back pain

back pain

back pain Hi, I finished my treatment for bc early april, but since dx in jan i have had lots of lower back pain, it hurts more at night time when i am relaxed, also when i lie in bed at night, and go straight on to my side my hip hurts, but that only last for a few mins, i mentioned it to my GP who never even checked the area, just said its muscle pain, and to take pain killers, pain killers do nothing and the ache is still there,

question is should i be worried, i am due to see my onc on the 24th of this month and wondered if i should mention these aches and pains to him, as when i went to my GP with the lump in my breast she kept saying that was nothing to worry about, untill about 2 months later when she refared me to the breast unit, and then found it to be bc,

karen

tell your oncologist GPs are pretty unclued up about breast cancer but having said that most back pain is not due to breast cancer even in people who have had it. I’ve got upper back pain and had a bone scan. I was worried it could be breast cancer but I have been told the scan was normal and that it is degenerative changes. Since getting back pain I have discovered it is incredibly common, in fact my GP has it as do most of the breast care nurses at UCL as I heard them complaining to each other about it when I was going up to discuss my results.

24th is early enough to see your oncologist as even if it is connected to breast cancer treatment does not have to be rushed.

Mole

back pain Hello Karen, talking to my physio sister-in-law, she commented how few people realize how much damage is done to patients on the opeating table. She often meets it in her clients. Simply moving an inert body can mean twisting and straining on the spine. It might be worth talking to a good physio or osteopath who specializes in backs

don’t ignore it! Hi Karen,

I think i posted the other day on one of the forums to a similar question. Of course back pain is a very common complaint among the human population! But, personally, I don’t think back pain in women who have had bc should ever go unchecked if it continues. Until you have ruled out the possibility of it being related to your bc you should not be satisfied with any other solution, including GPs and osteopaths etc. It may be worth giving your hospital, or breast care nurse a call and asking them if they think you should wait until your appointment on 24th, or come in sooner to see the onc. in case they want to arrange scans in time for that appointment. Nothing like putting a little pressure on them. You don’t say in your profile if you had any surgery so I don’t know if that is a factor.

Good luck, Dawnhc

Dawnhc Hi , yes i had WLE and ANS, results were good no spread, er+pr+ 8/8 treatment was 15 sessions of rads, and tamoxifen for 5 years. The back ache is my lower back but had it as i was dx with the cancer, but lately to i have really bad sharp like knife pains in stomach, only last for a few seconds, but it really hurts, will see if i can get hold of my bc nurse in the morning, and see what she says,

Thanks for your replies
karen