJ

Hi Emma,

I had my first zometa injection a couple of months ago and for the same reasons as you.  Felt tired, couldnt sleep the first night , bone ache but after a few days all was ok.  Hope that helps.  Jen

Zometa injections

Has anyone else had much of a reaction to bone injections- I had a zometa injection yesterday, I havent got secondary cancer, but my onc advised me to have zometa infusion every six months to cut the chances of a recurrence. Basically the nurse said it could be a few days before flu like symptoms kick in, but I have felt achy all day today, how long does it last and will it get worse?
I would be so grateful for any experiences shared! Thank you Emma