72300members
378774posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone got any anti cancer diet advice?

RoadRunner

Re: anyone got any anti cancer diet advice?

Hi Freddie,

I found the book 'Foods to Fight Cancer' very useful. It gives all the science behind it, if you want that information, and is very readable. It is not contraversial (I won't even start on what I think about Jane Plant, and yes I read her Your Life in Your Hands cover to cover)and it is easy to adapt a normal diet to include the cancer fighting foods.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Freddie, I am also keen to find the best diet poss. My onc says just eat healthily and make sure you get at least your 5 a day. I've read the Jane Plant book too and found it good, I've gone on to oat milk and non dairy marg and cut out cheese, yoghurts, but spose the cakes and biscuits I've consumed may have dairy in!!! I've also read some threads saying their oncs didn't back up the Jane Plant theory. It's so hard isn't it, we just want so much to be doing the right thing to keep the bc away and yet there are so many differing views on food out there. I havent heard of the rainbow diet must have a look at that one. I spose the one thing all seem to agree with is lots of fruit and veg and cut back on meats...which I guess is why my onc just says eat healthily. Really interesting thread, will be good to hear what other ladies have been advised.
Love Smiler
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear Freddie the bristol cancer send nutritional advice free, it's a vegan diet.
Leadie

mrsblue

"The Genesis Breast Cancer Prevention Diet", by Dr Michelle Harvie, is also relevant to those who have had bc - even people with secondaries, such as myself.

There is a negative review of this book on the Amazon.uk website which contains a factual error, saying "I bet it warns against" two types of food. Both of these food types form a part of the suggested healthy eating plans.

elinda45

Hi Freddie

I've decided to follow the Plant Programme. The main message of that is no dairy (which I have found very hard but have stuck with) but the programme isn't only that. There is lots of other dietary advice besides. I ordered the book from Amazon. The author Prof. Jane Plant has had advanced breast cancer.

Although I found it a hard switch of diet I was lucky because my husband went on it too. He feels great on the diet, has slimmed down and everyone tells him he looks glowing (his skin looks great lucky thing!). I'm on chemo at the moment which I have found extremely gruelling but I've picked up well in between. My brother actually tells me I've never looked healthier so think the diet must be doing something!

I've actually ordered the Rainbow Diet book today. The place to go is: http://www.canceractive.com

Hope this may be helpful.
Elinda x

Guest user
Not applicable

And, Freddie, don't forget good quality dark chocolate which they also recommend, much to my delight! 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks so much for the advice. I am trying very hard to be healthy but sometimes I do give in. My problem is that I love all the wrong things eg cheese,crisps,cake. I'm reasonably healthy but now I feel so terrible if I dare to have a packet of crisps! I also find it quite hard to eat all these healthy organic things when I'm cooking for four including two fussy children!!!

Still must try harder! I suppose the key is to make little changes gradually.

Has anyone heard of 'The rainbow diet' one ?

I have read that all types of beans, green veg eg esp spinach ,sprouts,broccoli are strong anti-cancer foods. My children will be chuffed about the sprouts ( NOT !)

Love Freddie xxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Some people believe milk products are a no-no, because of the hormones they give dairy cows. A friend of mine (who was vegetarian) gave up milk products when she was diagnosed 10 years ago. Interestingly I gave up dairy at a similar time because of a low-grade lactose allergy, and here I am diagnosed with bc 3 months ago!
You can get lots of advice on the internet regarding nutrition & cancer, but the problem is separating out the scientifically proven advice from the old wives' tales. Good luck!
Phili x

Guest user
Not applicable

The lady who has the alright tit blog followed an anti-oxidant diet. It sounded rich in beetroot and spinach with no/little meat as they give the animals funny supplements which arent really good for us to eat.

Organic foods too.

Guest user
Not applicable

Freddie, I have been trying to find out the same!! Got a bk from Amazon along with the Susan Love one, but its a bit technical and not very good!
My MSN home page had 20 anti cancer foods the other day and I've looked at websites, now make sure i have my 5 a day, seeds, oily fish but i to would like more advice. I have looked at the leaflet on here, doesn't really say much, sorry BCC

LOve Debs xxxxxxx

Sam_BCC

Hi Freddie

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their advice you may find the BCC booklet 'diet and breast cancer' useful. It covers different types of diet and nutritional issues.

If you would like a copy just follow the link below:-

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/bcc_diet_09.pdf

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Guest user
Not applicable

anyone got any anti cancer diet advice?

Hi

I'm really keen to find a good book or some good information on an anti cancer diet.

Can anyone recommend any?

Thanks

Freddie