anyone out there just had mastectomy?

I have never been on a forum before but here goes-
I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago and had mastectomy 1 week ago. I have to go for results next thursday 7th August. Does anyone else feel as if everything is surreal. Whilst i am getting better everyday I am all too aware the consultant can knock me back off my feet again. Also have weird pins and needles and numbness in armpit where they took lymph nodes is this normal.Is there anyone out there in same stage as me?

Hi Jocie,

my mom had a mastectomy March this year she was told before that it was in her lymph nodes also and that she would need a body scan and ct scan after the surgery as you full know it is such a hard time as it was a bank holiday mom had to wait 17 days for her results it seemed like forever anyway she got her results and found out it was in 15 of her lymphs then she had body scan etc thankfully the cancer hadn’t spread and she was advised to have 6 sessions of chemo as a precaution she is currently on number 5 then radiation for 3 weeks after, for the first 4 weeks all of her armpit was totally numb and she has really bad pins and needles and pain she was told this was completely normal and I’m pleased to tell you its fine now she still gets numbness but no pain so things will get better for you and mom swears by the exercises they give you to do - let me know how your results go thinking of you lol lisa xx

Hi Jocie,

I had my mastectomy 7 weeks ago now. I found it took a few weeks before my arm eased up a bit. the physio was pushing me to move more but I rsisted alittle bit. I did all the exercises but was disapointed it took a while, then all of a sudden afet 3 weeks or so, it just eased. My armpit is still numb and I have to look when I put deoderant on or I miss completely.

I am getting a few little pains now, but not much and the ex-boob itself has settle down enough for me to wear a falsey and normal bra. So best of luck with it all, keep exersising but don’t overdo it love.

Gillian

Thanks so much for your replies it is so good to know you are out there. Waiting for results on thurs getting twitchy but know that will not help the outcome but difficult to control sometimes. still only 2 more sleeps as I used to tell my kids!Have been doing excercises twice a day religiously.

jocie

Jocie,

How did you get on with your results?
I had my mx 1st week of Aug so I’m a few weeks behindyou and I know I have to have chemo which should start in the next couple of weeks.
I agree it’s totally bizarre to be in this position, still numb under the arm, and it remains to be seen whether any feeling will return.
Big hug
Dawn

I had mast just under a fortnight ago and other than having to have my wound drained, I have been fine.

I have full movement in my arm which I am thrilled about as I was practicing doing everything with one arm before going into hospital (doh)! It does feel tingly down the inside of my arm and my pit feels like a lump of numb meat!!! Feelings do seem to be coming back slowly though. Haven’t started back with the deodorant yet.

My scar is healing nicely (I was stapled) - I need to start putting some creams and stuff on I think - wondered about bio oil?

I started putting my bra back on 3 days after op and using the soft cushiony thing the BCN gave me. I was able to use my normal style of bra (wired, t-shirt style) but I am using old ones that have been stretched out a bit.

Just awaiting my results but trying not to think about it too much

Hi Jocie and everyone else,

I had a mastectomy and axillary clearance five weeks ago (6 August). Got the results but found that the breast care nurse didn’t give me all the information I needed. I’m still waiting and chasing an oncology appointment so I can get all my questions answered and get on with treatment. Hope your results came back OK.

If anyone wants to chat, I’m on Facebook - just send me a PM with your e-mail and I’ll add you - always happy to chat with ladies in the same place as me.

Hi everyone
am new to this thread but have met some of you in other forums. Just wanted to reply to Pheebster about bio oil. I had disolvable stitches inside and have used bio oil for about a week and my scar is healing really well, hardly noticeable really. Have been told that baby oil would have done just as well but find bio oil not as sticky,. Hope that helps.
cazzb

Thanks Cazzb - bio oil it is then. Been told not to put anything on wound for a little while yet as staples only came out Friday - but thanks anyway x