358477posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Highlighted

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

Thank you all for wishing me luck for my ct scan, had it today, went fine apart from they could not find a vein to put my cannula in, so had to get a doctor who managed to do it in the end! Chezzap, hope your rads planning go well, tattoos don't hurt, so try not to worry! Rainbowrosie, the pixie bags are a lovely idea, will look into getting some. Beatrice13, it must be horrible for you having your radiotherapy cancelled all the time, really frustrating! Lols, our dog jumps on the bed with muddy paws if you don't watch her, but she has just had a big op, so she is being spoilt to death at the moment!
Getting quite sore after rads, but keep slapping on the cream, so fingers crossed I don't get any blisters!
Hope everyone has a good week, take care xx.
Highlighted

well doen Ju all done with just remember to keep slapping on the diprobase as redness can peak 2 weeks after rads finish x

Chris good luck with scan

Rosie hope the counselling goes well and you are able to start moving forward.  Yes one of my friends got me a pixie bag theya re very cute arent they

Im off for my rads tatoos and scan tomorrow  ... crumbs getting nervous now.  Just at the idea of the tatoos such a wuss

Highlighted

Cheers Beatrice , must be a pain machine keeping being out of order, yes can't wait for this to be a distant memory for all of us.
Rosie I bought some of those bags when dx they are lovely I've given them all to people I'm close to and I've one hanging in the car x
Highlighted

P.s

Sorry Susie, forgot to wish you well with the scan tomorrow Smiley Happy

Fingers and toes crossed for you x

Highlighted

Well done Lols!

Bet the wine went down a treat Smiley Wink. Is that your treatment over with now? Time to start the recovery process and look forward. I'm still struggling if truth be known, but had a call today to say if I would like my counselling brought forward to this Thursday, so jumped at the chance. Seeing oncology nurses tomorrow re: rads follow up, will ask about fluid around mastectomy site and under the arm. For my redness and itch with rads, they gave me some jelly like patches to lay on the skin (they were kept in the fridge), for ten minutes. They really helped to cool it down and stopped the itch.

Maisies, just thought I'd share this, I purchased some little gifts for my small group of supporters who have been helping me through this tough time. They are called Pixie bags, inside them are tiny items with special meanings, which are described on the tag as follows:

A marble for those days when you lose yours.

A piece of string when you can no longer hold it together. 

A heart to remind you that somebody loves you. 

A teddy bear so you can always get a hug. 

A coin so you'll never be broke. 

An eraser so you can start your day over.

A four leaf clover to wish you all the luck in the world. 

They come in a lovely little organza bag, are in different colours and all proceeds go to Cancer Research. Everyone I've given them to so far has loved them. I found the link on one of the forums and it's a fellow lady on the forum who makes them.

Anyway girls hope you're all fine and recovering well. 

Rosie x

Highlighted

Lols - glad you've reached the end of rads. Mine cancelled again Friday, today and tomorrow due to broken machine - very frustrating. 

Take one day at a time now and this will soon be a distant memory (nightmare)!!

Highlighted

Afternoon Maisie's, rads now done!!!! Bit sore and red but ok , personally still a piece of cake compared to chemo!!! Went for a celebratory meal and wine or 2!!!! Home now and tired.
Rosie I've a bit of swelling to I don't really notice it but they told me in rads today as put measurements out slightly. She said could get worse for 7 to 10 days but should then settle.
Scary times girls as more of us are getting to the finish line but good as well. Glad we are all in this together .
Just got in and my gorgeous collie dog has managed to get into my bedroom and sleep on the bed( brother just walked her) its like that advert that was on tv, so muddy!!! Perhaps she's celebrating too.
Good luck with ct scan susie, so hard to move on when this thing haunts us x
Everyone still having or got to have rads good luck, remember moisturise, moisturise.
Hi gilly saw your message hope I'm still able to party x
Have a good afternoon Maisie's x
Highlighted

Hi Chezza,

The ecg went okay and would certainly recommend a weekend appt it was very quiet. The nurse was really nice but male and asked my husband to wait outside. He normally comes in with me for these things and I felt a bit wary. I asked the nurse at the end if it was okay and he said he had to take some measurements, then send it to the doctor. Hopefully everything will be fine. 

Hope you're having a lovely weekend, although the weather could be better here! 

Rosie xxx

Highlighted

well done Wendy for finishing the rads xxxx  As the ladies have said the effects peak 2 weeks after so make sure you carry on slapping on the cream.

Rainbow how did the ecg go???

Highlighted

Well done Susie! You're right about the rads, mine got a bit more sore and red post treatment. However, I go for my check up next Tuesday and I too have been having pain in the rib area. It's only on my mastectomy side but it's very hard to get comfortable in bed as it tends to be more painful when I lie on it. You're best to get it checked, just to rule anything out and put your mind at rest. I also have a lot of swelling under my armpit and around my back along the scar, it constantly feels like I have something tucked under my arm. Have read that the rads may cause this, am going to ask the nurses for advice. 

Anyway, enough of my woes, enjoy your weekend. 

Rainbowrosie x

Highlighted

Morning Maisie's, just thought I would report in now rads all completed! Well done Rollercoaster, lucky you, no sore bits! I am a bit sore in the lymph node area, but not too bad, they did say though that it will still work for 2 weeks and you may still blister, so will have to watch out! Looking forward to the weekend in Coventry, it will be great to meet up with lots of you!
Rainbowrosie, hope all goes well with your echogram, as you say, surprised it's a Saturday!
Chezza, hope you are still enjoying your weekend away!
Lots, as you say, I think we all have meltdowns and they do come at the most unexpected times but I think they do us good!
Anyway hope all Maisie's have a good weekend, Rollercoaster have a relaxing week and see you in February.
I have a CT scan on Tuesday to check out pain I am having in my ribs and also silly cough, so fingers crossed all will be well.
All take care xx.
Highlighted

Ju and Fran, I'm just jumping on to say that the hotel is all booked for May. All I can say is watch out Coventry the Maisies are in town...woohoo xx

Highlighted

Well done Rollercoaster!

No more travelling back and forth, it makes a lot of difference when you don't have to do it anymore. What a wonderful treat your daughter has given you, it'll be lovely to see some beautiful countryside and a chance to relax. Heaven! 

I'm off to have an echogram tomorrow as they need to check for any problems since I started my Herceptin. I had my last one in August and they should be done every 3 months. Didn't know they did these things on Saturdays. Hey ho!

Big hugs

Rosie xxx

Highlighted

RADS - DONE AT LAST!

All finished today thank goodness, another hurdle conquered. Skin is amazingly good, not even pink so creaming has done me proud and will continue for a week or two to make sure it stays good. Sorry I missed the wine drinking celebrations, have to agree, well done everybody. It seems a long time since August and the frightened rabbit days now and we all did so well. I've been rewarded by my darling daughter with a week away in the Cotswolds, lots of chilling out to be done. Well done Susie, you should complete today as well, hope to see you at therapy in Feb. Take care all and hugs to all xxxxx
Highlighted

me too second glass here we come.  Let the wine see the glass! x

Highlighted

And you're one special lady for getting it out there! Special cheers and hugs to you! Oops! Empty glass, better try another oneSmiley Very Happy x

Highlighted

well said Rose you are so right they often get neglected and face the brunt of our anger and frustration.  That was so nice then knowing that at least 40 women were all raising a glass at same time.  very emotional x

Highlighted

Cheers to everyone! Hubby just gave me a glass of fizzy stuff, hic? Cheers to all our partners and friends too,it's been tough for them and are sometimes forgotten. 

Love and best wishes for our future Smiley Happy

Rosie x

Highlighted

Cheers all Maisies we have kicked this part of the journey's ass heres to us!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Highlighted

Cheers meg and proud of you to, can't be easy Hun but your a star x
Cheers all Maisie's upward and onward xx
Highlighted

I just want to say to all of the Maisie's I am so proud of you all for going through all the gruelling treatment you have gone through and I am so pleased you have all come out the other side. I am immensely proud of you all, well done xxx
Highlighted

Fab idea to mark the occasion - mine's a G&T! Well done to all of us -  and we're certainly allowed melt-downs - what a marathon it's been, but together we've been brilliant.

Cheers Maisies! xxx

Highlighted

Il be there girls, mines a large red wine!!!!
Hair, what's that? I can't wait for hair I seem to be the only one without any in rads department !!
Rosie with you on meltdowns had one in GPS yesterday and one at home everyday!!!! Virtual hug to you .
Well done Karen xx
Highlighted

You're such a riot Chezza Smiley Very Happy Thanks for making my day x

Highlighted

Fantastic Rosie.   Know what you mean.  I seem to have lost more lashes and eyebrows since chemo finshed yet everywhere else its growing like a forest!  Head looks a bit funny got a bit of a mohican going on in that its growing high on top but sides not caught up yet I look like the leader of the Gremlins Stripe!

take care and will post on tonight juat after Ive had my wine at 8 oclock

xxx

Highlighted

P.s

Well done Karen, hope all goes well Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi Chezza,

I think that's a superb idea! I'll certainly be honoured to take part in such an important step. I had a total meltdown last night, still suffering with side effects, body image and regrowth of hair, brows and lashes. So to read about your small act of kindness made me feel that I'm not alone out there. 

Thanks

Rosie x

Highlighted

Today is a significant day in that our final Maisie Karen will finish her chemo.  It would be nice if as many as of us as possible can have a kind of virtual toast to mark the occasion. 

Im personally going for red wine but doesnt matter if its juice, tea , coffee etc its the unity of the act that counts.  If anyone interested in joining me to raise a virtual glass and close this chapter of the journey on the dreaded chemo I will be doing it at 8pm this evening!!!

Better get back to work now oops

Highlighted

Am sorry to read that some of you seemed to have missed the messages about the do in May, it was definitely posted on here, and Chezza was responsible for keeping everyone informed, it is upsetting to think that people are upset with her for this a great deal of people do not go on FB but still knew about it, Annie there is still time to book on if you would like too! Thanks Chezza and Gilly for organising the get together, it will be lovely to see you all there. Xxx
Highlighted

I meant hello, not hell...!!!!

Fran xxx

Highlighted

Hell everyone, sorry I haven't been on for such an age. really looking forward to meeting up with a few of you in May.

Annie, I'm not in fb group, but did get message - I don't know if you'll read this but it would be great if you did come, and anyone else. Chezzap and Gilly have been organising it - thanks to both.

I'm so lucky my treatment is over.  It's a week and a half since rads ended and already the area is feeling much better. I'm sorry many of you are still ploughing through.

I'm also preoccupied with my hair regrowth - it's all covered now but pathetically short.  I can't wait fot it to grow long enough to have it dyed again - can't stand growing back grey!

I'm seeing the onc. tomorrow - I assume for routine post- treatment check up.  I hoped I might be getting a scan - how else can I be sure everything's ok? - but no sign of that.

I'll check on here every few days to make sure everyone's  all right - I haven't got much news at the moment - just trying, and failing to get fit - the weather's so horrible, at least that's my excuse!

Love to all and thanks for your amazing support.

Fran xxx

Highlighted

Annie I also posted a second time to ask for confirmation of who was going and who was not.  Its nothing to do with if you are FB or not as is apparent as three of the ladies on the forum who do not use FB and just the forum managed to confirm they were going.  Also others posted to thank me for organising and to confirm they could not make it.

Sorry you feel that way.  I have tried to keep everyone informed as soon as I have known anything.  The hotel isnt booked yet but we want to book it as soon as possible so we can still get somewhere that will accomodate that many rooms.

Highlighted

I didn't see that message, chezza, but if the hotel's already being booked...

Obviously those of us who don't use FB have lost out somehow.  I don't think I'll be posting any on here any more, but I wish all of you well.

Highlighted

Hello Chezzap, 

Good to know you're happy and settling into the chaos of some needed normality! Make sure you still take time to look after yourself and rest when you need to, but good luck to you girlSmiley Happy .

Hi Lols,

How did you get on with the GP? Did you manage to get an appointment? Have you finished your rads now.

Rosie x

Highlighted

I dont do t internet banking though so might be easier if you just send me a cheque for £59 if thats ok.  You got my address still havent you?

cheers for advice re skin on the rads.  Im having 15 so hoping skin will hold up

Highlighted

Hi chezz, no probs with bank details .
So far with me rads piece of cake, see your gp and get diprobase prescribed I use it morn and night and slap e45 on straight after rads .
Looking forward to meet up hope I've got hair by then don't want to be only one in hat !!!!!!
Well done with going back to work so soon it must be chaotic with 2 children too x
Hope everyone's ok, have a good evening Maisie's xx your right chezz August seems a longtime ago xx
Highlighted

I said it was Midlands in my original message prob Coventry or that area.  That is still as it stands

Highlighted

Well, I probably couldn't have made it anyway, but it would have been nice to have known where the meeting-up was to be!

Good to hear from you Chezza, I'm going back to work a week on Monday and I can't wait - fed up at home and OH and I are getting on each other's nerves...Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted

Hiya Ladies

Sorry been awol going back to work day after chemo finished and am snowed under already.  In a way though am really enjoying it it gives me a touch of normaility and means dont have to sit and think of cancer all day every day.  Herceptin going ok.  Had port out last week hurrah.  Got my rads planning next week with a view to starting them on 6th Feb

Hope everyone is doing well we seem to have come such a long way. since Auguest it seems a lifetime ago now doesnt it?

Meg/ Ju/ Fran  - Gilly is booking hotel so I said Id put our money upfront if I give you my bank details.  You can send me a cheque or whatever is easiest for you.  Meg it may be easier for you to liase with Gilly directly as you are in that neck of  the woods and you pop on FB too but I dont mind whatever is easiest for you. 

Highlighted

I've been using Grow Gorgeous serum on my fuzz (available from Boots, £29.99 but used my points) for a few days - will let you know how I get on!

Highlighted

Evening Girls

Just having a quick visit to forum before my early night... I'm only going in tomoz for Team meeting then a few hours on Duty desk.....  OH just in kitchen doing packed lunch's (just like first day at school). 

Chemo brain definitely does lift but just like the tax toes it takes time.  As you say Lols from diagnosis it is just one treatment after another and i know we are all very grateful for that.  I finished Chemo Feb 2013, then 3 lots surgery then rads August 2013.  It really has taken Sept til now for me to be ready to go back to work....taking good physical care and practicing Mindfulness.........

FAST is a shampoo and conditioner --- Fortified Amino Scalp Treatment available from a large high street chemist, hair grows about 1cm a month and great condition with it, just bought a new set today £29.99..... i think it's worth it but i do hide it away.....just in case anybody uses it by mistake. (I have to be aware that i am Menopausal and can feel a tendency towards violence.   Mental Health Nurse beats Husband for using her Shampoo -  won't look good on my C.V.)

Girls you take some time for yourselves to really get better and hope the Rads are going OK for those of you having them at the moment.

Take Care  Gilly x

Highlighted

Cheers meg, just tried to phone gp but got answer phone. Il try tomorrow. Hope your ok, ps they will be so cute , yellow or black!!! X
Highlighted

I thought what you wrote Gilly was great and so true! I am a mental Health Nurse and I have been saying to Lols the same thing in terms of returning to work, it is I appreciate difficult to get a balance between needing to work for whatever reason and wanting too. I so hope you have a positive response from your GP Lols and make the right descision for you!! Hope all the Maisie's are ok. Chezza hope you are ok too haven't seen much of you for a while Take Care one and all xxx
Highlighted

Hi gilly, thanks for reply and support. I think I'm getting myself into a panic because of one person . I havnt spoke to gp yet will phone tomorrow as sick note due. To be honest I think this is all only hitting me now, I've been in a kind if denial perhaps because its just one thing after another from dx.
Completely agree though that we have a massive responsibility for other people's well being as a nurse and how can we do that efficiently if we arnt feeling right ourselves. Trouble with nursing is once your in a uniform that's it the patients don't know your not 100%. Plus at times we have neutropenia patients on the ward I really don't want to nurse cancer patients right now.physically my feet are numb too and bleeding under nails, last chemo was 7 weeks ago and I'm still breathless aching and tired and I want some hair before I hit the ward.
Chemo brain !!! Haha, does that ever go I struggle to remember anything at times.
Even if they could give me light duties or different role ( already been told they can't) I'd want hair before I did this.
What's FAST? Ad does it help with hair growth?
Thanks again for your reply it does help to know other people understand your worries ( unfortunately it appears you have to have been there to understand with this). I hope your phrased return goes well and all the best for your reconstruction x ju
Highlighted

Duplicated posting so deleted.....

Highlighted

Evening Ju

Just visiting your thread and noticed your post re. going back to work.   I too am a Nurse but within a Community Mental Health Team.  I am starting back to work on Tuesday this week. The NHS always supports a phased return so for 3 weeks i will do 2 days i.e. Tuesday /Thursday then 3 days for a few weeks then back to full time but i have lots of holidays so will likely aim for 3 working days and 2 holiday days per week for quite a few months.

I have however been off work since April 2013.  I was diagnosed in October 2012 and had Neo Adjuvant Chemo November 2012 - Feb 2013.  My manager was lovely and from December 2012 til April 2013 i was office based doing a duty role, MH Tribunal work etc as Occupational Health said i couldn't be client facing due to the risk of infection.....this worked well and the plan is for me to do a similar role until after i have had my reconstruction April / May this year.......It is not appropriate to carry a caseload / start counseling / develop therapeutic relationships when i have to go off for further surgery.   I could stay off until after reconstruction as DWP are paying some money and i would continue to get half salary....

I had 3 x surgery (April May June) then Rads throughout August ;ast year and my GP talked in September / October about it 'being better to get back to work and to normality'.  I didn't feel this was appropriate in my role for lots of reasons which included my own physical appearance (I washed my hair every day with FAST and straightened it to improve the white pan scrub look........God i am optimistic))  Also the responsibility we have as Nurses for other peoples wellbeing....... (big part of our job me thinks)  That Chemo seriously zapped my brain,  some days i was like an old lady with dementia and the GP thought it was a good idea for me to administer Psycho Tropic / mind / mood altering medication to people.  Physically i couldn't have done it, i am still struggling to feel my feet.  I only know they are there because of the pain in the mornings.....

I have taken a really good recuperation period and now feel confident to go back to work just for a few days.......  I know from the Forum that lots of people have to go back to work for financial reasons or their own sanity but you must take all the time you need and go back to work when you are ready and not when somebody who is not in your shoes thinks you should be going......   

Take Care  Gilly x  

Highlighted

Hello Rosie,

I don't normally write to peeps who started chemo in August altho I too did start my treatment then and like you finished chemo on 4th December. Just wanted to agree that my eyebrows seem to be getting thinner despite being nearly 7 weeks since last chemo and eyelashes nearly gone plus my nails are all dropping/peeling off !! Also got the perpertual eye watering so when I attempt to try and look half decent by putting eye makeup on I then wipe it all off!!! Oh it is so hard at times when you are just trying to get back to being/looking normal whatever that is now

LittleLily x

Highlighted

Cheers Rosie, it's just getting to me because I've stayed strong through chemo thinking it would get better by now.
Your right it's the feeling of losing all your feminity and I hate it when people stare. Not that I'd wish it on anyone but I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way, hope everything grows back soon for both of us!!! X
Highlighted

Oh Lols,

Thought it was just me! After my last chemo on the 4th December, I thought it's all done now. However, first week of January I lost my eyebrows, then last weekend I lost my eyelashes too! When will it end. All day I'm wiping my eyes because they don't stop watering. Feel like every bit of my feminity is being invaded by this flipping disease and it's poisons that were used to kill it! I get even stranger looks when I'm out and about now. Oh well, let's hope that's it, I don't know if I can keep my sanity any longer! 

Good luck with the GP on 21st

Rosie xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Beatrice and hope your ok x