1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone got any anti cancer diet advice?

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: anyone got any anti cancer diet advice?

Like flinty, I have no problem cutting out a food group and eating a diet of approx 70% fresh fruit and vege is not difficult, lots of nuts and seeds, organic eggs and chicken too. I feel amazing and my skin is the best it has been in 20 years. My nails are stronger than ever too.

I don't 100% cut out dairy, but apart from all the previous discussion, simply it is not good for humans. It clogs the liver and produces mucus. I agree farming standards in the uk are not as bad as the USA, but still, mass produced milk is not a quality product. Milk and its so called benefits are a part of a massive marketing programme and a mulit-billion pound business.

Most of my cosmetics, cleaning products and perfumes are in the bin too. I have always hated the smell of cleaning products and have been sensitive to their effects. There are many natural alternatives.

I take lots of supplements. Flinty, you may be interested in the Chris Woollams books. I think he is a bit more scientific than the main book you recommend (which you obviously love the technical side of things!), and is not just about diet and lifestyle but about synthetic oestrogens. It encourages a lot of supplements too.

Another good book is "Whats In This Stuff?". Many food and cleaning additives are still in food in this country and yet are banned in other western countries.

Guest user
Not applicable

finty - I really do understand why you are trying everything you can regarding diet, etc, but I do wonder what exactly you have been left to eat, other than organic vegetables. Even then, have they been grown using animal manure? (I don't know if this is done.) Does this contain oestrogen? Can you let us know what your diet contains now?

I certainly wouldn't substitute soya for milk. Have you come across this article?

http://www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/behind_the_label/269552/behind_the_label_soya.html

Mel - Yes, sorry, it was about your sister-in-law's words. Also, someone said the same thing as you on an old thread, about giving up food and drink altogether and slowly killing ourselves that way!

Linda - Totally agree.

Ann x

finty

Sorry Linda I can't make the link work, but if you're intereested a google search of this sentence:

intensive lifestyle changes may affect the progression of prostate cancer

will take you to the article.

Summary of findings: Of the group that changed their diet, none had any progression of their prostate cancer after a year as confirmed by MRI scans and PSA levels. Of the control group 6 had sufficient progression to require treatment (rads or chemo).

PSA levels dropped 4% in the diet group, and were raised 6% in the control group - a 10% swing.

Unfortunately no such experiment will ever be conducted to measure the effect of diet on breast cancer, because it simply cannot be left untreated for a year. But this study is enough to convince me it is worth a try.

finty

Link still doesn't work - will try and sort out why.

finty

Hi Linda - this is the link that didn't work - or one of them anyway. I hope it works this time - but can't tell until I post the comment.

http://en-gb.www.mozilla.com/en-GB/firefox/central/

This is a highly significant study because it is the only research I am aware of where a group of people with active hormone related cancer were treated ONLY with diet and lifestyle changes. These were men with early stage prostate cancer - which can be left untreated if PSA (hormone) levels are monitored and if they stay low. One group adopted a near vegan diet, took exercise and had some form of counselling. The other group were a control and continued as before. The group that changed their diet did very significantly better, measurable by their PSA levels, and did not go on to require further treatment - some men in the control group did require further treatment. This is precisely the claim for prostate cancer that Jane Plant makes - that a near vegan diet with other lifestyle changes can keep PSA levels low enough to avoid further treatment.

The link above is to an abstract - to get the full details of the research you have to read some links that track back to the original article.

finty

Mel, Anne - I think the comment about baby milk and cows milk is relevant in terms of exposure. A baby human or cow would be fed it's mothers milk for a few months at a time when it is required to grow very quickly. We however consume the same milk, with all the growth hormones intended for the baby cow, for our whole lifetimes - huge difference!

We know that lifetime exposure to oestrogen is a cause of breast cancer - early periods and late menopause are highly significant. So even if the amount of oestrogen and IGF in milk is low, it doesn't seem unreasonable that it could contribute to hormone positive breast cancers over a lifetime of exposure - most of the carcinogens we are exposed to are in tiny quantities.

Linda - I would totally agree that we are exposed to oestrogens everywhere - and I am doing my best to avoid them everywhere - which is why I chucked out ALL my toiletries a couple weeks ago and started again. But to me it makes sense to cut them out where possible - and cutting out a food group to me is quite easy.

Diet may not cure cancer - although I will dig out a very interesting link for you in a minute - and I totally get that this is something that you feel isn't appropriate for you and I'm not trying to convince you to start - but it's horses for courses. I am trying lots if things and hope that TOGETHER they will have some impact - even if it only gives me another 6 months I'd happily do it. I find it pretty easy, I don't feel at all stressed about it - quite the opposite - I feel better than I have done in ages. I've lost weight, my skin is fantastic and I have more energy.

Guest user
Not applicable

Here is another Link which makes very interesting reading for anyone who hasnt read it. i was astounded a couple of yrs ago when i came accross this ,

http://www.safecosmetics.org/

Mel, Exactly, my sentiments too.

Guest user
Not applicable

Ann,
I feel exactly the same , if we are not carefull we could drive ourselves absolutely nuts over all of this, and im sure the stress of it all would proberly cause us much more damage than anything else.
The Dairy debate has been discussed many times on these forums and no doubt will continue to do so for a long time to come, but whatever peoples views and beliefs (and everyone is entiltled to their own views and beliefs and to follow the path which feels right for them) i think it is so important to do the research and then we can begin to realise just how complex all of this is. Diet/Dairy alone is not going to cure breast cancer, if it was as simple as that we would have a cure, i just think its sad sometimes to read of others who deny themselves things in life that they would have otherwise enjoyed based on some claims by the likes of Jane Plant and others, without looking at all the available evidence that there is regarding the oestrogen issue as a whole.
Linda

Guest user
Not applicable

Goodness me I get swayed one way then another lol.I have just read the link that linda put on here,I have now come to the conclusion that the only way to reduce the risk would be to stop eating,drinking,living.I don't think I will worry about it.

Mel xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh I see lol,you are referring to what my sister in law said,her words not mine 🙂

Mel xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Linda - I have just read your linked article. It seems that we could drive ourselves mad with worry over all of this - and probably are! As we have both said, the amount of oestrogen that may be in milk seems to pale into insignificance when faced with all these other dangerous products. I am absolutely certain that being on HRT for many years, together with many years of intense stress were the major causes of my bc. The stress of worrying about this is probably doing most harm!

Mel - What I meant was that cow's milk is just a food for us. It is a source of many nutrients that we require from some source or other. We are not having milk as a replacement for baby milk. You could say that eggs are not for human consumption, or any other animal product. Why single out milk?

Ann

Guest user
Not applicable

Mel - Unless you are vegetarian, I don't get the argument about cow's milk versus baby milk. If you eat other parts of the cow, what's the difference?

I don't know if it's my brain lol, but I don't understand this 🙂

Mel xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Linda - I must have posted at the same time as you, as you can see I was making the same point about oestrogen in other things. Snap!

Ann

Guest user
Not applicable

Totally agree with you Ann,
i have just posted a link above which refers to this very point.
Linda x

Guest user
Not applicable

Mel - Unless you are vegetarian, I don't get the argument about cow's milk versus baby milk. If you eat other parts of the cow, what's the difference?

finty - I haven't received a reply from DEFRA yet but I did get one from the Dairy Council. Now, I am sure you will say, "but they would say that, wouldn't they?" but the lady said that "the amount of oestrogen in commercial milk and dairy products is miniscule."

She also said that "oestrogen is present in the diet from a whole variety of sources" and "the amount that’s present correlates to the amount of fat present in the food in question ie low-fat dairy foods having less oestrogen than those with a higher fat content."

She also quoted, "At a meeting of the Committee on Carcinogenicity of Chemicals in Foods and Consumer Products in 2006 (an advisory body to the Department of Health), Dr George Mann, Associate Professor at the Animal Physiology department at the School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham reported that the current oestrogen content in cows' milk was in the range 1-2 pg/ml and that the levels had not changed in the past thirty years."

Apparently, pg/ml is picograms per millilitre. A picogram is one-trillionth of a gram per millilitre, by the way.

Now, I have no idea how much would cause us harm, but this does certainly sound low. Anyway, it appears that it is nigh on impossible to avoid oestrogen altogether, whether or not you consume dairy products.

Ann

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Finty,
Unforutnately the links you gave me arnt working, im just seeing the firefox home page? anyway as this topic is primarily regarding the amount of oestrogens in Dairy and in particular Milk, i wondered why there has been no discussion by anyone on this thread of the many different oestrogens found in other sources/products that we are all exposed to in the world today and which also have been shown to be absorbed through the body?. As i said in an earlier post it is impossible to avoid all oestrogens,we are surrounded by them !so how can giveing up Dairy alone possibly halt breast cancer?
Hopefully this link will be of interest to the Dairy dabate also.

http://www.breastcancernetwork.org.nz/docs/Insidious%20Oestrogens.pdf

Linda

finty

Mel it's the cheese I miss most too - but I haven't found it as difficult as I expected, and I haven't succumbed yet! I do get very tempted when everyone else is eating it though. It is also the only dairy product that doesn't seem to have an acceptable dairy free version - there are delicious ice creams, mayos etc, but the cheese alternative I tried was disgusting.

Guest user
Not applicable

Looking at the whole picture I can see the logic in giving up dairy or even becoming a veggie,not just because it may risk Breast Cancer.My sister in law has a dairy free diet she say's cows milk is for baby cows not humans.I wonder if I have the willpower,I love cheese.

Mel xx

finty

Ann it will be interesting to see what DEFRA say, but there is no doubt whatsoever that oestrogen in the form of oestrone sulphate is present in the milk of pregnant cows. Oestrogen in the milk or faeces is often used as a pregnancy test!

http://www.springerlink.com/content/ln867045gu526615/

finty x

(edited to get chemical name right)

Guest user
Not applicable

What is HST?

Don't worry, just found it in the article. Doh!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

It is the oestrogen I am concerned about. I have just sent an e-mail to defra to see if I can get a definitive answer. They were really helpful when I asked the same question over drinking water. I don't know how long they will take though, because it says they aim to answer within 15 days!

Ann

finty

Mel I don't know - I wish I did. I suppose it is similar to saying that if we have oestrogen in our own bodies then isn't it safe - whereas many of us are going through some pretty nasty treatment to try and get rid of all naturally occurring oestrogen. And the issue with IGF is that it naturally occurs at low levels in milk, but we are exposed to unnaturally high levels because of the practise of milking during pregnancy for most of the year.

There is no doubt that higher levels of IGF in humans are ASSOCIATED with higher risk of cancer - whether they are the cause, we can't be sure. I am merely providing these links to explain the reasoning behind the decision of many to follow a dairy free diet, just in case.

finty xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Iv'e taken a part of the article from Cancer help...... " BST is not the same shape as HST and cannot fit into hormone receptors in the human body in the same way as HST. So there is unlikely to be a direct health risk that way" and if IGF is not given to our cows and naturally we have 100 times the amount in our body than is in a pint of milk would it not be safe?.

Mel xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I don't know about the risk of Breast cancer but reading the article from the vegetarian society is enough to make me think about reconsidering some things.

Mel xx

finty

Thanks Ann, I had already read that article - it confirms what I said above that IGF is present at some level in all milk, and at raised levels in milk of pregnant cows.

Guest user
Not applicable

finty

Ann, sorry I forgot to add that your comment that it is illogical that oestrogen would be present in cows milk due to the effect on male offspring is entirely correct! The problem is that we are milking cows DURING PREGNANCY, which simply would not happen in nature - so this is an entirely man made problem. This is the case with organic milk too - I doubt there is any milk sold through the supermarkets that is not from cows milked year round, organic or not.

finty

And finally, this is the link showing oestrogen is present in the milk of pregnant cows:

http://tinyurl.com/oestrogeninmilk

Hope this has been helpful.

finty x

finty

Ann this link gives some more information on cows lactating during pregnancy. Most dairy cows have a calf by AI every year to ensure continual lactation, and are milked for 6-8 months of their 9 month pregnancy. Their calves are taken away after 48 hours so they can be continually milked for human consumption. So as you can see, for large parts of the milking cycle they are producing high levels of growth hormones. All those growth hormones designed to make a baby cow grow very fast are in the milk we drink (or used to in my case!).

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/cattle.html

finty

Ann

I have a bit of deja vu here! IGF is naturally present in ALL milk, including organic. It is not an additive, but something produced naturally by cows, as it is by humans. It is present in much higher levels in cows treated with rBGH, which thankfully is banned in the UK, so we are not exposed to those very dangerously high levels.

IGF levels rise in cows milked when they are pregnant. Most dairy production in the UK is very intensive, and the cows will be milked daily their entire lives before slaughter at quite an early age (intensive milking is exhausting and the cows don't survive long) - including during several pregnancies.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-cancer/cancer-questions/can-the-hormones-in-milk-affect-breast-ca...

Guest user
Not applicable

My understanding also is that a cow's milk comes from a cow which has given birth, not a pregnant one, at which point it starts to lactate. This is stimulated by the placenta, which is then explelled. After this the hormone levels drop. This explanation of human lactation explains it better:-

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breastfeeding/makingbreastmilk/

It does not make sense that milk would contain oestrogen, because of the effect on male offspring. It is not logical.

I can find no evidence that milk does contain oestrogen, especially organic milk. If it did, don't you think our oncologists would advise against it? However, I was told to avoid phyto-oestogens.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

My understanding is that IGF1 is not present in UK milk, but is in that of the USA, probably where the research was done.

Ann

finty

Regarding my point that it would be almost impossible to conduct a study in humans to directly link diary to breast cancer - the following is such a study linking a vegan diet to slower progression in early stage prostate cancer. It is very unusual to to have such a study:

http://en-gb.www.mozilla.com/en-GB/firefox/central/e cancer:

The reason such a study can be done here is that prostate cancer has discernible markers (PSA) so can be observed without treatment in its early stages. This study (the link is just an abstract, you have to read linked studies to get full details) took men with prostate cancer and changed their diet to a near vegan diet, plus exercise and counselling - and found a noticeable impact on the development of their cancer (the effect was 8x the control group). Prostate cancer like breast cancer is hormone related. It's interesting reading - and supports one of Prof Plant's main claims re dairy and prostate cancer.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

I still think we are making this too complicated. I am sure that breast cancer has many causes but with oestrogen sensitive cancers we KNOW that oestrogen makes these cancer cells grow quicker, that is why we take tamoxifen and/or arimidex etc to either reduce the effect of any oestrogen or to stop making it. It is very straightforward. These medicines have gone a huge way to improving our survival and cure rates. So why go to all that effort to then undo it by eating more of the stuff?

For me the jury is still out regarding soya. It seems to act rather like tamoxifen, taking up the oestrogen receptor sites but giving a milder oestrogenic effect. (Tamoxifen helps protect against osteoporosis - as oestrogen does.)

But we know oestrogen is to be avoided. Following chemo I am post menopausal. My ovaries were removed 2 years after chemo as they began to grow cysts. After 5 years of Tamoxifen, and post menopause the only bit producing significant amounts of oestrogen are the adrenals which is what Arimidex shuts down. So WHY put it back in the body again?

Having said all that oestrogen makes you feel better, hence hormone replacement therapy, and life is for living, and as I ticked few of the boxes for getting cancer in the first place I don't believe anything we do can bring us absolute certainty. Humans are too complicated to be able to control much. But... western medicine has definitely improved our lot by targeting oestrogen in the body so for me it is a no brainer to cut out dairy to try to help.

I have several friends with breast cancer none of whom have cut out dairy but they caught the cancer earlier. I think I would not feel the need to be as vigilant if I were in their shoes. Each of our cases is individual and complex.

Pascale

finty

Hi Linda. I know of no studies that prove a link. With regard to dairy - I know of no way of conducting an experiment that isolates one component of a diet and proving or disproving a link with cancer - it simply can't be done in human studies as the time scale is too long and there are far too many variables. So you will almost certainly never get the proof you seek. What we do have are laboratory (micro) and population (macro) studies. The macro studies are well known - it is undeniable that countries with no history of eating dairy products, and with high consumption of phytoestrogens (soya etc) have significantly lower incidences of breast cancer (and prostate and ovarian cancers), and specifically hormone responsive breast cancers and aggressive breast cancers.

Then we have the laboratory studies with cancer cell cultures or rodents implanted with bc tumours, where substances found in dairy (eg IGF1) stimulate tumour growth, and phytochemicals have been shown to slow tumour growth or even prevent tumours forming or kill existing. For instance it has been found that grape seed extract acts as a very effective aromatase inhibitor in rats with hormone responsive bc.

So the population studies almost perfectly reflect what the laboratory studies are finding. That is, that a diet low in animal products, specifically dairy, and high in phytochemicals from vegetables and grains and specifically phytoestrogens is associated with significantly lower levels of breast cancer, particularly hormone responsive cancers. Of course other factors may well be involved - almost certainly are.

So then what do we do with this information? Many choose to ignore or discount it, because the evidence is not conclusive, as you do. That's fine. But I am stage 4 so to me, it seems a no-brainer to alter my diet in the hope that the theory holds. And I don't think it is a forlorn hope - it make sense to me that a product whose purpose is to promote rapid cell growth in baby cows, could if consumed over very long periods (in my case virtually every day for 50 years) cause confusion and inappropriate cell growth in humans. And to copy the diet of countries with low cancer rates seems a very sensible step. There are many anecdotal stories of cancer sufferers having success with an anti cancer diet, but I am unaware of any whose cancer has suddenly progressed after a such change of diet - so there seems nothing to lose, and potentially plenty to gain. If Prof Plant and the other authors gains a quid or two in royalties from me in the process, then I consider it money very well spent - and I thank them for their contribution to the debate.

As for phytoestrogens - there is certainly disagreement. It does seem to me though that there are more studies suggesting a protective role when the food (usually soya) is eaten in normal dietary quantities. The adverse research seems to concern high dosage supplements, and the studies that have shown no protective effect allowed inclusion of tiny levels of consumption.

But I do want to be clear that I do not in any way believe that a change in diet will always make a significant difference, there are simply too many other factors in play with bc - but I think there's a good chance it will contribute to a better prognosis.

I'll post the links when I have time - hopefully tonight.

finty

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,for a few years before I was diagnosed I took Menopace a supplement for before,during and after the menopause which contains phytoestrogens.I have now seen a warning saying "Some women need to be cautious of taking these supplements - e.g. if they are currently suffering from Breast cancer or other hormone dependent tumours. Some breast surgeons and oncologists believe that even the tiny amounts of estrogen can have an adverse effect"....Interesting.

Mel xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Finty,
I would be realy interested to see any scientific studies you know of which prove the link between Dairy and BC ? Soya and photoestrogens remains controversial to many in the medical profession, including my oncoligist.
So if you could show me any proven studies showing which photoestrogens are known without doubt and have been proven to block oestrogen receptors on hormone + cancers i would appreiciate it.
Thanks
Linda

finty

Linda

Isn't the difference in your list that the plants contain phytoestrogens which are known to block the oestrogen receptors on hormone positive cancer cells and prevent oestrogen binding to them, whereas dairy and meat products contain actual oestrogen which is presumed to stimulate the cell growth?

josyemarie

Being triple neg and with a poor prognosis I'd nothing to lose 6+ years ago when all they could tell me was to eat everything in moderation and to go out and enjoy myself! Already a vegetarian I read the Jane Plant book and felt I'd nothing to lose by going dairy free. I really do feel fitter than in my pre bc days and haven't had a problem with middle aged spread either, must admit though I go out for a good long brisk walk every day weather permitting!
When I was signed off at the bc clinic before Christmas my onchologist told me that when I was diagnosed they'd no idea about bc and diet, but nowadays she would recommend I do exactly what I did!!
Josie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Pascale,
In answer to your curiousity re my continuing to drink Milk but my avoidence of Soya,
It is not possible for any of us to avoid ALL oestrogens ,as oestrogens are found in many foods /products in our enviroment. Soya is and has always been a very controversial subject because of its very high content of photoestrogens , Milk in comparison has a low oestrogen content compared , most recent reliable studies have shown no direct link between Dairy and Breast Cancer and therefore untill the evidence suggests otherwise i will continue to eat Dairy products.
When i was DX with BC i changed to organic Milk and wherever possible organic foods, my reason for doing so was because of the many additives and perservatives found in our food products today, i wanted to try to reduce my exposure to the many chemicals /known carciogenics that we live with in the world today. I would like to add however that i do not think by going organic that this will "prevent" a reocurrence of BC ( Cancer is a very complex desease and likely has many different factors at play ) but rather for me i felt like it was a far healthier option.
Ive put this list of foods on the forums before so apoligies if youve seen it , but it gives an idea of the very high oestrogen content in some of our foods, and oddly enough most of these foods are hailed as good for Cancer prevention.
Table 1. Foods high in phytoestrogen content.
Phytoestrogen food sources Phytoestrogen content (µg/100g)
Flax seed
Soy beans
Tofu
Soy yogurt
Sesame seed
Flax bread
Multigrain bread
Soy milk
Hummus
Garlic
Mung bean sprouts
Dried apricots
Alfalfa sprouts
Dried dates
Sunflower seed
Chestnuts
Olive oil
Almonds
Green bean
Peanuts
Onion
Blueberry
Corn
Coffee, regular
Watermelon
Milk, cow

At the end of the day we all individualy make our own decisions regarding how/if we want to change our diets/lifestyles (none of us here are experts)but i think a lot of the many unsubstansiated claims on the internet by the likes of Jane Plant (and a few others) which is at best still only antedotal evidence , preys on peoples vulnerabilities and only serves to line the pockets of those authors.
If it was as simple as going Dairy Free we would have a cure for cancer tomorrow !!
All the best to everyone whatever side of the debate your on.
Linda x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

I am curious about Linda's statement that she avoids soya products because of the phyto oestrogens and yet she does not avoid milk which contains oestrogens which is what all the treatment we receive is trying to eliminate??

Following my diagnosis 7 years ago I have avoided dairy completely and have only had occasional bits of soya.

Like a lot of people on this thread I had a basically healthy diet pre diagnosis. I don't think dairy gave me cancer but it just seems totally logical that if the hospital have removed my ovaries, put me for 5 years on tamoxifen that rushes round the body trying to take up the oestrogen receptor sites before any oestrogen can get there, then a further 5 years of Arimidex (3 years still to go) which stops my adrenals making any oestrogen ( the last bit of the body that makes any significant amount) because they obviously think it is vital that the oestrogen levels are as low as possible - why with all the effort, aggravation and side effects to get it out of my body would I then go and eat the stuff???

It's a pain, but one I have accepted as I can't get past the logic. I wouldn't recommend such a drastic diet unless someone already had an oestrogen sensitive cancer and, like me, had a late diagnosis with lymph nodes that were still active after all the chemo. (They did the surgery after the chemo.) So basically since I can't be sure there aren't a few rogue cells waiting for some oestrogen fertiliser I am happy to join in the hospital's efforts to get oestrogen out of my system.

Incidentally, I had a bone scan before I started the diet which showed I was osteopenic (stage before osteoporosis) but the bone consultant agreed to my dairy free diet with regular checks and I have not worsened in the last 7 years which is interesting. I guess I eat a fair amount of dark green veg and I like almond cake!

If I get to 15 years I have promised myself some milk treats but nothing with butter - I used to love it but if I accidentally eat some it now tastes horribly rancid - curious.

I haven't given up sugar - now that would be a step too far...

I try to remember to take Vit D which the bone consultant said was important in preventing cancer spreading to the bones.

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy eating girls, am off to enjoy a cheese sarnie with my fav anchor butter, might even have a yogurt too if i can manage it lol, Life is for Liveing!!
Take care
Linda

Guest user
Not applicable

Lindiloo

Thank you for all the links. I too agree with you on the drinking of milk issue and I will continue to eat dairy products.

Thanks again

Guest user
Not applicable

Linda

As I am taking an aromatase inhibitor, rather than Tamoxifen, my logic is that it is even more important that I do not consume oestrogen (or similar), because of the way the drug works.

I agree about the huge industry that has sprung up around cancer. There are definitely people out there getting very rich on it. I really enjoy a good piece of scientific evidence and, generally speaking, many of the results are freely available on the internet.

The other thing about the books is that they become out of date really quickly, as more research is done.

Thanks again for the links, by the way.

Ann

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ann , i too will continue drinking Milk, and also eat the many other dairy products that i enjoy, the studies above were just a brief sample , there are also quite a few more to be found on the subject.

I personaly avoid Soya as much as possible (being Er+) because of its very high concentrations of pyhtoestrogens as discussed with my oncoligist , adding more oestrogen minics to my diet than nessessary when i am trying to reduce the amount of oestrogen in my body just seems contradictory to me.

I often wonder just how much money the likes of Jane Plant and some others out there who protest to have beaten cancer by their unproven methods have made from their many various books ect from vulnerable people, with their tales of a cure. In fact i am surprised that none of these people has been given the nobel prize yet!!

Of course Everyone must make their own judgements , and do whats right for them, but being an open forum i think it is important for all of us here that all Proven credible available Data is available to us all so as we can make proper informed decisions .

All the best to everyone

Linda

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes, lindiloo, the links do work. Very interesting reading. Thank you. This just shows that you can find research to support or refute any theoretical link, as I mentioned before, somewhere. I'll carry on drinking milk, then.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

There is a (2007) studies showing that milk increases the incidence of chemically-induced breast tumors in rats. I also found a 2007 study showing that soy milk does the same thing. And another (2006) showing that fermented milk (yogurt) prevented tumors; and another (2001) showing that soy protein was preventive.

It appears that studies on things that cause or prevent tumors in rats injected with carcinogens might not provide a definitive answer to the question: Do dairy products cause breast cancer in humans?

The so-called "China Study" was a nutritional analysis conducted in rural China in the 1980s. This study purportedly found a link between the intake of animal protein and an increased risk of cancer and other disease. In the intervening 20 years, many researchers have tested this conclusion, specifically with regards to dairy and breast cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18065592
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17372236
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16373955
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16596295
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15213021

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11914299
Hope these links work.

belinda

thanks finty..I think I will purchase the book..cutting out the flour and sugar wouldn't be too awful for me neither would making vegetables the main part of a meal. Sounds an interesting read.
x
Edited my post to add after reading here, http://www.anticancerbook.com/rules.html I think I already adhere to most of the diet..so it's not going to be as big a change as I feared (hooray) and I will feel as though I'm doing something pro-active.

finty

It is pretty restrictive and recommends a complete change in priorities to making vegetables the main component of every meal, and eating only small amounts of protein. Cutting out sugar and white flour is a major part. Organic dairy is ok in small quantities if it is made from the milk of cows that are grass fed - not sure how you would know though! Would highly recommend the book - it's a very easy read, and has made me feel much more positive about slowing the progress of my cancer.

belinda

Hi finty, after reading your post I went to amazon and saw the anti-cancer pocket guide. I must admit I haven't read all of this thread (I will do this evening) but today I made a little resolution to eat well, (healthy eating) exercise more..etc. I've been living well with mets for 7 years and do eat good organic food but the last few months I feel I've drifted a little. So I'm trying to become a bit more pro-active. Is the anti-cancer diet extremely restrictive? Dairy? I love cheese. Perhaps I can adopt some of it and tweek bits? The synopsis I read states the author is more convinced of cancer being caused by lifestyle choices rather than hereditary factors. I admit I have a problem with this as my Mum died of ovarian cancer in 2008 and due to this and other cancers in my family although I'm not a BRCA carrier my family are classed as higher risk and will now have early mammograms and ovarian screening. xx