cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

Sam sorry to hear that. We had to cancel our holiday this summer too, so I'm planning something big for next year as a consolation to keep me going - thinking Vegas/new york/Hawaii depending on the state of the finances. I know you've got your friends wedding so you must be really gutted but I think we are all having to write off the next few months and pick up life with a vengeance when we're better.
i had my pre chemo assessment today. The unit is grim but staff lovely and put me at ease, I still don't want my husband seeing me in there though, I'm going to ask him to wait in the car!
I'm starting a week tomorrow with 4xFEC followed by 4 Tax. They don't offer a PICC line, I'm having canula in the hand each time. Nurse said veins should hold up.
my Annabandana stuff came today too. The jersey hat things give you a bit of shape and texture with a scarf. I tried a bandana on and although it was comfy it looked a bit masculine cancer victim, rather than feminine cancer victim, so may leave that one in the drawer.

Bless you Sam, what a horrible day for you, so sad you wont get to go away. Did you have a full mx or wle? I hope they sort it soon for you, so you can move on to the next stage.
Keep you chin up hunni
xxx

WEll ladies what a day, when all I wanted wasa phone call to say yes oncology has booked your appointment around your friends wedding in POrtugal. That is looking so so doubtful now after my high of yes you can fly phone call yesterday.
Still had redness this morning and hard boob so took a trip up the hospital for 11.30 to get it checked out. Consultant took one look at me (or boob should I say) and started talking haematoma. Next thing I am being booked in for a scan at 2.30 this afternoon. Consultant said he was hoping it was fluid but wasn't sure, might need aspiration or another op. If its an aspiration they will do it this afternoon. If not I am booked in for a week on Wed for another op which will include a drain this time!
Outside room nurse and him had a chat and she said Sam wants to go to Portugal and he said it may not be possible if I have to open her up again.
Back at 2.30, ultrasound doctor scans me and said there was lots of fluid... aspiration then. 125ml later and a painful but less swollen boob I am out. With the words "I couldn't get it all out," ringing in my ears. Went in a room with BCN and basically she gave the vibes Portugal may well be off the cards due to several factors: consultant still might need to open me up again; infection and seroma or haematoma!! Thats when she had to search for tissues. Fiirst time I have broken down in the hospital. It wasn't that I might not go to Portugal but it seems one thing after another. Mine certainly hasn't been straight forward.
Was going to have an online shopping spree this afternoon to get all the essentials ready but now I can't be bothered. Not give "C" anymore of my time today.

Hope you ladies have had a better day xx

PS sorry about the rant x

Hi Ivorymummy and all the Maisies. I think they tend to move treatment days around at Christmas because obviously there's no chemo on Christmas Day or Boxing Day, but if the hospital is open then treatment will happen. A friend of mine had her last chemo on Christmas Eve. Probably not what you want to hear but I hope it helps
I was very nearly a Maisie (sneaking in as a Junkie tomorrow) so we'll all be on this journey together.
Love to all xx

Welcome Ivorymummy to Amazing Augusts! sorry you are here with us all but we will all go through this together. Am afraid I dont know if we get any respite at christmas am sure we will find out soon enough xx

HIya Ivorymummy welcome to the mad house

Not sure bout xmas you may well have finished by then if you are having 6 cycles. Some ladies have 6 soem have 8.

Im an 8er started yesterday and is every 3 weeks so worked out my last would be 23rd Dec. That is of course if all goes according to schedule sometimes they may have to delay a week if blood counts are too low.

Jacqui our founder is having her first on Fri too so you will be in good company
Guest user
Not applicable

Oooh oooh! Just thought, and it's probably a daft question, but does anyone know if they continue with the chemo through the Christmas period? Just wondering if we get a respite to allow us to enjoy the festivities or if they just keep going come what may?!
Guest user
Not applicable

Can I join please? Am seeing onc nurse tomorrow, and when I spoke to her on the phone last week, she said I might start Friday (eek!) Not got anything done/prepared yet, although I did get a short notice hair appt and had it all cut off. I've gone from Kate Middleton (I wish!) to Judi Dench (that's more like it!) in the space of an hour.
Just read some of your posts ladies - interestingly, I'm also triple neg, but I'm only having Fec...go figure!
Wish I wasn't here, but since I am, looking forward to going through this with you all!

wow dont know what happened to that font

ha lols oh sounds like mine . Mine came today too got some more of the fitted chemo ones with the scrunchies and OH actally suggested I wear it Tesco now to get used to it. Bless him i know he is trying to help but felt like saying let me enjoy my hair whilst its still bloody here Ill have 9 p**ing moths of having no choice but to wear them

Hi girls, back from draining of seroma feels ok now, arm still tight but actual soreness gone, he thinks it will come back though, bummer!!!!
Hi chez yeah he had his cabbage, haha!!! How are you feeling?
Bandanas look pretty I'd probably wears similar abroad if protecting hair, but in this country it makes it obvious that your having ca treatment, but as my OH says "so what, let people think what they like, we've done nothing wrong", I agree but dunno how I'm going to deal with it yet.
Annie you had aspiration yet today? I got there early and he took pity on me!!!!
Lynne k I know what you mean , emotions up and down all the time, but at least we can all support each other x
Chezz I can't imagine Zumba yet either, surgeon said today dont lift high and don't do anything repetitive ( does that mean ironing, drying dishes? Haha) or seroma more likely to return. This damn bc stops you having normal life so much!!
Off to have some lunch now,, see you all ltr xx

what op did you have done Annie? Is seroma under your arm or boob?
I was lucky in respect I didnt get any seromas but its still tight as hell under the arm and across my now non existant breast. Havent even tried driving yet.

The nurse said within 6 weeks of op I can run and zumba again but I cant even imagine trying to do zumba at the minute. Mine aches more when I put the so callled comfie in as it feels heavy against my chest wall. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a chicken fillet in the hope will be more comfy.

Had another look at Annabandana and have decided I'm going to go for a couple of turbans to start with. I agree about the bandanas looking so 'obvious' and the jersey turbans look exactly like the Nicola Jane ones but less than half the price!

Actually, have now found some even better ones on Amazon! Hope my bank accounts going to hold out...

Spot-on chezza! The nurse sucks the fluid out with a syringe thing (three syringe-fulls last time in my case).
Then when you go home feeling so much better, it starts filling up again.....sigh

Hi LynnK yes agree the pendulum swings between despair and determination and back again sometimes within 5 mins its a total head you know what

Lols yes annabandana great they are very comfy. Expecting my next shipment anyday now.
Know what you mean even they look quite nice on that is then the visible sign to the outside world of whats going on in our bodies. Thats why I got so upset with the chemo yesterday. Dont know how I will cope when it starts to fall out I was a mess even getting it cut. HOws the pain today did OH enjoy his cabbage and bacon???

Annie whats an aspiration?? I assume its something to do with vacuuming/ hoovering is it when they suck all fluid out of seroma??? ( My language teacher skills coming out the word sounds like hoover in Spanish so I just guessed)

Well girls, postman just been with annabandana stuff, omg what a site, the hat things keep sliding off I've too much hair might be better when it's gone. Can recommend bandanas though I got ditsy prints they are cotton , elasticacted backs so no struggling with tying them, they look ok , still got a bit upset though xx I'm going to have to get a grip xx

Hi everyone....sorry.... I.m starting to feel like a terrible lurker ... ! I have post op appt Friday afternoon & seeing my surgeon & oncologist Monday afternoon so expect to start chemo within the next two weeks. Had a 19mm lump & infected nodes .... Not sure how many yet .... so 6 months chemo followed by radiotherapy & then 5 years tamoxifen planned. It's a different language, isn't it? Somedays I feel like a warrior ..... And other days I feel like a muddy puddle! Just reading your posts has been so helpful ...

Thanks Annie good luck with your aspiration I can't wait for mine xxx
chezz hope your feeling better and better xx

Not me until the 8th, but thanks for the good luck wishes! I've just got BCC nurse for seroma aspiration today (thank goodness).

Glad you're feeling better today, chezza, hope you don't feel sick again. It's good to have the helpline to fall back on.

Lois, my appointment with the Onc only took about 45 mins and then another quarter of an hour with the onc nurse going through things. We didn't go to the treatment suite at all. Different regions have different procedures, I suppose.

Annie x

How long does appt with onc take? Got my first appt Friday? Do you get to see chemo unit then? Do you get to try cold cap?
Currently spending a fortune online shopping, right up, shower and see to my animals again, little darlings they keep me going xx

Hi Chezza how are you feeling today?, no I am not today Thursday's D Day for me, hope you feel less sick this morning. I saw Shelley's post and sent a message, am sure she will join us on here very soon. Good luck Breezy for Friday xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for all of your lovely welcomes , I'm trying to get prepared for next week , I had been advised to have my Marina coil out before starting chemo , after an hour of unsuccessful attempts to remove it o have now got to go back Thursday for another go so that's another appointment I'm looking forward to lol , have my pre- assessment on Friday x

Good luck Annie

Has anyone else got appointments today???coco

Theres a lady called Shelley who will be joining us she starts hers today. lets send some vibes out for her I know some of us have already replied to her post and invited her along

Welcome Breezy to our group, Lols good luck for today, sent a PM before I came on here, am unsure re friend requests and how it works am so not techno myself, but doesnt really matter we can all talk on here or PM people when we want too.Annie good luck for today too and anyone else with any treatments or appointments, positive thoughts going out for you all. xx

Hi all
thanks Philomena for the encouragement
I went straight to bed armed with bucket and ginger biccies. I rang the christies hotline and they said I could nt take any sickness tablets til 3 in the morning as I had it in the infusion and had taken the one begnning with m when I got home.

Luckily I wasnt sick again I made sure I stayed on my back as lying on side made me feel sicky.
FElt little bit like when you are drunk and you lie down close your eyes and the room spins.
Ok so far this morning. Feel bit tired and headachey but the sickness has gone ( fingers crossed)

I was in a mixed ward but the woman opposite me had BC too and she was hillarious another dog lover so we had a good chat. Her friend had to come and hold my hand when they cannulated me as I was a wreck. On the up side I had a foot massage as a woman was doing the rounds so that kept my mind off it a bit

Hi gilly thanks, I've tried to reply to friends request, not got a clue if I'm doing it right, to be honest I don't understand it. Coco saw I've requested to what does it mean? Is it same as pm?
im so not techno .
im with you on all having great day gilly, enjoy yours x

Good morning everyone, welcome Breezey.
Chezza, hope you are feeing a bit better today and Lols, I hope Betty disappears today to give you some reief.
Lets hope we all have a great day
xxxx

Hi breezey your more than welcome. It's scary but so much more do able in a group.
morning Maisie's, amazing s, little sleep As betty boob playing up, she will be gone today (aspiration) and I hope doesn't come back again.
hope everyone slept, and all feeling calm, anyone with appts today good luck.
chezz hope your evening improved keep taking anti sickness don't wait for nausea. Ondesteron often better than metlocloprimide, (maxalon).
sam hope good news regarding Portugal today.
annie your in same boat as me today for both of us think it will be a bitbofva relief for awhile.
coco thanks for lovely pm last night Hun, have a good day
all have good days, xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Maisies , can i please join your lovely group I start 6x fec on 8th august , was diagnosed back in may and had wle and nodes removed 6 weeks ago x

Hello to you all, I've just popped over from the Awesome April Angels. I had my last FEC today, so doing my happy dance and singing my song Perfect day by Lou reed. Just to let you know that all our Angels are finished or finishing our chemo train.
Chezap, you need to take your anti sickness tablets at all times whether ou feel stick or not. It is harder to stop that nausea than to keep on top of it. If your tablet don't work, phone the chemo unit and they will get you something better.We all found Ement to be the gold standard.
good luck girls with your journey, and I can promise you all that at the end you will have made many new friends in your life, who you can laugh, moan and tell your greatest fears to. They will all rally around when you feel down. We are currently planning a big get together for next April, hopefully with a bit of hair 🙂
Philomena xx

Hi Amazings, I had my info session, I have to have the injections to boost white cells but only with the T part my EC starts on friday and like you Chez no injections with that. Had bloods done, fitted for cold cap permit for car park so all set really. I am sure we will quickly get into 3 week routine. Nurse did say could be fine no side effects at all for first couple of days and then be a bit off it . Chez make sure you take your tablets whether you feel sick or not odansetron (not sure of spelling) worked really well for me post op.
I will try to sleep now, information overload, but she made it all seem quite doable so fingers crossed!
Night xx

welcome Karen, have no idea how many of us there are now, we are growing in numbers by the day, but have to say, I would not want to be in any other group. his is the reality Chezza is the first in our group to have had her first session and is sick, so feel for you Chezza and will be hoping you feel so much better tomorrow. daisymegan, wishing you all the best for your pre assessment hope it goes ok for you xx

Welcome to our merry gang Karen xx
Daisymegan I have my pre-assessment this Thursday and I am dreading it, so will let you know how I get on xx

Sorry took me so long to write the post as nodded off.Hope you are soon feeling better Chazza. x

Has anyone had their pre assessment yet? I was told it was going to take all day on the first session as I am being given everything separately. The first herceptin is an hour and a half long. Then there's a gap in between each one to see if I have any reaction. I don't know whether it's becauae I have previously had heart problems. Each one after that is going to take four hours.
Is anyone else having TCH?
I was really put off by the chemo suite. It was the first time I thought I might be better to walk away from it. There weren't any women in there at all and all the (mostly elderly) men were sitting talking to each other. Has anyone else had this experience?
Chazza, were you in with other breast cancer patients or was it a mix? I know you had a bit of a mixup today. Hope you are still feeling OK.

Hi there. Please may I join your gang. I am due to see my Onc on the 6th August so expect to be starting my chemo within a couple weeks after that. Will let you know the dates as soon as I have them. Thanks Karen W

How on earth did that happen? Back to front posts!

Bless you Chezza, hope its just the once and not the whole night. Will be thinking of you hunni, hope bed makes you feel better xxx

Hope you're feeling OK now, chezza. Did the biscuits work?

Oh dear, crossed posts, sorry you feel rotten and hope you're better tomorrow.

Annie x

Oh crap have just thrown up I spoke too soon!
I had the anti sickness as part of the infusion so was told to not have it tonight but was told I can have one called metoclopramide if feel sick so taken that but it didnt bloody work
Gonna go to bed girls lying down might make me better
In a way I suppose this means the poison is working feel like Alice Cooper ( for those of you old enough to remember the song)

Hope tomorrow is better

Hi Maisies didn't mean to frighten anyone. My hosp funds the bone marrow jabs. 5 in all, the same as Pollyanne is having. My onc recommended before bed, so that's tomorrow night. I've got a picc line which makes it all so easy. Glad it went OK for you chezapp. xx

Hi Chezza, well done for today, after all your trauma you did so well and so hope you continue to feel ok. Hope you have a good night and Take Care xx

Hi Sam she needs to bloody go believe me!!! Welcome new girls, every time I look there's more of us which is sad really .
glad you got home ok Sam.
chezz why can't u take anti sickness tonight? Did you see my post 2 or 3 up, don't get your tablets mixed up hun
looking at wigs online, not sure if we get a voucher in wales, will ask tomorrow, we get free prescriptions so don't need a card exemption thingy, and car park free in hospitals now.
have good evenings all xx

Well done Chezza. One down the rest of us to go. Hi to the new ladies, we are all amazing!!! Remember that in times of doubt.
I spoke to BC nurse she is chasing an onc appointment for me either prior Portugal or straight after. She did say he is really busy so thinks it will be after! Hopefully they will let me know tomorrow. Got a sore spot on my boob today if it has got any redder or larger got to go up and let them have a look!

Annie and Lols, hope you both get sorted tomorrow and for you Lols Betty will be gone!

XXX

Hi Sharon, wecome to the "Maisies". We are a happy gang and try and have a laugh along the way on this hideous journey xx

started to feel bit sick now had some ginger biccies

Hi , can i join the Amazing Augusts...just waiting for my date to start anytime now, thanks sharon xx

Hi ladies, popped in from junkies, I'm day 8 first cycle of FEC-T feeling good, the jabs are ok too OH does them for me and although I took paracetamol first 2times didn't bother yesterday and didn't feel anything from it. I didn't get the tingle either chezz my nurse (male) said I would get it in my bottom, and laughed when I said I felt robbed lol. May all your seroma s and SE be little ones and sending big hugs for those of you starting this week, and all I can say is truthfully... It was nowhere near as bad as I was fearing Lynda xx

Chezz dexamethasone is a steroid don't take in evening you will be bouncing off then walls, ondesteron anti sickness, I only know cos I'm staff nurse, hope you sleep x