363550posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad back

5 REPLIES 5

Re: bad back

Glad you sorted it happy jam . I too suffer with my back, have done for 30 years, and was worried when I read your post. I won't start radio for a while yet but good to be prepared.

Thanks for your replies, I eventually found a sympathetic radiographer who told me how I could get myself in the right position without them using the mat to yank me from side to side. Had to be very assertive though, and still have to tell each person when they are new to me.

Hi Happyjam

Only experience so far has been rads planning appt but start treatment this Thursday. The radiologist did ask me if I had any back problems at my appt. I actually had surgery on my neck for a ruptured disc about about 3 years ago and since then I do not have complete normal movement. They wanted to use a neck support to achieve the correct possition for my rads but I was unable to tolerate the support and the possition. They tried without and after several attempts they eventually found a good position that was comfortable for me. Is there no way your radiologists could help with your possitioning and comfort? if I were you I would definitely ask them and explain why. Good luck x 

Hi Happyjam, like you I suffer from a bad back and have done so for many years.  spondylitis in cervical and lumber area.  Going through radiotherapy was hard as you are experiencing as you have to hold your self in specific poses and cant move.  Although only for a short time it still hursts the back.  Since finishing radiotherapy I continue to have a very sore nect, very stiff and aches all the time.  I take painkiller its the only thing I can do.  Did try physio but had not affect.  You just need to hang in there and get through the treatment which is very important.

Take care. Anne

Hi happyjam,

Sorry you haven't had any replies to your question as yet, but hopefully someone will now see your post.  In the meantime you are more than welcome to talk this through with our helpline staff, they're here to support you through this.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open at 9am today until 5pm (weekdays) and 10-2 Saturdays.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

bad back

Hi - can anyone tell me if they have any experience of how they managed their back during their radiotherapy please? I have a long history of back and pelvis problems, and until about 6 yrs ago had a blue disabled badge. I managed to get myself fit enough to do short triathlons, until all this (chemo, surgery, herceptin etc) started, and following my first 2 radiotherapy sessions I am getting back pain and beginning to get spasms again (I have a bulging disc that is easily irritated) because of the way I am moved into position by the radiographers - I lie on a mat/sheet and they yank it from the side to pull my body into the right position, which means the top part of my back is moved without warning, and independently to the rest of my back. I still have another 23 sessions to go yet, and I am not going to last the course at this rate. The radiographers just told me to take some painkillers before each session, but I already am! And I have children and have to function! Has anyone got any ideas, or suggestions please?