Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

already have implants and dcis - options available

6 REPLIES 6
Supporting92

Re: already have implants and dcis - options available

Hi implants

You can talk to your GP and seek for another option to these/ refer you to plastic surgeon to talk to. Although I have radiotherapy after mastectomy then implant with some of my  back tissue which  is not that good for me, because my implant got infected and it was removed later. As for me radiotherapy did work but left my skin vulnerable the implant couldn't last. I was referred to another plastic  surgeon by my previous consultant to have my Diep flap done that was 6 weeks ago. Hope everything goes well for you.

greenleaf

Can only back up the suggestion here to go back to your GP and ask for a second opinion. Or even a new referral elsewhere. I don't understand why your consultant is saying your cancer doesn't warrant a mastectomy. Many, many women with DCIS have mastectomies, especially if they have little breast tissue, because a lumpectomy can leave a small breast deformed. And yes there are options for reconstruction after radiotherapy, although I've heard it can be tricky, but not impossible, with implants. As a survivor of sexual abuse your psychological wellbeing is VERY important. Is there a clinical psychologist at the hospital your breast care nurse can refer you to? He or she could be a great advocate for you. In fact your GP could too if there are very clear psychological issues at stake. Hang in there. You'll get there xx

Anna_BCC

Hi Implants

If you click on the my profile link in the top right hand corner of the page 

My Profile image.JPG

then you will be taken to the place where you can manage all your personal settings and subscriptions.

Managing personal profile and settings.JPG

You can choose how you wish to manage your private messages here.

I hope this helps you and please do email moderator@breastcancercare.org.uk, if you need any help.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Implantsalready

I've looked through my profile but can't find where I can enable PMs. Sorry not used forums much 😕 can anyone point me in the right direction?

Rattles

Hi implantsalready,

I'm sorry you are facing these difficult decisions. I have a very different experience to you but wanted to suggest asking your GP for a second opinion. There are plenty of surgeons who are excellent (though I don't think we can recommend them?), I think that you have to consider your emotional well being and your physical health. You can have an implant after radiotherapy but it has risks which will need to be weighed up.

Why not ring the Helpline at BCC?

Rattles

JoJo11

Hi,

I just tried to send you a pm, but it's saying you have not got it enabled.

if you enable it and let me know I will try again. Can't put a name in this open part.

I have not the same problems as you but I have had a reconstruction after radiotherapy, with an LD flap and an implant.
Good luck
Jojo

Implantsalready

already have implants and dcis - options available

I was diagnosed with a high grade DCIS in one breast last week with an area of calcification. I'm due to have an MRI of both breasts tomorrow. I already have 540cc implants and have very little natural tissue. I used to be 32AA and after having my old PIP implants replaced 3 years ago I am now 32F (just look in proportion now as I'm pair shaped). My natural tissue is about only 5mm.

The consultant wants to remove both implants and the bad area plus treat with radiotherapy. I have been advised that there are no options for implant replacement post radiotherapy and I can't have fat transfer aas the fat can show as calcification on future scans.

I am 40 and after having implants for 20 years do not want to be left with flappy spaniel ear boobs. I have asked about the option of a mastectomy and reconstruction but been told that I don't need it. (My cancer doesn't warrant it). I also have psychological issues associated with my breasts as I am a victim of sexual abuse. I cannot bare the think about looking in the mirror and seeing a reflection of the 16 year old girl. 

I was wondering if there are any other ladies that have been treated having already having implants and if anyone can recommend a consultant preferably on the NHS or privately.

Thank you