a little worried.....

im on tamoxifen and havent had a period for 16months,im 48.for the last few days iv felt bloated and had only what i can describe as a very bad period pain very low down in my tummy.my oncol did say he didnt expect me to have another period…last night i was kept awake with the pain then noticed i was bleeding.i have a 6month check up next wk.i havent been on here for a very long time but im more than a liittle worried…has anyone else had this??? sarah.

Hi Sarah. My periods stopped during chemo but returned 2 months after starting tamoxifen. I contacted my hospital and have been having monthly zoladex injections since. My periods have stopped again since the zoladex injections as this effectively shuts down the ovaries. There is some controversy as to whether zoladex and tamoxifen together are more effective than just tam or zol on their own. I know it’s easy to say, but try not to worry xx

thank you lisa,iv been on tamoxifen a year and just worried why i would have a period so long after…with awful low tummy cramps…im dreading my appointment now,have visions of being sent for scans etc…and then the dreaded waiting for results…it made it worse my oncol saying you wont see a period again if you do i want to know about it.oh well i only have a week to wait.yikes…sarah

My periods stopped on chemo when I was 44. Two years later I had a period out of the blue. It was investigated (urgent two week referal like finding a breast lump - don’t worry, that is standard procedure for any bleed in a post menopausal woman)and there was nothing wrong. It seems that tamoxifen can cause random bleeds. That was three years ago, no bleeding since.

I understand that you are worried - I was too - but it is probably nothing sinister.

thank you roadrunner,i do get myself into a state since bc over any change…i try taking deep breaths and saying its nothing dont panic…but i still do.sarahx