1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Rollercoaster

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

Don't worry abut the lingo, you pick it up as you go along but if you or we don't understand something we can ask, we're all here for each other and thats the best feeling, knowing we're not alone in this minefield. Its the thoughts that count, the lingo is a side issue, Hugs to all, xx
Anne-Marina

Hi Maisies - I am trying to get in on this but having no luck trying to post??

Christymay

I thought cuz pineapple is sharp it would sting? But you girlies seem to know wats good so I have some freezing as we speak, thanks Maisie's, I know this might sound silly but y Maisie's, I still not in with the lingo, please help xxx
chezzap

Ec cycle 2 day 7

morning maisies glad to see we are feeling bit chirpier today.  Lols hope having OH home is a source of support.

Christy some ladies have said that pineapple the colder the better and ice lollies are good for sore mouth and non alcoholic mouthwash.

Apart from a stiff neck Im feeling much better today energy has come back and think will chance a walk out weather permitting.

hope everyone feeling ok

will text Lynsey in a bit and see if she is still in hospital

Christymay

Thank you, anything worth a try, it even hurts to drink my cup of tea( with a straw) , will try salt water next then
Coco0896

Spikeyred hope you enjoy the cricket at the Oval, I went on Wednesday and had a great day xx
Rollercoaster

Hi Christymay, I have issues with all mouthwash making my mouth/tongue really sore at the best of times. I am actually allergic to the Corsodyl, so using Colgate non alcohol mouthwash but still makes the tongue sore . To prevent problems now I am adding a tiny bit of water to it to weaken it just a little bit to stop the soreness, it seems to help. The other thing you could try is salt water, if it's the best you can manage, give it a try, it might relieve it for you.
GillyR

Roller coaster I am sure they will sort you for next time, ask for Emend when you see the onc, it is the best.

Christie, definitely one day at a time and although I feel a bit better today I still have strange things going on in my ears which is really annoying. Eating like a ruddy horse this morning though and still hungry...lol. I will be a hippo by round 2!! Already planning todays roast dinner.

xxxx

samjs

Morning maisies,

Hope you managed a decent night's sleep, I did with my magic pills, still in bed now. Ju really hope you have a better day now Mart is home. Remember all who have had bad time this week, butlins something to look forward to. Spikey so glad you are feeling well and are having some days out and about.

The age average of the group is low, and I blame certain things for mine. However, despite having to poison ourselves to get well as least we found it and it can be treated.

Xxxx

Christymay

Morning all, I actually slept for 4.5 , can't remember the last time I did that! Hopefully will make me feel bit more human now, we will see? Any tips for this sore mouth? hope everybody is feeling even slightly better than yesterday, I thought every day got better but have realised chemo doesn't work like that, so now it's see how I feel wen I wake up & do wats doable!!
Rollercoaster

Hi Pennycrow, thanks for the reassurance. That was the worst part of the whole thing so they have said they will sort it for next time, I just think i will be more anxious whatever happens after that experience. Hugs to all, x
Guest user
Not applicable

Rollercoaster, don't worry about being as sick the second time.  Your oncology team will adjust your supporting medications to stop this happening again.

GillyR

Good morning Penn, you just made my mouth water with thoughts of cake!!

I cant believe we are back to the 2nd session for you guys, that 3 weeks has gone so quickly hasnt it. Lets hope it goes that quickly for all of us and we can be out of this xxx

Bakeswhenstres

Morning Maisies,
Hadn't realised so many of us were young ( well, for bc anyway)! I'm 41 btw.
Lols, hope you're feeling better this morning. Honestly once the hair is gone it's not such a big deal - the anticipation and actually losing it is the worst bit.
Enjoying feeling better, I even managed a short walk yesterday. Now if only the laxatives would start working!
Hope everyone is doing okay and managing to enjoy the bank holiday.
Katherine
Rollercoaster

Hi Gilly, I'm on day 7, had chemo number in last monday. I was very sick, couldn't even keep water down. Spent 24 hrs in hospital on drip and anti sickness stuff, thought I'd been run over by a steam roller! But much better day by day, yesterday still very weak and wobbly but today much better. Just wondering how things will be next time, a bit anxious about that. I never want to be that sick again! Sounds like everyones ses are waning though, so can glide gracefully to the next hurdle. Have a good day all x
Guest user
Not applicable

Good Morning Maisies,

FEC#1 Day 19

Well done to Gilly, Rollercoaster for good sleep – hope everyone else managed restful night too?  Any news on Lynsey?

It’s a cloudy and “dreich” here in the Highlands this morning.  Fingers crossed that it will improve as I’m hoping to get out and take some photographs.  I’m fine and well but PICC line is nipping a bit.  I look to have minor infection around insertion site so will ask about it when I have pre-chemo bloods taken tomorrow.  Daughter’s Lemon Drizzle cake was delicious for tea yesterday – there’s not much left (always a good sign). 

I think that the age profile of this group will be primarily under fifty. Those I think to be in their fifties are Annie, Jacquie, Rollercoaster, Lucy58, Tylerrose and me, - (apologies if I have aged anyone prematurely) although there may be others.  Part of this demographic shift will be down to better awareness and diagnosis - identifying the disease earlier.

Subject to positive blood results, those up to the bar this week should be a round dozen:

Tues 27th Julie66 (Chemo #1); Chrissie49 (Chemo#2)

Wed 28th JunieB (Chemo#1); Three Amigos #2 (Tasha, Whiterose and me)

Thu 29th Three Degrees +2 #2 (Annie, Bumpkin, Deb12, Breezy and Sakura1971)

Fri 30th Jo43 (Chemo#1)

Let me know if I have omitted anyone.  Not sure where Shelley37 and Paula are in their chemo cycles? A special hug to those having chemo for the first time – it’s not nice, but it is doable.  After the first session you know what to expect and that makes life easier.

Now, breakfast is calling…

Penn x

spikeyred

Morning Maisie's, Sorry not been around for a few days but pleased to report it is because I've been feeling human again and been out and about with no time to look at the computer. I'm off out again today to watch the cricket at the oval so hoping for some sunshine. Promise I will go back and read all the new posts since we got our own thread back, there are so many as usual so haven't got time before I leave this morning. Just wanted to say thinking of you all every day even though I haven't posted and hoping everyone is managing there se ok. Xxx
Lols

Morning Maisie's, beautiful day here in South Wales. Hopefully my mood will match it once I'm up. OH home bit emotional and then he slept. I couldn't was to upset but il get a grip today. Thanks for all support last night , what a band of warriors, the best thing about bc is all of you. Hope everyone's se's settling, I'm ok ish touch wood and hungry!!! All have a relaxin happy day , with or without hair!! Xx ju
Tolliebelle

Morning Maisies

Hoping everyone is feeling better today. Gilly glad to hear you are feeling more normal! today.

Lols hoping you are having lovely reunion with hubby and having him home is making things easier for you.  I struggled for a week on Tax before starting to feel better hoping next one will be easier have heard that first one is normally the worst (here's hoping!)

Hair starting to depart this morning moulting more than the dog!!!  May take the plunge later and shave it off.

Hope everyone has a lovely day sun is out here already off to take dogs for a walk.

xxxxx

Tylerrose

Morning Maisie's hope you all had a good nights sleep day. 4 second dunking I'm 56 trying to get my daughter out of bed as we are doing a car boot this morning nit having much luck as she's been out nearly all night with her friends grandson as been up since 6.30 little monkey but I did have a good nights sleep speak to you all later and about the hair once mine had been shaved off felt fine I don't mind the bald look got a bit of the Jessie J going on lol luv to all xxxxx Rise
Coco0896

Morning Maisie's hope you are all waking up, and feeling better today, so nice to hear that you are finally feeling better Gill, and that continues. Lols , hope OH coming home was great for you with big hugs instead of our virtual ones! Sorry to hear about your hair and that is beginning to come out, that must be very upsetting for you. To all of you I hope you are feeling brighter today and can enjoy a little of normality. love to all xxx
GillyR

What day are you on Rollercoaster and werent you quite sick at the beginning? I am on day 2 off the steroids and already feel much more human again. Yesterday I still felt very wobbly on my legs. I may wander out for a walk today if the rain stops at some point. It is nice to feel we are coming to the end of SE's hopefully for this cycle. Have a good day xxx

Rollercoaster

Ah Lols, hope you had a reasonable night and are feeling better with your OH by your side. I don't know how you managed without him, i couldn't have, you must be stronger than you think. Where have i heard that before? Sorry to hear about your hair leaving already, I'm sure all of us are dreading the actual event but from what I'm reading on here, once its gone its actually easier to cope with than you thought, I hope thats right coz I'm gonna cry like a baby when its my turn . On a plus point, I feel much more normal today. Now i finally got off the steroids etc after two extra days, i managed to sleep much better, 10:30 - 6:45, wow and then a bonus explosion. Can life get any better than this? (I hope so). Hope all others beginning to recover too. By the way, I think i must be older than most of you on here as I'm 59 and my wonderfully supportive daughter is 30. I had lumpectomy in left breast on 5th July and started chemo on 19th August, but hey, all being well will finish on 2nd Dec. thats not that far away and after the next cycle will be a third of the way through this horrible treatment. Just trying to keep positive, its doable if hard and we will all get there with all the support we have. Come on maisies, we WILL kick the butt of bc. (Off my soap box now), morning everybody, breakfast time now , hugs to all x
GillyR

FEC #1 Day 6

Slept for a whole 6 hours last night woohoo!! So far this morning I am feeling like me, but I am not holding my breath. Lols, hope hubby is home and you are feeling a bit better today, lots of us have struggled this week.

Christie, welcome to our happy gang and I am glad you have found some comfort here with us. I am only 46 and most of us are around or under 50 I think. These girls have been a lifeline for me in the last month and have given me strength when I thought I had none. We will all get to the end of this rubbish and we will do it together.

Thinking of Lynsey and others who were at the bar on Friday and havent checked back in, hope they are ok.

Love to you all

xxxx

Jo43

night night girlies 🙂 hope tonight is good to you all and you manage to get some sleep. xxx

chezzap

me too night night maisies

Lols

Night Maisie's, luv to all thanks for being there xx ju
Christymay

I'm going to try & get some sleep.... Never going to happen I can tell but you can but try xxx
Christymay

I'm sending you a great big hug & lots of love
Lols

Thanks girls if it wasn't for this forum I'd have given up. Knowing others are going through this **bleep** helps so much. Xx
Christymay

Wow I didn't know any of this existed! I will def be up for a reunion, that will be amazing, getting through this journey & then meet each other, wow, I'm excited. already!
Lols

In about an hour I'm probably going to cry my bloody eyes out. Yeah it's bit itchy but so thin and was so thick , wtf, we deserve some amazing times after all this , all of us xx
chezzap

Lols sorry didnt see your post.

Im not sure about that regime but with most its 2 to 3 weeks after.  Have you googled it to see?

Is your scalp itchy and tingling??  It may just be cos you been feeling run down since Monday and you are on look out for it.

OH will be there any time soon to give you a massive hug chick

what time is he due back???

Jo43

God I wish I was 21 again lol xx

Arrr Ju , sending you a big hug hun..... OH will be home soon to give you a real one. I bet he wont let go , as Im sure you have been on his mind 24/7

xxxxxxx

chezzap

Lynsey is 32 think she is the youngest in the August maisies.  Claire 1979 is only 34

There s quite a lot of us are in our thirties and forties in this thread which just completely refutes the theory that BC is rare in women under 50.

No matter everyones background though we are all in it together.  We are a very mixed bunch some of us have grandchildren, others grown up children and some of us have babies ( myself included) some of us have step children and some of us dont have children  which makes me very envious at the moment as my little one decides that 5.30 am is breakfast time!!

If you are interested there are some younger womens weekends across the country.  Theres one coming up in Cardiff, London and Manchester.  The Manchester one is end of Jan so Im going as Im hoping  chemo will be finished by then.  Accomodation and meals are free and its achance to meet others so am def up for it.

BTW Christy you might not know that we are planning a reunion next year when we have finisheed chemo at a Butlins so we can let our hopefully regrowing hair down and meet each other and basically have a damn good laugh

Lols

Having bit of panic attack just realised hairs coming out dont know if TAC chemo makes it sooner wasn't prepared for so soon gone really thin I've been to ill last couple of days to bother with hair really. OH on way home hasn't seen me since I started chemo could just cry and cry. I know in grand scheme of things it little but right now it's major I m soo sick of it all already. Sorry Maisie's no one else to moan to at mo xx
Christymay

Amie my daughter is 21, at uni doing adult nursing, she has been amazing through this x
Christymay

Oh my god, I'm not the youngest person with bc, that's the way I've been feeling, xx
Jo43

How old is your daughter Christy? 

chezzap

very similar to me Christy Im 39 too and had mx 1st July

Christymay

Well here goes, I was dx with bc in June, had mastectomy 15 th July & started chemo 16 th aug, I'm 39, got 1 daughter & a hubby & live in Worcestershire, it's so nice to have others to talk to who understand exactly how I feel, not sure of all the lingo at the mo so might need a bit of help on the way please , xxx
Jo43

Best wishes to Lynsey, hope she is back with us real soon. xx

chezzap

you used to be able to read peoples profiles Christy but all that info seems to have gone when they switched over

Jo43

Hi There Christy and welcome, I see you have joined whilst I have been off line for a while .

you dont have to, but it is always lovely to get to know each other better. 

much love 

Jo xx

Christymay

Not sure when I joined if I sposed tell bit about myself?
Jo43

Hi Maisies ..... I have been away from my laptop a few days and BOY!!! have I got some catching up to do lol

Oh dear , seems like lots of hair shaving and nasty se"s for many of you 😞  I sincerely hope they improve very quickly for you all.

Daisymegan I would just like to share this with you hun. I"m 43 with a 11yr old and a 14yr old and although we have spoken in lenght about BC and what it means to us as a family, my children are really quiet emotionally unaffected by my dx and treatment, which I find comfort in. They are too young to have the worries I have. Thier biggest disappointment was having to cancel our hoilday, which I totally get, as I too was gutted. I know that the best thing I can try and give my children right now is some sort of normality to our everyday lives and try and stay as happy as I possibly can in their presents (easier said than done sometimes , but I think I'm doing ok at it) because I know if they see me ok and happy, then they will be too. 

So I guess what I'm trying to say to you hun, is please dont feel guilty about your mums treatment and what you did or didnt do. I think as a parents we shield our children from as much pain and upset as we possibly can. I'm sure you were less aware of what was happening with your mum for the very same reason as my own children are right now , which I think is a good thing. No loving parent wants this for themselves or their family and I;m sure your mum was no different. Dont be so hard on yourself!! much love xxx

Sam I'm so please your appointment has come through....YAY!!

To all other Maisies , Im still catching up on the post , but I havent forgotten about you all.

Take care you lovely lot . xxx 

samjs

That's amazing ChristyMay, what a fabulous supportive family. My Oh won't need to shave his as is already bald. I am asking him to shave mine when we  get to that point. Sure it will be emotional for us both. Hope everyones's SEs are getting less and you all manage to get a decent nights sleep. 

love that A.A.Milne quote and the poem. 

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Fec 1 day 17 evening Maisies just trying to catch up on all the posts lol , well done christy I feel so much better for doing mine , oh and 3 adult kids think I look good but 9 year old doesn't want to see me bald so wearing all my annabandana hats during day and cotton sleeping hats at night , survived a whole day out at monkey forest today in my wig and felt confident nobody stared at me so I'm guessing it looked ok , After 9 hours I was glAd to take it off and I did find my sunglasses dug into my head with it on , hope your all doing ok and love to Lynsey xxxx
Genevre

Hello everyone, I’ve never wanted to go on any sort of forum before, but coming across so many brave upbeat women I realise it would be stupid not to! Diagnosed in May, surgery in June, finally started FEC 16 days ago. Only minor side effects this time – so far so good.  I tried the cold cap which was horrible, blinding headache for duration, but hair is still firmly intact.  Only thing is my scalp really hurts – is that significant? I’m not sure I want to go through cc any more – is that mad? I’d sort of come to terms with hair loss before I knew there was something that might help. Why am I obsessed with hair loss when I’m apparently calm about having BC.  Makes no sense.

Good luck everyone!

Christymay

Thank you, it wasn't as bad as I was imagining but my daughter was there to support me & my brother, sister, hubby & daughters boyfriend all had theirs done, how amazing!