alert bracelet for lymphadema Yes or No?

Hi Ladies
This was on a while back but I can’t find it now. I was wondering if an alert bracelet would be noticed or helpful to the professionals and this week I got chance to find out.
I wasn’t well on Monday with severe pain in my side. I was diagnosed with severe kidney infection and possibly kidney stones. I had to be transfered by ambulance froM Staincliffe to Pinderfields by ambulance.
During the journey, having been given pain relief, I asked the paramedic. He said " We do look out for medical alert items bracelets and necklaces and anything that will help us treat the patient appropriatley is always helpful"
Thought I’d pass on information and my bracelet has been ordered.
Regards Chinook
P.S. Throughout my stay and treatment at hospital nobody questioned me about the need to only use my left arm. Even the doctor taking blood in the middle of the night. He headed for the right arm because the canular was in my left arm but swapped as soon as I mentioned the Lymphadema.

Thanks for that. I had this conversation with OH this morning.
I might think again about ordering one.

I don’t have a bracelet for general wear, but when I went into hospital for my recon ops I wore a hospital style bracelet from the Lymphoedema Support Network:

lymphoedema.org/Menu5/Index.asp#ALERT

All the staff noticed it and asked what it was for - so although they hadn’t come across them before, they knew to ask and then were very good about using the correct arm.

This wouldn’t help in an emergency situation, but is good for planned hospital procedures.

Interesting. I have the mediband one (quite expesnive for a silicone band it has to be said, but a small price if it works) and it was noticed when I saw a physio this week about a wrist-sprain in my good arm (overcompensating in order to remain an ‘at risk of lymphoedema’ girl). I was also told the last time I did first aid training that paramedics will always have a quick check for bracelets and pendants with medical stuff if they have to ‘scoop you up’. It will be interesting to see what happens in this regard when I have my tidying up surgery later this year…

I was in A&E this week with my dad and checked, the staff and paramedics assured me they look out for bracelets and dog tags … so can only take their word for it:
theidbandco.com/Axillary-Lymph-Nodes-5062

I’ve got one of those angielav (any word on the lilac version yet?) but have a metal engraved one ordered to look a bit smarter. It should arrive fairly soon.

I know in a real emergency the lymphoedema risk would come far behind anything necessary to save my life, but if there’s any option then I’d rather they stayed well clear of my left arm with anything pointy or squeezy!

Jane xxx

Any news on the lilac/purple ones? In 2 weeks’ time, I’m deffo going to be “no needles, no blood pressure” on my right arm.
Thanks.

Got mine about a week ago and they are lurid pink only as yet…

Are these the only options shopping wise so far?
I looked on eBay, and there was nothing there.

Alto - where did you get yours from if you don’t mind me asking???

I had a near miss about 4 months post op. I was unwell and went to A&E (was still on chemo). Nurse went to take my blood pressure and said “any arm?”, in my confused (chemo brain) state I said “yea any arm”. She was just starting to tighten it when the alarm bells went off in my “slow” brain and I managed to stop her.

It made me realise that a bracelet is a must. I wear my lurid pink rubber bracelet for everyday wear including work. I have an engraved one from Icegems for more formal wear, such as my granddaughters christening a couple of weeks ago.

I am so used to wearing them now it has become part of my routine in the morning it on (I have a purple one on the other wrist for my portacath - definately a good look)

It will be a reminder next week for me when I have my flu vaccine, as this is normally given in your left arm if you are right handed, and my left is my bad arm.

I will get a lilac one whem they go on sale.

Marian

Just to let you all know, the lilac alert bracelet from the id band company will be in stock next week… photographed and on sale by Friday next week.

Thank you! Will look out for it

thanks Angilav

Thanks Angielav, i’ll be ordering one.

Nymeria, I’ve got this one theidbandco.com/Axillary-Lymph-Nodes-5062 and have ordered a stainless steel engraved design-your-own one from universalmedicalid.co.uk/uk/buildPage.php . The delivery time is a bit long (about a month) but it was cheaper than some of the others and let me fit everything I wanted on it.

The Icegems ones are very pretty but I did wonder whether some of them would actually be recognised as Medic Alert bracelets in an emergency as they’re so ornamental! They’re also a bit expensive for me.

Jane xxx

Thank you! Yes, I looked at the Icegems ones and thought exactly the same thing - pretty but not obviously what they are.

I have worn a MedicAlert bracelet for many years because of epilepsy and being allergic to penicillin but I can no longer afford to pay the annual fee. This looks like being a great alternative. I really do need to wear something because when I have a seizure I’m not myself for several hours afterwards and I often stop breathing. As a result I wouldn’t be capable of stopping people from using the wrong arm.

I’m a big believer in wearing an ICE tag because mine has been so useful on more than one occasion over the years.

I’m definitely going to order a lavender LD band too! :slight_smile:

Nymeria x

ICE as in “In Case of Emergency” with contact details?

I have ICE number stored in my mobile, as this was advised a number of years back by a paramedic when I did a first aid course. Just define a contact name as ICE and add the number; if phone can be unlocked without a code then emergency services can quickly find ICE and call for you. Not the right move for everyone for sure, but it works for me!

Thank you for the link Angielav, I ordered the lurid pink one lol! I think it will be fine for just now and then I can look at choosing and engraving my own metal one in the future.

crabbit … at least paramedics will spot the pink one!! And like I say, they’ll have the lilac one on sale next week.