353104posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Highlighted

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

glad your mum going with you. Yes family and freinds can stay whole time they even give them a cup of tea and a butty at the CHristie so make sure your mam stays with you.
I just tried on my wig again now got hardly any hair and it looks and fits so much better!! Thank God for that
Highlighted

Cheers chezz, my poor old ( she wont like the old!!!!) mum is coming with me, they said people can't stay with you in the room but can pop in and out, load of b.....ks!! When I was there on pre assessment people didnt move from patients slide, so If push comes to shove il make a fuss!!!!!
What a pants illness this is having to get ill to stay well!!!!!! Good luck for Monday Hun as you said might not be to bad 2 nd time round . There's one thread working from Monday so if we all post to say we r back we will all just have to scroll through to look for each other, I've a couple of mob numbers so il keep in touch.. Virtual, cyber handholding and hugs (((((())))))) to all I know I need them xx ju xx
Highlighted

Ju of course you are anxious. I was shaking like a sh**ting dog and the fact that everyone else there was acting so blase about it all freaked me out even more. Once you pop your cherry you will be fine the next time. You just need to be broken in so to speak. Who is going with you if OH is away as this is nt something you should face alone for first time?
Im still anxious about Monday but not as much as the first cycle. It gets better I promise you. Dig in deep girl!!
As Yoda says do or do not there is no try!!! Come on my little Lancaster bomber!!!!
Highlighted

Have a fab birthday Gilly.
im feeling really anxious about Monday but readinthy our posts girls helps so much no one else gets this no matter how much they love you.
julie and tylerrose I'm the same about trying to keep as much normality as possible for my 2 boys they aren't children but they are scared I can see it in their eyes. My youngest is 23 I tried scarf things on other weekend and I could see how upset he was, if I appear happier then they are. Es son sleeping over (26 years old) from 1 st chemo day Monday as OH has to go to Ireland for few days , more concerned he doesn't see bad se's than having them, you never stop worrying about them!!!!
still no reply from Annie , I'm assuming she suffering a bit, bless her xxx
hope everyone's had a good day weather terrible here.
Looks like asda and tescos going to do a roaring trade in hats with all us girls, chezz and ivory mummy have set that ball rolling, hope you both ok, well done i think you've both got the worst bit over x
meg if you got to airshow hope the weather was better for you than it was here.
Sam how's Betty II? Better I hope.
Well Mondays looming for me feels worse cos OH away he's offered to stay but I've said go.........., feeling very apprehensive now thinks that's why I'm not sleeping, can't believe D days nearly here... Any of you girls this worried before your first chemo?
Hope all se's manageable xx ju
Highlighted

yay with the wooly hats Im actually looking forward to winter!!!!!
It hurts less today but still shedding like crazy but not as upset today.
Highlighted

Hi guys hope it's still ok to join you at this stage in August been reading all your posts, have had my surgery and due to start the first of my 6 chemo next Friday 23! been reading all yourposts and seems like your all good at giving each other the support needed, so would like to join you!
Highlighted

Evening Maisies
Hope everyone is ok and se's are minimal!!
I too bought a hat today a wooly one!
Benedictus Thankyou that does help I am feeling ever so slightly better tonight so hopefullly by Monday will be back to normalish! that will be day 7.
Welcome to all the new girls, I have missed out on a few days and the group has really grown which is sad but it is good that we can support each other.
Chezza I know what you mean about hair hurting It is bizarre but hopefully shaving it has helped.
Gilly hope you have had a lovely birthday xxx
Highlighted

Hi Julie although I come on here and read how everyone is getting on, and it's a great support network, I try not to think about it to much now I was given the double whammy from day one, and already been up to the bar once this month and due up again next week on Thursday, I've been going work and carrying on with my every day life except for the blip last Sunday when I ended up in hospital with a bloody bug, came out Wednesday and back to work Thursday, I don't want this to upset my life to much although even after chemo as finished there will still be three weekly visits to the hospital. For herceptin and pejeta for as long as that works after that who knows what, like I said most days I don't think about it as this is going to be an ongoing life style for me, will carry on reading everyone's ups and downs it is a scary thing and I also have my husband, daughter who's 22 and my baby grandson to think about and the happier I seem to be then the happier they will be and they are my priority xxxxx Rose
Highlighted

I think it is important to still feel stylish and I will have my slap on and wig or nice hat as much as I can manage, cos that's me- anything less just wouldn't be me. I have two boys aged 15 and 18 and whilst they have been fantastic, they are scared and I think the more I look like me the less scary it will be for them, so all the time I can make an effort, I will. It's funny, in my job working with families of people with dementia I spend so much time telling them to take a deep breath and just get through today and worry about tomorrow when it gets here. I'm now getting the same advice and I realise how hard it is to do but if you can do it, it really does make things more manageable, so I'm going to try.
Highlighted

nice one Ivory yes the flat cap style are quite a la mode arent they. Think gonna end up wearing them more than scarves as it wont draw so much attention. Also they look pretty good on top of a wig and provide some extra security. With a bobbed wig looks quite new avengers look!!! I know shouldnt give a toss what others think but I still have a hard time processing that this has happened. I know everyone says dont look back look forward but is difficult at times.
You feel like a pinball in a machine being buffetted from suide to side, one appointment after the next and sometimes you njust have to sit and take stock of what is happening to us.

It always saddens me when I read newly diagnosed posts. Some poor women are sat now waiting to hear on Mon that they have bc. Christ I wish we could find a cure for this and end this nightmare for us all. Im going to do so many fundraising things when this is over to give something back.
Highlighted

Hi Chezza and other girls, I am going to get one of these. not cheap but you can get different colours and cut it to the length you want. they also sell fittings so it can go in all your headwear. I love it xxx

http://www.suburbanturban.co.uk/women-hair-loss/real-hair-fringes/real-hair-fringes/
Highlighted

thanks for the suppott all. got over my meltdown but still a bit teary ths aftdrnoon whilst watching my son do karate display at village carnival. got to me how unfair this all especially on him. i too bought a hat chezza in asda this am...a mans flat cap. just nesd the whippet and pigeons now lol! looks quite stylish actually, so at least i had sometjing to wear out today. apologies for typos, am on phone and cant see what im typing!
Highlighted

wow a busy day good to see so many of us are posting.

can only assume poor annie is having it rough as she not posted on July either. Fingers crossed we hear from her soon.
justbee thanks for encouraging us.
Ivory the hair is a massive thing. Apart from fact it physically hurts coming out its the psychogical impact. I too had major meltdown yesterday. Still hurts today so gonna have to shave more off but Ive come to some sort of acceptance now. Just got some hats from Tesco. One is a winter one and it comes down low at the bottom so it would cover where hair would be and people wont know. Thats what it is with me the thought that when Im out people will know. I dont want to be looked at with pity cos I dont want to be thought of as being ill. I even refuse to be put on our public prayer list at church and just ask them to do private prayers for me instead.
Jacqui re linseed think thats ok and helps if you bunged up also good for vitamin E.
Julie my dad has latter stages alzheimers is in hospital at mo and having all food blended as he now cannot swallow so your post touched home with me.
Rollercoaster we will be grand on Monday. Theres a few of us you, me Lols, Claire and Daisymegan. Im not as apprehensive this time as I know what SE to expect ( famous last words hope that comment doesnt come back and bite me onthe backside!)
Might be difficult for us to check in if the forums are down
Gilly, Tasha and Claire 1979 have my number. Ive got Gilly's and Claire`s so if anything happens I can let them know and vice versa
Highlighted

Good Afternoon Maisie's hope you ar e all well and not suffering too much with SEs. For those of you who are visiting the bar early next week, I hope you manage to have a pleasant weekend and Gilly wishing you a very Happy Birthday for tomorrow. Can't believe there are 57 in the group now, that is a huge group and probably so many more women out there too. Have a good evening one and all xx
Highlighted

Rollercoaster, I am up for my first dunking on Tuesday, it all feels too close now! I am having FEC too and herceptin. Fingers crossed we do ok. Good luck xxx
Highlighted

Just a note to fill in some gaps for the list. I'm having 6 FEC cycles followed by 3 weeks radio then a year on herceptin. Feels like a long road but trying to take one step at a time. If I have to be on this road it's good to know I'm not alone, I'm one of the Dixie chicks, that has a ring to it! Doing my duck impressions at the moment, calm and serene on top, paddling like mad underneath - Monday won't be long now! Thinking about all you other Amazing Augusts too, lets hope all goes to plan and not too bad SEs
Highlighted

E-CMF #1 Day 4
Just Bee. Thanks for the encouragement, it's good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is a long and sometimes dark one.
Deb 12 & Jacquie 08, lets hope cold cap helps us to keep even some of our hair. early days yet, but fingers crossed.
Lynnk, sorry you're feeling so rough. I think my se's may be minimal as I am only having Epirubicin at the mo (the E of FEC).
Bev x
Highlighted

Fec-t #1 day 4
Morning all. Hope all with se''s start to feel better soon. Tolliebell .... Hang on in there! I'm also aching in places I never knew it was possible & suffering terrible stomach cramps. As long as there's no temp I think it's all part of it. Happy Birthday GillyR. And all those out on shopping stree's - enjoy! Don't think I can manage any of that today. Thank goodness for online shopping!
My Granddaughter is having her 2nd Birthday party in the garden tomorrow.... May have to sit this one out. Just beginning to realise how much we take the little things for granted. Hopefully by Monday I will be able to taste some birthday cake.
Take care all ....I'm sneaking off back to bed
Lynn
Highlighted

Hi ladies day 16 think hair might be starting to come out a bit but all other body hair intact , back to the bar again next Thursday expect it to have all gone by then my hair is still long but keeping it tied up in a ponytail 24/7 feeling fine in myself at work this morning but on hols for the next 2 weeks xxxx Rose
Highlighted

Hi Tollie
Don't know if it will help, but days 3 - 7 of my first Tax were the worst bit of the whole chemo shebang for me. Subsequent Tax did get easier and by the last one I was able to entertain 3 small children quite successfully. Hang in there cos it does get easier
xx

Highlighted

Morning Maisies, yes I'm using cold cap Bev, so far so good day 16 today and lost half my eyebrows, pubes etc but hair is still in place! Daren't get myhopes up too much and have wiglet on starters orders! I did buy a silk pillowcase which I love and have been very gentle w wide tooth comb and no hairdryer.
Any advice on golden linseed use girls? I did ask earlier but I think posts get missed when there are a lot at once! So less than a week till next dunking but each 1 is one less! Thank you for the reassurance I'm sure we will be glad to be looking back on this from a year on too! Just Bee I don't feel very brave but our motto a la Christopher Robin says we are braver than we believe! Sorry to hear you feel so rubbish Jill mouthwash gargles helped me w nasty metallic taste and sore mouth, also iced lollies. Hope you feel better soon. Xx
Highlighted

Hi bev yes I am using the cold cap, it does extend the treatment time and not sure if it will work but giving it a go for now. Day 10 no hair loss seen yet but I think it comes later than day 10 so I will let you know the results.
Breezy fingers crossed we will both have minimal se's next time, I think the mistake I made was the give me one set of anti sickness tabs to take with another if I needed them, I didn't take the second lot straight away and thought I would see how it went. I now know that it is better to stop the nausea before it kicks in so will take them straight away next time. Julie I also had pure fruit juice ice lollies when throat sore which helped plus gargle with salt water, colgate non alcoholic soft mint mouthwash £1 from poundstretchers, nice too.
Jesus never thought I would be giving a list of stuff for side effects but hey ho here we are and good to share lol!
X x
Highlighted

Soz- night horses are what I've always called nightmares, don't ask me why but it seems to fit. So sorry for those of you already starting your chemo and having the sore mouths and hair loss, I still can't quite believe its going to happen to me but can't believe I'm going to be brave. I work with people with dementia and in its latter stages they often have problems swallowing and develop sore mouths. We recommend yogurts, jelly, and puréed fruit, anything really that's cool and smooth. Don't know if this advice fits our situation but I will give it a try when the time comes for me. I guess anything is worth a go, I love my grub so will be gutted iI'm not able to eat properly!
Highlighted

Hi Amazing Augusts. I was doing this last year and your threads have been a trip down memory lane to see how far I have come.
The chemo isn't too bad because we expect SEs but the shocking things - like hair hurting when it falls out and taste buds going haywire - are hard!
I now have a short CURLY crop of thick hair - it was long fine and straight. I'm on letrozole for 5 years but just wanted to say that you'll get through chemo and you're all brave women xxx
Highlighted

E-CMF Cycle 1 Day 4
Morning Maisies. Hoorah! Weekend, no one at the bar. Hope everyones se’s are minimal.
I can’t seem to get my head around being on Chemo as so far, other than day 2 I’ve felt ok. No doubt it’ll catch up with me sooner or later. Only thing I seem to be getting is indigestion/heartburn, is it the chemo drugs or the anti- sickness ones give you that? Also sleeping ok too.
Had a nice evening out with family, even managed a couple of glasses of cider.
Benedictus, you are the only other on the same regime as me (2 weeks ahead of me), hope bloods ok on Tuesday and no delay.
Chezza, sending a big hug to help you through losing your hair, I just know that when it happens to me I’ll go into meltdown, am dreading it as most of us probably are. Is anyone else using cold cap?
Happy birthday for tomorrow Gilly. Have a lovely night tonight.
Bev xx
Highlighted

Thanks Deb , will do and thanks for advice it's so nice having you all to come to with these Ses for advice and tips , we were dunked the same day deb but as I was in hospital I was delayed on finishing my tablets hence I seem behind you on Ses at min , hopefully next time will be better 🙂 x
Highlighted

Small consolation breezy but the spots, sore mouth etc do go in a couple of days and your sense of taste comes back too! I had strepsils for my throat and they seemed to work on sore mouth too as antiseptic/ anaesthetic. Have a good shopping day and try to buy yourself something too x x
Highlighted

Hey Tollie, sorry you have been so rough, I guess you are on tax this time and had different meds last time, so maybe different SE's. We are here for you to whinge to. Do try and eat little bits though and keep drinking lots of water. Can you manage something like a jacket potato if your mouth is sore, you need to keep your strength up hunni. Big hugs coming your way xxx
Highlighted

Fec 1 day 10 , good morning ladies .actually slept better last night but have now got a few ulcers and my skin is spotty ? God when will it end . Annie is day 10 the same As deb and myself , do hope she is ok , off out shopping with oh and 3 out of my 4 kids to finish school uniform, start uni shopping for yd and baby shopping for ed , so will be absolutely skint later lol have a good day all xxx
Highlighted

Hi Gilly. Hope I'm up for Tuesday. Had bloods done yesterday and they're too low at the moment so need a repeat test early Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed cos I really don't want to be delayed. And we couldn't be the Dynamic Duo if that happened either which would be rubbish xx

Highlighted

Morning Maisies
TAX Cycle 1 day 5
Back on line yey!!!
Hope everyone is coping ok will have to look back at all posts just got new adapter this morning. Gilly happy birthday (saw that post)
Am not doing very well have struggled the last two days. Legs aching? and really bad stomach pains but no temp so assuming just a side effect! Not impressed have felt really yuk. Cant sleep! haven't eaten sore mouth want to cry!!!! BUT I will not let it defeat me ( At least I dont think I will!!) I really just feel like phoning onc and saying NO MORE!!!
Sorry ladies to come back on and moan but really don't remember it being this bad last time!!!
Highlighted

Chezza you will look good hun very trendy, keep smiling hun! Benedictus I feel for you and know what you mean tiredness comes so quickly, but it is only for now hun hang in there.
Ivorymummy sending a big hug your way, have a good cry and get it out you have every right to mourn your loss!
X x
Highlighted

Chezza I am sure you look stunning, have fun xx
Ivory mummy, you are entitled to a cry. I did mine when I went form long to short hair, but I love my hair so much now that I am sure there will be more tears when mine starts going too xxx
Highlighted

Chezza that is a great idea, I have Spikey (Karens) number so we can keep in touch and keep the rest informed. It is strange how we worry when one of our gang havent checked in.
Benedictus, you have every right to mourn your time with your wee one, but it will only be for a few months and we will all get the spring back in our step. You are with me on Tuesday for your 2nd one arent you?
Julie, what are night horses?? lol I had a look at that site, they have some lovely stuff, I can feel a spend up coming on.

Have a great day all

xxxxx
Highlighted

fec 1 day 16. had a bit of a meltdown this morning. first time i have cried since diagnosis in may. didnt think losing my hair would affect me this much.
Highlighted

ha ha night horses good one not heard that before

Tamsin think the one in Mancs is 24th and 25th jan think its a Fri and Sat think you have to call the number to reserve a place so will do that on Monday me thinks- be good if you can make it from across the Pennines!

ok ladies off to cinema now not braved the wig in case it rains got my anna bandana baker boy hat on and lots more make up than normal to try and offset the `butch` look ha ha
bloody typical that the film going to see is Tangled aka modern version of rapunzel oh the cruel irony!!!!
have good day girlies
catch you later
Highlighted

Gilly have a lovely birthday weekend, x
Highlighted

Chezza that is a fab idea I'm definitely in like you said it stops everyone worrying! X
Highlighted

Morning all, I might go a get hair cut much shorter next week in preparation and going to pick my wig up on Friday, also found a fab website called surbubanturban, which made me chuckle but theyve got loads of lovely headgear on there and I might just treat myself. Seroma still very red and sore but I'm psyching myself up for a Tuesday start until I'm told different. I'm defo staying off Internet now re cancer stats, gave me night horses last night!
Highlighted

Sounds sensible chezz, think this is about Annie's 11 th or 12 day post 1 st chemo!! Normally Annie pm's back.
does your head feel better now since shave ? X
Highlighted

Ooh! Lots of posts all of a sudden. Happy birthday for tomorrow Gilly!
Was talking about younger women's forum on my post. Should have made it clear x

Highlighted

Friend of mine did some of these a couple of years ago when she was diagnosed and found them really useful. To the extent that she is now a facilitator for some of them, so you might see her there! What are the exact dates and I'll check whether that's one of hers.
Hair still hanging in there but feeling rubbish. Walked to the sorting office to collect a parcel and it nearly finished me off. Made me sad because it's the same route i was doing for the school run twice a day without giving it a second thought and it made me realise that as the cumulative effects really get going there's no way I'm going to be taking or collecting my little one for the foreseeable future. That used to be our quiet, precious time when we would chat away and put the world to rights - time you can't get back.
I'll stop being miserable now

Highlighted

Dont know what anyone thinks of this and not for everyone but maybe we could pair up and give our number out to just one person and then if we get ill and in hospital we only need to let that person know and they can let the rest of us know.

I know some of us may not want to and thats fine but it stops us from worrying if someone hasnt checked in for few days.
Highlighted

spooky Gilly crossed posts!!!
Highlighted

Good morning ladies, I hope all are as well as can be this morning.

What are we going to do without our natter next week, it will be horrible.

Its my birthday tomorrow so we are all going out for a meal tonight before my lad goes back to base tomorrow. May not see him for a couple of months now, so there will be many tears when he goes tomorrow. I wont be the same mext time he sees me.

I hope that Annie is alright, is anyone in direct contact with her?

Hope everyone has a great day, the sun is shining in Sussex today
xxxxxxxx
Highlighted

morning girls
Does anyone know what day Annie is on if she in middle week it may have hit her. Hope she is ok and just taking a rest from us gas bags but if not responded to pm she might not be well
Even though hair shaved still loads on pillow this morning so looks like gonna have to brave another shave and go down even further!!! Dont think can go out now without a hat as it is too short so dont suppose will make much difference now if shave it all off or not.

So does everyone just post on one thread on Monday???

has anyone signed up for a 2 day younger women forum in manchester at end of Jan. Hotel paid for etc. Think am gonna do it as chemo should have finished by then and might be just before rads starts so might be a nice little break. Would be good to see some of you there but know thats easy for me to say as its round the corner from me.
Am off to an open air cinema today with Rafael just hoping rain stays off
Gilly hope you doing something nice for your birthday weekend!!!!
Highlighted

EC cycle 1 day 10
Morning maisies, lols sorry you had a rubbish night again I seem to get about 3 hours sleep then I am awake snd up again and do the pattern continues aargh! This is very alien to me as my family nickname is 'koala' as usually I can sleep for england with no rocking neede lol! Ah well at least I don't feel ill that I can't handle.
Penn shame you are going to miss the gala but I am sure your OH will get some good pickies for you. No not heard anything from Annie fingers crossed she is ok.
Can you confirm what they are doing on here and for how long it will last, would hate not to be able to speak with you all?
Have a good day maisies x x
Highlighted

FEC#1 Day 11 (Thanks to Tasha, I’m recording the correct day again!)

Morning Maisies,
Another lovely morning and hopefully the good weather continues for the village Gala today. Sorry to be missing it but don’t want to tempt catching any bugs. Sending OH out with camera instead to capture the moments.

Sorry to hear that you were up in the night Lols – try and rest up today. I’ve finally started sleeping much better these last couple of nights. Very niggling lower back last night (either bone pain due to injection or just old age!) so resorted to hot water bottle and ibuprofen which lulled me off to sleep. Sense of taste definitely improving – just enjoyed some grapes and will make porridge in a moment.
No not heard from Annie62 since 14th – she has not replied to my PM of yesterday.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a good weekend and may all your SE be small ones.
Best wishes,
Penn x
Highlighted

Morning Maisie's, did the night shift again so in for a tired day!!!
Hope everyone's ok , just scrolled back and not heard from annie62 since Wednesday also not answered pm, hope she's not in hospital, any one know? If you reading Annie hope your ok Hun x
Out for meal with family today, probably last chemo free day out with everyone!!!!
Enjoy your weekends , think we can all post on just one thread from Monday so a lot of reading for us all, happy day girlies xx ju
Highlighted

EC #1 DAY 15
Hi girls week today till I get dunked again, this is quite weird, feel like had flu just nicely getting better, yet am going back for them to "reinfect" me with it time and again? Takes a bit to get your head round it I feel!
Welcome newbies, can't believe we have broken 50 and may well reach 60! Chez I have lost most of my eyebrows, quite bizarre didn't even notice them falling out, one looks like half has been shaved off! I hope your head is hurting less now you have had it shaved? I really dreaded this like Ju but as so many things this b....y year I have come to terms with it and my 69.50 wig is very good. Saying that not got to the shaving day yet so may not be as okay as I think I am in practice!
My sister went to get checked this week and ended up having core biopsies taken from what they think is a cyst but had to make sure! Honestly how much more bad news can 2013 bring?
Have you all had e mail ref boards being read only from Monday and one thread only open?
Whatever will, we do Maisies? Might get caught up better as I'm sure I keep missing posts! Hope we all have a good weekend Jac xx