cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anual leave and sickness

21 REPLIES 21
bigfub

Re: anual leave and sickness

Finally spoken to the union rep and he's going to be contacting Vicky's HR and following up with a letter 🙂 He believes they haven't handled things correctly either so there is definitely a case it would seem.

Geraldine

In relation to hospital appointments, treatment, etc- the DDA which covers cancer patients, requires an employer to make "reasonable changes" for an employee. This can include time off, without penalty to attend appointments for anything to do with your cancer. This is most definitely a reasonable change. I'd consult CAB if your employer says you have to use lieu or holiday as this effectively is discrimination.
Geraldine

bigfub

All with the union now and waiting for a reply from the rep to last weeks email... Phoned and left a message earlier but still waiting 😞

reemiechick

Stuart

How did you get on with the HR lot at Vicki's work?

R

bigfub

Hi R,

I've been doing a lot of research into this but I'm talking to Vicky's union rep this afternoon to try and progress things a bit further.

There are a couple of leaflets you can access through this site entitled "Breast Cancer & Benefits" and the Employ Charter but also worth tracking down "Cancer Working Guidelines" through the cipd website.

Hope that helps and all the best,
Stuart

reemiechick

Hi bigfub,

I just don't trust my boss as he has been a nightmare ever since I've worked for him so I just want to make sure I get everything I'm entitled too. They said what I've been paid is discretionary and they won't pay more than that! Have you spoken to ACAS? CAB recommend calling them re employment law.

R

bigfub

SSP is calculated from a 1st period of absence and then runs for 28 weeks in total. I'm assuming that the 4 weeks pay from August was your company sick pay which is SSP for 4 weeks topped up to your full salary by your company.

This will explain better than I can though -

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1074411610

I'm having a big row with my wife's HR department over this type of thing so have been doing a lot of research 😞

June_BCC

Hi

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.
In the meantime you may find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00.

I have also attached a link to our publication on Breast Cancer and Benefits.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.716/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publication...

Best wishes
June, moderator

reemiechick

Hi there all,

I have just undergone wide local excision and axillary node sampling and am recovering at home. They are still investigating etc and treatment has not begun. I have been off work for 4 weeks and received full pay for August. Work mentioned i would now be on SSP for 20 weeks. Does this sound about right?

westie123

Hi, i was off work for 3mths last year and had anual leave booked during this time, when i returned to work i was allowed to re-book these, while off they paid me full pay which i could get for 6mths.Unfortunately since having breast cancer ive been off since march and went onto half pay in may, we have a rolling year when it comes to sick pay.I have a very understanding area manager who says i can go back p/t temporarily when i feel im ready to go back to work,any hospital apps i have i will either use my day off or take time off but make up the hours. My manager will not let me use annual leave for them, so if i return in sept as planned i have 7wks holliday to book before xmas. juliex

gingery

mazaroo

Hi all...if anyone has a copy of those newspaper articles or could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated ...Maz

gingery

Hi Ladies,

these companies amaze me. They don't court your future committment to them at all.

I must praise my employer no end as my contract only allows 6 weeks full pay and 13 weeks half they have paid me in full for over 9 months and I'm now on a re intergration plan of 3 5 hour mornings per week.

I think that once your signed off your unfit for work and their insurance will not cover them if you return while covered by a certificate this in turn would mean you can't take holiday while off sick likewise if you have untaken holiday they have to either carry it over or pay you for it (think this was a court ruling some time ago).

As if we need work/financial stress on top of everything else!

ps. I don't think they have to allow you paid time off for hospital appointments but they could be a little sypmathetic

bud932

hi there

I dont think they can do that. You cant be off sick and have holidays and then revert to sick if you have a line til sept. I woek for ayrshire and arran health board and i had 15 days hols left at the end of the financial year but i am only being allowed to carry 6 forward and not pleased with that but contacted my unuion and they wee useless. I am still off work and have been for just over a year and now on unpaid leave which is a burden but not yet fit to go back but getting there. Its awful that we have to cope with this terrible disease and with the crapwork throws at us. As someone elsessaidits treated the same way as being off with a cold etc.
Keepus posted as tohow you get on.

Regards

GAIL X

Weetricia1

You should not have to use annual leave.You should be allowed to attend hospital appointments.Check out the Disability Discrimination Act.

dejay

I am presently undergoing radiotherapy and have been told I have to make all of my time up, so I can go for the appointments but obviously I need to work over to make up this time.
Our sickness policy changed in March so you were only able to be paid for 7 days in a full year, so this was used up as I had to have two operations, this was a blow when I received my wages. When I said I was coming back after the sick note had run out, I said I needed to go for the results, I was told it would be better to use a day's holiday, I am now using a weeks leave to go for 5 days radiotherapy. I think some companies seem to think it is the same as having a headache or cold!

julia_b

I do shift work, am I supposed to carry one getting my shift allowance while I'm off sick?
Julia

Janet_BCC

Dear MaidMarion

The Breast Cancer Care Employ campaign booklet may be useful for you (BCC168). Below is a link but you can also order a copy free of charge from our website

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.30/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationI...

Kindest regards

Janet

Facilitator

Weetricia1

Maz/Marion,law relating to this changed at the start of the year.There were articles in several newspapers.You are entitled to keep your holidays.I think the articles were inThe Daily Mail and Yorkshire Post.I returned to work at this time and had argued to keep my holidays.The law changed a couple of weeks later.
Tricia

mazaroo

hi both I dont get paid for sickness or hosp visits ...I have used up all my annual leave almost when I went in for surgery x3 but it has stiil left me struggling financially to a point ..i have tried to take this up with my manager /HR only to be told its company policy and it applies to every employee regardless of the illness ..so cancer apparently is just like ringing in with a cold headache hangover !!!! it does piss me off slightly but there isnt a lot I can do is there ? I have read the DDA from back to front

Maz

Daisy_do

I was a teacher at a college and found that the local union rep was absolute wonder. Colleges are notorius for quick twists and turns and in the end you dont know where you are. I would think that the sick cert works first so get your rep on the case - this would let HR know that you are not an easy target and so they should not make up their minds of what to do with you when sick.

Good luck - this could be a win or no win but the rep would certainly help.

MaidMarion

anual leave and sickness

I have been off work now for 4 months and have today had a letter from my employer stating that I will be on half ay from my next pay date. Fair enough I knew about this however I have 13 days holiday remaining. I work for a college so we run on academic year. We can carry over 5 days to the next year. So I email our HR dept to ask if under the circumstances I could carry over the 13 days. The reply I have is to take my remaining annual leave during July/August (for which I would be paid normal salary) and then your sickness absence period would automatically resume. I have a certificate that runs until mid September. Can they do this?????????????