74.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

I'm back from my second round as well - reduced dose of FEC for this and the next one due to my neutropenia, so hopefully all will be well this time.  Also had a different nurse who was lovely and made the experience a lot better than last time!

Am really tempted not to take the steroids I've been given as they make me feel so awful.  As I've never felt sick, I can't see the point...there again taking them may have prevented sickness!

Annie x

Just a quick reminder of our facebook page. A closed group for the maisies to chat and share.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/165815423611027/

Hi thankyou again for your replies dont know what i would do without you support. love Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Supply of gelclair for my mY mOuth ulcers too so that's good so just having some lunch and going to have a nap hope everyone else is ok xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Maisies I'm home , was borderline as to whether it was to be postPoned until next week as bloods were low but I had my 2.Nd dunking , took abit longer due to Meds being changed and like penn said it's like having. A pharmacy with all the meds lol , but hopefully il be ok this time and have got a su

Gill, have you finished the steroids now? Day 6-8 for me was like that, just felt very strange and co ordination was not right. Someone said they felt like a thunderbird puppet and it described it perfectly. I am now day 10 and feel myself again xx

I will see dr Mon 9th at 12 then go up for treatment straight after, hopefully about 12:30 ish. May see you there, that would be good

Venice25. I was like you for first few days. Someone told me (think it was chezzap) that after day 5 your blood count can drop and make you feel tired. I'm sure some others can clarify this as it didn't happen to me. Probably because I'm only on Epi to begin with. Rest up and don't do much for a few days xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all -
FEC#2 Day 2.
Reasonable night.  Zonked out on meds.  Some nausea so back on the ginger biscuits.

Second FEC went very well.  The pharmacist came to see me in oncology first thing to check I was clear about the plan for my supporting meds regime.  (More on this in a moment).  My oncologist came to see me after chemo to check my PICC line infection after it was redressed.  Infection is healing nicely - hooray! - and I have been given antibiotics to have on hand if I need to take them (Hopefully not).

Supporting meds to try and avoid a reaction to my bone marrow injections are blockbusters.  I came back from hospital with enough meds to open my own pharmacy! ... I'm back on the piriton every 6 hours for 10 days - these made me totally zonked out last time.  On top of this however, I'm now also taking cyclizine every 8 hours for 10 days which is also making me sleepy.  I feel in a complete haze - it's like moving through treacle.  I am hoping that I will adapt to taking these two anti-histamines and will liven up, or just learn to live with the haze for the first 10 days.  If this "pre-loading" of meds gets me through the bone marrow injections without an allergic reaction it will be worth the hassle.
Hope everyone else had a good day? 
Best wishes to all,

hello ladies

had 1st chemo 23 Aug thought i was doing ok just some sickness and nauseau  on that night and queasy for a couple of days and was still taking ny anti sickness meds. day 6 today i feel a bit weird dont know how else to explain it am tired but trying to do as much as possible feel its not quite me ,very heavy feeling in my head . Havent taken anti sickness meds yesterday or today . Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Julie66 - clear bone scan - very good news.

Guest user
Not applicable

Sam - wonderful results on fundraising - excellent!

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning maisies, beautiful day today! Well not heard anything to say I can't have 2nd dunk this afternoon so bloods must nbe ok. Good luck to my fellow degrees today thinking of you all. Fingers crossed se's are manageable for all the ladies today, chins up girls we are strong and will beat this. Will check in later today to let you know 2nd dunk done and third of the way to end yipee! Love and hugs to all debs x x x

yes you are right it is slow to start with but then all of a sudden gets really good.

Christy thats so true about magazines and cancer stories its depressing and puts me on a downer all day if I read an article

Thanks tasha I really need to start reading I will download that, fed up of reading mags & " cancer" stories in them, depressing!

Morning Maisie's, hope all goes well today for our gang bk at the bar, hospital just phoned & booked me in to try again tomorrow so need some veins, can you get them on e bay?

looks a nice day here in Worcestershire today so I might be brave & take my dog out on my own but the question is "wiggy or baldy" ? Xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad you like it chez, it was a teeny bit slow to start but soon warms up. Anyone else looking for a good book, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. She's also written 2 other books that are worth a squizz whilst laid up with SEs xxx

Going to download Gone girl to my Kindle, as I have just finished another book on there. Rollercoaster what time are you up on the 9th? I am expecting  my first one on either the 9th or 11th as I am seeing Dr Matthews on Monday.

Guest user
Not applicable

The first cycle is the worst one, the others at least you have a better idea what to expect. I'm just so pleased I don't have to go to work or look after young children I have big respect for ladies managing to do that on chemo xx

Tasha101, a quarter done is a quarter done, be positive. You may be a spanner but you're a recovering spanner and you deserve big hugs for how well you're doing . Thats another thing you can cross off your list as done. My second fec is on 9th sept all being well, Bit anxious about the after effects after the first time, but am going to insist on the emend as that seems to be the key. Have a good day all, i'm venturing out and about, hurrah! Hugs to all xx

BTW Tash getting right into Gone Girl now its getting very exciting.  That Amy is a wrong un as us northereners say!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Roller coaster sadly I'm am only a quarter done, I'm having 4 FEC and 4 Tax. I copped 8 cycles as I am a spanner and had a 9cm tumour and 23/23 nodes affected xx

morning all

Good luck to the three degrees and bumpkin and sakura today

Christy brill what your girl has done and echo what sarah from the stars has said re insect bites etc on operation arm

Pas the boss can get Laimon freash from Tesco in bottles its near the squash and fizzy drinks but doesnt have nay rubbish in it.  No artificial sweeteners literally just water, sugar , lemon, lime and mint.

Morning to all my fellow hobnobs, hope those Dunkers from yesterday are feeling ok and good luck for those at the bar today. Christymay you stick to your guns about not having blood taken in your affected arm. The bottom line is that having the actual blood test will not cause lymphodeama but having any needle is an infection risk. If you were to get an infection this would increase your chance of lymphodeama . You are not being awkward, it is your body and you know best. The drs can always use your feet for bloods or cannula's , also blood pressure can be taken from your thighs.

Unfortunately pulling my picc line doesn't seem to have sorted out the chest pain but I'm hoping it will settle soon. I'm on the train to London again as I'm going to a cancer research patient involvement day. Seeing as I'm a research nurse thought I should show willing. Blocked the shower this morning with all my shedding must find those clippers when I get home, trying to hang off clipping until the weekend as we are off to a BBQ with friends. Hope all have a good day xxx

Hi nicola6 just popped over thevrence from stars to gather information and read your question. I had anc 5 weeks ago and have been told absolutely no blood pressure or needles on that arm - in fact the bcn has given me a braclet to wear stating that. Also been told to be very aware of cuts, scratches or bites - apparently you are suseptible to infection and they must be cleaned with antiseptic. O and one more gem lol no razor on the armpit electric ones only. Hope that helps x

Good luck to those at the bar today. Hope everyone else has minimal se's. Love Bev xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning Maisies , well I'm off for my 2nd cycle Fec today at 9.30am so am wishing deb, Annie ,Sakura and bumpkin good luck too , think we are all on at 2nd sorry if I've missed anyone , hope everyones Ses are minimal and manageable and everyone has a nice day 🙂 x

Morning Maisie's hope you are all doing ok and no one is suffering too much with the SEs! Good luck to all of those at the bar today, the degrees I think? I can't blame a chemo head for not remembering!!! Hope you all have a peaceful day Love Meg xx

Sorry i have to do all these replies separately as my brain isn't organised enough to remember all the posts at once, doing it like this i can look at the post I'm answering at the time. Chemo brain still alive and kicking! Hope all those at the bar today go well and ses are minimal, thinking of you all xxx

Glad you're finding things a bit better for 2nd cycle Tasha. Does that mean you're a third of the way now you've had 2 doses, are you having 6FEC? Lots seem to be having 3 FEC and 3T. Not good having a banging headache but it beats the vomiting. Hope you have a reasonable day, resting . Virtual hugs xxx

Morning all, a good nights sleep, yay. Totally understand how you feel whiterose, if this has to be done we want to get it over with. Well done for looking at the positive side of it. They must believe that time will sort it or they would have given you something with a needle! Sometimes think if i drink water I will resemble a watering can head. Like you, hope all the other ses are little ones, have a good day, enjoy your freedom doing whatever you can manage xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning ladies
FEC cycle 2 day 2
I'm pleased to report that my banging headache and nausea have subsided over night. I'm staying in bed, sleeping, taking maximum anti sickness meds for now but it seems to be doing the trick and I feel ok.
Good luck to all being dunked today, rest up and recover xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck to my fellow degrees for tomorrrow, we can do it girls. I hope everyones side effects ae small ones if you are suffering at the moment. Night night maisies catch you tomorrow and thank you for your good wishes it means alot love debs x x x 

Hi ladies - as you prob know my chemo didnt go ahead too low white cell count - so due nxt Thursday now.

Rollercoaster im going to ask if they can do anything to boost cells as i dont know if they will postpone again if still not right nxt wk. Fed up as i had mentally prepared for today but on the upside at least im going to have a week of feeling more like myself apart from tiredness - dont know if thats due to my blood count though.

Wishing minimal se's to my fellow dunkees today xxx

Good luck tomorrow all you Maisie's who are at the bar, thanks everybody for your support cuz I was in a right old panic til I got home, came on here & you calmed me , my oh do glad Ijoined this group too & thanks for kind words about my beautiful daughter, big hugs all round, I will try & sleep & hope you all do too xxx

Nicola6, I was told by the onc "I'm not interested in your left arm anymore i can't use it for anything and you must not let anyone else use it either". So no blood tests or blood pressures or anything. Poor right arm is gonna cop itball then. Ho hum xxx

Christymay you must so proud of your daughter she's a gem , hope everyone who was up today are all ok and good luck to all of you up tomorrow , sleep well ladies xxxxx Rose

Whiterose, sorry you've been delayed with your chemo, thats hard. Have they given you anything to improve your blood count?

Christymay, sorry you didnt get your scans over with today. I had CT scan first, they put a cannula straight in and left it in and walked me round to my bone scan, they put the isotope in the cannula and then took the cannula out, ready for the bone scan. Then I had to go away and drink gallons before the actual scan about an hour and a half later . Doctors are often not good at doing anything with needles, they don't get enough practice like the nurses do, but they all need reminding every time about not using the arm on the op side.
I suppose they see so many different scenarios every day they just don't remember, we have to be prepared to stand up for ourselves like you did, after all we would be the ones with lymphoedema not them.
Problems have solutions, you will get it sorted, keep positive, xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Maisies, hope you are all doing ok. Just hopped over from Stars to ask Chezzap where I can buy laimon fresh. Did leave a posting on Stars too but as they scroll down so quickly thought I'd leave one here as well. Thanks
Take care all and best wishes. x

Hi Sam. I have the tingling stabbing sensations from time to time in the boob where the wle took place. I was told its where its knitting together inside and the stitches are dissolving. I also got a feeling like sunburn sometimes on my arm, its worse in the evenings when you've had a top on all day with sleeves so i decided to ease things by sleeping topless, nothing to rub, it eased things quite a lot and now nearly 8 weeks on its really healed well. Don't know if all this helps or not, but I hope so. xx

so much conflicting information

See that's wat I said to the doc, they fetched him from a& e & he was quite irate wen I said no, but I stuck to it!

Christymay, that is a wonderful thing your daughter is doing Smiley Happy

I was told never to have BP or any bloods taken from my operation arm.  Not sure why some say it is ok, and others say no.  Very confusing, but I will certainly not be letting anyone do either on my op arm.

Thanks Nicola, I have always been told not to have blood or blood pressure taken on op arm, but doc said its ok so I unsure? xx

thanks for your lovely reply genevre, yes very scary don't like been out f control, my hair started coming out this morning too.

fantastic christymay you must be so proud of her what a darling

just reading previous text and can i ask concerning when you have your blood taken to check i know you cant have chemo in operation side or blood pressure, but should blood samples be taken in the other arm as well, as i have an enormous blood and bruise mark where it was taken out of my operation arm

So proud of my daughter she is having her hair cut into a bob & donating her hair to little girls with cancer, & doing it for sponsors to raise money for Macmillan, 1 proud momma I am xx