Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

armpit terror

6 REPLIES 6
cb102

Re: armpit terror

Hi Liz

Glad to hear you feel better today and that you are seeing the plastic surgeon. I hope you haven't got too long to wait.

Take care

lizbou

To Carol, Lyn and CB102: thank you all so much for your kind comments. I am feeling much stronger today, and the bcn I spoke to this morning said much the same as you, Lyn. Seeing the plastic surgeon tonight for the second time and just praying I get a date for surgery, cos just sitting here knowing I have cancer and not having anything done about it is driving me mad. My best wishes to you all and hope your treatment or whatever is going well.
Liz

cb102

Yep Liz
I totally agree with Lyn sound peice of advice!

lyndu

Hi Lizbou,
Were you given any contacts for a breast care nurse? If so, get on the phone to her and tell her you're coming to see her. If not, get on to the hospital and say you need to see someone on the team where you got your diagnosis. Squeak loudly - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and too many of us are hesitant about bothering the medics.

For what it's worth, it seems unlikely to me (as a patient and no other expertise) that the cancer would have progressed to a lump and be painful since you last saw someone, if you were diagnosed around two weeks ago. It might just be inflammation from an unconnected infection, but much more reassuring to have a professional have a look at it. Sitting at home wondering what's up now is just the pits.

Look after yourself, and keep us posted,
Lyn

cb102

Hi Lizbou

Sorry to hear that you have this added worry, I agree when you know what you are dealing with it is easier. However you are allowed to be weepy even if you feel a need to put up a mask for all those you love.
I can only give you guidance on how things were for me.

When I felt my lump in the breast I had no pain. I had a lumpectomy and partial clearance. A year later I felt a lump in my arm pit, its was not painful but I knew when I felt it, it was the cancer returned. I was given a total clearance, again one in all was cancerous.
The following year I felt a lump on the scar line and knew it was the cancer returned.

At no time did I feel pain, but I did have that gut feeling that it was cancer.

I been through the mill a bit with treatment but hey ho, there is treatment and good care to be sought. I hope your lymph nodes are clear as it gives us all a little more reassurrance, if they are effected be assured you will get appropriate treatment.

Take care, lots of hugs

Carol

Sam_BCC

Hi Liz

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums. Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences and advice you may find BCC's resource pack helpful, it has been designed for those newly diagnosed. If you would like a copy just follow the link below:
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

If you feel you need to talk to someone in confidence then please give the helpline a call, the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 the lines open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

lizbou

armpit terror

Hello all. I'm new to the site and the whole business. Diagnosed last Friday (23 Aug) after MRI and biopsy. I had surprised myself at how I was coping. Once you know what you're dealing with, it helps. The three days between biopsy and getting the news were the worst... I thought. I am now waiting for further appointment with plastic surgeon re joint procedure mastectomy and reconstruction with implant. BUT this morning I've added a painful armpit (on the same side as the cancer) and think there is a lump there. This discovery has really knocked me sideways - I had been keeping busy and reasonably cheerful (even though waiting for treatment to start is agony). But now I am conscious of my armpit, and weepy in a way I haven't been before. Anyone else had this??