353144posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Highlighted

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

just pulled about a dozen hairs out without feeling a thing. i guess its started
Highlighted

Wow busy day of posts girls, glad you are safely back Karen it's always a relief to get the drugs on board for you personally. My chemo info nurse said that basically you have no say in how you will react your body will be different to everyone else's and it's completely beyond your conscious control.
Welcome Julie what a busy month chemo units throughout the land are having dealing with all us amazing Augusts. Alcohol fine, I was advised not the night before and not for 2 or 3 nights after but the odd couple after that is fine. Got my paraben free toiletries and evonail today. Annie are you applying it now? I don't know whether to save it for the tax/ herceptin last 3 cycles? I paid 69.50 prescription charge to the hospital for my wig, but it cost a lot more than that, I was very relieved to get it and not look like I had road kill on my bonce! Good news if herceptin is going to be a jab then Chez will be able to have picc removed straight after chemo then maybe? I wonder when it will be rolled out? Still feeling good, I do think this is doable girls, not pleasant but we can do it I'm sure!
Gill read that article re exercise and reducing recurrence, very interesting, I was already thinking I needed to improve my fitness now I am certain of it! Also got some linseed Iin holland and barrett today, what's best thing to add it to for starters? 5.00 so I don't want itnto lurk unused and disliked at the back of the cupboard!
Glad you're ok Rainbow rosie
BEV sounds like you need emend next time too? I wasn't actually sick just felt it but they have given me it, maybe give your chemo helpline a ring and they will sort you out a prescription. I have 3 tablets ready you have to take the first one before you have yr next chemo.
Right I'm sure I have droned on enough, take care all of you, Jac xx
Highlighted

Ju I hope you get some sleep tonight xx
Welcome Julie, we are a pretty mad bunch, but we are getting each other through. Where in the country are you?
Spikey, welcome home xx
Coco, good to see you still here, big hugs xxx
I have just got back from a mammoth ride on the horses and it was almost dark when we got back!! Who turned the lights off so early now? May struggle to walk tomorrow...lol.

Sleep well all Maisies, lots of love and hugs
xxxx
Highlighted

night coco
welcome back hans solo.
nobody up tomorrow so lets hope everyone has minimal se for the weekend
another week done and dusted in chemo land ladies!!!!
Highlighted

Welcome Julie66, so sorry you are with us all. Welcome back Hans Solo, hope you are doing ok as all the drunks at the bar!!!! Have a good night everyone. Love and hobnobs to one and all xxx
Highlighted

Hiya Julie welcome to the mad house!!!!!!!
Highlighted

Karen, hi been thinking about you, take care xx. Welcome Julie best place you can be at the moment loads of support here xx
off to bed girls , did night shift last night !!!!!!! Sooooooo tired , hope everyone ok xx ju x
Highlighted

FEC 1 Day 1
Hans Solo reporting back from the bar. All went well, bit of a delay as they had mislaid the epirubicin and had to get some more made up. Lovely nurse, we just talked no stop through it all. Feeling fine at the moment so long may that continue. Hope all other who have been to the bar this week are doing ok. I will catch up on the posts I have missed from today later.
Welcome Julie, sorry you have had to join us but we are the best bunch of girls. Today was made so much better knowing that they were all thinking of me. Might try and have an early night, not sure how much sleep I will get as didn't have the steroids until about 4.15, Karen xx
Highlighted

yes keep your options open
Highlighted

Hi there I've just joined up today but like you due to start six cycles of chemo in August, my oncologist was not the best, sympathy wise so left there feeling completely shell shocked and hoping for better from oncology nurse next week. My complication is an infected seroma which is driving me mental, they've just doubled my dose of antibiotics and hopefully that will do the trick as I just want to get on with it now. I too, have had my hair cut shorter and I'm in the process of buying a wig. I feel so much is happening ' to me' that any bit of control I can take is really important. I've been told to take a spoon ful of manuka ( not sure that's spelt right) honey a day, the live one, as it does wonders for immune system. I think it is the unknown that's so scary and I'm never ill usually so it's all Been a bit of a shock. Still awaiting scans so don't know if there's been any spread but trying to take one day at a time- very hard though. I think Amazing Augusts sounds fab. Xx
Highlighted

Thanks Chezza i have to have herceptin but my bcn said they do picc lines at my unit. as long as its in for chemo im fine with them using my hand for herceptin as i thought it wasnt supoosed to be harsh on your veins like chemo is. i'll ask though when i go 🙂
Highlighted

Lynsey Id mention it to them when you go and see if they can fit yoou with one. However if you have to have herceptin think portacath is best option as it can be in for over a year wheras the picc cant
Highlighted

Justfab they always say a little of what you fancy xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Ladies
Its lovely to see you back Rainbowrosie, sorry it ended up being a long day for you but its 1 crossed off 🙂 heres hoping the se's are kind to you

I go to visit the unit on tuesday do i mention then about a picc line as i dont have very good veins only got 1 good one in the back of my hand but this is sore from being used for surgery and bone scan and heart scan, and im starting to get a little nervous about it i would rather they put in the picc and then its one less thing for me to worry about. heres hoping they can do it before Fridays start date!
and pets are great i've got a 15year old cat who likes to jump on my head at 4am everyday but i wouldnt be without him!! but i think he needs to learn to read the clock! lol

Hope Spikeyred is ok after being at the bar!
xx
Highlighted

FEC DAY 4
Little tired today, but taking it easy. May wander out tonight - have some members of family visiting Dorchester, so will be nice to see them for a short while ! Not sure about alcohol...do you think a vodka and coke or two will be OK?
Highlighted

Afternoon Maisie's , hope everyone is doing ok, nice to hear from some of you back from the bar yesterday. Welcome Carry to the group and glad for you they seem to be moving along quite quickly, so you can get started. You will find everyone here very supportive even when on days people don't feel up to much they are all there for you. Hope Spikeyred doesn't have too long a wait in London and then a late journey back, that must be so hard. Sorry Lols you didn't get more support re Cold capping, it's horrible to have dilemmas like that. Hope SEs arnt causing you all too many problems. hobnobs and Love to all Meg xx
Highlighted

Sorry didn't mean to post that twice it must be the cheesecake with loads of cream on I've just scoffed that put me off lol xxxx
Highlighted

Afternoon ladies and welcome Carry, to our no so little gathering, I've got a feeling for my second trip to the bar this Month I may be on my own, having my first treatments split over 2 days I'm back there next Thursday which is the 22nd, unless there is anyone that I can join up with, feeling great today been to work and morrisons shopping now chilling in the garden with a well deserved coffee. Hope everyone as had a good day with not to many se luv to you all Rose xxx also is there anyone from Sheffield ?
Highlighted

Think Tamsin/ benedictus is in Sheffield
Highlighted

No just spikey she is hans solo
Highlighted

H Maisie's back from wig trying, omg not good with all my hair she kept saying you've got very thick hair!!! what am I meant to do ? anyway narrowed it down to 2 but she's ordering them so phoning me next week. this lady has worked with chemo patients for years and we chatted about c capping she doesn't hold out much faith so once again a dilemma, had decided not to then decided to , now I really dunno if can be bothered with all fuss of how you have to treat hair when cold capping its a very personal decision , arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
then went for echo and they wanted to do contrast of left ventricle function but couldn't access a vein, since contrast ct I've noticed veins hardening so can see a pic line coming Monday, got bloods in drs surgery tomorrow can see me doing my own, hands a right mess and can't use other side!! Any way had chat with practitioner and think echos ok! Who knows????
ivory mummy noisy boys I love that I miss all that we could swap for afternoon.
hi rainbow Rosie welcome back one down Hun!!!!
youve all had long first days hotcatz too on first chemo , thanks for warning il assume all of Monday is taken then.
chezz you might feel better when hairs gone a sort of relief done and dusted I dunno , b......dy disease.
hope we hear from spicky red after she's drunk the bar dry , anyone else their today can't scroll back?
Hungry now so off for food, x
Highlighted

Fec 1 day 14. Got a friend of my son's round this afternoon and they are screaming and shouting - no rest for the wicked! Got my wig fitting on Monday at Macmillan - I'm taking my cousin, and I just know we're going to be giggling all the way through it like a couple of schoolgirls. Suspect we'll get told off... Only trouble is (!) I haven't lost any hair yet, and I'm told it's better to go once you're (almost) bald?
Highlighted

Very good to hear from bev and rainbowrosie. First one out of the way. You're on the road now and although it might be tiny steps all the way (although it could be giant leaps - there's someone on the June Jewels thread who is still orienteering through chemo )you will get to the end. Don't beat yourselves up, be kind to yourselves and try and just go with it xx

Highlighted

Bev good to hear yu are back and in one piece. If you keep being sick make sure you replace fluids with dioralyte to stop you getting dehydrated. First one done feels like a great achievement doesnt it

Rainbowrosie welcome back I missed your post and then scrolled up and there you are. Brilliant you got first one out of the way. well done big pat on the back and group hug!!!
Highlighted

Hi all. Just to let you know I got through yesterday ok. Day was rather long, Picc appointment at 11 so arrived in good time, left at 6pm!! PICC line was a doddle and am glad I've had it. Im trying cold cap and I was ok til it was fitted, even though I was drinking some hot coffee I seemed to go into shock from the cold and felt shakey and terrible and the coffee came out again!! Was ok once I got used to it if I didn't move my head as it them made me feel yuk. Have to have it on for 30 min before & 2 hours after meds go in, just hope I can stick with it. Felt great when I left hospital, went home had meal (& Maltesers). Slept on sofa for 3 hours (nothing new there, I do that most nights anyway!), went to bed around midnight & put tv on. Was ok til 1am & 1.45 when food reappeared. Slept well after that. Couldn't decide between tea or coffee this morning so opted for tea as usually better if tummy a bit iffy, didn't matter, 3 mouthfuls later, up it came! Felt ok after that and drank rest, have had breakfast & lunch with anti sickness meds and so far so good, just feel a bit off it and slight headache and some indigestion(gaviscon here I come).
Hope the rest of the Eagles are faring as well as me.
So, glad to get first one over and done with. Love reading all the posts, some brighten me up no end, you ladies have a great sense of humour and I know from being with my family for this that humour can get you through a lot.
Agree with other ladies saying pets are great, unfortunately I haven't got one at the moment, but they help you through a lot. I'm going to see my cousin as much as poss during this so I can get some pet therapy from her cute puppy.
Hope everyone having a good day.
Bev x
Highlighted

Fec-t#1 day2
Welcome Cary. There is some great support & info on this forum. Sorry you are here but welcome.
Rainbowrosie, sorry to hear you had such a long day yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed too. Feel like I've been hit by a truck but certainly nothing too awful (yet!).
Chezzap. Thank you for continuing to cheer me up! I know what you mean re the percentages. I'm guessing its something that will always be there - at the back of our minds eventually & not an everyday thought.
Good luck Spikeyred. Hope it all goes well.

My 2 yr old Granddaughter thinks its fhilarious than Nanny needs a nap now.... She thinks I'm going to be bouncing on the bed. Anymore steroids & I just might.....
Highlighted

cheers Gilly
Highlighted

Chezza, I have sent you a pm hunni xxx
Highlighted

Afternoon all, just heading off to London now for the chemo bar. It is great to have you guy's thinking of me. Carry welcome aboard hun, sorry you have to join us but even if I say so myself we are a great bunch of gals. Rainbowrose glad you are feeling not too bad that was one long day for you, please keep reading this thread hopefully it will allow you to smile with us and get some support from us. Love to everyone else. Promise I will check when home later xxx
Highlighted

Hi everyone
welcome to carry - I know Chelle B from the june jewels forum has her treatment at Jimmys in Leeds and she is lovely.
Barb good luck i know theres a few ladies out there starting in Sept but you are always welcome to pop round to us neighbours for a brew and hobnob!!
Jacqui good to hear you ok was getting worried
Rose great to have you out of hospital. Hopefully they will sort out meds so not as bad cycle 2
Sam - finished the new James Patterson one its called Second Honeymoon. Was pretty good. My fave by him is a stand alone thriller called Beach Road have you read it??? Its got so many twists and also a fairly recent one called Kill me if you can another corker with many a twist and turn!!
Well just got back from onc and feel bit more positive. He is giving me emend plus an anti sickness injection that lasts all cycle and has said that will have the dexamethasone with the chemo but not to take it after so hoping no awful steroid comedown and the tears and anxiety that came with that last time.
Also going to have the single stomach injection the same day as chemo. Said any bone pain would be better than ending up in hospital with an infection so think as long as have painkillers hoping to be ok.
For herceptin ladies he said that the injectable version is well and truly on the horizon so at some point during treatment this may be a possibility and will make it easier to administer.
From what everyone was saying re %s and success of chemo I was a bit paranoid so I asked him and he said the 4% is in isolation but when combined with everything else its much higher. I told him my worries about it coming back and he was saying that with the treatment I have more than 75% chance of staying clear. Wish could be 100% but am never going to get that!
I suppose in time its just something Ive got to get my head around and stop fretting about but at the moment it is still all too raw.
Hair is def shedding more today but still no patches just coming out in strands when i pull it. Think will hold on til weekend for Jose's birthday and then at some point next week just shave it off. Note to self come on Chez you can do it!!!

Hope everyone having a good day
Spikey let us know when you return from your boozy bar trip!!
Highlighted

Hello ladies,
Feeling a bit braver to just update you on my first chemo yesterday. After an hour and a half and plenty of stabbing for veins by three different nurses, they decided it would be quicker to put the picc line in! So after that procedure, then xray to check it was in the right place we were able to get going. It all seem to take a while, especially as I had a larger than usual bag of the red juice! After being there since 12.45, we finally left just after 7pm! A

bsolutely shattered once I got home that I just had some soup and went to bed. H a bit of a disturbed sleep and got up just after 5am. I'm not feeling too bad at the moment, but I won't shout too loud. Just very weary and extremely flushed, however I'm happy to take that. I am still reading your posts and you are all such a great bunch of girlie's, with a wicked sense of humour! I know that I haven't participated much, but I would like you all to know that you have helped me through a really rough time and no amount of therapy that I get has been as good as you!

Rainbowrosie

Highlighted

Just going in a minute if it looks like road kill Sam it's not coming home with me!!! Il send it to Brenda x!!!!!
Highlighted

Status: less leaking booby and still waiting for onc appointment!!!

Been to see the nurse who changed my dressing and the leaking has slowed down. Hurray. Looks like lunch tomorrow with Oh will not be interrupted with a hospital visit this week.

Welcome aboard Carry on the train one no one really wants to board. We have lots of laughs, a few tears and few rants! But mostly we support each other. Plus i am sure that puppy will keep you entertained.
Ju hope wig doesn't look like road kill!!!

Gotta go my lunch date has arrived.

xxxx
Highlighted

EC cycle1 day 8
Welcome Carry to the maisies, its sad having to join a group for bc but we are a good support for one another and like lols said tears, rants and laughs along the way we will do this together. I will probably have my 2nd set of 3 chemo at St James' s, defo the radiotherapy.
I am sure your new dog will be a joy to have it really is unconditional love with dogs. Keep your chin up and if you need to know anything at all just ask, the maisies are all on different treatments at different stages so we should be able to find an answer for you hun.
Have a good day maisies
Debs x x x
Highlighted

Welcome carry, sorry your here but there brill support and some laughs as well as tears and rants. I'm starting chemo Monday so we will all be in similar stages of this crappy journey. Enjoy your gorgeous puppy, animals help so much in all of this my dog keeps me sane. Enjoy these few days before D day, keep posting , penny is doing a list and will prob catch up later and you to our unbelievable long growing army of amazing Maisie's xx
Highlighted

HI All
I begin my chemo on the 21st August up at St James' in Leeds - only got my diagnosis last week, so a bit of a whirlwind. But good to know that you are all out there...
On a positive note, our family bought a new puppy the week we go the news - he is a total bundle of joy and is bringing laughter and life into our lives at a time that is so difficult.
Best wishes and good luck to all,

Carry
Highlighted

EC#1 DAY 14

Morning Maisies no posts yesterday as my sister came up from Wales so I was cleaning and then entertaining. I was very pleased with myself though as managed to make lunch too. Did let various people make the endless cups of tea etc though.
I have felt "amazingly" well this week, few days of nausea last week, heartburn and ulcers on tongue and then since Monday I have been surprised how well I feel! Woo hoo is all I can say, I know it may not continue but at the mo I'm taking every good day as a bonus! Plus still have another week which is the good week yet to come. Chez I know how you feel dreading the next one but each 1 is 1 down and before we know where we are we will be halfway and then job done!
I was given a leaflet for sexual counselling! It hasn't been high on my list I have to say but oh has been fab and very reassuring, I'm like you though Gill and really thinking of asking for mx for the left one too, get rid once and for all! Have a good day girls, good luck for your first dunkings and welcome newbies! I don't blame you Barbs Sept can't possibly be a busy as August, I know July isn't!
Love Jacquie x
Highlighted

Slept from 5 to 7, Sam you'd better make your way to South Wales for gp arm wrestling session!!!
got echo today, so boobs out again and I work in cardiology tried to arrange it another way but they are tooooo busy, what joy.
also got wig appt !!!
tylerrose amazing, but pace yourself if you get to tired you will have an even lower immune system.
glad you saw pm Lynn, glad so far everyone ok this morning.
need cups and cups of coffee today to keep awake, I'm used to night shifts but I'm busy on them this is just long and very very boring. Resisted the shopping channel steamer and easy painter!! Il catch up later with wiggery details I'm aiming to look stunning, hahahahaha!!!!
Highlighted

Morning Ladies
good luck to Karen for today ,I really do feel fine going to get dressed in a minute then get my grandson up, the thing is with me I like normality, I feel fine and I'm only at work till 1, I'm a slave driver to myself I suppose I did chill last night and watch tv, but I did yesterday afternoon do two loads of washing strip and change the beds and do a pile of ironing, couldn't stop myself but was happy when it was done, to me going in to work will be having a chill , if I stayed at home I would be doing more, thanks for the concern and I love you for it, speak later had a good day ladies, luv Rose posy lol xxx
Highlighted

Right I clicked once and it posts 3 times!
Highlighted

Status: still waiting with leaking boob- but slightly less over night (fingers crossed)
Glad to hear day one went ok Lynn. Fingers crossed.
Glad you are at last out Rose. They must have had good food in there for you to stay so long. Hope you caught up on last nights posts before you went to sleep, sure it would ahve brought a smile to your face. I cannot believe you are going back to work today, you are some girl. ( I won't be allowed to go work at all as I am a teacher).
Barb- I will be September too but am having duel membership as I joine dthis group before August.
Ju, tell your doctor if he doesn't give you something I am coming down there to arm wrestle him. Night shifts are no fun xxx
Highlighted

Morning maisies, good luck today to all with appointments and Karen at the bar. Lols you will have to get a job working nights hun or on the shopping channel lol! I think Sam did abit of arm wrestling with gp for her pills.
Rosie welcome back hun glad you are okay, you should be taking it steady now, like lols said is work a good idea?
Catch you later on maisies debs x x x
Highlighted

Morning Lols.....I managed to sleep until 4 so I really cant complain. Im currently addicted to Aussie Border Control...no idea why but now I'm starting to watch one's I've seen before so maybe its time to switch to the shopping channel ! Thank you so much for your PM. I have spent 30 mins trying to work out how to reply - I'll blame the chemo brain but its probably just me. Will probably talk to my GP at some point but I dont have much faith in him at all. We moved when I was at my worst & during my first visit he just gave me the questionaire to fill in & carried on faffing with his printer. He then left the room & asked me to close it behind me when I left! Needless to stay I dont see him much & havnt seen him since dx although the practice nurses are great - I'm having the white cell booster jab there this afternoon. Hope you manage to get some sleep later... think you should def give your GP an early call.
Ooh ... just found Quincy MD ... now that takes me back!
Good luck to everyone today whatever you are dealing with.
Lynn
Highlighted

Morning Maisie's I've been awake since 1.30 am went to sleep about 11pm, another night shift!!!! Might start phoning my gp in the night to have a chat perhaps she would be more willing to prescribe the odd sleeping tablet then!!!
In case I'm aleep in morning ( well later) good luck those off to the bar and all those with appts. Tyler rose glad they let you escape, work today!!!!!! You sure you should?
Right off to watch boring tv someone will probably want to sell me a floor, tile steamer , happy days or is it happy nights?...............
Highlighted

hurrah! rosie-posie's back!
Highlighted

Hi Ladies sorry I've not posted lately hope everyone is ok ladies that have up in the last few days and good. Luck ladies up tomorrow,
came out of hospital this afternoon, fine now back to work in the morning, luv to all nite nite Rose xxxxx
Highlighted

Ok ive got a fair bit of reading to do to catch up but ive just seen debs posts about waving willies being slapped away and i burst out laughing think my fella thought i'd lost it he couldnt understand why i was laughing! Bless him if only he knew!
Sam you really are having a hard time with your boob! Heres hoping its improved tomorrow i think we are all on boobwatch with you waiting for the news its stopped leaking!
well i hope everyone at the bar today has minimal se's and i havent caught up yet so good luck to anyone up tomorrow. Welcome to all new maisies this is a great group of ladies to be with!
night all
Lyns x
Highlighted

Hi Maisie's just had my onc appt today and seems that I will be stepping on the chemo merrygoround in September and not August! Seeing as this group is now so huge and I came in late I have decided to defect and start a September group! Hope that's ok and I will be checking up on your progress as I think you guys are brilliant. Here's hoping that us September girlies have as much chat and banter as you guys xxxxxx Barbs
Highlighted

All your comments made me really laugh about sex. I wish I had got the book on sexual intimacy it would have saved the embarassment of the really young nurse, although she did forewarn us that she would probably go red! The second (trials) nurse said we could always try abstinence - I think she knows something that I don't about what the next few months are going to be like.
Highlighted

Ivorymummy, I take my hat off to you completely, you have to be strong as a single parent and to deal with cancer on your own too, makes you pretty special. If you have no famiy near by, have you got good friends to help you out? xxx