353104posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Highlighted

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

I think we're more than entitled to feel a bit sorry for ourselves, don't worry, it will pass. You could try watching a dvd or a bit of tele to take your brain in a different direction for a bit . Hugs and kind thoughts xx
Highlighted

Christymay, Katz , rollercoaster, I feel exactly same , thanks penny , big hugs to all today ((())) think we've hit bit of a low, I hate this but penny said it all xxx
Highlighted

Thank you penny, today is the first time in a long time I feel sorry for myself & hate it!
Highlighted

Sorry kaz1961 to hear you're feeling so fed up. I'm FEC 1 day 6, and i do feel bit better, not 100 percent but doable. My tongue gets sore when i use mouthwash which isn't what you'd expect but hey, who knows what to expect these days! My ribs area is a bit tender today, not sure why but compared to endless puking this is all a doddle ! Sleeping is a suck it and see thing every night, some better than others, just sleep when you can is the easiest. Keep your chin up, things will get better, hugs to you and all, x
Highlighted

@Christymay wrote:
So there is light at the end of this never ending dark tunnel, did anybody else think is this all worth it or is it just me??

I think all of us have felt/do feel/will feel this at some point in our chemo.  Take heart, you will NEVER have to go through this day again, you are one step closer to finishing and if nothing else, everyone on this forum knows exactly how you are feeling.  Be nice to yourself today.

Highlighted

Cheers penny il look on labels xx
Highlighted

So there is light at the end of this never ending dark tunnel, did anybody else think is this all worth it or is it just me??
Highlighted

Feta?  Only if pasturised.  If buying yourself check labels and select pasturised variety.  If not buying or if eating out, perhaps not risk it.

Highlighted

Kaz and Christmay - hang on in there - it does get better - honestly!

I know it doesn't feel like that at the moment but things do improve.  By mid week 2 I was feeling more my old self again and by week 3 I was full of energy and whizzing around again.

Thinking of you both and sending positive vibes....

Highlighted

Girls is feta cheese off or on menu? Xx
Highlighted

Fec day 8, still feel ill, I was thinking every day would get easier but no it's not! So fed up too, sore mouth, big fat cold sore, feel shattered, bad belly, I wish there was something we could do to start feeling a little bit human again, & god yh 5 more courses!
Highlighted

FEC Day 5

No taste buds, sore gums, cold sore, stomach not feeling quite right and fed up.  How bad does this get? Is there anyone else suffering this on day 5.  I just wonder how I am going to get through another five courses of chemo.  Is everyone sleeping okay? xx

Highlighted

Try pineapple juice and ginger ice lollies great for sore mouth and nausea apparently! I've made some to try before I start chemo and they taste amazing! I'm lucky I've got a juicer so made fresh but if you haven't you can buy pineapple juice 😊 Barbs xxx
Highlighted

Hi sam, have sent you a pm re tuesday
Highlighted

Chezza:  Take a pill, cos it was around day 5 last cycle that you started being sick wasn't it?  Bear in mind the steriods act as anti-sickness as well and I reckon that once you stop taking them  any nausea still lurking can rear it's ugly head, so I'm still taking my anti-sickness religiously.  

So, ladies, I hoovered my head this morning.  Picked up the tip from the June Jewels and must admit it was rather liberating.  I was down to a number 4 but still had hair all over my pillow so a combination of a hoover and a hair wash has just about finished it all off.  And it's done and I feel better for it.  

Lols:  Glad you've "gone"!!  I suffered terribly last time and so got myself organised this time around.  Tried all the natural remedies last time - rhubarb, strawberries, liquorice etc etc and nothing worked, so this time I got Magrogol and senna from the GP and am taking a combination of both.  It's working fine!

Still doing the night shift cos of the steroids so feeling pretty spaced out, but should begin to turn the corner tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Hope everyone has a good and se free weekend - and the sun shines, cos it's pouring here at the moment!

x

Highlighted

Maisiecake. Thanks for your post on hair loss. I too am on E-CMF and am trying cold cap. Cycle 1,Day 11 & no hair loss as yet, but it's early days. It's encouraging to know if it does go it soon starts growing back.
Hope all the ladies dunked yesterday are doing ok with minimal se's Bev xx
Highlighted

Let me know ladies if  the frozen pineapple helps.

Gilly  the two leaking holes appear to have plugged themselves- hurray!!! Thank god OH didn't get felt out and my dad didn't need to call the plumber!!

Day on my own today as OH has gone to watch football- his excuse for s drink with the lads. I think he needs today out as he said yesterday he doesn't get to go out on his own now. He wasn't being mean but it is the reality as I am so needy at the mo. And how i hate feeling needy!!

xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone 1 down 5 to go I tried the coldcap and thought it wasnt  too bad, the whole expereience was ok the staff were so friendly and informative which i was pleased about as I wasnt given any details before, I learnt more from you girls on the forum beforehand, but came away with quite a bag of tablets and several mouth washes, felt very nauseous last night and very light headed but feel bit better this morning, hope everyone else who had treatment yesterday are not feeling too bad and hope we don't have to many se.

hope the rest of you ladies are doing ok seems likes quite a lot of headshaving going on this weekend and not great experience with wigs, i know how that feels really didnt like the wig buying experience myself

love to all you lovely ladies and hope the can have the best weekend possible under the circumstances

Highlighted

Hi all

just thought Id pop in from April's awesome Angels to send encouragement on the hair front! all my hair went in 1st cycle , starting with lady garden! later , about cycle 3/4 I lost eyebrows and eyelashes. It seems like a big issue at the time, but honestly you do get used to it. i wore a wig to begin with, but gave up in the hot weather and just wore scarves. Anyway what I really wanted to say is I still have 3 cycles left to go (ECMF) and my eyebrows have grown back, eyelashes are short and stubbly but definitely there, and hair is growing back- about 3 mm long at mo- no bald patches! I've had to shave legs and pits for the 1st time in months! Lots of members from April who were on FEC now have stubble/fluff too, so hang on in there- it goes quicker than you think!

good luck

Melxxxx

Highlighted

Thanks for the tip on the sore mouth problem, I've had a bad night because of it, so have sent my hubby out to get some pineapple, anything worth a try!!
Highlighted

Sam,

Brilliant idea about frozen pineapple - I'll definitely try it.

Hope you have a splendid day organising for your Tuesday Strawberry - something very positive to do while waiting to hear about chemo when leaking has stopped.  Your time will come never fear!

Highlighted

Hi ladies

Breezy - well done I feel for you with the hair it is so traumatic when it goes even though you know its going to happen.  I still cant stand sight of myself in the mirror as it reminds me of what we are going through.  I look ill now and I hate it

Roller my dad in hospital too but he has picked up C Diff whilst there so Ive not been allowed to visit him.  Its just too risky.  I know its really frustrating not being able to visit.  As the others have said see how the land lies when you get to week 3 and maybe then it will be less of a risk.

Lols - nice to hear that theres been a result ha ha

Think the hunger again is steroid driven.  I blame everything on steroids!!!!

I feel bit nauseous today so think gonna take a tablet but I know will zonk me out.  Which is the lesser of 2 evils???  Sick or feeling like a zombie????

Hope everyone else coping as well as we can with SE and the hair loss.

Will text Lynsey in a bit to see how she got on with gp etc.  Dont want to just yet in case she is managing some sleep dont want to disturb her

Highlighted

Have a great day Sam and I hope your tea party is a huge success. I can understand you wanting to get on with things. Give the team hassle every day until they are sick of your voice, that should get you moving xxx

Highlighted

You chatty bunch. I went out at 2.30 yetserday and have had 5 pages to catch up on. Lots of hair problems I see. Think I will need a bottle of wine to get through mine- if it ever happens. How daft but I am  jealous of  your SEs cos I want this flaming thing to start as the sooner I start the sooner I finish. Hopefully  referral being sent again yesterday might prompt someone to bump me up the list!!

I have had  a brain wave about sore mouths. Lay pineapple chunks out on a baking tray and put them in the freezer. Then when they  have frozen put them in a tub. You can then take them out when needed and suck on them. 

I am off to the cash and carry this morning to get pink sweets as I have organised a strawberry Tea for Tuesday afternoon to raise money for the site. I have a friend who rents out  vinatge china so we are having a very Vintage Tea Party. People are donating cakes and I have been amazed at the generosity of people in donating amazing raffle prizes. I am very excited about it. 

Catch up later Maisies xx

Highlighted

Dear Rollercoaster,

Sorry to hear that your Dad required surgery again.  A worry for you.  Hope he is on the mend now.  I would resist visiting him if you can while he is in hospital as this could put you in hospital too.  I realise that is easy for me to say, if it was my Dad I'd be tempted to visit too.

Dry hair: wig-fitter yesterday said that dry scalp very common with chemo and she recommend taking a little of my face cream and adding a couple of drops of oil (an essential oil or BioOil, whatever to hand) and massaging this into my scalp every couple of day.  This might help your dry hair too.

Highlighted

Thanks Jacquie - hopefully technical hiccups will be sorted soon.

About shaved head:  at least you tried with the cold cap, I gather it doesn't work for everyone.  I decided not to bother. 

Seeing bald head takes time to adjust.  After I had mine shaved yesterday at wig fitting I kept catching sight of myself in shop windows and being quite shocked.  However, surprise has faded and when I took a look in bathroom mirror last night didn't think I looked too bad with No.2 white fuzz - quite trendy.  That was, until I used additional mirror to look at back and top of head - big bald patches!  Ah well, the illusion was nice while it lasted - vanity, vanity.

Penn x

Highlighted

Hi gilly day 6 , feel tiny bit like me today , been a nightmare. . No sore mouth yet touch wood . Things smell different , ears hurt feel tired but could be worse xx ju
Highlighted

Ju, what day are you on now, I forget how far ahead of me you are? I enjoyed my normal movement this morning instead of rabbit droppings...lol.

The only bad thing I have craved is Tyrells ready salted hand cooked crisps, think body wanted salt for sore mouth. I am eating lots of blood boosting food like spinach, peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, salmon, fruit etc. Fingers crossed it does the job. Good job I am craving those foods though. Ian bought me my favourite muffins from Tesco last night but I have no interest in them or anything else that is stodgy. Very strange but I am not complaining xx

Highlighted

Pendragon - I absolutely concur with Bev - the Limbo waterproof covers are great and very easy to use.

Highlighted

Hello June,

I've tried WORD.  The problem seems to be that I create the lists in Excel because there are so many of us.  If I typed straight to WORD with spaces I can see that would work but I export from Excel.  If I try to export straight from Excel or from Excel via WORD the tabs go to pieces and to reset 60+ lines by hand via the preview function is just unreasonable.  I've tried Comma Separated Values but that is no better.

Also, I've had problems with warnings saying I've exceeded the character limit (20K).  This is clearly the tabulation as I haven't got >20K characters in the spreadsheet - now that really would be a BIG monthly chemo group!

Please ask your techies if am I missing something obvious? 

All help appreciated.

Penn (August Maisies)

Highlighted

Hi gilly I'm going to take omeprazole all way through I absolutely hate indigestion. By the way I have just EXPLODED sorry if anyone's eating breakfast but what a bloody relief!!! Ps I've cut loads fruit upto in fridge gonna have to go and get more now appetite back, currently fancy chips ( dont even like them). It's like being pregnant without the joy!! Xx ju
Highlighted

Thanks Annie - we'll get there.  All sites have teething troubles.

Highlighted

FEC# Day 5

Ju, I have been hungry since day 2 but luckily I have craved fruit and salad!!! I made fresh fruit salad and put it in the fridge so I could help myself when I wanted and it has kept me going in the mornings but not as well as ususal, this morning was back to normal though, so I expect to get loose now.

I am taking omeprazole too every morning and it is wonderful stuff, no heatburn or indigestion at all, for the first time in years. Do we take it all the way through or just the first weeek or so?

Sore throat and mouth come and go, but I guess the worst of that is still to come

xxx

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for the info Lols, that helps with the decision anyway. Not sure he'll be up for much himself right now, but might try the skyping in a day or two, good idea, thanks. I think he's in a main ward at the moment, they're still not sure exactly what the infection is apparently. Meanwhile, my dementiad mother has discovered how to use the phone again, oh joy! Love to all, shame its raining when we could get out eh. Do your best girls xx
Highlighted

Hi rollercoastervwe wanted to pop into work ( medical and cardiology ward) with my sick paper and gp advised no from day 5 little immunity. Spoke to chemo nurse on phone about something else but she advised no. Is he in cubicle or main ward? From day 14 I think you've better immunity. It really affects our lives this chemo , good job it's not for ever. Can u Skype him if family take laptop in? Xx
Highlighted

My hairs gone really dry as well, felt like straw when i washed it yesterday very gently of course. Dont know what my weekend holds yet. 88 yr old dad made it through major surgery for 2nd time in 6 wks yesterday, would like to go see him but not sure a hospital ward is best place to be right now, especially since he has a wound infection and my white cells are on the way down now i guess. Any suggestions anyone?
Highlighted

Morning Ladies hope everyone's had a good night, took last steroids last night , so rosey glow should now start to disappear , sorry to say to those who didn't but slept well last night, just got up early to have a cuppa and a chill before grandson wakes up, hoping weather is better tomorrow as wanting to get car boot done as daughter has boxes of the littles ones clothes to get rid of , feeling fine today , one thing I will say I always leave the site logged on on my phone but at least twice a day it logs me off and I have to reset my pass word ,what a pain only this morning I tried the pass word I used yesterday on reset and it logged me straight in , weird xxxxx Rose
Highlighted

Morning Maisie's, hope everyone ok. Nice weekends planned? I'm having constipation problems, shouldn't with meds I'm taking!!!! So il probably explode later today . Taking omeprazole so indigestion at bay bone pain improving touch wood!! Brother coming down to Wales today so cheerful faces still it helps you forget. Since yesterday I'm soooo hungry this normal? Not good for waist line!! Good news OH back tonight can't wait dunno why though, but feel its important I see him.
Keep eye on se's maisiescas reduced services with bank holiday get in there ASAP if you need to.
What's the hair situation girls? Mines gone dry don't think there s any less, bloody legs still got hair gonna have to shave later!!! Got wig fitting Wednesday il be day 11 then so hopefully il still have my own to go to shop!!
Have good days all of you , relax and enjoy bank holiday xx ju x
Highlighted

First day iff dexa for me today so will see how I go. Only had a half dose anyway due to emend. Think I will take anti sickness fir extra couple of days anyway to see me through. Woke lots last night but could be due to it being so hot and the heavy rain. Hope those at the bar yesterday are doing ok
Love to you all
xxxxxxx
Highlighted

Hey, does this mean all the dixie chicks and all the maisies are feeling nearly human again? If so, thats brill and if not i'm sorry and hope you soon do. The sleeping thing is still a struggle, but then i did an extra 2 days worth of dexa and Ondanestron due to sickness!! That plus someones car alarm is not a good recipe i suppose. Nevermind, we'll get there, hugs to all xx
Highlighted

Thanks Gilly you too xx

Highlighted

Hi Jac, glad you are feeling better tonight, hope you get a good nights sleep hunni xxx

Highlighted

Poor Penn I think you have been very patient it really does my head in trying to format stuff like that!  I was less distraught than I though having my head shaved, it was just a shame wasted all that time freezing w cc on last time!  My wiglet fits better now, tried wearing my sunglasses though and they really dug into my head under it! Had to squint.  Caught sight of my baldie head in mirror 4am and actually jumped, think it's going to take some getting used to!  Feeling better now was a bit yuck earlier but put seabands on had ginger tea and strangely an ice lolly, oh very good suggestion, which seems to have done the trick.

See how much sleep I get but the emend does seem to be making me quite drowsy.  Days to do we can do this!

Remember "this too shall pass"  thanks Judy glad you are safely out the other side!  Night Maisies lets hope we all feel better in the morning eh? Jac xx

Highlighted

Thank you for the info Judy - I shall persevere with the cannula & keep my fingers crossed. Congrats on getting to the end of chemo! Lynn
Highlighted

I can't watch headstrong on my iPad either x
Highlighted

i cdnt watch it the other day on my laptop but can do now xx
Highlighted

thanks huni xx
Highlighted

Pendragon. Try this for picc line for shower. www.limboproducts.co.uk click on half arm & carry on. I've got one and it works a treat. Bev xx
Highlighted

Is this link /video for headstrong not working because i'm trying to view it in on my ipad instead of on a laptop?
Highlighted

Hi Pennycrow

It's me again with regard to the lists you are creating.

If you try the lists as tables in word then post them onto the forums this may work.

Let us know if you have any problems.

June