71.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone got any anti cancer diet advice?

finty

Re: anyone got any anti cancer diet advice?

I am also a big fan of the Dr David Servan-Screiber book. I wonder if those that dismiss diet have actually read this book - it footnotes over 500 research projects that support it's recommendations, and makes a very well argued case for the role of diet and lifestyle changes. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has read it and NOT found it persuasive.

Daisy_do

I have a leaflet from Dr David Servan-Schrieber and if anyone wants a copy can they pm me for details.

Dx

Guest user
Not applicable

good thinking truffle shuffle
sue

truffle_shuff

oh gosh.,

Well I have done 8 months of very healthy eating, then this weekend, the monster took over, I have eaten nothing but junk with the odd piece of friut, chocolae biscuits are a big hit for me , never touched them before bc.

I have decided that I will eat veg , fruit as usual but not getting into a real anti cancer diet until I have finshed my chemo, and had xmas dinner...........

take care xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all, i went into my local mcmillamcentre(trafford general)yesterday and promtly burst into tears! however, a very nice lady gave me a load of bumf leaflets and stuff and referred me for complimentary therapies(relaxation, reki, art therapy all sorts) one of the booklets i had was talking about the rainbow diet book, and while i have to admit i havent read it thoughally i can apparently live off organic leaves and not much else lol, im sure thats not so but has anyone got this book?any thoughts?
sue

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Josie,

I'm just back in from my 30 mins walk! Many congrats on coping with triple neg and all the stress. Dr Schreiber says in the book that it's not so much the stressful situations themselves that upset our balance, but the way we respond to them, and it's especially beneficial if we are able to take action to reduce or escape the stress. Maybe this applies to you and all the harrowing events you've coped with?

I especially love the way he talks about 'false hopelessness'. This book is quite new, came out in 2008, and I am so glad I found it. It reinforces everything I became determined to do upon diagnosis in 2006 to change my life and have, more or less, perservered with.

If you want to learn more without buying the book, there are quite a few videos of Dr Schreiber on YouTube.

Like you I feel so much fitter and happier than before bc.

Best wishes,
Buckwheat

josyemarie

Hi Buckwheat,thanks for the above which I've just read. It makes a lot of sense. A lifelong vegitarian when first diagnosed I read all I could about cancer and diet and decided to go dairy free and to include oily fish. I also started powerwalking everyday. This was 6yrs ago and I must say I didn't have much encouragement from my doctors back then, When I asked about diet I was told everything in moderation, and to go out there and enjoy my life.
Being triple negative etc my prognosis wasn't good - I was given a 35% chance of 5yr survival, but the changes I made in my lifestyle made me feel I was doing my bit. They were my crutch, my tamoxofen... call it what you like. I didn't feel out on a limb, and I really convinced myself that because I was dairyfree and because I was walking like the wind I was probably going to beat it.It kept me going - especially in the early dats when I needed a bit of hope.
I'm also a lot fitter than in pre bc days and still weight the same as I did in my twenties.
Josie x

Guest user
Not applicable

For those who choose to judge a book not by its cover but by its contents, hopefully the moderator will allow this link to Dr Servan-Schreiber's blog: http://www.anticancerbook.com/

josyemarie

My consultant even said that if stress had anything to do with bc returning I probably wouldn't be here now.My life has been a catalogue of disasters,the year after my diagnosis was probably the worst.I was even attacked by a lunatic while on taxol.He called me all the filthy names going and broke my ribs.Then brother-in- law took 120 paracetamol after coming out as gay,my little grandson was still born at full term,he was perfect - I was with my daughter and held him in my arms.I went to stay with my son for a break and Bruce the rotty (who was my best friend)died suddenly outside my brm door.The following wk had to rush my son to hospital after the doctor on call had diagnosed a heart attack.These were just the tip of the iceberg, it was something every week...was afraid to answer my phone!I was sent for councilling to be told I was coping well and under the circumstances she wouldn't be able to cope any better!
As for HRT - I've actually been told it's very probably the cause of my bc.I was put on it for an early menopause in my mid thirties and was still on it when I found the lump 10yrs later. I don't tick any of the boxes for breastcancer ( but then how many of us do?)I had all my children young,completely breastfed them all,I'm a lifelong veggie, slim and fit etc.
Funnily my tumour was triple neg.After my first biopsy they said it was 1cm and very slow growing probably hormonal. A month later after my op it was 2.4 cm and extremely aggressive triple negative.
Against all odds I'm still here and well and due for my 6 year checkup just before Christmas.x

Guest user
Not applicable

Leadie - I agree about the stress and HRT aspects. I had many years of very intense stress before diagnosis and I was also on HRT for many years. If I knew then, what I know now, I would definitely have stopped the HRT much sooner.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

I think you've got it right, Melly and Caz.

A good diet can only be a good thing. But a diet that could cure cancer would have made world news already.

I think it's also important to remember that we have, in some ways, a much better diet than our parents or grandparents.

Firstly, we have enought to eat.

Secondly, we have a vast range of ordinary fruit and veg (not to mention all the wheat-free, dairy-free, organic, free range products, etc etc) to choose from.

Thirdly, I doubt that many of us are seriously deficient in anything. No-one's got rickets, have they? Or scurvy? Even my OH, who eats an apple every alternate Shrove Tuesday shows no sign of it.

On the other hand - and this where our diet differs from earlier generations, there's a lot of stuff put in ready meals and processed food, including a lot of salt, that I'm not mad on. But it's easy (and cheaper) to buy the individual ingredients and make your own, anyway. Even if you have a chronic sweet tooth, home made cakes would be better for you than factory produced biccies.

Agree with you Leadie, about what our sheep/cattle are fed...tho' you'd hope a few lessons have been learnt with 'mad cow' disease and scrapie there.

And I think a link between injury and tumours is worthy of investigation.

X to all

S

Guest user
Not applicable

I agree that changing your diet and lifestyle will deffo not cure or stop BREAST cancer comming back,BUT I am thinking that along with conventional treatment it can only be a benefit,I have not myself put it into practice yet but am trying to eat more healthy.My energy lavels are quite low and I am a bit overweight,so surley it can only help.

best wishes Mel xx

CazMc

I'm sorry but all these so called 'cure your cancer by eating such a diet' books/ideas are rubbish and only making money for the authors on the back of vulnerable people - like us ladies on this thread? 4 years down the road and I still see threads like this and it makes me mad that so called 'authors' are selling books like this with no real facts and people like us are desparate to believe it.

Sit back and think...If ANY of these ideas were true then we'd have not only a cure but a prevention in the first place? AND the author of whatever book would be the scientist that 'found a cure' and the most famous person on earth.

With the best will in the world...we can all go on about diet and frankly eat/drink a generally 'healthy' diet and that's no bad thing. It's highly likely that when we eventually find a cure it will be from a 'natural' source, but let's not get hung up on what we eat etc being the reason we got this in the first place or, even worse, now eat/drink this to stop it coming back.

Surely, if it was that simple then we would have a prevention/cure by now?

I use the word 'cure' on purpose...because if any of these ideas had a grain of reality that would be the result, surely?

To finish, I'm sorry if I've upset anyone - I do believe that (for me) hypnotherapy got me through chemo from my needle phobia and reflexology has helped me physically and mentally all through - but lets be real about 'anti cancer diet' books/ideas when we are so vulnerable to anything that will stop it coming back.

Love Caz xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear Ladies, Love this thread, and diet is always an emotive issue!I am convinced that my cancer was caused by nearly 2 years of a highly stressful situation with my daughters epilepsy.
At the time, I didn't look after myself,I ate the wrong things and drank a lot of alcohol. When my daughter stopped fitting and I started to get on with my life, 3 months later, I found I had breast cancer.
I have talked to a lot of ladies here about the events running up to their cancer diagnosis and many of them, were in very difficult highly stressful situations.
Cancer is a multifactorial disease and I think a whole combination of events contribute to getting cancer.
I tend to agree with some of the ladies here that there is very much a blame culture around cancer, and not so with other diseases. Wonder why that is?
I think also that the pill may be have a lot to do with the dramatic rise in cases of breast cancer. Messing about with our hormones, must be a bad thing, and there is a lot of research about how oestrogen dominance and low progesterone levels can contribute to breast cancer. Look at how HRT was thought of as a wonder drug, now they are suggesting it may be a contribute to breast cancer. It was the first thing the medics asked me when I was DX, was I on HRT?
I think the environment has a lot to do with cancer, the ammount of hormones that are pumped into animals that is then passed down the food chain must have a detrimental effect on our bodies and some of the very powerful chemicals that we come in contact with.
I come from a holistic background and firmly believe that our physical, emotional and spiritual well being contribute to our good health and healthy immune system.
When something gets out of balance, then we are susceptible to disease. My breast cancer was on the same side that I had an injury to and mastitis on that breast when I was breast feeding. Don't feel that this is coincidental.
The facts are too, that so little is known about the complexities of our bodies. This is reflected in how many people are still dying of this awful disease.
We all make our own decisions on the paths we take and we have to feel it is right for us, we have to live with our decisions.
Best wishes to all your brave people
Leadie

rachy7

I have done that already, Katie !!!! I am not the most disciplined soul and since bc etc i am worse ! I think the psychological part of bc has broken any discipline I had for myself also my dad's sudden death has alot to do with it too.

R xx

Guest user
Not applicable

In my next life I will be wicked and break all the rules! lol

Guest user
Not applicable

KatieF

Your sister is a shining example of what a lottery robust health continues to be, despite our (here I mean mankind's) best efforts to unlock the key to it. Here's another....

My OH is 68, has smoked more or less continously since he was 14, drinks rather more than the RDA, takes no exercise whatsoever, would happily eat any old rubbish. He's never ill, has all his own teeth, hasn't lost any hair, his BP is far lower than mine (and I'm on a ton of medication for it). All he's got, after a lifetime of bad habits, is very slightly raised cholesterol.

I've told him he needs to donate his body to medical research. If they can find out what has enabled him to withstand such an onslaught for the best part of 50 years, they'll have made a real breakthrough.

I'm 53 and try to be 'good' and do 'good' things without being obsessive about any of it. I've had cancer twice...

X to all

S

Guest user
Not applicable

I think it is the luck of the draw. Just as some people smoke 40-a-day and live to a ripe old age.

We have risk factors for all sorts of things, but it is the combination which gives the result - like when someone has an accident of some description, it is a number of events which happen together, such as time, place, etc. On a different day, the accident doesn't happen, but then you don't know how close you were on that occasion!

Having said that, I do remember hearing about a religious man in the East who was able to grow and shrink a tumour by the power of thought. We don't know enough about the brain to be able to say with certainty that it can, or can't, do something.

I have been lent a cd of an audio book called "The China Study", which I have only just started listening to, but so far the gist seems to be that any disease can be prevented or cured by a good diet, which seems to be plant based as far as I can make out. I am not convinced but am open minded enough to carry on listening. If I discover anything of use, I shall update you. Maybe some of you have already read the book. It's American.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry - but whilst I'm at it - my sister has an awful diet, eats all sorts of c**p and fast foods, definately not organic as she could never afford it. Drinks like a fish and when she was really broke drank white lighting cider (have I got that right, strong cheap stuff?). Had a very stressful life with an aggressive (now thankfully an x) husband, has shot nerves and smokes masses every day. She wouldn't know exercise and uses the car to go 1/2 a mile down the road instead of walking! She hasn't got cancer....

Guest user
Not applicable

Just to say I went to the BCC healthy diet thingy yesterday in Bournemouth and it was excellent, basically everything bad in moderation, lots of veg and carbs and a bit less protein. Also exrcise! No proof organic makes any difference neither vegan/vegitarian diets.

However I have to say (and back what Rachy says) I've always eaten carefully and organic, have the right BMI for my height and have never been over weight. I'm a happy positive sole and always have been, I have 2 children and breast fed them each for 7 months. I've always also exercised and didn't drink for years and I still got cancer.... I have had soya, as I'm lactose intolerant, and worried that that may have caused my cancer but as it was pointed out to me those in the east all eat soya and lots of it and they have a low incedence of BC! The french study says 3 to 4 servings a week are fine, the candians say soy is beneficial and the Americans can't make their minds up (depends on whos paying for the research in my opinion!)!

Soo - I'm going to stick with the dietry advise from BCC - split my plate in to the recommended protein/veg/carb intake. Have the occasional drink and chocolate (good quality stuff) and live every day positively.

Guest user
Not applicable

Nothing seems to arouse strong feelings like this forum!

Like Elinda, I'm all for healthy eating; there's no doubt junk food is bad for everyone. But there's plenty of people around who eat c**p all their lives and don't get cancer.

Between my first primary and my second I did a load of 'good' things - stopped smoking, drastically reduced my alcohol intake, increased my exercise, improved my diet, reduced my commitments. I was 'rewarded' for all this endeavour with a Grade 3 tumour (the first was a grade 1). I don't think any of it was wasted and I'm still glad I did it, but I'm relieved that I never saw it as any kind of 'talisman' for continued good health, as I would have been most seriously disappointed.

And there's plenty who eat an exemplary diet and become seriously ill with this disease.

The way I look at is that I feel better when I eat well and that it helps to keep me in better shape to deal with everything this disease keeps throwing at me. But a blameless diet won't overcome genetics or environmental factors (pollution, for example). Or just plain bad luck.

A positive mindset? Mmmmm. I tend to think that being positive, or perhaps I should say appearing to be positive, is of most benefit to other people. Makes them feel less uncomfortable around us and enables their own fears to recede a bit, probably.

People tell me I'm positive, but I'm not. But I've always just tried not to worry too much about the future and do my best to get the most of the here-and-now. And I've been told I've got liver secondaries (and that's after even more efforts with diet, alcohol and exercise!). I'm realistic about what the future holds for me, but I don't inflict too much of that knowledge on anyone else - that's why they say I'm 'positive'.

Rachy, ace point about the way positive thinking is reserved only for cancer patients. No-one has suggested it to my Type 1 diabetic brother, who will probably lose at least 10 years of his lifespan and has a good chance of going blind and having limbs amputated before that. It's what JaneRA calls, I think, the 'mystification' of cancer.

On the other hand (I do love playing devil's advocate), Buckwheat and Gardenbeetle if what you do makes you (and only you, not your rellies, colleagues, friends) feel better and more able to cope with the beamer that is breast cancer, then that can only be a good thing for you personally.

I really do think that diet is only one part of a complicated puzzle, tho'.

X to all

S

elinda45

The way I look at it is that by doing the best we can with diet and cutting out as many toxins as we feasibly can then we are helping our bodies.

there is research that does show some foods are shown to increase risk to different cancers look at the World Cancer Research Fund site which goes into this in detail. For breast cancer the only proven link to date is with alcohol consumption. However that doesn't mean that there aren't others.

We know that to help prevent a range of illnesses that eating fruit and veg, keeping saturated fat low, salt and sugar low etc are important. Okay bad diet may not cause cancer but it won't help our bodies.

It isn't about blaming cancer patients - it's about us trying to do the best we can for our bodies now we have cancer. Also perhaps helping our loved ones who don't have cancer improve their diets.

Elinda x

Guest user
Not applicable

the thing is a good diet can do no harm and gives hope so it is best to go by what makes you feel better and i think it really helps.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rachy,

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I will carry on thinking that my changed diet and lifestyle are helping me to resist the return of cancer. Like other posters before me, I recommended a book in the appropriate 'complementary' forum - and did nothing more. I appreciate your strong opinion, but we may have to agree to disagree.

As for 'blame' - I've been told by more than one oncologist that over 90 percent of breast cancers are not hereditary/genetic. So logic tells me it must be caused by something in the environment instead, and so I think it's reasonable to look for 'blame' there, in the form of toxins, including modern processed food. Contrary to what you say, there are indeed quite a few studies that show huge differences in cancer rates internationally, with 'Western' countries having the highest rates by far. So it seems to me to be justified to explore the possibility that I am what i eat.

I also believe firmly, from my own experience, that stress and emotions, positive or negative, are biological, and have an influence on my body's overall health. Last time I checked, my mind was still a function of my body, and so I don't discard its power.

Like you I am trying to be realistic - for me, that means acknowledging how bad my diet and stress levels were before diagnosis, and doing something about them.

I wish you all the best in whatever ways you choose to deal with bc, and I'm very sorry for the friends you have lost. So have I.

Best wishes
Buckwheat

rachy7

Please, please, please don't think that a good diet and a 'positive ' attitude will keep cancer away. There is none or little evidence to support this and those with secondaries will probably agree with this.There is always a 'blame ' culture with cancer. You don't get anything about positive thinking if you have heart disease, diabetes etc. i am not knocking anyone for their beliefs but trying to be realistic for those who followed all the above and STILL got cancer.I have lost friends to this cruel disease and they didn't die because of 'lack' of positivity or bad diet.

R xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello, I just want to say I totally agree with Garden Beetle and Redders that the 'Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life' book by David Servan-Schreiber is fantastic - the best cancer/diet book I have read by far. I love that he is a doctor himself, who writes beautifully and explains biochemistry in really simple terms.

I also love that he does not take an 'either/or' view of conventional and unconventional approaches, which most oncologists and holistic doctors do. He says that trying to get rid of cancer by diet alone is not smart, and that surgery, chemo and radiation should not be rejected. But during treatment, after it ends, and for our children and loved ones who don't have cancer, this could be the most persuasive book around to convince people to take better care of themselves through nutrition.

He explains the biochemistry behind organic farming, and why sugar is so dangerous. And he includes guidelines for choosing anti-cancer foods. He also highlights the important role of positive emotions in preventing cancer from recurring. To read that a conventionally-trained doctor now believes in the power of the mind to help with healing is so refreshing.

This book is now my daily bible for healthy eating - I highly recommend it.

Guest user
Not applicable

Just read another excellent book: 'Foods to fight cancer' by Prof Richard Beliveau and Dr Denis Gingras. Like David Servan-Schreiber's book, the science behind the foods really well explained - and in this one also clearly illustrated. Lots of mouth-watering foody pictures to inspire you too!

I've just signed up with one of those organic veg box delivery companies, gonna make some cancer fighting smoothies!

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foods-Fight-Cancer-Richard-B%C3%A9liveau/dp/1405319151

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear All, one of my favourite books at the moment is the rainbow diet and how to help you beat cancer by Chris Woollams. It is packed with ideas and theories and an excellent read.
Best wishes
Leadie

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes Dawn, I see what you mean. I agree it is very confusing. For example, a lady I know with spread to her bones and lymph nodes, does not consider her cancer to be advanced, whereas I would think it was.

Jenny

Guest user
Not applicable

A friend recommended this author: Hulda Clark
http://www.amazon.co.uk/hulda-clark-Books/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Ahulda%20clark&page=1
I have not ready any of her books.
As for diet, I have always read you should avoid too much sugar or salt, as well as processed foods and eat plenty of fruit and veg. Although I have always done this and still got C I believe it is sound advice.
Everything is polluted and riddled with hormones and chemicals these days so it is nearly impossible to avoid them. I find organic vegetables and fruit too expensive and not always good. As for organic milk, I used to buy it when my son was young and stopped doing it because I found mould (which is supposed to cause cancer) at the bottom of a milk carton which was well within its BBD and had been kept in the fridge. I got apologies from the supermarket but never an explanation so I switched to ordinary milk. I do not know how many people can afford to buy everything organic anyway.
As for dogs, if you consider what pet food is made of, I would be surprised if they did NOT get cancer!

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all

someone bought me a book called beating cancer with nutrition which is very good explains a lot.

I just eat everything organic now.

dawnhc

I am not a fan of Jane Plant so this post is not in defence of.... LOL. But Jenny, my cancer recurred, new primaries, recurrences etc. etc. 4x and was called and noted by the pros at the Marsden as Advanced Cancer. They were all aggressive & Grade 3 etc and needing aggressive treatments. The whole 'labelling' of cancer is very confusing isn't it. I suspect JaneRA might go along with this too. There seems to be some distinction between Advanced and Secondary(metastatic).

Dawn
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

One comment I would like to make in response to one of the Jane Plant posts on this thread is, that she did not have advanced cancer. She had the disease recur four times which she describes as 'advanced'. My understanding is that 'advanced' in cancer speak means 'secondary' or 'distant' spread, but not 'recurrent' cancer.

Jenny

SuperSue

Hi Everyone,

My diet and lifestyle advice is to eat your fruit and veg. Take exercise. Make sure that you have some fun. Drink the occasional glass of champagne. If you acquire a super-rich family, partner, spouse or bank balance then make sure that you are given a Ferrari.

Best wishes,

Sue

Guest user
Not applicable

The David Servan-Schreiber book is excellent. I down loaded a chunk of it from the net and thought he had very good advice - most of which I'm now following - with a few lapses!

Lily200

Hi,
my Goddaughter is a vet and she often talks to me about BC. She told me that ordinary dairy cows are pumped with hormones but cows giving organic milk have none. So I switched to organic milk, may not do anything but it was an easy switch. No difference except the price. She also pointed out that dogs suffer terribly with mammary tumours and they don't eat the same things we do. Just think what their diet consists of!
I started reading Jane Plant hopefully and found it depressing and realised that i was not prepared to do all the 'sometimes weird' things she suggested. Then I read that it had only kept a small number of people from a recurrence and others had got it back. Someone on here wrote that Plant herself got it back but I haven't read that myself so not sure. So then gave up reading it as it sounds the same as normal stats. If it gives you hope and you can eat these foods then go for it. If not, I wouldn't even open the front page or you might feel compelled to start sticking organic linseed in places where the sun doesn't shine (only joking)
Lily x

annalou24

I am doing my head in with all this diet stuff!! I have been a vegetarian for 18 years and always eaten loads of fruit and veg, but probably quite a lot of dairy too, as well as soya products, which I now read can be linked to ER+ BC (which I have).

I also read somewhere to use flaxseed or linseed to get my omega 3
( as I don't eat fish, oily or otherwise )But now I see on the bag that it contains "phytoestrogens".???? Are these like oestrogen, only from plants??? As an ER+, should I avoid this ???

What a minefield !!!!

Any helpful replies appreciated ...
Anna x

Guest user
Not applicable

This book is brilliant, I just posted it on another thread then saw this one. It's not just diet but lifestyle in general.

It's called 'anticancer - a new way of life' by Dr David Servan-Schreiber, a physician & neuroscientist who has suffered from cancer himself:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anticancer-New-Life-David-Servan-Schreiber/dp/0718154290

We are always told to eat more veg, have less stress, more excercise etc, but this book explains how cancer develops and how the little things we eat and do actually act on cancer cells.

I think being able to understand the processes is a better motivator than just being 'told what to do' by an expert. I found it fascinating, very easy to read and it was such a relief to realise I had some control over my condition.

elinda45

Another alternative to ordinary milk is nut milk. I have given up dairy products but can't stand soya milk etc so I'm using organic almond milk which you can get in tetrapaks. Don't know how widely available it is though, I've found in health food stores and waitrose. It is sweetened a bit with agave syrup but I only use it on cereal so that's okay.
Elinda x

Louise_BCC

Hi all

You might be interested in our factsheet on the subject of diet and breast cancer, here's the link....

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/bcc_diet_09.pdf

I hope you find this a useful read.

Kind regards

Louise
Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi - I have just finished reading the book 'Lifestyle after Cancer' (sitting on a wet beach in Devon!!) and was really impressed. I have a scientific background and was looking for something with real evidence evaluated. It was so motivating i joined a gym (for the first time EVER!!) and bought gojo berries from the healthfood shop! Just got to GO to the gym now and EAT the berries!!

The book can be purchased using the web site address on the previous comment. Money well spent!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

The Onc who is treating me has written a book about lifestyle changes and he seems very proactive and is conducting a lot of research. It's £10 and can be bought through his web site http://www.cancernet.co.uk/
Most of the diet info is availble on the website free of charge, there is some interesting stuff!

Jayney
xx

alexamay09

like many of you I am trying to take a proactive approach but find there is a lot of confusing advice. I have the Plant book and another by Susanne Olivier. The Olivier book (Preventing and overcoming breast cancer) is less extreme and packed full of information about a healthy diet, cancer fighting foods etc. Its good because she advocates making maneageable changes rather than taking an all or nothing approach, which pretty much sets you up to fail.
At the end of the day, a diet based largely on good old fruit and veggies can't be bad, but it has to be something that we can live with. I eat a largely healthy diet with very little junk but have a great weakness for wine, beer (etc. etc. lol) and its linked with bc as well. If you give up everything nice in life you might live longer -or it might just feel like it lol!

One thing I do object to is those expensive books and supplements on the net that claim to cure cancer so long as you part with large amounts of cash. If all it took to cure cancer was a diet or crazy supplement I'm sure the medics would know by now. Authors of these programmes claim that the big pharmaceutical companies block the research as it would wreck their profits but if daft supplements could cure cancer then I'm sure the pharmas would be making more potent versions of these.
alex
x

Guest user
Not applicable

A friend of mine swears by this book: "The China Study" by C. Campbell. It might be better known in North America. Is anyone familiar with it? The author is an academic, a professor of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell.

Again, as far as I understand, its advocates no dairy and basically no animal products period.

I realise that even though I eat what I consider to be a healthy diet and am not over weight, I derive a LOT of pleasure from eating and don’t really want to lose that from my life.

I LOVE cheese: really strong cheddar, parmesan, goats cheese, wensleydale with cranberries, camembert, stilton, gorgonzola and mascarpone! the list is endless. I also like yogurts, ice cream and milk in my cappuccino.

There area lot of people out there who eat absolute rubbish and they don’t get cancer.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Bikinggirl, I also tried rice milk n like you say took some getting used to! Have now discovered oat milk which I really like, even ok to drink on it's own, don't know wether you've tried it but for me it's much nicer than the rice!
Smiler
x

Guest user
Not applicable

I found my Nutritional Therapist from a recommendation and they are not the same as a nutrionalist.

Maybe try the yellow pages or google.

As for Soya.........

There has been so much controversy that my N/therapist dosn't recommend it.
The theroy of J Plants book is that the oestrogen is processed in a different way.

Organic rice milk with added calcium.....
Takes a bit of getting used to though!!!

Could try apple juice on musli!!!

carolihne

Re the milk issue. can i just say that as an organic farmer's wife we don't give our cows any extra suppliments (execpt salt licks and natural minerals) however i think i'm right in saying that all milking cows produce a certain amount of hormones naturally and these may filter through into their milk. Sorry this dosn't really help
cheers
caroline

Jacksy

I just wanted to remind people that if they're giving up dairy, be careful about substituting it with lots of soya, if your cancer is hormone receptive. I gave up dairy a few years ago for other reasons, switched to soya milk and yoghurts etc, and a couple of years later diagnosed with (ER +ve)BC. Is there a link, I wonder?
(Soya creates something in your body which is similar to oestrogen)
I've gone back to dairy now, despite reading Jane Plant's book. It was just too hard, and my other problems I had with it had stopped. I just love cheese. And cream. And cereal last thing at night.
Jacquie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,
Tess just wondering whether you got your nutritional therapist through the hospital? Sounds just what I need cos like you I've read lots and possibly too many conflicting things!I was really good with juicing during chemo but seem to have got out of routine with it recently,just been more busy with being back at work but must get back to it!
Love Smiler
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,

I see a Nutritional Therapist regarding my diet.

I have read lots of books and looked at things on the net and found it too much and over whelming.All I ever managed to do was take things out of my diet that I loved and that seemed to set me up to fail.

The lady that I see advises me on the best foods to have and why.
We also look at what I could be lacking and add suppliments in to support the system.

As far the cancer goes I am not sure what difference it makes BUT what I will say is I feel really well, have lots of energy and my bloods are always good.
I have had secondaries now for nearly 4 years and I'm still going strong.

Whatever you do to help yourself I honestly beleive will make a difference to your overall health.

Sometimes just doing the 5 a day can be tough.

juicing is very good for you but more vegetable than fruit.

Best wishes Tess