advic please

hi. i am 43 years old and due to have a relatively small fibroadenoma removed in a couple of weeks. my surgeon said that the pain and discomfort was not a good reason for removal but as both my grandmothers and my paternal aunt have had bc then i should have the lump removed. my mammogram, ultrasound and core biopsy results indicate fibro is benign, but i am concerned the tests following the op might find something else. Am i worrying unnecessarily, advice very welcome. x

Hi Lorsie70

I’m sorry to read you’re having a tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

It’s pointless to tell you you are worrying unnecessarily, because we can’t help ourselves worrying about these things! However, I will say try to keep busy, DON’T GOOGLE -(that will definitely cause you unnec worry!)

You are in the excellent position that in the unlikely event that BC is lurking behind your benign lump, they can deal with it before it takes hold. Also, your benign lump will be out of the way and not confuse the issue should you develop BC at a later date.

Remember treatments are improving all the time, so even if they do find BC, your prospects are much better than your grandmothers’!

Don’t worry about the op - it’s not as bad as we fear! Good luck. I hope you don’t have too long to wait. The waiting is by far the worst part!!

thankyou jcj for your reply. xx

Op is on 15 May. thank you jcj for your comments and support, am sure all will be fine. Xxxx

Hi Lorsie,
I am in a very similar situation to you. I was extremely happy to be told that the lump I have is benign (either a fibro or a phyllodes tumor) but I still have this nagging doubt that after surgery and subsequent pathology that something more sinister will be found.
I should be over the moon but I just can’t seem to shrug off these negative thoughts. I then end up feeling guilty when I read other ladies’ posts who have been diagnosed.
I have my op scheduled for the 31st of May. The doc said he was going to take a larger margin around the lump in case it is a phyllodes as these can become cancerous. I don’t have very big boobs (C cup) and the lump is quite large so Lord only knows what my boob will look like afterwards. But that really is the least of my worries.
Good luck for the 15th - can you let me know how you get on? I’m happy for you to PM me if you prefer.
Big Hugs,
Sue
xxx

Hi Heaney 69
I had a 5 cm tumour removed ,the scar was nice and neat they went in from the side of the boob and there was no evidence of the op barring a very neat 2inch scar .
good luck with the op
lizzy c

Good luck tomorow, Lorsie. The wait will soon be over now! Be gentle withbyourself. xx

Hi, sorry not replied to your kind comments. Had op on 17th May, results back, all benign. Surprisingly was signed off from work for 4 weeks, went back back to work last Monday. Am so relieved all clear and have to say how mmuch I admire ladies whose results are not good. Scare is very neat but still very painful 5 weeks on, so went back to my gp who said I have haematoma. Prescribed penicillin. REALLY painful painful and don’t want to make a fuss as thankful not bc but does anyone have any ideas how long this can take to heal? How did you get on beany69 (sue). Hope you are well? Xx