1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Susie01

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

Evening all, I am like you spikeyred and just enjoying my first glass of wine since my last chemo and making the most of my good week before more chemo next week! Had a lovely day, MacMillan coffee morning at my hairdressers and had my nails done while I was there as a treat and then saw my new grandson in the afternoon (one month old today). It is days like this you don't feel as if anything is wrong and then reality kicks in and like everyone else , you feel like you need a good rant! Hope everyone has a good weekend! Speak soon and all take care.
spikeyred

evening all, Chezza sending you a massive hug.  You are so not shallow for having a melt down about the clothes.  I really hope that you mnage to have some fun for your birthday but am sure it is not what was planned for the big 40.  Next celebrations will have to be enourmous and make up for it. Great news that the swelling in the arm has got better. Lynns glad your internet problems have been sorted very frustrating isnt it we get so used to having internet all the time.  I thankfully an in my good period and have had another day of meeting friends for lunch.  I really have beceom a lady that lunches this week!!.  Just opened a lovely bottle of wine first time I have felt like a drink since last chemo.  Wishing everyone a good evening and a relaxing weekend xxx

chezzap

thanks Gilly I know what you say makes sense but I have come to realise that all my self confidence was housed in my boobs as stupid as it sounds and now I feel Im not a woman anymore.  Ive tried to get used to it but find some days really hard.  I will be ok tomorrow it was just the clothes clear out that has triggered a feeling sorry for myself episode.

Thanks for support though ladies this is a hell of a journey thats for sure

lynsey44

Welcome to all the new maisies 🙂

Sorry ive not been on here much ive had internet problems but finally sorted and ive had 2 weeks of posts to get through!! Now im up to date i will try to get more involved!

Christymay have you had your hickman line fitted yet? i had mine fitted on the 13th Oct same day as my second dunking. its taken a while to get used to but its finally settled down now.

For the maisies having herceptin did you see the news about the injection form being approved for use on the NHS it will cut the time down to 5mins instead of having it in IV for 90mins. I know some people are on the trial for this but wondered if anyone had spoken to their ONC about it yet to see if they are able to have it in this form. i would much rather the injection if its abvailable to me.

Chezza i hope you are able to enjoy your birthday weekend but fully understand why you needed to vent its such a crap time for a birthday when we going through this i didnt celebrate my 32nd as had just been dx. Sending you a big hug xx

Hope you all have a relaxing weekend and those SE's are minimal.

Right im going to pop off now got my step kids round for tea and hoping to enjoy my weekend as my 3rd FEC dunking is due next Friday so got to make the most of feeling well while it lasts 🙂

Lyns xx

piggsytrotter

Susie01 and other Maisies. July Junkie here. I've just had first Tax or T and it was fine. But too early to tell about SEs. I was really posting about flu jab.

My onc is keen for me to have one as I'll be immunosupressed going into the start of the flu season. So I am going to take her advice. She said the best time to have it is just at the end of a cycle or the very beginning of next while my immunity is at it's highest. She said it's up to the GP's surgery to fit around me, not the other way around. So if you have to girls, be firm and explain why you can only have the jab in that small window. Hope that helps.

Have a good weekend all, and no SEs. That's an order lol. x

GillyR

Chezza, you have your whinge and cry, I have turned out a lot of clothes too. I was blessed with huge boobs so I did like to have cleavage showing, but those days are long gone now as you say, but hey ho. We are alive and that is what matter.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, look around you at the wonderful children and hubby that you have and the friends that are there to celebrate with you. Those are the things that matter from this day forward and I know that you know that really.

Big happy birthday hugs for you

xxxx

chezzap

wow congratas 39 years.  So when you got married I was about to have my first birthday spooky

Rollercoaster

Hi Chezz, , Been married 39 years tomorrow, how about you? Glad you like the clothes idea, go for it. xxxx
chezzap

tHanks Wendy.  How many years have you been married?

Good idea about the clothes swap

Rollercoaster

Chezzap, you vent as much as you like, we're all entitled to do just that and I know how you feel. Chemo is hard enough but there is so much else going on around here right now re the parents, gets harder and harder to think straight. However we we are toddling off for a couple of days for our anniversary before Monday, determined to try and chill a bit!

Good news re the lymphoedema for you, bet you are chuffed on that one. Was wondering if you could take your unusable clothes to M&s on their clothes swap scheme and get yourself some gorgeous replacements? Not the same I know but not a complete loss either. Remember there's nothing wrong with having a good cry either, it's all part of the venting love, let it go , it's better out than in.

Hope you have a good a weekend as you can before Monday, will be thinking of you and sending you lots of virtual hugs xxxx
chezzap

HI all

Ang hope you are better today

Spikey glad to hear you had good time last night and have nice things planned

Hi Susie welcome to the gang!

Roller hope you have something nice planned before Monday

Ive had a mixed morning.  Went to physio and was made up cos she took my measurements from my arms to check for lymphodema swelling and its gone down by 7% since last time so now under any threshold.  She says its amazing that during  chemo my body is still fighting and even without lymph nodes its draining so she was really pleased and said I dont need a compression sleeve.  Was happy at that.  Then went to a Macmillan coffee morning at local pub with Claire79 from the Maisies and had a lovely time.

Then it went downhill! Came home and decided I needed to sort my wardrobe out so got bin bags and ended up throwing away 2 bin bags full of clothes that I will never be able to wear again due to my mastectomy.  Cleavage flashing clothes and nice tops, all my bikini tops which were new few months ago.  Im sorry I know it sounds shallow but I just crumbled and yet again was hit by what s happening to me.  Then its like the floodgates open and I cant stop! 

Think its cos its my birthday weekend and this time last year I was thinking what to do for the big 40 and now its all gone to s**t.  Im going out with some friends for a meal but Im really not in the mood.  Do I wear a wig or a hat?  I just feel like Im going to be on show like some bloody exhibition and I havent seen some of them since started chemo and if I hear the "dont you look well" line I think I will smash some plates.  Well it is a Greek restaurant so I will get away with it!!!

Sorry to sound so whingy today maisies I just needed to vent my spleen!!!

spikeyred

FEC # 2, day 12. morning Maises, welcome to those that have joined us this week, you will find this group a huge support. Hope everyone is doing ok. I am now feeling good again, had a couple of days of horrible boney pain this week from the WBC booster jabs, think that is why I have been quite on here, I'm boring myself with not feeling well!! Really hoping now that I'm going to be good for the next 10days. Went to choir last night and had a fab time, my oh thought I was drunk when I came home but I was just so happy to be doing something normal. Taking some nieces and nephews to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tomorrow, can't wait. Pendragon hope you are feeling a bit better this morning. Sam good luck for the first dunking today. Wishing for minimal se for all xxx
Rollercoaster

Wish I could get my brain organised, meant to say goodnight and sleep well to all maisies. Seems our group is growing again, good to have all the support from so many although none of us really want to be on here . Hope those struggling have a better day tomorrow, Hugs to all, xxx
Rollercoaster

Pendragon, so sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. Sometimes it feels like there isn't a square inch of us they haven't looked at, scanned, stuck a needle in or done a test on. It is scary and daunting but we're still here plodding through all the rubbish. We will get there, just one day at a time. Try to think about how far you've already come through instead of all there is yet to come. I think we're all familiar with the wiped out feeling but it passes, just keep going one step at a time. Thinking of you and sending virtual hugs xxxx
Rollercoaster

FEC 2 Day 18

Hiya Susie01, good to find you on here, been looking out for you. Did you enjoy your therapy on Tuesday? Which one did you have? The reflexology was really good, made me feel almost drunk for a little while and then amazingly good. This week had therapeutic massage, not quite as good but feeling better this week so maybe had better effect than I thought. I asked about flu jab at the chemo unit and was told to have it ASAP after a dunking, hope that helps. Hope you have a good weekend, hope to see you Tuesday, hugs xxx
GillyR

Hi Susie, welcome to the Amazing Augusts, or Maisies for short, you are our second new one today, good to have you aboard. You will get lots of advice and support with us, we are all in the same boat.

We also have a facebook page if you want to come and join that too xxx

https://www.facebook.com/groups/165815423611027/

chezzap

I know Ang it must be really tough.  Tues will be here before you know it and am sure you will get good b=news .  Remember the low blood pressure Im sure will be that and all the added worry and stress of all of this.

Try and do something nice this weekend if possible although it will be on your mind all the time

sending postive vibes and best wishes xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi chezza ive had a bad few days huni, hope you are all ok on here, just not a good time for me atm, had to go for a brain scan today and its wiped me out. had dizzyness following my last chemo and so dr sent me for a mri that turned into a ct scan, so worried i really dont want to carry on xx

kep well ladies xx

chezzap

cheers Fran.   Steve , Pascaline and Romily coming up tomorrow for my birthday weekend so hoping am going to be on top form.  Hope your tiredness and general yuckiness soon passes xxx

Genevre

FEC 3, day 3

Roller, will pm soon re parents

Hello Maisies, just a quick catchup as feeling sick and tired still, but better than yesterday.

Welcome Wt66, hope you’re managing ses ok, it’s a real shock when you’re fit normally

And Nickililly, sorry you’re in such pain – thinking of you

Breezey, yes swollen face and often can’t stop eating – you're not alone

Hope you’re having a reviving time, Christy – you deserve it

Chezz, thanks for explanation. Hope you have an awesome w/e

Pendragon, Spikeyred, haven't heard for a while how are you both?

Love to all, and be gentle on yourselves.

chezzap

ha ha lol I know what I mean

where has everybody gone its very quiet on here????

Susie01

I am new to the web site but started my chemotherapy in August. First one was a nightmare and landed up in hospital a few times due to neutropenia ! Second session was a lot better, third one next week, so half way there. The one after that is then taxotere , which I have heard is not very nice! I have been trying to find out if I need a flu jab and if it is alright to have one part way through chemo, can anyone help?
Rollercoaster

Chezzap, only one thing to say to that. What? I just counted the Mondays from the 21st October, 12 of those lands you at 6th Jan, is that not right?
chezzap

yes Wendy thats what Id worked out too but even if I was having the three weekly the first one would be 21st oct  also so still dont get why an extra two weeks is added on.  I assume its cos the last of the 4 would have been 23rd Dec but Id still be feeling effects of it afterwards wheras with the weekly its a longer stretch cos its a full twelve weeks of treatment rather then nine weeks when  you have the 4 sessiosn every 3 weeks.  I think I get what I mean ha ha.

Rollercoaster

Chezzap, is the time lapse because after your last chemo on 30th you have to wait the 3 weeks to recover before you start tax. If it is your 1st tax will be 21st October and 12 Mondays after that will be 6th Jan think thats right if you check it on the calendar. xxx
chezzap

Hi Nickililly

Echo what the other ladies have said take any offers of therapy , massage etc if anything it gets you out the house for a bit and change of scenery.

Hope everyone ok today just come back from bloods and doc- bloods fine so dunking going ahead on Monday regardless of my cold.  Just been told to keep an eye on it.

I feel slightly cheated as originally Id worked out with 8 cycles my last chemo would be 23rd Dec.  However for the tax as Im having it weekly now rather than every 3 weeks over twelve sessions for some reason it finishes 6th Jan.  I still cant work out why 4 sessions every 3 weeks is not the same length of time as 12 sessions every week???  Am I being incredibly dense????

Coco0896

Welcome to the group Nikki and sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with pain! and as Rollercoaster says hopefully you can get some therapies to help with that! no one should ever be in pain! you have enough to put up with! without that. Take care of yourself love Meg x
Rollercoaster

Just a thought Nikkililly, have you tried any complimentary therapy? I don't know where you are but most places offer it free to cancer patients, your chemo unit may know where you can go for it. I was very skeptical about it at first but it does help you feel better, maybe worth a try, it may even help with your pain. xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thankyou 🙂
They couldn't do a lumpectomy as it was too large and my onc wanted me to start chemo before doing the mastectomy. He is hoping that it may shrink enough to do a lumpectomy rather than the mastectomy. The pain apparently according to my consultant is because the tumour has attached itself to nerves :-S so the hope is it shrinks and releases itself. It's just a waiting game really. But that seems to be all you do with this lol x x c
Rollercoaster

FEC 2 Day 18

Hi nikkililly, you have indeed come to just the right place to get support and encouragement. It is a bit quiet this week as some of our girls are away on a break but a few of us are still here. I had wle and snb in July and started chemo in August and I get my 3rd dunking on Monday 30th sept all being well with the bloods. It must be miserable still having pain, thats one thing I haven't had but did you have lumpectomy or mastectomy? Maybe thats the difference but good idea to get it checked out anyway. Most of us seem to have up days and down days, but they do pass. If you can manage it somehow a change of scenery for a little while can help lift your spirits, if you're not up to going out a chat on the phone with someone can help. It does help just knowing you're not alone with all this yucky stuff going on and we're all entitled to ramble, cry, scream, talk, cheer, commiserate or whatever else we feel like anytime. Thinking of you and sending mega hugs xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Just found this. I started my chemo in august I'm waiting for my third cycle nxt Wednesday. I found the second cycle really draining on me.
I have amazing pain still in my left breast ( had this from the start) mentioned it again to my onc yesterday so he is sending me for another MRI before he sees me nxt Wednesday. Can honestly say its a down side at the moment as I can seem to pick my spirits up 😞
Happy I have found somewhere where people are actually going through it aswell and not just me.
Sorry to ramble

Nikki x
Rollercoaster

Hi girls, it really does seem quiet on here this week with all these people gallivanting away, how very dare they! Only joking, hope they're all enjoying their break. Hope you all have a good night and feel better soon, nite nite maisies xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi chezz no sticking to the old Fec throughout so another 3 to go ,steroids seem to have swollen my face or could it be that I'm eating non stop but I am beginning to represent a budha lol , Rub me for luck 😉 xx
chezzap

hey Dee welcome back to humanity ha ha

was just about to say to you about whitechapel and you beat me to it!!!!

Hope you keep getting better now you have turned the corner!  Are you changing cocktail next cycle??

Meg thanks for letting us know about Ju.  Its quiet on here without her but glad she is having a break from it all. 

Hope everyone is well and battling through

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Maisies 🙂 fec 3 day 7 , I am finally starting to feel better today , it's been the worse cycle yet I'm afraid even though they changed my Meds yet again I've still been very nauseus and the tiredness has been overwhelming but managed to get up today and potter around today so feel human again , have been reading posts but just really haven't had the energy to write anything sorry , happy anniversary to christymay hope your having a nice break , hope chezz is feeling better for your big celebration at the weekend hunni , I'm all set for whitechapel if I'm brave enough followed by wentworth if I'm still awake , love to all those who are having a crap time at the min and hope deb is doing ok and can have her chemo this week , hugs to Gillyr. Too who always checks on me on fb or however she can xxxx
Coco0896

Evening Maisie s hope you are all ok. Welcome Wt 66 hope you find lots of support on here. Genevre so glad to here you are back from the bar and you are ok, was thinking about you and hoped you were ok. Just to let you know although Ju/Lols, is not on here this week as being away on her hols, she is doing just fine and enjoying the break from BC, she is walking lots and enjoying the lovely weather which is good in Wales currently. Have a good evening. Maisie's and hope you are all ok. Love Meg xx
Rollercoaster

Hi Genevre, have pm'd you xxxx
Rollercoaster

FEC 2 Day 17

Hi wt 66, It sounds like our regime is quite similar, the lumpectomy and 2 nodes, both clear, then FEC x6 then rads then herceptin for 1 yr. It seems many don't get their blood results given to them from what I'm reading on here, seems a bit of a postcode lottery which is not good. I was given a red book to carry and all the figures get written in there for all to see which is good coz anytime you're away from home and something goes wrong and you have to visit a hospital, they know the score and you can relax a bit knowing you don't have to remember everything.

I'm a bit curious to know what energy boosting foods you've found so far. I hardly ate anything for the first week of this cycle so right now I'm just eating whatever I fancy to get back the weight I lost before next Monday, the next dunking. Well talking if food, OH has just brought me lunch so will eat now and talk later. Hugs to you and all the other maisies xxxx
chezzap

Hi WT66 welcome aboard

Genevre I think wbc means white blood count per se and there are 4 components that make up your white blood count and neutrophils are just one of them but they are the ones that fight infection so if they are low they wont give you the chemo.  Think thats right.

Well Im still full of a cold and praying will get better forn the weekend for the birthday and the Monday for the chemo.  Having bloods done tomorrow so will see what they come out as and take it from there.

Hope you feeling better Dee remember its Whitechapel tonight!!!

Genevre

Hi Rollersoaster, have pmd you

Lucy_BCC

Hi wt66, welcome to the BCC forums
In addition to the support here please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns or queries as they can offer you practical and emotional support, the number to call is 0808 800 6000. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

You may find the following link to the BCC 'Treatments' pages helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campa...

Take care
Lucy BCC

wt66

thanks for the welcome Rollercoaster; I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal in July and started FEC/T in August. Its only 6 hits which compared to some people is not much really.I don't seem to get any feedback re the blood tests I have - don't know if this is normal. I just seem to have to turn up every 3 weeks.

I've never really been ill and from being active to having to go back to bed after a shower has been a rude awakening. I have been reading up on energy boosting foods so re-writing the weekly shopping list for hubby at the moment lol.

Rollercoaster

Hi Genevre, glad you made it back from the bar ok and got your dunking done ok. Thanks for your support re the parents. My bro has been dealing with ss and docs and care team all day today trying to get something moving for them. It's like a minefield trying to get thru it all, you seem to get pushed from pillar to post and back again trying to get someone to actually make a move! I'm sure it's all going to get quite messy before it gets better, sad to say. Wish someone had a magic wand to wave and make it all go away, its horrible to watch. Anyway, hope you get some sleep tonight, bet it feels good to be half way doesn't it? Mine is on 30th sept at 12:30 subject to bloods being ok. Hugs to all, sleep well xxxx
Genevre

FEC 3, Day1

Good evening girls!

Back from the bar by 1.30, bit of delay because onc said my wbc and neutro (can anyone explain the difference? -  I forgot to ask) were a bit low, but blood was retested and had gone up a little so treatment went ahead, thank goodness! Feeling ok, just weird, heavy and cold. Know I won't sleep at all tonight if last 2 anything to go by, so lots of tea, snacks and a good read! Thanks for thinking of me and all the supportive messages. 
Who else is being dunked this week/next week?  Let us know so we can look out for you (although I might be out of it for just a few days....)

Roller, glad you're having a good day. Pleased things are happening wth your parents. It was only when my parents hit crisis point and I coudn't cope thar SS took quick action.  My YD is a socialworker with the adult complex care team and works with people like your parents and their families all the time.  If you have any specific qus feel free to pm them and I'll ask her. Thanks for support re hair, I won't need to shave it, it's falling out without any help!!

WT 66, welcome, as Roller says you'll find lots of support here. Sometimes you won't feel like writing loads, but if you pm (private message) me I'll  give you my mob. number so you can text your news.

Annie, sorry you're not getting the support you need. I got it wrong, your tax is next time, so hope things continue manageable for the moment.

Christy, thanks for lovely text.  Enjoy your break, relax, be pampered and happy anniversary!

Breezey, rest as much as you can, and hope you feel better soon.

Coco, thanks for your message.  How are you feeling?

Chezz, thanks for thinking of me, sorry about the cold - that's the last straw!

Goodnight Maisies, big hugs, Fran xxx

GillyR

Dont forget we also have our closed facebook group for chat and support

https://www.facebook.com/groups/165815423611027/

Rollercoaster

FEC 2 Day 16

Wt66, welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here but glad you found us. we all started chemo treatment in August so we're called amazing Augusts or maisies for short, hope you like that. We all get good support on here and like you said we understand how each other feels going through this horrible experience. So sorry to hear you're struggling with the tiredness thing, it seems quite common but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with does it? What is your regime, as in how many treatments and what kind etc if you don't mind me asking.

Sometimes the forum is livelier than others but someone will always respond to you, don't be shy about asking anything, someone will know the answer. Hugs to you as you join us xxx
Rollercoaster

A portacath is a small device that can be installed with a local anaesthetic into the chest so that all treatments can be put in it and blood tests taken out thru it. To my thinking its easier because its entirely inside the body so nothing outside to get infected or be difficult in the shower etc. you can google it for more info and pictures
Coco0896

Happy Anniversary Christymay hope you have a lovely time away and so sorry to hear that you are feeling so rough breezy hope you are soon feeling better. Hope all the rest of you Maisie's are ok too love Meg x
chezzap

get better soon Dee.

Annie62

And to add - so sorry Dee isn't feeling too good, we're at the same stage I think...Smiley Sad