Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after surgery

35 REPLIES 35
salsal50

Re: after surgery

Hi all
Sue - sounds like we will be starting off together, I am starting the first of 6 FEC on 2nd - it looks as though the boob infection has cleared, so full steam ahaead and bring it on - I am getting impatient to get started and find out just how bad (or good) it will be.

Gill - thinking of you too hun starting on the 7th, hope all goes well.

I have also tried to have some relaxation before the chemo starts, been on a few day trips to the lovely mid-Wales countryside with my daughter, certainly has helped calm the nerves for a short time at least. I am going to try the cold cap, but have 'belt & braces' with a wig and some scarves just in case I can't stick it, or it doesn't work for me.

xxx Sal

pina_c

Hi Suze,
Sounds like you have stocked up with everything ready for your chemo this week. I've been meaning to print out the list, must get round to it or I'll run out of time. Have got my visit to the chemo suite on Wed and then the real thing on Mon 😞 don't think I'll be trying the cold cap, my onc said the Tax would definitely cause hairloss so I've been thinking that I may as well just see what happens and not freeze my head.
Sal,
Hope you are ok, haven't heard form you recently and hope the infection has gone and your treatment schedule is running to plan.

I had a relaxing few days away. It's a good job we went last week and not over half term as when I got back there were two hospital appointments waiting there for this week. Before all this started I rarely went to the drs or the hospital, now I'm almost living there!!
Hope everyone has had a relaxing bank holiday weekend.
Good luck with all treatments,
Gill xx

salsasuzi

Hi Gill, Sal and everyone,
well I am all kind of ready now, I have been for wig (bought a spare one too...that's just because I am a woman!!) couldn't make my mind up and I am pleased to say that I do like them both better than my real hair!! Spent Friday afternoon parading round work in them....to get the staff and the kids used to my new glam look!! It certainly caused a lot of double takes and one of the kids spoke to me about it, threw his arms round me and kissed my cheek and said you will be ok cos you have to be awwwww:-))(tears in my eyes remembering it)

Friday morning was visitation to chemo suite where I had intensive chat and loads of info and sheets to read. Given samples of scarves and a turban type thing and a thermometer which I am not sure about cos when I tried it it only registered me as 35.7 ohh errr.

Saturday I went shopping for healthy snacks (dried fruit etc) gallons of flavoured water and fresh fruit n veg. Not to mention more antibacterial sprays wipes and gels than you can shake a stick at (so I can hopefully still work a bit and be in a germ free bubble).

Sat night and this lunchtime out for meals with friends, next two days cleaning house so by Wednesday I will be ready!!!!! Crossing everything I have that I;ll be ok,, am really quite scared now.

Sal hope you are feeling much better and back on track with your treatment schedule.
Gill glad you had a nice time away and you now have your dates...we are not far apart at all timewise and both having FEC first (I am only having FEC). Are you going to try the cold cap? I am going to try it b ut I actually like my wigs more than my own hair...hope I feel like that in a fortnight!

Hope everyone else is doing ok and keeping well and strong
Enjoy the weekend
Hugs Suze xxx

pina_c

Hi Sue,
Have got my visit to the chemotherapy suite on 2nd June then start my chemo on Mon 7th June. Will be starting with 3FEC and then 3 TAX. I thought I had got this sorted in my head but couldn't stop crying when I got the letter 😞 Will prob be better once it's started. Good luck with your first FEC 🙂 3 hours a day at work sounds like a good compromise. Are you planning to do some work between your chemo sessions? I've had a couple of days away with my husband this week which was lovely and relaxing. Just what I needed.

Hi Sal,
Hope you are feeling a bit better now and have cleared your infection. Hopefully you have started your chemo now and got that worry out of the way.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Gill x

salsasuzi

Hi Sal and Gill,
Sal...sorry to hear that the infection is not doing a disappearing act. Hopefully the antibiotics will sort it for you...such a nuisance and I don't wonder it makes you fed up. Hoping you are better very soon...hugs Sue xx

Gill....I start my first of 6 FEC on 3rd June. I go for 'look round' and to meet the nurses on Friday. Feeling quite nervous about starting and hoping that the side effects will be easy(ish) and doable. It's been great being back at work (3 hours a day)it's tiring (not that I'm doing a great deal when I'm there) but I get to have a siesta in the afternoon which is fab :-))... I nearly felt 'normal' and forgot I was ill!!! Hoping to manage till July and the 6 week hols if I can (I am allowed time off if I feel poo) then I'm not using up all my sick allowance but we shall have to see but that's my goal and my reason to stay as fit and healthy as I can. Dunno of that's a right or wrong attitude but I promise to be sensible and listen to what my little bod tells me (not that it listened to me when I got ill!!) Keep well hope you're enjoying your time before treatment and making the most of it....who knows if you cope ok with it you could extend the fun time a bit too ...hugs Sue xxx

salsal50

Hi Gill & Sue - infection not clearing further drainage Friday and today (MOnday) still infected and very sore. Chemo now dleayed to next week. Will be starting up another thread to ask if anyone out there has started chemo with an infection and what was the result when immunity dropped. Trying to keep positive but flagging now & again - thanks for the F-cup support!!
xx Sal

pina_c

Hi Sal,
Hope your infection is clearing up. Hope it doesn't delay the chemo by too much. I haven't got an actual date for mine yet but I just want to get on with it. Hope you've had a good weekend. Gill xx

Sue,
Hope all went well with the oncologist. Do you have a date for starting your chemo? I was really scared about meeting my oncologist but it was ok. Just want to get things started now, think it will the be easier. At the moment I'm looking at leaflets and reading things on here and just making myself more miserable. Hoe you have been able to enjoy the weekend. Gill xx

salsasuzi

Hi Sal,
hope you are feeling better soon, what a nuisance having an infection, like you say do you not already have enough c**p to deal with? Hopefully they will get you back on track very quickly.Sending you antibiotical get better wishes hugs Sue xxxxxxx

salsal50

Sad to say chemo may be delayed - I thought starting so soon was too good to be true. Felt unwell last night & found I had a red swollen boob this morning. Breast care nurse took more fluid off & now thinks it is infected, so on antibiotics. As if there isn't enough c**p to deal with, this is added too! Just got to keep positive & be patient.

xxx Sal

salsasuzi

Hi,
Gill, glad you were ok with oncologist appointment, good to get the info then you can start to get your head round it all. Yes enjoy the next few weeks to the full.
We all seem to be getting different amounts of time betwen surgery and chemo starting.
Salsal starts next week and is only just post op, you start in 3 -4 weeks and I have my first appointment tomorrow and am already 6 weeks post op.
Feeling scared now about meeting oncologist but I'm sure it will all be fine, it seems so long since my op!!
Well, hugs to all, keep well and keep strong ladies.
Love Suze xx

pina_c

Sal,
Glad you are feeling more comfortable now. I am also an F cup girl and have been sleeping on my good side with a towel between my arm and my body on my sore side. Haven't found it any better wearing my bra, in fact it seems much more comfortable without it !! Back of my arm still has a burning feeling which is almost unpleasant at times.
Stephanie,
Looks like you used a towel too. It definitely helped me sleep.
Sue,
Good luck with the oncologist. I saw mine yesterday and in a way it was a relief though I think I just need to get started on the chemo now. Am on for 3 FEC and 3 TAX starting in 3-4 weeks. Hoping to be able to enjoy the next few weeks before it all begins.
Hope everyone on here is enjoying the good weather. I actually got some gardening done today which was good.
Gill x

salsal50

Hi again all....
Moved on a bit since last post - seroma drained ( a pint of fluid!) and feeling more comfortable now. Scar healed, although 'sunburn' sensation on the back of my arm still annoying. Have moved on to the next stage now - saw the oncologist and starting chemo next week so hoping all goes straightforwardly from here. Thanks so much to all for the support on this thread
xxx Sal

Lazydaisy1

Hi Salsa - oh yes I can so identify with the ' big boob' problem. Try hugging a little cushion under the arm or a rolled up towel. Brave girl wearing a bra - couldn't do that for many months even a support top was too much. It seems to be a well known fact that us 'big girls' do suffer. There is a specific cushion on the market designed I believe by a breast care nurse but I found out too late. Try not to let it pull you down even though all this is a really horrible and very painful time for you and your family - think small steps and everyday is one day less. Stephanie XX

salsal50

Hi Sue, Gill & others
Such a relief to hear the comments on this thread. Had my WLE / SNB 10 days ago and getting much of what has been mentioned; burning pain under the arm, numbness at the back of my shoulder and arm and some boob soreness (although luckily not what I could call 'pain'). My worst trouble is having very large boobs anyway (F cup pre-op) my operated one is now swollen as well (possible a seroma the breast nurse thinks) despite me wearing a bra 24/7 since the op. Anyone else have similar big boob problems - any tips?
xxx Sally

salsasuzi

Hi Gill,
I am still feeling well thanks, in fact I can go to work for a few hours next week...never thought I'd be exited about going to work....ohhh how bc affects us in strange ways!! Obviously I had to immediately ask for time off for appointments haha but we are working round that, just hope that I am as well as I think, it's ok pottering around the house all day but out in the real world again..well, we'll see I'm sure all will be fine.
Having both sides done was not too bad as the right side had sentinel node biopsy which healed quicker than left's node clearance, so that meant I got my movement in my right side back much quicker than on my left side, after a couple of weeks I could lean over to my right side for sleeping which was soooo much better than being on my back.My right arm has had to get better quickly as that was my 'good arm' and is the one doing all the work whilst the left arm has been a slower process for sure.

Still dreading Thursday with oncologist, and I have been having nightmares so it must really be getting to me somehow, but I know I can do this and take more strength from the ladies here once again.
Hugs as always to all and have a good weekend
Sue xx

pina_c

Hi Sue,
I'm also booked in to see the oncologist next week on Tues. As you say it's a scary reality that is too close for comfort. Am trying to enjoy my health at the moment. Must seriouly start looking into getting a wig 😞
Hope your recovery is still going well. Having one side sore has been bad, can't imagine what it's like with both sides done!!
These forums are certainly very helpful and it makes it much easier seeing how others are coping with this journey.
Hope you have a great weekend.
Gill xx

salsasuzi

Hi Gill,
Glad that you got some good news re no mastectomy, and the next treatment will sort out the rest...similar to me really.
Glad your scans were clear..that's big relief when they tell you that.
I had 34 nodes removed (goodness knows how he found so flippin many) and 3 were affected but I still need to have chemo and radio, not looking forward to it (like anyone would!) but I keep telling myself that I have to gove my self every chance I can to beat this b*****r.
I am booked in to meet the oncologist next Thurs (eek!) so that's scary as its becoming a reality again now...I've kind of been in a lull as I have made a really good recovery despite the amount of work done and both sides etc..and I've been feeling like...well I'm feeling fine now then I have to remind myself that there is more to come yet.
Anyway because I visit here it makes you realise that you are not alone and there are other wonderful ladies going through similar stuff...thank goodness for this forum.
Trying to sort out returning to work till my next treatment begins, that would help my bank balance and my sanity I think...there's only so much gardening a girl can do haha (specially when she can't do any of the heavy stuff which is what is needed really).
Hope your arm is feeling better...it has taken mine 5 weeks on the side of node clearance but everyting has really settled down now with minimal discomfort compared to a couple of weeks ago.
Well, keep on recovering, stay healthy
Hugs Sue xx

pina_c

Hi Sue,
Phew, that's a lot to have done, poor you. I'm struggling to sleep on either side and that's just with one side being done!! The numbness is very strange, have also had lots of burning sensations between my elbow and my shoulder but that seems to be going now.

No mastectomy needed - hooray!! bad news was that 27 out of 28 lymph nodes have cancer 😞 so it's being treated as an aggressive cancer. Atleast my scans so far have all been clear so hopefully the chemotherapy and radiotherapy will get what's left.

Hope your left arm is not so swollen now, i've been lucky with no fluid build up so far.

Hope all is getting better,

Gill xx

salsasuzi

Hi Gill,
I had wle on both breasts, node clearance on left and snb on right 5 weeks ago. I have made a remarkably better and quicker than expected recovery but it has taken this time for things to settle.

I am still getting one small area of discomfort in node clearance arm (up till now it was from top of arm to elbow) with some numbness remaining but all is much improved since 5 weeks ago.

I can almost get my arm vertical now but it does pull still a bit.
Sleeping is still not possible on this side but thankfully I can lie on right side now and have been able to for a couple of weeks...the inconvenience of having bilateral op.

left arm (like a football but not as big) at times it is a weird sensation.
Well that's my experience hope you get on well tomorrow and don't need more surgery...got everything crossed for you
Hugs Sue xx

pina_c

Hi,
Had my op(quadrantectomy, full node clearance and mammoplasty) 8 days ago and am still struggling to sleep. Looking forward to being able to lay on my side 🙂
My armpit is numb and my arm very tingly. It feels like I've got something tucked between my arm and my body - very strange.
Looks like we have all got similar sorts of problems 😞
Have got my post op results tomorrow and am praying that I don't need more surgery 😞
best wishes to everyone on here,
Gill xx

Lazydaisy1

Hi everyone - has anyone else been left with a 'resident wiggly worm' under their armpit -- very odd intense feeling of something crawing in there!!!! Looks very odd when i jam my hand up there. it's not all the time just now and again. Abit of a dodgy momment in 'rads' when i nearly when out of my mind being unable to move and 'it' having a right old wriggle. Had my op (lumpectomy) in November with 6 nodes removed ( all clear) so thought maybe it is the nerves knitting but I've not heard of anyone complaining of this prob.

AnneMarie1804

I am now 4 weeks post surgery but having alot of burning
pain in my breast and under my arm, after reading some of the comments it sounds quite normal. I had a lumpectomy and sentinal node clearnnce 30/12/09 I went back to work too soon I think only 12 days after surgery (i only set up my own florist buisness july2009) I cannot afford to pay any staff so had no choice to try and keep buisness going, what an idiot I am and now think i'm paying fo it. I am having trouble finding a comfortable bra i.e if its comfortable at the front it's digging into my scar under my arm.(any ideas )

LooLoo

Hi DianneHelen,

Thinking back to my op I think you will start to feel alot better within another week or so. I found going for short walks helped, only 15 minutes or so, with a friend. Hope you feel better soon. x

diannehelen

i had a lumpectomy 17days ago and one node still cant sleep still numb and worried about chemo and radio which starts in about 5weeks.cant stand not working ornot being able to do anyhousework to take mind of it all feeling pretty useless at the momemt. anyone else feel same. just having a bad day.

lincs_lady

hi bear
i did post that i got my results
no more surgery needed though 1 node out of 7 affected
most people seem to go in for a clearence with this result?

good clear margin round lump
no vascular
lump was 10mm

so onc is to discuss next step
though she seems to think they will advice chemo as 1 pesky node
whether i have it or not i will need convincing as i cannot get my head round it at all and at the mo im going to turn it down

bear

Hi Lincs Lady

so pleased to see you are feeling pretty normal!!
Sleeping can be a bit of a technique at this stage - I'm not one for sleeping on my back.

Are you getting your results from the oncologist or will you get them from the breast care nurse before then?

lincs_lady

thankyou
nurse said same as you ladies that its normal
she said i can start covering myself in aqueous cream too
and im going to get the arnica tabs as well

Ann_04

Yes, I've got the burning pain under my arm, too. Surgery 6 days ago.

Ann x

chipper

uh oh ! I've been using a regular Bic type thing- am very careful though !!

annalou24

Hi

I had that burning feeling under my arm and down the back of it for quite a few weeks. I am now 5 and a half weeks post-op and it has just about gone, but still doesn't feel quite the same as the other arm. I think it is due to nerve damage and the nerves take time to repair themselves.
Luckily I can stretch it quite well and could get in the right position for the radiotherapy planning appointment (yesterday). My nurse said to use Immac et or an electric shaver and never go back to a normal razor blade.

Hope everyone's doing ok
Anna x

lincs_lady

thanks all
sounds like im feeling normal stuff then
so i have to stay a hairy mary for a bit then?? lol

i have my appointment with the onc next tuesday
frightened to death again now

Gemjunkie

For after surgery bruising try nelsons Arnica 30 tabs - from health stores/boots. Briliant - even the hospital advised these - bruising gone in a week.

Burning nerve pain normal but does eventually wear off - may still feel numbness. Lynb xxxx

Ceri

Hi Lincs Lady I had surgery 16 days ago and my arm still feels numb underneath, but the worst thing is the seroma under my arm, i've had it drained once but it seems to be filling up again. It gets worse during the day. Is it best to wear some support? I also still get very tired so don't know how I will feel during radiotherapy!! Hopefully our symptoms will gradually get better.

Best wishes
Ceri

Laptalass

There is a good chance your underarm will always be numb, The general advice is not to shave but to wax or use something like Immac. Obviously once everything is healed.

It is also normal for all kinds of weird aches and pains, just part of the healing process.

Glad your surgery went well.

Irene

chipper

sounds normal to me ! I think your underarm will always be a bit numb as they obviously cut through nerves to find the lymph nodes,so be careful when shaving !

lincs_lady

after surgery

morning

i am 10 days after surgery and doing well i think

i have all sorts of wierd aches and pains and bruising which im sure is normal
ive cut right down on my tablet intake though i still cant sleep on either side annoyingly

i get a burning type pain under my arm,i wondered if it is the feeling coming back as it is a bit numb if i poke it lol

can anyone say how it should be feeling now?
i had wle with 7 nodes removed
thankyou