advice please

about how long do you have to wait for reconstruction, how long off work, do you have to have scans beforehand,Will they reduce my remaining big breast thanks Eileen

I think a lot of this will depend on your NHS trust. I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, but this was not available in my local hospital. It will also depend on any other treatment you may need as radiotherepy can affect reconstruction timescales.
The plastics team at the hospital I am attending in London said they will reduce or enlarge the other breast to match once the reconstruction is done.
There are different types of reconstructive surgery and the recovery times will vary depending on which type you go for.
Do you have a breast care team at your hospital with a breast care nurse? These are the sort of questions you need to have answered by people who know your case. Best of luck.

Hi Eileen

I am due to have my recon at the Broomfield in Chelmsford, Essex. At my initial consultation with the surgeon in Nov 08, I was told the waiting list is 3 - 4 months. I did get a date through for March 17th, but the operation was cancelled the same day, due to an emergency. So I am now waiting for another date, but on average the waiting time for the NHS seems to be about 4 months.

I also had to wait until after my radiotherapy before considering a recon, some Oncologists prefer this as I think rads can effect the reconstructed breast, especially if you have an implant.

I have opted for an LD flap as I do not have enough spare flesh/fat for a DIEP or TRAM flap reconstruction. I am really desperate to get the operation done now, and was devestated when it was cancelled - but as my PS is a speciallist in burns surgery it could be cancelled again.

Good luck and best wishes,

Tracy x

hi all, hope your having a good weekend,it,s lovely in sunny blackpool,anyway waiting for my recon, surgeon said got to be done within 18 weeks of last appointment, having implants due to no fat on tum, skin a total mess from basal cell carcinoma,s and they don,t do skin and fat from bum at my hospital (which is a shame cause mine,s huge lol)good luck with treatments and surgerys
lorna xxx

Thanks ladies I finished a years herceptin last July and didn’t want a reconstruction but have n ow been thinking about it. I don’t want to go for any scary scans though thanks Eileen

Hi Eileen, I do think waiting list do vary depending on which Nhs service. I had to wait 9 months from the last visit to my ps but got to go in private hospital which was very nice. Depending on which recon you are having i have had 2, tissue expansion and Ld. With the Ld i would say about 6 weeks depending on what job you do and tissue expansion alone 3 to 4 weeks but everybody is different but this is through my own experience. Hope this helps Helenxx

thanks Helen, I am going to see oncologist for my 6 monthly check up so will ask to see the surgeon then xx Eileen

Hi Eileen

I had a mastecomy in November 2007 followed by chemo and radiotherapy. After some pushing and shoving I went to Leicester R.I. in August 2008 to see a consultant and had a reduction on my good breast in December 2008. I went back to Leicester in March and I am now on the waiting list for ld flap reconstruction. I was given a waiting time of 4/5 months.

I felt that if I hadn’t brought the subject of reconstruction up I don’t think anyone else would have done. In fact, I felt there was some resistance to me bringing the topic up. Although when I went to Leicester it was all very positive.

Hope this is of some help.

Lynda x

I do agree Lynda you have to push them or they would just leave you. When i had my mastectomy and i brought the subject of reconstruction up my bc nurse did not even want to discuss it. I am now 2 1/2 years down the line and have just 1 more small op to have on other side and i must say it has all been worth the pushing and the waiting. Hope it all goes well for you Helenxx