376144posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any one else had problems with Tesco?

16 REPLIES 16
Molennium

Re: any one else had problems with Tesco?

Suicide rates have fallen since people have been less able to take large quantities of paracetamol and aspirin on impulse. having them in packaging is also a deterrent.

so this isn't intended to be bad for people, it's a way of stopping people from self harm

Mole

LooLoo

I won't be visiting our Tesco pharmacy again. I was diagnosed in March so still all reasonably fresh and have had various problems as I have gone through treatment. I applied for my exemption card and went to use it at Tesco for the first time. Explained I had a card that I hadn't used before and asked which boxes to complete. She asked to see the card which was fine. Then she said, are you terminally ill then? Charming!

topsymo

Just one more excellent reason for avoiding Tesco before it gobbles up every single aspect of our lives!

belinda

My daughter had a barrage of questions when she popped into Boots for some cystitis sachets.
x

ariadne

Yes it seems to be Boots and Tesco who are difficult. As a trial I bought a pack of 32 paracetamol today from Lloyds chemist, no hassle whatsoever, so clearly Tesco have no obligation to insist on this invasion of privacy by some one whom I doubt had any medical qualifications whatsoever.

alisonm

Hi all

Don't forget that people with cancer are now entitled to free prescriptions - get a form from your surgery and then you'll get sent a medical exemption card so you won't have to pay for prescriptions again. Surely better than buying anything over the counter. I get all my meds prescribed by my doctor - I've always been such a squeakily healthy person ( apart from terminal cancer that is 🙂 ) and reckon that everything that's wrong with me now is somehow connected to the cancer (or else is a side effect of one or other drug!). So fair dos.

I was questioned today in a Boots if a packet of loratedine (hay fever/allergy tablets) were for me and if I'd had them before. Why on earth should they be interested in who I'm buying them for? They were freely available and not behind the counter so something you had to request, so I surely ought to be able to buy them without any interrogation. Honestly!

Alison x

ariadne

Hi everyone, thanks for advice and help. Generally I am just so fragile mentally. usually I cope well with a big smile on my face and lead an (almost) normal life. But the slightest 'extra' stress just sends me into distress and deep depression that does not lift for a few days. Have made an appointment with my GP - November 2!! Will carry on lying until then if I need anything. Will just have to be creative with lies.
love to all, Ariadne xx

sandra44

I had similar prob with Asda at the tills,had bought packet of migraine tablets and two packets of paracetemol and the till wouldn't let the cashier put them through....it's a nonsense,told the cashier that I would just go to another til and buy them separately ,which I did !

Sandra x

renee

i don't have a problem with paracetamol, just go to the gp and i have them on repeat prescription, the pharmacist would not ever question the docs prescription. if you get them prescribed they are usually the higher strength. if you buy them and questioned just say they are for a headache.
in saying that the pharmacists are usually required to ask what you want them for and what other meds you might be on as a lot of meds contain paracetamol and they do not want you overdosing, and i know most of us are well clued up about our meds but there are a lot of people out there who are not.
reneexx

Kelley

I have paracetamol on repeat prescription.
Kelley

starfish

At the moment I am on Arimidex. I have tried several times unsuccessfully to see my own GP for the six month checkup without success. The pharmacy in the surgery know my condition and they just keep repeating the tablets. He is always on holiday and then fully booked with the backlog of patients built up during his holiday and then he goes on holiday again and it all repeats itself. The pharmacy said "oh your under the hospital so its okay anyway"
My husband has arthritis in the spine and takes 3 x400mg of ibuprofen a day under the advice of hospital. He is over 60 and we are on a pension so this quantity even at the price supermarkets charge gets expensive. I ordered him 2 x86 packs of 400mg ibuprofen online. No problems. I probably could have ordered more. Came within 2 days of ordering. Better service than the GP. He also cannot get appointments with our GP.

Grittomum

My doctor has prescribed me both paracetamol and ibuprofen on repeat, up to 200 paracetamol and 84 ibuprofen a month. I don't have secondaries i just have pain from wle and lymph node removal. I have prescription checked every 6 months. No queries at all, however we do have pharmacy attached to surgery so the girls in pharmacy are well aware of what I have anyway.
Alison

celeste

Hi ariadne.

Just to let you know that paracetamol is part of my pain (killing) regieme and consequently it is all prescribed for me by my GP. No cost and no hassle x

eal69eal

HI ariadne
Just wanted to say how I feel for you! I too have had the interrogation and now I always lie and confirm I am not taking any other medication. It's not just Tesco's either Boots are just the same. Unfortunately it's a sign of the litiginous society we live in as if you look at it from Tesco's point of view they probably have set procedures/questions they are obliged to ask but as a person it makes us feel crap and not helpful at all.
Cyber hugs ((( )))
E xx

CrystalT

This is really very very sad, as if things are not hard enough for us all.

I think that if you ask your GP or Oncologist you can actually be prescirbed these drugs and will then not have to face such questions again.

xxx

Marilf

Hi Ariadne
I have liver & bone mets, dx in 2003 -- I take ibuprofen 400mg three times a day for bone pain, and sometimes supplement this with paracetamol, so I'm a frequent visitor to pharmacies. Wherever I buy my 400mg ibuprofen -- and I usually try to buy them in the biggest package possible -- there are usually questions, and advice on how many to take, etc. I ALWAYS tell them that I have secondary BC in my bones & liver, and that I know how to take my tablets -- I've never been refused. If you find you're being refused, perhaps you could get your onc/BCN/Mac nurse/hospice to do a letter for you, confirming your dx & treatment -- I have one of these, and have found it useful (with locum doctors, complementary therapists, etc.). As we now don't pay for prescriptions, you could get one for your pain meds -- I think you'd still get questions about usage, especially with paracetamol, which is lethal in large doses, hence the small packs.
Hope it all gets sorted out for you.
Marilyn x

ariadne

any one else had problems with Tesco?

I bought 16 tablets of paracetamol and ibuprofen from a pharmacy in Tesco yesterday. I was very distressed to be interrogated as to what I wanted them for. I was so cross that I said terminal cancer and burst into tears and fled, what else did they expect. Thinking rationally, refusing 16 tablets of Paracetamol to a terminal cancer patient is outrageous. I can drink myself into stupor and smoke myself silly with alcohol and cigarettes from Tesco without question, yet I have to tolerate this infringement of my privacy to buy a small quantity of paracetamol.
Has anyone else had this problem? how do they deal with it? Is it possible to get a repeat prescription from the GP for paracetamol to avoid an inquisition? It's not the cost that is an issue, just the right to privacy. Generally I have found pharmacists most unhelpful, I have to lie as to what is wrong with me - the truth just results in a refusal to help and being told to go and see my GP with all the endless hassle that involves.