cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone from the north east?

50 REPLIES 50
Lynni

Re: anyone from the north east?

I'm sure we'll find each other too. Looking forward to it. See you then.

alisonm

Hi Lynni and Paula

11.00am at Toby in Kingston Park sounds perfect for me too - I need to be at Kingston Park anyway tomorrow am to pick up a car seat from Mothercare. Coincidence or what?!!

Not sure what I'll be wearing yet - house is in chaos as two rooms are virtually empty and all furniture and clothes crammed into remaining space. But I've short brown (ok, greyish brown!) hair and I'm about 5'4". I'm sure we'll find each other.

Looking forward to meeting you both.

Alison

paula1969

I feel like we are on a dating website trying to describe what we look like! Really looking forward to Thursday.

Alison - hope you are able to join us too.

Lynni

I'd rather wear a red rose if you don't mind! I have my name badge from work, but I look like I've had a few too many. I'm 45, have light brownish, chin length bob. I'll be wearing trainers as have a swollen foot due to DVT, oh the joys of cancer. My 11 year old son helped me add the picture, otherwise I would be stuck with the egghead.

Looking forward to Thursday.

paula1969

I will wait just inside the entrance. Think I may have a name badge from a training course somewhere, will put it on until we find each other if I can find it. You feel free to wear your red nose though!
To give you and Alison a bit of a clue, I am 39 and have a blondish shoulder length wig. If I knew how I would put my photo on the website but not sure I will figure that out before Thursday!

Lynni

Ok Paula, will I wear the red rose or you!!!!!

paula1969

Hi, 11 am at the Toby at Kingston Park suits me fine. Will see you there unless any posts to the contrary before then. Paula

Lynni

I would prefer Metrocentre if thats ok, don't like driving in town. My husband's just suggested the Toby at Kingston Park. Anytime suits me too. What about late morning, say 11am. See what Alison can do?

paula1969

I think Alison lives in Gateshead area so perhaps best to meet either in Newcastle or Metro Centre? I can do anytime or anyplace on Thursday so just let me know what is best for you.

Looking forward to meeting
Paula

Lynni

Hi Alison

Where do you live?

alisonm

hi all

carpet fitter been put back to following week as i haven't finished stripping the window frame! so i could make it if people are still interested in meeting up for a chat on 29th. morning perhaps better for all still? when/where??

best

alison

paula1969

Hi All

I received a call back from BCC on Friday re the new SECA group which is starting in Stockton.

The group will meet at the Butterwick Hospice in Stockton every other Wednesday evening from 6 pm to 8 pm. The start date has been slightly delayed and is likely to be mid to late March. To register your interest in the group you need to contact the Sheffield office on 0845 077 1893. They will then send out full details including map etc shortly before the group commences.

Lynni

Hi Paula

Wehey!!!! What good news, you must be so relieved. Fingers crossed it continues. I'm going to look at the Glasgow thing, let you know if i'm going.

paula1969

Wanted to share my good news with you all.

Have just received the results of yesterdays CT scan which shows all tumours in my lungs, chest wall and lymph nodes have reduced at the half way stage of my 6 cycles of Docetaxel. The largest tumour behind my sternum has reduced from 5 cm to 3.5 cm!! Only you guys will understand what a huge huge relief it is to know that the chemo is actually doing something. Think this whole secondary cancer thing is going to be one heck of a roller coaster ride!!!!!

On another note, I have just registered for the Living with Secondary Breast Cancer Course up in Glasgow on 17 Feb - is anyone else going to it?

paula1969

Alison - seems a shame for you to miss out. If we made it in the afternoon would that allow you to come? Lynne said she could do anytime on that day and I am sure I could organise for my son to be collected from school by his grandparents if necessary.

Lynni

Hi Alison, do you know what time the fitter will be finished?

alisonm

Hi all

at the moment i'm having a carpet fitted on morning of 29th, but if for any reason that gets put off i'd be interested too, if it's in or near newcastle.

best wishes to all
alison

paula1969

Lynne, the morning of Thursday 29th Jan will suit me just fine. I suggest we decide location nearer to the time. If others want to join us it may be more central to meet up in Newcastle but if it is the two of us then we may as well go somewhere more local.

All - anyone up for coffee and a good chin wag next Thursday please get in touch.

I have telephoned for the details of the new SECA group in Stockton and someone is going to ring me back tomorrow so I will post the details when I have them.

Take care everyone
Paula

maddison

Hi there

I'm from Darlington but meet up with a few ladies (including Mills) from middlesbrough and Northallerton about once a month. /will definately be going to the Secca gp in Feb

Maddison

mojomac

heya i just saw someone from middlesbrough ..im from here but ive lots u i think it was ang i would love to hear from you xxxxx

Lynni

Hi Paula

Just had a quick look to see if any replies going to bed early tonight - to sleep! Anytime at all for me, hopefully some others will want to come as you've already said the more the merrier. Do you want to meet in the morning is that better for you or maybe wait and see if any more replies and arrange time and place then.

I'm looking forward to it already.

paula1969

Hi Lynne, next Thursday 29th Jan works well for me. I will need to collect my son from school but can do any time apart from between 3 and 4 pm. Just let me know what time suits you best.

Would anyone else in the area like to join us? The more the merrier - I am sure it will be good to talk to other people in the same situation.

Lynni

Hi Paula, glad you feeling abit better about things, fingers xd for ct scan. Coffee and chat sounds good, maybe see who wants to come and then organise place to meet which suits all. I've actually just returned to work this week but on phased return, so next 2 weeks or so I'm pretty flexible. Maybe try for next week sometime, what about Thursday 29th.

paula1969

Hi All

Been to see oncologist today. Had a long chat about treatment options and feeling a bit more positive about things. Hopefully tomorrows CT scan will show a decent shrinkage.

It would appear from thread that the new SECA group in Stockton is going to be way forward for meeting up. I will ring the Sheffield office and get the details and post them here for everyone.

In the meantime, would the local girls like to have a coffee and a chat. If so, please indicate best day, time and place and we will try to get something organised. I am currently on long term sick leave so can do most times apart from the 5 days after my chemo (next one is 4 Feb). I drive so location not a problem for me either.

Paula

Sam_BCC

Hi Paula1969

Just to answer your question above. The new SECA group in Stockton is the closest one to Newcastle.

For further details please give the Sheffield office a call on 0845 077 1893.

Best wishes
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Lynni

Paula it must have been an awful shock all this happening after 5 years. My secondaries were dx at original dx in Jan 07 in bone and a year later in peretinium and ovaries. Luckily not had chemo yet, tamoxifin for one year and now femara are doing a decent job so far. Good news about your liver and I hope CT scan shows improvement. Fingers xd for you. I would like to meet up sometime just say when.

Heather, nice to hear from you too. I know Alisonm was trying to organise something in Newcastle, if this happens I would like to come along as well.

Hey I hope this doesn't sound like i'm desperate, I do have friends and family lol.

Take care everyone

xxx

Dudley

Hello all

I'm in the North East Whitley Bay area DX may 2007 just finished Herceptin in Dec ( after masc, chemo rads & tamoxifen)
hopefully this year will be reconstruction.
I would love to meet up if it happens in Newcastle Area I din't drive but count me in.

Heather xx

paula1969

Hi Claire & Lynne

I am currently being treated at Wansbeck for secondaries to lung and lymph nodes under chest wall. Am still waiting on bone scan to see if they are clear but good news is that liver looking good - have to take the positives where we can I guess. My original breast cancer was over 5 years ago so this was a major shock to say the least - I was beginning to feel safe!!

I have had 3 cycles of Docetaxol so far which does seem to be doing something as cough much better than it was. I am also having Herceptin every 3 weeks. Due to see oncologist tomorrow (Dr Lee) and then I am having a CT scan on Thursday morning to see how I am responding to chemo now I am at half way point.

Side effects of chemo aren't too bad, mostly joint and muscle pain which I think is quite common with Docetaxol but GP has prescribed some good painkillers and anti inflammatory's which keep it manageable.

Would be good to meet up with you both sometime.

Take care
Paula

Lynni

Hi Claire

Are you being treated at Wansbeck? What treatment are you having at moment. I was dx Jan 07.

billybob

Hi Paula

sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, I too am from Bedlington. I was diagnosed in june 2006, how are you getting on with the treatment?

Hope everyone is bearing up.

Take care

Claire xx

Lynni

Hi Paula1969

Sorry to hear of your recent dx with mets, its the pits isn't it. I'm from Ashington, work in Bedlington, so can't get much closer. Hopefully we can meet up sometime.

AlisonM - I'm would still like to meet up, but wonder as well if Stockton is the best way forward. Going to ring tomorrow for details. Good Luck with the decorating.

Take care xxx

paula1969

Hi all.

I am a new user as of today. I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in November and am currently half way through my chemo. I live in the North East (Bedlington which is about 10 miles north of Newcastle) and would love to meet up with others in the same situation if a get together is arranged.

Also, does anyone know if the new SECA group in Stockton is the closest one to Newcastle?

Paula

alisonm

Thanks sam.

I started this thread and kind of left it that i'd suggest a place and time for a get together perhaps in newcastle, perhaps in jan. well. here we are half way through jan and i haven't done anything about it! sorry folks. been too busy having scans and clinics, etc. it's a full time job having cancer, isn't it? thankfully i'm responding well to treatment which is great, and i'm now embarking on stripping paint from windows etc. desperate to get a couple of rooms decorated before the end of feb. am likely to want to leave any get together till march if that's ok with others. perhaps this SECA group in stockton is the best way forward??

alison

Sam_BCC

Hello everyone,

I know this thread hasn't been live for a while but I just wanted to let you all know about the new SECA group starting in late February in Stockton-on-Tees. The group will meet fortnightly, day and times to be confirmed later.

SECA is a support group that is run by Breast Cancer Care to offer women with a diagnosis of secondary breast cancer a supportive and safe environment to talk to one another about their experiences. The groups meet regularly, are ongoing and are facilitated by two fully qualified therapists.

If you are interested and would like more information, please contact the Sheffield centre on 0845 077 1893.

Best wishes

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Lynni

Hi Alison

That would be great, something to look forward to after Christmas.

alisonm

Hi all

I know that Newcastle isn't physically in the centre of the North East, but for a first meet perhaps it's the most convenient? We can always move around the region for any subsequent get together.

Can I suggest lunch one Saturday (Pizza Express on Dean Street down by the arches has a private room upstairs which we might be able to use - I went to someone's leaving do there recently and it was great to have a whole room to ourselves - or I can make enquiries about other places, or perhaps you can suggest somewhere?). I can't manage any Saturday this side of Christmas but would happily organise something for one Saturday in January or February. What do you think?

Best wishes.
Alison

horace

I grew up in Ferryhill and went to school in Durham.I taught in Newcastle in the 60s and lived in South Shields for a while.If there is a meet I would come up if possible.

Lynni

Can anyone suggest a meeting place, I'm pretty mobile at the moment so can travel.

ForumMember

about 45 miles I think

Debbie

Lynni

How far away is Hartlepool from Newcastle?

ForumMember

Hi Alison

I'm in Hartlepool and would love to meet up. Would have joined local BC group but BC nurse said she didn't think it was "quite me" which made me feel like a freak. Two years on and I still don't know what she meant......

Debbie

Lynni

Hi again

Seems we are quite spread out, I live 15 miles north of Newcastle, where do you think would be the most central?

chukki

Hi Alison, I had heard that they were going to knock down that car park (what a monstrosity). All our family are still in the NE (hubby and I are the only ones that live in Bolton) so still get across there but since my diagnosis in Sept 2006 and subsequent treatment we have only managed a couple of visits.

Private messages: - as far as I am aware there is no way of telling that you have a private message unless you read the thread it has been left in and you must be signed in, then only you, the sender and the moderators can see it - if that makes sense!

Fran

alisonm

Hi all

what next? I'm from Gateshead .. Chukki, don't know when you were last here but they're knocking down the get carter car park and redeveloping the old market area .. Gateshead centre is on the up! .. would love to meet up with others some time (although I'm going through chemo at the moment and have a 2 year old daughter so potentially finding time is tricky but where there's a will there's a way). Does anyone know how the private message system works? I can see how to send a private message, but have no idea how it gets picked up by the recipient. Presumably we could exchange contact details that way.

Alison

ang31a

Hi I'm from the North East too. Middlesbrough.
Angela

BessieBoo

Hello, Im in North Yorks too, near York
Shirley

ForumMember

Just a thought do you know what FINE stands for, well-- F**** I am sure you can guess. I isolated, N neurotic, E emotional.
Mills

chukki

I was from the North East (Gateshead) but now live in Bolton otherwise I would have jumped at the chance to meet up as it's so nice to meet others in the same situation.

Like you Alison when people asked how I was when I was having chemo my stock answer was always 'I'm fine' just so I didn't have to feel like I had to go into great detail of how crap I actually did feel.

Good luck

ForumMember

Hi Allison, I am in Nth Yorks but close to North East and a few of us get together for coffee and a chat
Do get in touch
Mills

Lynni

Hi Alison

I'm the north east, I'm definately up for it.

Lynne