cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

It was Spikeyred for suggesting the quote?  Thank you Chezzap and Gilly, I will have to make a note of that.  Good job you both remembered.

It was Spikey, we are not cycling distance, but I have been there xx

Thanks Penn I love that one not read it since my children were small!  Xx

think was spikey red

Ha I was close by accident I meant when I was a child!  They are lovely read aloud books aren't they, was it you that cycle d there Gilly? Sorry I got a bit muddled! Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Jacquie - the quote is a very good, apt piece.  I didn't want to take the credit for suggesting it to the group and  I can't recall who did so (my turn for chemo-brain!).

The poem you are trying to remember is called "Vespers" and it appeared in A.A. Milne's first children's book called "When we were very young". Emblematic of a very different world in the 1920's.   His second book was entitled "Now we are six".

Vespers - A.A. Milne

Little Boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on the little hands little gold head.
Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares!
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

God bless Mummy. I know that's right.
Wasn't it fun in the bath to-night?
The cold's so cold, and the hot's so hot.
Oh! God bless Daddy - I quite forgot.

If I open my fingers a little bit more,
I can see Nanny's dressing-gown on the door.
It's a beautiful blue, but it hasn't a hood.
Oh! God bless Nanny and make her good.

Mine has a hood, and I lie in bed,
And pull the hood right over my head,
And I shut my eyes, and I curl up small,
And nobody knows that I'm there at all.

Oh! Thank you, God, for a lovely day.
And what was the other I had to say?
I said "Bless Daddy," so what can it be?
Oh! Now I remember it. God bless Me.

Little Boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on the little hands little gold head.
Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares!
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

Jac, they were "When we were very young" and "Now we are Six". My dad used to read them to me as a child and I did the same ot my kids. Love the rhymes. Very special memories through generations xxx

Sorry Penn it was cos you put at the top of our list I like the full quote though, I love Christpoher Robin is saying his prayers hush hush whisper who dares as well.  We had books when I was young, was it Now we are six?  Chemo brain I can't remember!  Xx

well done Christy.  Big up to Christy xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Christymay - Hoorah!  Join the club.  That's the most difficult hair-bit over.  Well done.

Guest user
Not applicable

@Jacquie08 wrote:
take care all of you and remember Penn's Christopher Robin to pooh bear.

(Not me who first suggested it.  A very good quote.)

August Maisies:  Braver than you believe, stronger than you seem.

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”  
―     A.A. Milne

Well I've gone & done it, the hair has gone xxxx

Jill

I had to ask for more as I knew the emend would only last for couple of days and with me the sickness kicks in day 5 - 6.

If get from GP it takes few days am told as apparently in higher doses they are used as an anti psychotic drug.  Apparently the part of the brain that tells us we feel sick is same part that sees little green men!!!  For thats reason you may be best going to your chemo hospital and seeing if you can get them from their pharmacy.

I found them alternated with cyclazine worked.

pm me your mobile cos you are in trhe wirral arent you

Hi all you Maisies - I'm just joining this forum although I have been reading for a while. I started my chemo on 21st August - whats that group called? I think I'm before the Bond girls am I? I'm having FEC-T - 3cycles FEC and 3 cycles T. Not too bad at the moment - have a PICC line (with Limbo cover - priceless). Just had nausea for the first day or so, and a headache. Is it the steroids that make you feel so wired? I can't sleep - hoping to catch up a bit tonight - never had so much energy!!! Not sure how this works - may have posted twice!!

Hi Ladies

Sorry to hear so many not doing so well hopefully as has been said when gets to week 2 will start to feel better.

Sam good news on the appt front AT LAST!!

Daisymegan as all the others have said don't feel guilty about your mum I am sure she would be upset to think that you did. It's not easy but like with anything no one knows until they go through it.

Penny homemade cakes/bread sound Yummy!! I may get the baking stuff out myself although got to say not the best cook in the world!

Hope Lynsey is ok???

Chezza did you automatically get more Levopro at your 2nd dunking or did you have to ask? Mine run out on Tues and I am still feeling nauseous if I dont take them!! Fed up now Lol x Am at hospital to have picc flushed so will ask for more or can you get them from GP?

Hope everyone has a good evening

Jill xxxx

best wishes to Lynsey as you say Chez once they get some iv fluids into her and prob iv aniemetic she should hopefully settle.  here was a guy having a blood transfusion when I had my chemo yesterday and he looked soo ill, what really shocked me though that his dob when they checked the blood was 10 days after mine, he looked about 80!  I felt quite well compared to him poor soul!

My parents came today and I think my Mum was more upset about my baldie head than me, this of course made me even braver about it as I could see she was close to tears, I'm sure your Mum would have done the same Daisy Megan, we all try so hard not to uspet our nearest and dearest. OH probably get the truth more than anyone or my poor hubby may be alone in this?

Anyone else has a sore throat with emend? Apparently only 1 in 1000 do........but I'm 1 of them! Be glad to get through next few days and then if I do the same as last time things do improve.  Baking and catching up on box sets plus gardening have been the advantages of being off work this summer.  I love my Annabandana stuff they are really good value and look good too!

take care all of you and remember Penn's Christopher Robin to pooh bear.

love Jacquiexx

Please don't feel bad Daisymegan, I think all of us would say that we did not appreciate what this was going to be like until we too are in it, both my Mum had it and my Sister in Law is like me living with Secondaries and until you get dx it is so hard to appreciate what it's like. I hope you soon feel better and coping better with your SEs. Sorry to hear Lynsey is in Hospital too, hope she soon feels better. Hope all Maisie's have a good evening and night am aware so many of you are suffering at the moment and thinking of you all. Take Care xxx

Hi there all you Maisies - I'm only just starting to post although I have been reading the forum for a while.  I started my first cycle of chemo (Fec - 3 cycles T - 3 cycles) on 21st August.  I'm still feeling very wired from I think the steroids - is that the effect they have on you?  I can't sleep no matter how early I take them in the day.  Thank goodness I only had to take them up until today - just hoping I can catch up a bit tonight.  I've never had so much energy!  Is there anything that will help with this?  Probably a case of grin and bear it I suppose.  Not to many other se's - did feel a bit sick even with the anti-sickness meds which I took.  Also bad headache on first and second day for a few hours.  Any advice gratefully appreciated! 

Oh, what are the group I'm in called?  I don't think I'm a Bond girl - went to the bar on 21st?

will do she knows all the maisies are thinking of her.  Once they get some IV fluids in her she will feel better.

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm so confused re bloods but can't do anything until Tuesday anyway as its b/h on Monday, sounds like it might not go ahead from what you say but I'm going to pin them down whilst I'm there that's for sure and try and get something sorted.
Guest user
Not applicable

Chezzap - That's not good news about Lynsey.  When you next text with her please tell her we are all thinking of her and hoping she is feeling better soon.

just heard from Lynsey she is at hospital with voniting still.  Think she is going to be kept in.

Guest user
Not applicable

Daisymegan - don't feel guilty about not knowing exactly what your Mum went through and feeling that you didn't help her enough.  None of us can really know what other people are feeling and thinking until we walk in their shoes.  Your Mum was/is obviously very loving and protective towards her family and wanted to save you all from what she was experiencing.  You are blessed indeed.  She definitely wouldn't want you to be upset about it now as you go through your own ups and downs.

Daisymegan, I am day 5 FEC #1 and I know how you are feeling. Each day I wake up hoping I will feel a bit brighter and I still feel like I am stuck in glue, head banging and feeling rough. I am looking to day 7 on Monday and hope I feel a bit more human again. Please dont beat yourself up about things you didnt understand as a teenager, not many would and I am sure both my kids have no idea. I just hope they never go through it. We will feel better soon, chin up xxx

dont feel guilty Daisymegan Im sure your mum wanted to keep things as normal as possible for you at the time and didnt want the bleep that is cancer impacting on you when you were just a teen.  And exactly as you say unless you are going through it yourself you really dont understand how hard it is.  I thought I was a real tough cookie til this came along and kicked me in the teeth.

All of us on here have our own struggles aside from the BC and we all cope in our own ways including you.  I bet you a pound to a penny that your friends and family are in awe of how you are getting through this.  I know we have no choice really but even so just think how far you have come since being diagnosed and you are a step nearer the finishing post now.  You have to hang onto that thought to pull you through it.

Agree to the like button for penny home make cake and bread where's mine lol xxxx

TCH Cycle 1 Day 5 (or is it 6)

Tried posting earlier in week but think it disappeared. Really fed up of feeling so ill and can't bear the thought of it going on like this,  but keep stopping myself because lots of you seem to be going through so much, not only with BC but also your families and coping on your own. I don't know how you are doing it but I just hope you have got people out there to support you. 

My mum went through cancer (twice) and it's awful to say it but until you are going through it yourself, especially chemo, you have no idea what it's like. My mum brought four us up on her own as my Dad had had cancer too. The second time I was a teenager and I am just feeling really guilty now that I didn't understand how much support she really needed.

You are a very special group and just so inspirational. Take care. x

hi all

Sorry to hear so many of us are suffering today.

Im on day 6 cycle 2 and although still very tired not quite as zonked out as yesterday.

Yes Tamsin it was day 6 last time it all went Pete Tonge so Im a bit paranoid today.  Have taken an immodium just in case and a cyclazine to keep nausea at bay.  That doesnt zonk me out as much as levopro so am hoping that will be enough to get me through next couple of days.

Christy and Kaz hold on in there girls.  Penny is right it does get better mid way though week 2.

I find day 1 2 and 3 absouletly fine its around day 5 and 6 I hit my low both physically and emotionally.  Then around day 8 I start to pick up again.  |Think we need a couple under our belts to know our individual pattern.

Sam great news on appointment.  Lets get this show on the road!!

have text Lynsey but no answer yet so hoping she is ok as she was bad last night. 

Im beginning to wonder how on earth on the days I have literally no energy how Im going to get Rafael dressed and take him on school run.  OH is going to return to work 10th Sept and Im already panicking about how Im going to cope.  Have decided to put Sergio in nursery as theres just no way on my bad days I can look after him.

Tash will have a look at email in a bit once little un in bed etc

Guest user
Not applicable

Also anything you eat standing up has no calories. Everyone knows that... Xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you Gilly.  I used to bake bread and cakes allot when children were small but got out of the habit.  Now I have the time and, at least this week, the energy.  Needless to say, homemade cakes and bread contain no calories at all Smiley Wink

Penn, you last post needs a "like" button. Both sound yummy xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Just had a normal afternoon doing domestic things.  Baking chocolate bread for tea and daughter has cooked lemon drizzle cake.  We will all be like little telly-tubbies!

Guest user
Not applicable

Excellent news Sam!

Just very lucky not to feel ill, onc lowered my chemo to 90% hopefully to stop my white cell count dropping so hopefully won't pick up a bug this time , luv to you all xxx Rose

I agree!  Superwoman you certainly are, Rose - respect!  Smiley Very Happy

Only one thing to say to all that, Tylerrose, WOW! How are you getting through all that stuff and only on day 3 as well, you must be superwoman or something. Don't overdo it will you, save some things for tomorrow or you will show the rest of us up! Take care all, x

Day3 2nd dunking Afternoon ladies having a good day again been to toys r us for grandsons birthday pressie he will be 2 tractor and trailer , called for a full English now feel stuffed loaded car up for car boot in the morning , chillin for a bit with a coffee then an afternoon of ironing and hopefully a good movie , hope you ladies are feeling better today as I see some of you are struggling with se,s don't mind my bald head infact drove to Rotherham yesterday and didn't put scarf on till I got there, wire wig today for the first time looks ok but straight off when I got home just feels a bit warm to ware luv to all xxxxx Rose

I had my pre assessment at the chemo unit 10 days before chemo started and they took a blood test then and said that one would be ok for a starting point and it was a good one, hb 13.9. Heres hoping it stays good enough. Glad you're feeling a bit better christymay, retail therapy helps a lot!

Julie I had to go to get bloods don't 2 days before first chemo they wouldn't take any other blood results even for base line xx they are quite strict as they use the first one as your guideline x

Julie, I had to have my bloods done two days before my first chemo.  Surely they'll need more up to date tests?  Perhaps they can do them on the day, though.

Sam, so glad appointment finally arrived. Sorry to hear some of you are having a bad time of it, but you're allowed to feel sorry for yourselves. Be good to yourselves today, tomorrow's another day and hopefully a better one. Sending cyber hugs Bev xx

Hiya well I've just put some tinned pineapple in the freezer so we will see, fingers crossed, I was having a bad day earlier but just been on anabandana website & ordered a couple of things so feel a bit happier now, it's so much cheaper than my wig shop, thanks who ever recommended it, x
Guest user
Not applicable

Had bloods done a few weeks ago and as its my first chemo I think these are still ok. Ill be annoyed if not as no one has told me any different. I will await events on Tuesday!
Guest user
Not applicable

It's funny someone mentioned the GI Jane look cos that's what I'm hoping for although my fear is I will look more like Voldermort....I'm way behind you other August girls still, not sure whether chemo will go ahead next week or not but latest should be first week in September. I can't believe I want it to happen but the longer its delayed the closer it will be to Xmas and my birthday 29th Dec, when it finishes and that's always my special week but heh ho, that's life I suppose. Still stiff as a board but stretching like a good un so hopefully will improve soon. Redness on chest is fading a bit and temp seems to be coming down although its so humid here today, I'm sweating buckets whatever. I know this sounds like a stupid question but do you freeze fresh pineapple or will tinned do? Jxx
Guest user
Not applicable

sam glad its come through at long last huni

Morning Masies's

Sorry to hear so many of your are suffering today.  I know its been said but it really does pass. I'm day 11 & besides a few niggly se's, am feeling so much better.  Hang on in there! Lynn

Hurray!   So glad you've got your appointment, Sam! Smiley Happy

Yay so pleased for you Sam onward and upward eh? Xx

EC#2 DAY 2

Mornng Maisies, well I am not feeling too bad, my parcel arrived from Annabandana and although it is the strangest shopping I have ever done I do feel better with a nice head covering, wig really annoys me for any length of time!, I remember reading a post about boob and wigs being left around the house and I thought oh I won't do that ........but I am! 

I haven't gone out bare headed though Penn I think you are very brave, it is "amazing" what we can do though isn't it?  Thank you for the reassurance Mel I didn't realise it started to grow back whilst we were still having chemo.  Mind you I go onto tax so I don't think that is very kind to hair?  My naked conditioner for delicate scalps has soothe d my soreness. I have a bald patch like babies do from rubbing in the cot! I am sorry so many of us are feeling down, I'm sure we will look back and be surprised how quickly it has gone.  At least we aren't starting this at Christmas the chemo nurse yesterday was saying she had ladies have their first chemo on Christmas eve how awful is that?

Take care and as said before be kind to yourselves, I am craving carbs so I think you are very good Gilly, I have lot of fruit so will follow your fruit salad tip.  Ice lollies are fab, have to try the pineapple too.  Xx

Just a quicky- oncology appointment has arrived Monday 2nd September!! At last xxx