aching due to neupogen?

Hi everyone,
I had my 3rd and final FEC on monday ( 3 Tax to come), it was delayed due to low white blood count, which was annoying as i didnt feel ill, but afterwards they gave me a weeks worth of Neupogen to inject from day 5-12. My question is… does this make you feel as if you have been hit by a truck or is something else causing the aches , pains and general Yuk way i have been feeling since i took the first injection on friday?
Sorry for the rambling, just never felt this bad on FEC before.any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sue x

Hi Sue
I take Neulasta injections they make me ache and feel like I have flu - it’s horrible so please don’t worry and hope this reassures you. My white blood count went to zero which is why they started me on these injections. You can take paracetamol or neurofen for the aches.

RebzAmy x

Hi Rebz,
thank you , it really is nasty the fluey feeling, i shall definitely dose myself up with paracetamol from now on

sue x

Hello again Sue
Just a word of caution - paracetamol and neurofen mask the signs of a temperature so if you take anything then take your temperature before hand and then after 6 hours to make sure it’s relatively normal. I find my temperature goes up and down quite a bit.

x

Oh gosh I was going to post about this… I started these after my 2nd chemo and here is how it has been:

day 1…felt like I had the heck beat at me by nightfall
day 2…still hurt but not as bad
day 3-5 felt ok
day 6 started getting waves of pain in small of back, groin, base of skull, and breast bone…all evening…felt terrible…different than first days…like pulsing pain
day 7…today…feel like it is going to start again…

I want to say it is worth it not to end up in hospital again…but feel awful

best wishes…let me know how u r doing with them

Hi
I get Neulasta and I can say I feel like I have been hit by a bus.
Got 4th Taxotere on Friday and get the injection the next day i.e, yesterday . Today I feel quite well - managed a walk around M&S for a few yummy essentials to keep the spirit up and the weight for that matter!!

My neck and glands also feel sore but the joints are painful. On the positive, I know this will pass ( has the last 3 times) and thank God (and I mean that) my bloods have been good so the treatment it progressing as it should.

I think it helps when we feel rough to know that this is normal for chemo - hang in there ladies.

Good Luck

hi everyone,
I get neulasta too the day after chemo as on accelerated Epi-Xeloda every 2 weeks. I also feel as though ive been hit by a bus, have all the flu symptoms which is realy horible and 3 cold sores on mouth and sores in nose , unfortunately still managed to get a severe bacterial throat infection too which onc said was caused by the high dose of the epi they gave me , hes decided to lower the dose for the next chemo cos it made me too poorly hope it works as next chemo is tomorrow and my throat is still sore after being on percriptions with penicillin for the past week. I asked about paracetamel but was given codene to take as paracetamel affects temp readings.
Hope everyones feeling ok
Best Wishes
Lindiloo x

Hi everyone,
I am feeling much better today thank goodness, the aching has all but gone, just tired from not being able to sleep for the last 2 nights, but that i can cope with!
OOOOO M&S that sounds nice Muddy, though i think ihave been having far too many nice things, my scales are starting to complain when i dare to tread on them…lots of comfort food lately…lol.
I am hoping the Neulasta will do its stuff though and then there wont be any delays on my next lot of chemo.
Good luck for your next lot tomorrow Lindiloo and hope you feel better soon.
Lee… hope the fluey feelings stay away for you.

Take care all
Sue x

Hi everyone - just had my 3rd FEC - the last one being delayed a week cos bloods were down. Had Neulasta on Thursday and although not too bad in myself I have got very down and don’t know why. I keep crying and not sure if things are finally getting to me or is it the drug. I am due Taxotere in a couple of weeks and absolutely dreading that and the effects.

Anybody else like this ?

Brenda xx

Hi Brenda

I’m sorry to read that you’re feeling so down. If you want to talk to someone in confidence the team on the helpline will be only too happy to talk to you and just be a listening ear. I am sure the feelings you are having are only natural but BCC are here to support you so please use us if it will help. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm. The number is free phone 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes

Katie
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Brenda,
I am sorry you are feeling so down at the moment, i too have felt like you. 3 FEC done, last one last monday, and 3 Tax to go, 1st on 8th Oct and i am dreading it too, i think its the not knowing how i am going to feel with it, i have just got used to the FEC and know generally how and what effect it has on me. So you are not alone, its so scary this BC. Also, i seem to get a bit down and depressed 3 or 4 days after my chemo too and cry and get upset at the smallest thing so i wonder if it is the drugs?
How many Tax do you have to have? there are so many great posts on here it always reassures me i am not alone or imagining things.
take care
sue x

Hi sue and Brenda,

Like you I’m on FEC, last one next week and so far I feel I have coped with this well, but after this it’s 3 tax. Unfortunately I haveb’t heard anything good about the side effects but all I can say is it is very effective and expensive (about the price of a GUCCI bag). my gran used to say if the medicine tastes bad it must be good for you!

keep your chins up

Lizbet

Hi tried a couple of times to add comments but kept pressing wrong key! I have just got out of bed -not like me at at all. I have my 1st Tax on 10th October and don’t want to feel like this. It’s scary and then if you do feel bad after first one you know you hav 2 more to go through. Hope I don’t have to have Neulasta each time cos I know it’s that which has made me feel like this.

Brenda xx

Hi Brenda

I have my first tax on 10 October too - mine is at 2pm, they are shut in the morning for some reason. Hoping not to suffer too much on it though and keeping everything crossed. Am terrified about some of the things have read on here, and thinking I am gonna be laid up, which can’t afford to be as got 10 month old boy and 3 yr old girl. Have been fine on FEC, so heres hoping to continuing the same way. Have to let me know how you get on … only 2 weeks to go …

Love
Dawn
x

Hi - mine is in the morning. How do you cope with two little ones? I have 2 girls 23 and 21 who live part of the week away but come home once a week to see me. I do hope we get through this like we have done the FEC but am prepared for the effects. At least we won’t have all the syringes - just infusion. The FEC really hurt the veins.

It’s good to be able to put how you feel on here cos I don’t say a lot at home except the last few days of course.

Brenda xxx

Hi Brenda

Yeah know what you mean about not being able to say how you always feel, although been quite down at the weekend for some reason, think cos didn’t get my usual two morning lie ins after chemo, as my little girl back at preschool, gotta be there for 9. All caught up with me. Don’t feel can talk to my OH sometimes, and try to keep smiling and happy for my mates. Vicious circle really, so good to talk on here. Not posted much this week though …

Been told it is only 1 hour for tax, although have read somewhere takes an hour to make up too - blimin hope not, as got people looking after kids … that will put us back a bit.

Have to let me know how you get on, but prob won’t get it before I leave though. Little ones keep me going actually I think - gives me reason to fight so much as wanna see them grow up … am pretty knackered each night though.

Take care
Love
Dawn
x

Hi- that’s what keeps you going isn’t it - I want to be here for the next 20 odd years for the girls. I was told at first it would take 4 hours for the Tax but now know it’s an hour. They usually have everything ready when I go but chemo is usually after doc’s appointment which as running an hour late last week. I don’t say a lot to people but they can tell when I am down by my voice apparently. On Sunday night I actually lay down on the settee and had a good cry. Everybody keeps telling us we are brave and they wouldn’t deal with it like this but I am sure they would - most of then anyway. I feel a little better tonight but not much.

Surgery site really, really hard and hurting. Seems to be worse after chemo. AND I would love to have an alcoholic drink that tastes right !!!

Love Brenda xxxx