cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Highlighted

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

Fec#1 day 1
Thanks for the note re Emend & steroids Chezzap. I will also ask my BC nurse tomorrow when she calls. I suffered quite a severe bout of depression 4/5 years ago & Im scared the steroids might trigger it again. I have told the unit & I'm very aware of the symptoms ... Is anyone taking anti depressants at the moment?
Still no sign of any nausea .... Fingers & everything else crossed. Mind you, just realised there's 19 pills to pop tomorrow & that's not including the dreaded senokot !
Oh ....& I didn't get the booklet re sexual intimacy .... Should I be insulted or relieved??!!
Night all
Lynn
X
Highlighted

Enjoy your book Chezza, love James Patterson.
If anyone wants a book that will make them laugh I am currently reading Revenge of a single Women, its very good.
Yes Jo put a serious face back on else he will might figure out the topic of tonight!
And Chezza no worries of me defecting I am a dunking hobnob.
Off too girlies, going to roll in my bed as I have it all to myself tonight.
xxxx
Highlighted

Mental crazzzzzzzzzy girls glad to be sharing this long journey with you all its an honour , peaceful sleep girls xx ju
Highlighted

Hi Gilly - I'm 45, and my son is 8, and an Aspergers sufferer, so we make a good pair at the moment, neither of us really making much sense of anything that's happening!

As for the Fec, I'm not sure - I will ask the nurse on 23rd and report back!
Highlighted

Sam you need to get some of those pads you put in your bra when you breast feed, to mop up any extra leakage if its not healed by Saturday.
We are a lively group arent we, it is great. It will be a real giggle when we finally all get together xxx
Highlighted

ha ha hitting the hay girlies and no not for a roll in it. Ive got a date with my James Patterson book I need to finish it!!!

have good nights sleep everyone
catch you all tomorrow
love you all my crazy hob nobs xxxx
Highlighted

OH is sat opposit asking whats so funny ...... dont think I"ll share this one Sam otherwise he might get some ideas lol xx
Highlighted

ha ha like your style Sam. BTW dont you dare go thinking you and that leaky booby can defect to any September group you are a hob nob!!!! Once a maisie always a maisie
Highlighted

Deb I am cracking up here at the thought of waving willies- best not get to near Cheza with her cheese!
I have the boob out Debs with a note on the door, my dad face was so funny earlier when he read it (boob wasn't out at that point!)
If only I could be lazy and just lay in bed all day it would dry up but I just can't do it! Going dancing Saturday night so it needs to be stopped by then!
So ladies Saturday night is dancing and drinking with the Oh followed by a quick......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................chicken shish!!!
xx
Highlighted

night Debs good to hear from you and good to know SE are being kind
Highlighted

Omg Debs I laughed out load when I read the first few lines of your post , what a giggle this evening!!! xx
Highlighted

I'm with you chezza, when they look at you and with a serious face say I wouldn't advise trying to get pregnant while having chemo!!! One I am 48, two if I see a w***y waved at me at mo I will give it a slap lol!!
Glad a couple of our eagles have landed safely so far, one step closer ladies. Good luck tomorrow Karen sending a big hug your way.
Very inspiring ivorymummy and so pleased your side effects have been minimal like you said we are all different and what will effect one may not another. Glad they are getting you sorted Penn I don't know how you manage to keep on top of the lists well done we are an ever growing group.
Saw my cons today for yet another aspiration, he said when do you have your first chemo? Told him last week his face was a picture, said I looked really well, I like my consultant lol!
Sam get that booby aired girl, run free but not around the shops ha ha!
Sorry if I have missed anyone. Its good to have some laughs reading the posts on here we should write a book together ladies when we are through the other end, sure it would be a best seller because you couldn't make this stuff up
Night night maisies sleep well and hope the rest of our group are doing okay debs x x x
Highlighted

Haha Sam, I must remember that one , if ??? I ever do get back to resuming all services lol
xx
Highlighted

brilliant. cant believe some of you wanton women are partaking in pleasures of the flesh ha ha! good on you!
They are devils dumplings!!!!!! (Blackadder)
Highlighted

Gilly I only had a WLE and was concerned how it would affect that side of our relationship but OH wasn't bothered at all. xx
Highlighted

Debs I think you are our number 52 recruit. Welcome aboard. I am weeks behind everyone on here, but I am here to stay.
Spikeyred good luck for tomorrow, we will be thinking of you as you go dunking!! Has anyone actually been offered a hobnob at their chemo session? I think I may laugh if I am.

xx
Highlighted

Jo don't knock it before you try it but remember the girl guide's motto- be prepared, unlike me!! ha ha Can hear Chezza laughing from here. x
Highlighted

Chezza I know what you mean about not looking at your boobs in a sexy way now, I hate the huge jug I have left and I keep wondering if anything is going on in that one. However, we still havve a great sexlife and Ian makes me feel as attractive now as he ever did and he was a real tit man. I have no hesitation in having the other one off as soon as they will do it, it has got to look better than I do now, all lopsided.
Karen, I will be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon, drink plenty of water tonight and tomorrow morning, 3 or 4 litres if you can.
Tolliebelle is doing ok, a bit sicky and sore mouth, but coping ok at the moment
Hope all you girls get a good nights sleep, lots of love xxxx
Highlighted

ha ha thanks Jo. I just say it how I see it
This ba**a*d has taken my boob, self confidence and about to take my hair it aint having my sense of humour too it can do one!!!
Highlighted

Haha Chezza , I just love your humour and honesty re a roll in the hay so to speak last thing on my mind lol thats for sure!!!
Highlighted

hey tabitha/ debs sorry missed your post - we are so chatty on this thread!!!
well done for getting one under your belt. Dont know how long your hair is now but i would advice getting it cut short before it starts to come out as will be less distressing. Lots of us have gone for the chop and realised we actually like ourselves with short hair.
Think when time comes and it starts coming out theres no 2 ways about it its gonna be upsetting but we are all here to support you through it. I assume mine will go pretty soon as Im on day 17.
Highlighted

Thanks Ju xx
Highlighted

Hi Tabithacat and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support and shared experiences here our helpliners are on hand 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000 with practical and emotional support

The following link will take you to the 'Treatments' section of the website where you will find further information and support services from BCC including our 'Headstrong' service and publications to help you through the side effects of treatments:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=treatment

Take care

Lucy

Highlighted

ha ha Sam i just laughed out loud about the dead fox and my neck hurt!!!
Karen you sound like you ready for tomorrow you will be grand
thanks to everyone for advice re the port just cant wait for dcent night kip
Since everyones diagnosis do you not think of boobs being sexual anymore??? i realised i dont even think of my remaining one as remotely sexual anymore. Mind you I dont see myself as sexual anymore full stop. Makes me laugh when they give you booklets on sexual intimacy after bc and using protection during chemo. Are they having a laugh like I feel like a roll in the hay when going through this. Fools!!!
Highlighted

Karen sorry didnt mean to leave you out there's so many of us, hope all goes well for tomorrow get some good sleep xxxxxxx ju
Highlighted

I know Chezza although as I was typing that one of the characters was talking about a dead fox and I though, that'll be another hair piece!!

I have realised today several things.
A) I can cope with Oh being at work, even staying away as it's necessary (especially with how much shopping I am doing) But when he is home, I do not like him going anywhere with out me. I have never been so needy in my life.
B) I am currently spending less time in the house, I am always out. I hadn't really thought about it but I think subconsciously I know come chemo time there maybe times I am unable to go out or don't want to go out.
So why the hell was I shopping for a winter coat I ask myself!!
Ju- didn't leave the oroning board up with the washing basket near it for your work colleagues to take hints from? I love getting flowers.
xx
Highlighted

Tylerrose was in hospital but dont know if she is home yet. hoping she is ok
am bit worried about Jacqui and whiterose too as they have disappeared.

Tasha is ok we are messaging each other
Highlighted

Evening Maises, Glad some of the Eagles are home and feeling ok. Angie have you been given a date to go back for the central line. Ivorymummy delighted you are feeling so well. Dont appologise for feeling well you are an inspiration. Chezza / Claire delighted you live near each other, it is so good to meet up in person isn't it. Chezza hope the portcath has settled down. I know it is sore at the moment but this will settle. I think you are having herceptn so I personally think you have chosen the right thing for you. The PICC line isn't designed to stay in for as long as you would need. I had my veins assessed today and they have told me I will need a PICC line, no time before first chemo tomorrow so hopefully they find a vein in my hand somewhere. Picc line all booked for next week so this will make it easier after that. Chemo pre assessment was fine had a look round the unit and I think I'm lucky as it is very spacious, big comfy chairs and plenty of space to have someone wait wth you. As long as you don't mind heights there is a gret view over London.They have told me they try and put all the breast people together which would be good. Had a heartscan which was normal and then went and had a wig fitted. Trust me it was laugh or cry, the choice was limited but have chosen one which will be ready by Monday. Not sure it will get used much but handy to have in the cupboard.

Chemo not until 3pm tomorrow so will be hanging around waiting to get it over with. Will be in touch when I get home but it might not be too early as i have to get home from London. To those lovely ladies who have started this week hope the SE are bearable, Penn hope your allergic reaction continues to get better and Sam get that bad boob out in the air to dry some more. Love to all Karen xx
Highlighted

Maisie's hi, hope all ok , penny bless glad your feeling bit better and ivory mummy. Welcome tabichacat hope your continuing to feel ok.. Pendragon well done !! One day over i know still chemo to go but just think how far you've come Hun.
lynnk hope you feel ok too , brave ladies all of you xx. Chezz the portacath does get better hang in there you
will be sooooo glad of it especially if you've got herceptin too xxx
sam leaky boob bummer, mines still there but not half as bad xx
wheres Tyler rose???
Hope all eagles ok xx
my bosses arrived no cream cakes but another big bunch of flowers, to be honest it was fine I was a bit on guard as hate symapthy face etc but they took their lead from me and we had laugh, they want to know what they can do to help!!!!!! Well they could go for first chemo Monday instead of me going!!! They were nice though xx. Think im bit sensitive at mo !!
Annie hi, have you tried salt and water for mouth wash says its good on other threads.Xx never tried it!!!
If I havnt mentioned anyone apologies xxxxx. Xxxxxxxxxxx ju
Highlighted

Is Tolliebelle ok after yesterdays dunking Gilly??

Lynn good to have another eagle safely home. Just been reading that if you have emend you dont need as big a dose of the dexamethasone steroid so Im gonna ask about that tomorrow at my onc appointment. Hopefully that will lessen the come down.
Ivory good to hear you have fair well sailed through number one. keep it up.
I actually feel quite lucky too even though I ended up in hospital once they got some iv fluids in me and stopped the sickness I felt loads better and am hoping they are more pre emptive next time and it gets sorted.
hair is still hanging in there would be great if I could make a full cycle without losing it and without any cold cap.
Im actually losing more from downstairs than upstairs if you know what I mean! TMI perhaps
Sam typical when you watch Emmerdale Brenda has the scarf on rather than the dead rat!!!
Highlighted

Yes I know Hailsham GillyR.
My husband was born in B/Hill and misses being by the coast, We have some very fond memories of rock pooling many an evening or weekend with the kids when they were little. Now 14 and 11.
xx
Highlighted

I am in Northants Jo. Middle of the country!!!
Highlighted

Hi Jo, Burgess Hill is about half an hour from here, I live in Herstmonceux, which is near Hailsham.
Tolliebelle has emailed me, she cant comment on here from her phone, she sends her love and best wishes to you all and will be back asap
xxx
Highlighted

Sam and giilyR I used to live in Burgess Hill just out side of Brighton. We still have family there and regularly visit or at least did untill all this started. Where abouts are you GillyR?
Im originally from the west midlands ( still have family there too) and moved to sussex when I was !8yrs old (now 43) but
We have lived in Buckinghamshire for the last 8years and it is a good cental point for travelling in both directions when we catch up with family.
Good to hear from you Penn 🙂
Ivorymummy I sooooo!!! hope im as lucky as this when I start. A lovely encouraging post , so thank you 🙂
love to all xxxxx
Jo x
Highlighted

Ivorymummy, I am so pleased that you have coped well with your first session, especially being a single mum, I know how hard that is without cancer added to it. How old are you and your child? You are an inspiration. What FEC are you having 75 or 100 ? xx
Highlighted

Status:still waiting for onc appointment with still leaking boob!!
Still got note stuck on the door warning people the boob is out!
Rang docs this morning and going to see teh nurse about boob tomorrow, if I am still not happy i will be back at the breast clinic on Friday am even though OH has promised me lunch again as he is away tonight and away for 3 days next week. He just loves a little hospital visit!!!
I have a missed call on my phone from 6:35pm from unknown- the only unknown calls I ever get are from the docs or the hospital- bet it was onc's secretary knowing my luck!!! Hope the unknown rings back very soon.
Glad to see you back Penny sorry to hear you have been poorly. Glad you're back Pendragon and of course you are an Eagle despite only being dunke din herceptin!
Chezza and Ju I have emmerdale on to try to see the roadkill as you keep going on about it!
Well done Chezz and Claire for meeting up, sure it was fun despite the topic of BC.
Took step daughter out today and boy have we shopped. We have 6 family birthday in the second half of August so have done those expect my dads but I have also brough 1 Christmas present! (along side 3 dresses, boots and bras for SD and a hsirt for OH so ne doens't notice all the other stuff!) I actually went out to buy a coat!

Ladies I am cracking open the wine tonight, no reason, just because I can. Chin chin xxx

Highlighted

FEC1 Day 7

Well done, Ivorymummy! Glad to hear you've had no serious SEs, and also relieved to hear that I'm not the only one with sandpaper mouth - good to know it goes eventually!

Annie x
Highlighted

Fec cycle 1 day 13.
Hi ladies, and sorry for the very short post last time! And yes, Lol, you'll be plesed to hear that the SE's have been equally short. Don't like to boast, but...(LOL!)
Not much to report actually. I survived the "dip" weekend in the middle of the cycle with no disasters, and am actually feeling fine. Feel a bit of a fraud actually. The mouth like sandpaper finally went a couple of days ago, and apart from the biggest zit in the middle of my cheek - honestly I feel like a lighthouse at the moment, the way this thing is glowing red and white! - I don't seem to have any adverse effects at all. I still have all my hair, my nails have never looked better, and I even seem to have sorted out the squitty botty!
I'm sorry - I really don't mean to rub it in, but I know that some of our newer members have been a bit anxious about starting chemo, and I just wanted to reassure them that it doesn't always affect everybody badly. Having said that, I'm sure my time will come, and whilst you lot are all out partying after chemo 6, I shall probably be looking like nothing on earth! In the meantime, I'm just grateful (especially being a single mum with no family nearby) that I can carry on much as normal, but don't think that I don't think about all 49 (?) of you all the time (honestly we could be the 50 US States, couldn't we - Penny, if you get a mo, perhaps you could work out what order we joined in, and allocate us each a State name accordingly...only joking!)
Seeing the onc again next Wed and to get bloods, and then cycle 2 on 23rd. Can't wait (not).
In the meantime, keep well and positive, all of you, and don't let it get to you, cos then it's won.
Highlighted

Fec#1 day 1
Hi Pendragon .... All those hours in the unit ....you are definitely still an Eagle! Hope all the other Eagles arrived back safely. Not long back myself. Not half as bad as I thought. Thanks to all those who mentioned the Emend. I have a bit of a phobia re sickness & I was able to have that straightaway. BC nurse was lovely after I had a bit of a melt down yesterday & said they completely understood. Apparently they are used to tears & tantrums - hope the dreaded steroids don't put me in the 'Tantrums' category as well ! Feel exhausted & a bit achy. Local nurse is doing the white blood cell booster tomorrow so will see how that goes. Been warned about steroid 'comedown' etc etc but I am doing this one day at a time. I can honestly say that yesterday (bloods & a look round the unit) was far worse than today.
Thoughts are with everyone suffering with se''s & to Hans Solo for tomorrow. Good Luck!
Lynn x
Highlighted

hey Angie first one safely home and landed. Dont think the herceptin is too bad in terms of SE so hopefully you will be good.

Annie will let you know what onc says re the steroids as def dont want to go through that again.
good luck spikey for tomorrow.
Highlighted

hi im home at last spent from 9-15 til 4-45 at the unit. couldnt have entral line put in cos they forgot to book it so just had herceptin today, can i still be an eagle.
tired though and had to have any sickness drug so bit chilled out, theyve also taken me off my warfarin, and cant have clexane so on something compltly different, got to do two injections once a day and rem not to inject it all, got DN coming out fior seven days to show me.
was told my wig would cost me £64 si not very happy with that might manage with my £7 one off ebay??
hope the other eagles land soon, hope theyre ok, sorry penn youve been through the mill too, hows lois and samjs? me and sam found out we have a lot in common, small world isnt it she also used to do my auntys hair xx

tc all
angie x
Highlighted

FEC#1 Day 7
Maisies,
This is the updated list. Please get back to me with any errors or corrections.
Good luck tomorrow Karen (Spikeyred).
Best wishes,
Penn x

Date chemoBar GroupUsername
30/07/2013(30th July)Shelley37
02/08/2013(2nd Aug)Jacquie08
Tylerrose
Ivorymummy
03/08/2013(?3rd Aug)Paula
06/08/2013(6th Aug)Chrissie49
07/08/2013Three amigosPennyCrow
Tasha101
Whiterose
08/08/2013Three degrees +2Annie62
Bumpkin
Deb12
Breezy41
Sakura1971
12/08/2013Three musketeersRuthy1
ChristineVW/JustFab
Bakeswhenstressed
13/08/2013(13th Aug)TollieBelle
Malforda
14/08/2013EaglesLynnk
Kaz1961
Pendragon
Rainbowrosie
hotkatz_ingoa
Happycats2
15/08/2013Hans Solo?SpikeyRed
19/08/2013Dixie ChicksLols
Claire1979
Daisymegan
Rollercoaster
Chezzap
20/08/2013Dynamic DuoGillyR
Benedictus
21/08/2013(21st Aug)KiwiHelen
22/08/2013(22nd Aug)Kickit'sass
23/08/2013(23rd Aug)Venice25
Lynsey44
- Maxie
- Coco0896
- Helin (her Mum)
- KarenH
- ChrissyW
- JunieB
- Alison T
- QPR1111
- Emn
- Maseo
- Hudson126
- Avonlady
- Jo43
- Barbarella63
- hcmcleod
Highlighted

FEC #1 Day 7
Dear Maisies,
This is catch-up

Hello Kickit’sass – you are member number 50 of our (not so little) group. I am sorry that you qualify to be a member, but rest assured you will find plenty of chat, advice, experience and laughter here, in our chatty group. Paula, I’ve also added you to you members list after the moderator posted your message on our group. Please let us know if you don’t want to be listed and I can take your details off again, otherwise you are member number 51! I may have your chemo start date wrong as 3rd Aug was a Saturday? Chrissie49 and hcmcleod – welcome too. Claire1979 – you are already on the list – all comments, welcome.

Bumpkin – I’m now on the once a chemo-session Pegfilgrastim (bone marrow stimulating) injection rather than the one per day Lenograstim after allergic reaction. No bone pain, but still lots of allergy. This now being controlled by anti-histamines and today have swopped 4 hourly piriton (which completely wiped me out, spent 2 days in a haze) for once a day non-drowsy. Doesn’t stop the tingling but can live with it and GP says take piriton too if it becomes unbearable. Care from GP and Out of Hours Doctors means that I have stayed at home, rather than hospital, and GP thinks oncology will Pre-load my system with drugs in time for the next Pegfilgrastim to try and reduce allergic reaction.

Hair is starting to thin so have made appointment to see wig-fitter next week. Heartburn and nausea under control with meds, PICC line flushed by very efficient Distrist Nurse this morning. PICC arm a bit sore (bruised) but not infection. Poor sense of taste – citrus things only seems to taste of anything. Coffee is a dim and distant dream!

Venice25 – very bad timing with chemo starting on day daughter returns from Australia. You may not be sick and even if you are, she will still love you.

Updated list follows next posting. Is it just Spikeyred up at the Bar tomorrow?
Best wishes, to all,
Penn x
Highlighted

Chezz, I'll be interested to see what your Onc says about the steroids as I had a terrible experience with the comedown as well.

I've not had any bone pain with the booster injections yet, but have only had 5. I reckon they're definitely worth it, though, cuts the risk of having to be admitted to hospital with low blood count. Good luck for tomorrow!

Annie x
Highlighted

seeing onc tomorrow so going to ask if I have the emend do I have to have steroids as dont think I can face another come down like that. But at least this time if it happens I will know why and wont think Im going out of my mind.

What am dreading is the white blood cell booster injection as read so many bad posts about it on the July thread. apparently get bad bone ache with it. Sometimes it feels the things they give you to counteract SE are worse than SE themselves!! Its a minefield
Highlighted

Glad your neck is a bit better. If my veins start to suffer I would have one of those and not a PICC line.
I hope this time they get your side effects under control better so you are not as poorly. I think the first is the worst then hopefully they can adjust drug to make you cope better. Are they giving you the steroids again, you had a bad come down off those didnt you? Will you get Emend this time too? I think the thing that gets worse each time is the tiredness xxx
Highlighted

yes she has her first on 19th and has same oncologist etc. Like you say Gilly so nice to meet new people.
Port still bit sore but not as bad as this morning.
Beginning to dread cycle 2 now but gotta look at it as a step nearer the finishing line
Highlighted

Hi everyone
this is my first posting but have been watching you all over the last few weeks and you have all inspired me.
i joined the chemo club yesterday as I had my first treatment after what seemed like a very long 2 week wait. I have to be honest and say having the treatment was ok our staff are amazing and really understanding. So here I am on day 1. No major side effects yet but have loads of anti sickness pills for the next few days.
My next problem is my hair and choosing a wig all seems very daunting and scary the thought of having my hair cut off completely scares me but you need a bald head to have a wig fitted. So any advice from you brave ladies I would really appreciate it.
Thanks debs
Highlighted

That is great Chezza and Claire. Is Claires firt one next week? It was lovey when I met up with Karen this week, we are about 15 miles apart but its close enough for us to be able to meet up xxx
Highlighted

sorry to hear you been rough Penny hoping you feel much better now.

Well just met a maisie in real life! Claire lives round the corner so we just met up was great to put face to a name and be able to talk about how we feel. She has her chemo same day as us Dixie chicks too so really grateful for this website and forum as we have been able to find each other in the middle of this nightmare.
Have any of the Eagles landed????