anxious waiting for mammogram results

Hi,

Just wanted to know if any one else gets really  worked up over mammograms. Had my mammogram 11 days ago and was told had to wait two weeks for results by letter. This is my second one the first they told me there and then which was so much better. well now my mind as usually as gone into overdrive, keep waiting for post man and expecting the bad news again stomach is all over the place . Had to wait five weeks for my mammogram results in 2013 and was diagnosed with a 8 mm breast cancer no nodes involved but her2 positive went through horrendous times with clots on the both lungs with chemo and tamoxifen than heart problems having to stop my herceptin after 7 sessions so hence the negativity. 

Hi Nannalou…it is torturous waiting for results, and I don’t think it gets any better with time…those two weeks feel like an eternity, and all sorts of scenarios can run through your mind!

We need to accept that worrrying is OK, and part of our natural survival mechanism.  It is easy to blow our fears out of proportion, so it’s important to put our worries back into perspective…easier said than done, I know.

One tip I try is to only allow myself a max 10 minute ‘worry window’ each day, where I can think about the ‘future me’. Outside of this ‘window’ worries are only about the ‘present me’!  Does that make sense?

Hope your results letter arrives soon ?..take care, J x