69229members
363458posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone starting chemo in August?

Re: anyone starting chemo in August?

Just had a thought - no one mentioned a PICC line to me at my meeting with Onc and nursing staff. Never thought to ask...

thanks think they gonna have to strap me down on Mon!
Sorry was just having a moment I will be cracking more jokes later as is my style like Chandler Bing to mask the quivering wreck that I really am!!!!

Thank Hun, just havin bad couple of hours I think. X

Hi Lols, sorry to hear you are feeling down, and that you are having a torrid time I know re your wound, please try to keep your chin up you know we are all here for you. will message you x

Hi chez zap, ditto with all your feelings especially that wake up in morn one. My wound leaking at mo getting it aspirated again onTuesday, havnt moaned once since ops but have moaned today think OH bit sick of me tonight!!!! Good luck with chemo to be honest if rather be getting on with it. Hope small or no se's for you.. Upwards on onwards Hun we can do this xx

here here lols couldnt agree more
am getting really nervous now about my first chemo on Monday.
Im the first of my friends to have this and its completely floored me as I normally dont even get colds. As supportive and lovely as my mates are they cant even begin to imagine what its like and why should we have to in our bloody thirties!
Every morning as soon as I wake from yet another crap night sleep owing to surgery I have to look own at my body and see once again the reality of what am facing. I just want to scream and throw things and ask God why me why now???
Sorry feeling down with the train crash in Santiago de Compostela and the reality that 80 families have been torn apart in the blink of an eye.
Even cried at Emmerdale that swine Cameron!!!

Hi girls, just feeling bit down tonight and once again you've all helped. Your positive vibes keep me going, thanks all of you. So far the only good thing from this bc dx is the lovely people you meet on your way xx

Good evening ladies, I have to say I like Tasha101's approach to have hair cut in advance I think after my appointment next Thursday and once I know my Chemo start date, I feel like doing the same, I really dont want to wait until my hair comes out in clumps. I cannot believe how many of us are going to be in Amzing August. Just want to also say thanks so much to all the other lovely ladies who have posted support a few months on from their journey, its so nice to get support and advice from others who are a little ahead of us so thanks to you all x

Girls the reason we are scared is because we are on a roller coaster and it feels like we've lost control. I've found that every time I get thrown a curve ball I need some time to catch it, decide how to return it then chuck it back.
first i got told I had cancer, then I had major surgery, then all my lymph system was affected, then I had to face chemo/hair loss/SEs etc etc. Take each hurdle one at a time and jump it when you're ready. We've all got the strength to do it and we'll all help each other. If we need a moment to gather our thoughts, have a cry or whatever we can take it. This won't beat us.
xxx

Tasha – It’s good to have some choice, some control. Bravo to you for your hair cut. All power to your elbow!
Samjs – . It is fear of the unknown that is so unsettling. I felt much better once I knew the nature of my chemo plan, hope you do too?

WEll ladies,
An amazing August will be, aleit at the end. Results, clear margins finally, chemo, rads to boob and armpit followed by Tamoxifen. All I can say tonight is at least I have a plan.

xx

Like your style Tash! Go girl! x

PS Yes, well done, Tash - I know what you mean about the random hairdresser. I'm going to do the same!

Hi everyone,

Like you, deb, I had my onc appt today and have signed up for 3xFEC and 3xT. I start on 8th August. Not made my mind up about radiotherapy yet, as have had problems with my shoulder since ANC and don't want to make things worse. Will be on hormone tablets for 5 years as well.

The best news was that because I have problems swallowing tablets they are happy to supply a liquid alternative to ALL the meds I'll have to take - such a relief as it had been worrying me. It's the little things that really help!

Still got to sort out wiggery - lady only there one day a week and don't know whether better to get fitted before (with hair, which could be a problem) or later (when lack of hair might be causing me to have a major meltdown...)

Good luck all ladies waiting for start dates/results.

Annie x

Hi tasha, that's very brave of you , I had a meltdown just having it cut above shoulders. Well done for taking bull by horns so to speak xx

Hey ladies,
woke up this morning fed up of facing washing and straightening my long blonde hair, just wanted rid of it now I know I'm going Kojak in a few weeks anyway. Went to a random hairdresser because my hairdresser is a friend and I want this chapter of my life to be separate from my real life, if you get my drift?
Anyway, after being asked about 100 times "are you sure??"" and saying "YES I'm sure, cut it off!!!" I've got a pixie cut with a number 2 shave at the back and sides. I actually don't hate it, it's funky, my friends love it and I feel so much better for taking control and doing it when I was ready. Now no one will notice when it falls out.
lets take up the reins ladies and win every battle in this war
xxx

Hi had my app today with onc and starting chemo at beginning of aug (date tbc this week) 3×ec 3xtax with herceptin fir 12 months then radiotherapy. A bumpy ride ahead but I feel better after speaking with onc today that I shouldnt be constantly sick throughout chemo! Amazing Augusts sounds just right and really good to have a site to speak with everyone. I will let you know how I get on, after all we are all in this together, good luck ladies x x

Hi Amazing Augusts,
Like Linda, I'm a February Valentine. I'd like to wish you all the very best and can second Linda's statement that chemo isn't as bad as you would think. I never had any sickness or nausea, and the chemo nurses made the whole experience really enjoyable. My daughter took me for one of my cycles, and we turned it into a great day out together by visiting the Macmillan advice centre and the Maggies Centre.

Above all, try not to worry. After your first session, make a note of what side effects you might have and when in your cycle you had them. Tell your onco all and they will make sure they give you meds to counteract them next time. As for steroids, don't take them after 2 pm or you will be too hyper to sleep.
Poemsgalore xxx

Thanks for the encouragement, Linda! My appointment with the Onc not until 3.30 so more time to worry - at least then I'll know what regime I'll be on and can prepare.

Good luck for your results, Sam, fingers crossed!

Annie x

Hi Amazing Augusts!

Just popped over from the February Valentines to wish you all the luck in the world.

I say this from the bottom of my heart, chemo is nothing like as bad as you are all currently thinking! What you have right now is fear of the unknown.

It is all manageable if you are sensible, report side effects as they occur, ask for medications to help with side effects and ask for them to be changed if they aren't working, accept help from every source that offers, DRINK DRINK DRINK at least 2 litres of fluids of any kind a day to flush out those kidneys, eat little and often, eat exactly what you fancy, no fad diets, and at all costs AVOID GERMS, buy a reliable digital thermometer (ear ones are supposed to be best) and take your temps regularly to detect early signs of infections, listen to your bodies and do not be lulled into a false sense of well-being when you are having good days by over-doing things or you may suffer for it, rest and more rest.

Another little tip, it is best to wait until you know what your regime will be before buying things to help because each chemo drug is different with different side effects.

Good luck ladies! Linda xxx

Hi all hopefully i will also be starting chemo in August just waiting to have a heart ultra sound as long as that comes back ok will be receiving cocktail of chemo,herceptin and pejeta,feeling a little aprehensive.

Hoping to be an Amazing August lady. Just briefly read through posts as not in agreat place right now, results in just over an hour of second WLE. Diagnosed 18th April, confirmed 25th April and this journey seems to be taking forever. Praying for clear margins today. Not sure how I will cope if not.

SAm xx

Chezza I had a right MX and full node clearance a month ago. Surgeon said recon not an option until after rads because rads more effective without stuff in the way. I've pretty much decided against recon anyway, I've seen photos and they don't look too good, I don't want more surgery unless I'm guaranteed glamour model boobs!! I've adapted my wardrobe, I'm managing to still wear nice clothes just in a different way. Creative use of big scarves over maxi dresses, etc. I invested in some good MX bras and lightweight falsie from Nicola Jane I'm not waiting for my NHS prosthesis.
You'll have regular screening on the other boob now you're on their radar, and my medical team are checking mine every time they see me at the moment so try not to worry. Have a chat with your BCN about your concerns, they'll help you.
You're up on Monday aren't you? stay strong, we're all here to support you xxx

Good Morning Jacquie and “Maisie Daisies” (Amazing Augusts)
A list of August start daters is a good idea and will certainly help me keep my head around names and significant dates. Are you happy to compile the list Jacquie?
I am fitting in a week’s holiday before I start chemo. A boost before treatment continues.. So my chemo starts on 7th August, although my PICC line is being fitted the day before (anyone else opted for PICC line?).
Annie, chemo is so out of our range of normal experiences that anyone who says they aren’t scared/daunted/frightened of chemo must be fibbing. Take heart! Reading posts from other old hands all say that chemo horrible BUT doable. I find that reassuring.
Although I wouldn’t wish this upon anyone, at least everyone in the group will be able to relate to what is happening to us during chemo.
Right, back to the washing…
“Pennycrow”

Chezzap. I had right mx nd full clearance and wasnt offered recon, sugeon said it was higher risk of infection. I too was a bit paranoid, but now I just wat the other one off and dont want recon either. I have had such huge boobs all my life and they are a pain. I am only 45 but quite happy to be flat chested. I love my prosthetic one so will just have 2 and a much smaller size than I am now. It is so much more comfortable to ride my horses on the flat side, so that suits me fine...lol

Nice one Tash
Tash did you have a mx or wle??
There seems to be so much differnece in different areas. I had a mx but wasnt even offered immediate reconstruction. THen I get all paranoid thinking they havent offered it me cos they are thinking the worst!
Thought if you have radiation that buggered up any implants but reading lots from women who have implants/tissue expanders and are having chemo and rads too.
Am actually thinking at mo to ask them to take the remaining udder as am terrified will come back but dont know if that would limit my options for recon further down line??? Does anyone know?

Sorry prob should post this in another thread Ive gone off on a tangent!

hi all, I'm still waiting for onc appt. Jacquie is that a standard do you know up to 12 weeks from op to chemo? Just want to get on with it, plus the sooner it starts the sooner some of us can get back to work ( well those of us that can't be in our wok environment on chemo)..
Everything seems to take forever in South Wales .
well I'm growing a 3rd boob this morn , had 2 nd wle 11 days ago , had an aspiration Monday and due one next Tuesday, small leak this morn, lovely!!!!! The joys of bc!
Anyway hope I'm joining you all, seeing as we all have to do this soon.
have good days whatever your doing, all those with appts good luck xx

Hey Maisies!!
I've been with the lovely ladies in July Junkies but won't actually start until mid August so could I have dual team membership with both July and August? Like Chezza I'm also having 8 cycles so I'll be hanging around longer than most.
I'm the spanner that managed to have a 9cm tumour and 21/21 nodes affected...there's always one who has to go too far isn't there!!!
xxx

wow good morning girls! Had an evening with 2 of my good friends last night as one of them has just moved house, what a lovely surprise to find so many replies!

Right so we are up and running then with Amazing Augusts! Sadly there are quite a few of us already, I hope any of you that are waiting for a start date get sorted soon, I am as my sister said this week not good at waiting.......not a patien patient by any means. I think once you have a plan it is much easier to get your head round, with any luck we should all be through the bulk of our treatments by Christmas won't that be something to celebrate?

I noticed that Tamzin did a list of all July's start dates and treatments shall we do that too do you think?

I start on the 2/08/13 3 x EC and 3 X T plus 18 X herceptin.
Pennycrow (Alix) 3 x FEC 3 x T (triple neg)
I will add the rest as we find out what you are all going to have or if you already know then I can add it now.
Chezzap I thought I was going to be a Junkie and have read all their posts but I think maybe it is better to be synced in at the beginning of a group so you would be very welcome to join us (don't you think ladies?)
Claire I saw onc on Monday info session a week later and 1st chemo the following friday so you should definitely start in August I would think? My BCN said they have 12 weeks from the mx to begin chemo.

Annie I am scared too the list of side effects the onc went through is horrendous, but if you read the pils on any drug there are almost as many! All we can hope is that we don't get many or all of them, as you say the advice on here is very good. I have my sea bands, ice pops, bonjela and ginger bics all on stand by

Sorry I have blethered on, as you will find I love to talk and can write nearly as much, people make fun of my lengthy texts but hey it's good to talk!

Keep smiling, off to pick up my daughter and grandchildren now while I can!

take care Jacquie x

Please count me in. Having made the decision to have chemo before a mastectomy as I have already had two WLE surgeries in last couple of months, I will be starting chemo in August. Hope we all get amazing results!
bumpkin.

Hello Amazing Augusts-( are you "Maisies" or "Augies?") Good luck on your journey together from a May Moonbeam. xxP

I love the name too - very positive! I've been making a note of the tips from other threads, ginger biscs, seasickness bands etc. as well. Areas certainly do seem to vary wildly over appointmes for Onc, wig fittings etc. - although I think I'll be starting chemo next week, no mention has been made of headwear even though it's quite possible my hair will start falling out after the very first session.

It does seem to be all too much at once where I live, whereas others seem to have time to go on holiday, get wig fittings etc. and generally be better prepared. I'm so scared!

Hi all, The name sounds great and so glad there will be a few of us. I too guess I will start Chemo in August after i have seen the onc on 1st so would love to join Amazing August. am sure we will all know more in due course. all the very best to you all x

thanx chez zap, it's been 5 weeks one day since wle and ANC but did have 2 nd wle last Monday, would just like appt for onc, going to be Christmas at this rate.
il check for stocking up, can't believe this, nearly 3 months ago none of us facing chemo soon probably gave this crap a thought, but now we are all sharing this journey together, nice to know we aren't alone though.
i hope we have some laughs along the way could do with a few, bet we all could. Good luck with first one keep us posted on how it goes xx

Lols I was told after surgery between 4 and 6 weeks to allow scars to heal. Im starting mine 4 weeks to the day after the mx and anc.
Think psychologically after the surgery even though devestating and feel mutilated I feel better knowing the cancer was in the bin not that horrid oh shit its spreading through me like wildfire feeling anymore. Just wanna get that first chemo under my belt to see how I cope.

The other posts have put really helpful info on what things to stock up on beforehand such as ginger biccies, seabands for wrist etc

Hi ladies, looking at posts on other threads there seems to be big differences between dx and starting chemo. I was dx 17 th may still not seen onc, I know I've had surgeries but really want to get on with it now, how long do they make you wait?
Plus the later they start the later some of us get back to work ( not allowed bk till all treatment over as staff nurse so work with germs!!!!!!) especially in autumn time.
hope I'm joining your group you all sound positive .othervthreads for chemo are brill such good support .
right I'm off to watch corrie now sorry for rant, bloody cancer on there too, just needed to put thoughts down With people who understand xx

Hi Sandra here popping over from the June Jewels....brilliant support from this forum & can honestly say joining it has been the best thing I've done....wishing you all weren't here in the same boat but take a peek at June Jewels, May Moonbeams July Junkies etc & you'll see that we were all saying the exact same things you're all saying now. Reading previous posts took the fear out of chemo for me & believe me I was TERRIFIED! ( who wouldn't be) but side effects are manageable for the vast majority of us with a few bumps along the way....also things appear more in control after your ONC appt & getting a plan sorted etc....Wishing all you ladies the very best of luck with your treatments....:-) xx

Hello Folks,
I had my oncology appointment today and the result is that I am also starting chemo in August, on Wednesday 7th August to be precise. Please add me to the list of "Amazing Augusts".
I'm having 3xFEC and 3xTax as my tumour was Triple Negative. Sligthly apprehensive but good to be pressing on with the treatment. Amazing Augusts sounds a very positive name - like it, good call!
Best wishes to all on this journey,
Alix

Claire are you living in Manchester?????

I am starting in August too, so please add me to the Amazing Augusts. love the name

Hi ladies

I am a July junkie strictly speaking but I start right at end of July and have 8 cycles rather than 6 so can I join Amazing August also??
AS I will start ahead of you hopefully will be able to ally fears of the unknown and side effects will be a minimum
So hang on to your hats / scarves/wigs ladies cos its gonna be a bumpy ride!!!!

Hi I have my onc appointment on August 19th, how soon after would chemo begin?
Could it be within a week or two of the appointment? Nervous!
Claire x

I'm due to see the Onc tomorrow and will probably be starting chemo next week. Am dreading it even more than either of my ops!

Annie x

Hi yes I have first lot on the 2nd of August, as you say nice to be getting on with it, I had surgery 5 weeks ago and feeling a bit in limbo now!,

Hi, hope I'm getting on with it by August waiting for appt with onc, any name will do just nice to have support good luck if starting soon, keep posting and let us know how your getting on xx

anyone starting chemo in August?

Taken advice to start a new topic for any one else starting chemo next month. We have a few names proposed on another thread but how does Amazing Augusts sound? Please pitch in I have read other months threads and it does seem to help having people going through exactly the same thoughts fears and questions as you or close to them at least! Chemo is scaring me silly and seeing the onc yesterday scared me even more!