1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

am i being impatient???

39 REPLIES 39

Re: am i being impatient???

so pleased to here that, such good news. i think there should be a seperate thread for good results, where everybody who gets a negative can post, that would reassure others waiting for results

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks to yopu all for your support - got my core biopsy results this afternoon and all clear dont need to go back for 3 years - it has been the longest week of my life waiting and your messages of support have been appreciated - good luck to all of you waitng to hear too and good luck to all having treatment my thoughts are with you all XXXXXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Lulu - I will take all you say on board and await tomorrows results !!!!! Been keeping busy and trying not to think to much on it - The odd thing is I feel so well but have this cloud hovering over me now!

hi weemee

even if it does prove to be a cancer depending on the extent of it you wouldnt neccessarily need to stay in hospital... at our hosp if you are having WLE (lumpectomy) you are a day case... you come in and go home the same day....

some benign conditions still require surgery to remove the area so bear in mind even if its not cancer you may still require an operation. do explain your fears and ask to be early on their op list so you have more chance of being well enough to go home... also discuss doctors preferences... eg some will put in a drain even for a WLE but most do not... having a drain may mean you are more likely yo be kept in... if your doc isnt the type of person to let you home the same day you can ask if any of them do it as a day case and ask to be referred to that doc.

if you were to need treatment such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy they are usually given as outpatient treatments... herceptin can be given as an outpatient or sometimes even from home.

if they suggested a bigger operation such as mastectomy this does usually require an overnight stay but you can discuss this with them at the time if this were to be necessary.

fingers crossed none of it will be necessary.

Love Lulu x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi and thank you for understanding - I am trying to stay positive at the moment but the dark thoughts still keep creeping into my mind dont know what /how I will be if the news is bad - why is life such a b---h at times???? and just for those who still may be awaiting a core biopsy it is bearable dont stress

Well that explains how the normal anxiety people have waiting for appointments and results is worse for you.

I was offered lots of other options to save me having needles but in each case was able to decide that the needle option was the way to go. they even offered me gas anasthesia instead of whatever it is they pump into your viens, but said i would be realy ill afterwards.

they do seem much better at recognising and handling deep concerns, as long as you stress how bad it is right from the outset. In the past I have been held down, or told to pull myself together, or the guilt one--think about what some other of our patients have to go through. But nowadays the listen and try to accomodate you.

There is a lady on this site that had a general anasthetic for WLE.Wish i could find it, I would love to know how she got on. Lots of posts here from people who had op in morning and came home same day, even with drains in. They may be able to move you to a different hospital that can better manage your concerns.

So do not think it is negative or a week in hospital, there might be other options.

Realy feel for you having two days of waiting left--let us just all cross everything we can( and i can cross my arms now!!! Hurrah!) that you get a good result

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again yes its the treatment thing thats so scary Ijust dont do hospitals - i am ok with out patient treatment but could not stay in hospital not even overnight and as for general anestetic never never never!!!! the core biopsy was bearable and as far as I know they took 10 samples but they did not mention nodes to me - I have a husband but really I am the strong one in this realationship not him so not much help i am afraid to say - i have a daughter who is better at these things but then dont want to shoulder her with this either - Just praying that I am in the clear 50 per cent when I get the results but dont feel hopeful for some reason -

I bet you are worried, its aweful waiting for results. I get a bit of a hint from what you say though that its more the idea of the proceedures you might have to go through if it is cancer that freaking you out. Did they find any nodes they wanted to biopsy at the time?? or did you just have a core biopsy?

I am the worlds worst when it comes to do with anything metal entering or leaving my body. For me the biopsies were very distressing. The core biopsy realy did not hurt, just the whole proceedure had me screaming and in tears.

My results did come back negative, but I made sure at the consultation that the surgeon and the breast nurse knew about quite how exreme my problem was and the were so good about it.

when the day came for my op they gave me tranqualizers for the little node proceedure they had to do and for the first time in my life I managed to control my fear and it was realy stress free. And the aneasthatist talked about my worries and gave me gas whist they were giving me the pr-op injection. The stitches are soluable so I dont have to go through a procedure there. There is a very good chance now that I will not need radio or chemo therapies and that I have been sorted.

I realy hope your results come back ok, it is reassuring to here that 50% of results are benign. If you are unfortunate to need furthur treatment it is not necesserily going to be as protracted as some people have to have. There are so many different types of cancer and they are caught at different stages.

Are you by yourself through this or do you have some support?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi oldandlumpy
I have had my core biopsy and get the results on Tuesday soooo worried at the outcome I had calcifications that they said looked suspicious and now I am quaking

hi weemee---have you had your core biopbsy or are you waiting to have one??

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Lulu34 now i am more concerned as they said it looks suspicious!!!! I simply could not deal with hospital/surgery etc!!!!

I had a similar experience to Choccie. One lump confirmed as cancer at dx, and then had a various scans to check for mets. During the MRI a second area showed up in affected breast. Had a biopsy and proved negative.
Whilst both the breast surgeon and radiologist indicated they did not think the second area was malignant, given my diagnosis they had to investigate. Had it been cancerous it would have changed my treatment plan.
Hope this helps.
Nikki x

weemee i work in nreast screening and loads of women have benign results.... about 50% of those biopsied are benign.

they should give you a bit of an idea of what they think eg if they think its benign they may say they arent worried about or if they think its cancer they may say it looks very suspicious.... but until they get the pathology they cannot be 100% certain what they are dealing with and very ocassionally something that is thought to be cancer comes back benign and something we think looks benign comes back as malignant.

i have had 3 biopsies over the last 5 years two were cancer and one was fat necrosis.

keeping my fingers crossed

Lx

weemee, as OAL says, loads of people do.

I had a second core biopsy on something that showed up on an MRI and it was absolutely fine, normal changes to breast tissue. Unfortunately I'd already had a positive result on a different lump so I still ended up having treatment.

MOST of the people who are referred to a breast clinic leave there with a result that it's NOT cancer. There are other breast conditions that are benign and are either left alone or need treatment that ISN'T cancer treatment.

i would think lots of people get posative results. But once they know they have cancer they do not need to come on this site anymore. In the radiologists manual they are told to report 5 types of result from U1 to U5

U1--normal breast tissue
U2--benign lump
U3--could be benign could be cancer--need more info
U4--probably cancer but need more info to be sure
U5--definately cancer.

so seems like its not an exact science. I am U5, but even once if it is cancer there are lots of differnt types, from slow growing kittens like mine that are not likely to get out of the cyst and into the breast, to more agressive beasts that need more treatment to tame.

Guest user
Not applicable

Has ANYONE had results back from a core biopsy that have been negative (i.e. no signs of cancer cells?????)

Guest user
Not applicable

All the best for next week .. why are we talking guns ? sorry I was told as the consultant was about to take the sample the nurse sad its just sounds a bit like a staple gun .. I got good hearing but didn't even blink deff didn't make me jump. Sorry I know some are scared of needles & such but I think you have to take into concideration there are newbies who not yet posting & maybe reading these awaiting these proceedures seeing something like that is going to make them 10 times more stressed out than they already are.

Guest user
Not applicable

thank you sandytoes results nx wk will let u no 🙂 and yes i am keeping myself busy going 2 a party 2nite lol x

Guest user
Not applicable

Ouch! It's not very pleasant is it! Waiting is horrid, but the worst thing you can do is sit around and google possibilities. Enjoy the weather, keep yourself busy and look after yourself and results will be with you super speedily. Fingers crossed for good news. x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi girls,had my core biopsy yesterday they took bits from both lumps a bit sore today at times but not in pain.thank u for all ur support and advice.just want nx wk 2 hurry up so i will no wot result is xx

Guest user
Not applicable

brill thank you for reply was dreading not wearing it lol 🙂 xx

it doesnt make a difference if you have deoderant on as they clean your skin prior to biopsy anyway.... so just put it on.... it will be fine.

good luck

Lxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi bbt,
Not sure on the deodorant, I went to my initial consultation appt not knowing I would have mammo, u/s and biopsy same day, so I guess I was wearing deodorant at the time.

If you're unsure, I guess you could go without.

Good luck for tomorrow and hope everything goes ok for you.

Bev x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi girls got my core biopsy tomorrow read online that u shouldnt where deodrant 2 biopsy is that right??? :)xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry, predictive text strikes again! Radiologist not biologist!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi bbt, just to wish you good luck for weds. I had the vacuum biopsy and it didn't hurt, I was offered more anaesthetic at any time by the lovely biologist and had two radiographers holding my hand too. You'll be fine flower, lots of lovexx

What the others have said. Good luck with it. The local anaesthetic going in is the worst bit, and nowhere near as painful as a dental anaesthetic. The actual biopsy doesn't hurt at all as long as they shove lots of anaesthetic in, and if it does hurt a bit, squeak and ask for more anaesthetic!

glad you got it sorted BBT.... good luck with your appt xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi girls just to let u no i got my biopsy appointment today yay!!! about time hey.its on weds afternoon core biopsy.thanks for all the advice and support will let u no how it goes xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I had the "gun shots" before each sample was taken. I wasn't asked but but the Dr Radiologist did as the noise if not expecting it can make you jump (not a good idea even though you are locked into the mammo machine). No pain I wasn't allowed to look either although I did sneak a peak.

Quite bruised after but not too bad.

I had 5 samples taken from the dodgey area as no lump just calcifications. Waited 2 weeks for results "inconclusive" so onto surgery as recommended. Glad I did as calcifications & surrounding area turned out to be a 2.3cm area of DCIS.

Take care
Lynne

Guest user
Not applicable

OMG the biopsy is not that bad, I love U OAL, but i don't think it neccesary to have the gun shot in the air,my procedure was very calm and pain free once the local ani was put in, please don't be over concern.
take care
Tx

just to say they are right about the biopsies not hurting. I have a huge huge phobia about proceedures and they took two core biopsies and apart from the phsycological problem I had with the whole metal in my body bit, I can tell you that it was completely painless. I asked them to fire the gun in the air so i could hear what it sounded like and that helped me, but if its the pain you are worried about--no problem there is none.

Guest user
Not applicable

The waiting and wondering is absolutely horrible. My advice would be to speak to your GP tomorrow and tell them just how much upset this is causing you. They may then be able to chase it up and get answers for you. If you don't you then have to wait til Monday to find anything out and that weekend can feel like a lifetime. Good luck. Hope you get somewhere tomorrow. x

Guest user
Not applicable

thank you guys.am really confused radioligist said im sure dr j will want them biopsied they even reasured me that they numb the areas so it wouldnt hurt me and they would do biospy with another u.s told me to take care and off i went home she also said it will need to be done with in the week.ive rang hospital twice now last time being this morning the docs receptionist said your notes are with him now so you will hear very shortly that was this morning about 930 still nothing. if he doesnt agree they need looking at then fine great!!but wish they would let me no as radiologist seemed so certain he would want biospy done.xxx

first of all, big sympathy for being here and not knowing what on earth is going on. Its such a shock to here that your little bump needs more investigating and then not to have a definate date for the next stage must be sending you crazy. Even when you have a date for the the biopsy or the test result it can be a nightmare waiting, but to be in limbo like you land must be worse.

I realy would get back to the unit to see if your appointment has been fixed, mistakes do happen, I have read posts on here where women were waiting for chemo and got lost in the system, and more or less had to book their own appointments

you need to know the date. even if it is furthur in the future than you hoped you need to have it. There are all sorts of timetable standards nowadays, i am sure the helpline know what they are. And they would tell you the best way of chasing it.

this is a great forum you have found, any advice you need on what to do next should be forthcoming whenever you need to ask a question, or just sympathy when you need to tell someone how you feel. its not always easy to be totally honest with freinds and family because you feel the need to keep a brave face. here you can let it all hang out.

Its thursday today. try and get something moving tomorrow otherwise you have a whole weekend where nothing will be happening for you

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

When I was recalled back to the screening clinic after a my first national screening mammo. I was told I'd have 3 tests; another mammo of the area they were looking at; a clinical exam & US. (The One-stop shop)

After this was completed I was also told I'd need a biopsy as the 3 tests didn't establish one way or other if looking at something suspicious or not.The appointment book came out & I left to come back 2 days later for the biopsy. Had to wait 2 weeks for the results but I'm surprised you haven't received your biopsy appointment.

I'd be on the phone to chase. Mainly because when I was referred for radiotherapy after my surgery I didn't receive the appointment & when I chased fopund I had been missed!

Call them & check it out. Until biopsy results come through you can't move on hopefully with good news.

Take care
Lynne

We normally biopsy it there and then or at least on the day if we see something even if it's something benign looking. Or if not we would give you an appt before you leave so you know when your getting it done. It's horrible waiting for things but I think you have every right to find out what's happening so call up the unit and find out when it's happening.

Luluxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again bbt,
Gosh, you're head must be all over the place and I understand where you are now. I'm not sure how long you should be waiting, but if you really are agonising over everything and going slowly insane, give the helpline on here a ring, or ring your GP or speak to your BCN if you have one yet?

Time really does seem to stand still and the wait is excrutiating.

Sorry I can't really answer your question, but don't think you're expecting too much too soon, it's your body and you need to know what is going on for your own sanity, or at least have some indication as to when things will move for you, next steps etc - if it was me I would keep yourself at the forefront of their minds, just to make sure I hadn't dropped off the list, but unfortunately they will be busy in the bc clinics.

Sending a hug
Bev x

Guest user
Not applicable

hello bb. it is normal to sit in the waiting room , but you could give the breast unit a ring and see if they have an appointment date for you. your not impatient... just concerned xx my breast unit has a one stop clinic , so all my tests were carried out on the same day. then its back to waiting , give them a ring they wont mind x

Guest user
Not applicable

am i being impatient???

hi ladies i had a u.s last friday was told by radioligist that she was sure the doc would want me to have a biopsy as there is two lumps in my breast i only thought i had one.i still havent heard anything how long have people had to wait for needle biospy?? i am beginning to think they cant be that worried as it will be a week tomorrow since u.s but dont want to think to positive just to be knocked down if it is bc or if it is normal to have to wait a week or sadly they are just very busy in bc clinic. wot do you guys think am i just excepting to much to quickly?? xx