Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anesthetic, tiredness

7 REPLIES 7
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: anesthetic, tiredness

I too am feeling exhausted having had an anaesthetic. In fact I feel as if I have drunk half a bottle of wine. It's as if things are happening around me and I am on the outside looking in. Still its only day 2 and each day I feel a little better. I did go for a walk today spurred on by everyones comments about walking dogs. Thank you.
elf

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you everyone. these answers are very helpful

Guest user
Not applicable

This is the problem when you are sent home the same day - it makes you think that the operation was minor and you should be feeling better. Any form of surgery, especially invasive where bits of you are cut off, will have a real impact on the body. The body is now trying hard to heal itself and loads of energy is put into that process. Also, the anaesthetic does have an impact too. A lot can depend on your age and general state of health before surgery. An elderly person who is unwell can take ages to shake off the surgery, whereas a healthy child will be bouncing around in a day or two, even after major surgery.
You must listen to your body. Go for a gentle walk to begin with and see how you cope. If you feel tired, have a rest - remember most of the healing happens when we are resting.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I found the anaesthetic knocked me out for 5 days after my WLE, just began to feel my old self when I had to go back in for a re-excision a week after the first. Again felt really tired for 5 days. Still managed to walk the dog every day and walked up to the shops for some retail therapy. Found I came to a grinding halt @ 5pm and was fit for nothing but bed. It doesnt last forever though. I think the stress etc gives me a feeling of general tiredness but then I haven't had an uninterrupted nights sleep since the end of Jan and it feels more like it did when I had my babies and was up for a feed @ 2am. Hey ho, you get given nothing you can't cope with. Its good to focus on nice positive things like being around to see bluebell woods or to hear all about my daughters day at school etc.
Nicky xx

i was tired for about 4 to 5 days, then felt a lot better. The anaesthetic did affect me quite a lot when i think about it, it made me tearful as well as tired, but its hard to know what was emotional stress, what was the anesthetic and what was the physical trauma of the operation

Hi Ladies,
I have had 3 operations in three months, and while l felt tired l still managed to walk two dogs as soon as l came home, ended up having a aux clearance and mx on the right side, and like Finty struggled a bit with the two dogs in the left hand! but we are getting there, makes it more fun, luckily my dogs do not pull, well not too much!
For me the tiredness is just down to all the stress!!l feel as though l am over the anaesthetic, but not over the stress!! Only 3 weeks since my mx, so early days!
Sandra xxx

We are all different, but I was certainly walking my dogs the day after surgery. Found it very hard holding the leads in my left hand though, as had surgery on right hand lymph nodes. Still can't get used to it 8 months later!

Guest user
Not applicable

anesthetic, tiredness

I had my wire assisted operation on June 2nd and was sent home the same day, partly to avoid MRSA risk!
I have been quite tired and wonder how much is the trauma of the operation and how much is having the anaesthetic in my system.
When will I be able to go for a one mile walk?