68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after chemo - choices - 1 mx or 2 - help

5 REPLIES 5
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: after chemo - choices - 1 mx or 2 - help

bump

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: after chemo - choices - 1 mx or 2 - help

bump

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: after chemo - choices - 1 mx or 2 - help

bumping up

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: after chemo - choices - 1 mx or 2 - help

My surgeon suggested I should consider having a bilateral after my first tumour was found, they then found another one in the other breast making that decision easy, bilateral it was but the original suggestion was based on age etc. BTW I just explained what he told me back on the may20 the chemo thread where you asked earlier, but good idea to start another thread here. Essentially agree with what Jane said that it really depends on your own cirsumtances and how you feel. I would go for it and did and would have done even if there was only the 1 tumour but then I was never that in love with my boobs (I'm a cerebral creature at heart) and would rather have been shot of the risk and with a balanced appearance so I wouldn't have lost much sleep over it but you may feel totally different about your own body.

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: after chemo - choices - 1 mx or 2 - help

Hi Chris

I also had AC before surgery which didin't shrink my tumour much.

Re: the op. Talk this through with your surgeon. Another primary in your other breast is only slightly more likely because of your existing cancer. Risk of local, regional or distant recurrence is more likely statistically than risk of a second primary. If you had lobular breast cancer the risk of a second primary is higher.

Some women feel they want to have double mastectomy and surgeons will agree. Other women (like me) weren't bothered. Others surgeons may be reluctant to do what they consider to be unnecessary surgery.

Like you I was never botherd about recostruction...which is more major surgery than a second mastectomy would be.

You could discuss this on the BCC helpline or as I said just talk it through with your onc and surgeon.

best wishes

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

after chemo - choices - 1 mx or 2 - help

Hi Everyone,
was diagnosed in July with grade3 invasive ductal probably node involvement. am age 51. have had 3 ac of 4 but it did not shrink the tumour therefore started 4 lots of tax early. 3 more tax to go (2nd next thur). NO BC in family - mum died of leukaemia at 35.
after last tax end of nov. I will have to decide what to do about my op. At the moment I definately want a full mx but am in a quandry of whether to ask for a double mx to safeguard my future as much as poss. I am not too bothered about recon. etc etc as I feel I dont want any other poss problems. I dont know if I would be given a choice of having both removed, whose decision is it, me or the onc.?
rads to follow.

Any advice, help, thoughts would be much appreciated.

thanks e/one
hugs to all
Chris x