cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad news at appoinment on Friday

6 REPLIES 6
Kf791

Re: bad news at appoinment on Friday

As the ladies have said, the chances are that the chemo you will be on will make you lose your hair.

If where you have your chemo has the option of cold capping give it a try. It's hard work to start with but if you can cope there is a chance you will not lose all of your hair.

I wasn't going to try the cold cap as I didn't think I would be too fussed about losing my hair, but thought I might regret not at least trying it. But I have my next chemo on the 3rd and tbh I kinda want my hair to start falling out loads so I can give up the cold cap (i find it quite painful and you are in the hospital a few hours longer)! But I should be happy that I've kept most of my hair!

Sending hugs xxx
Butterfly318

I know it sounds easy, just give a Chemo that won't make you lose your hair.  Yes there are many Chemo's where you don;t lose your hair but many years of research and treatment have brought a general plan whereby primary breast cancer is treated with usually Fec-T or EC or just Fec (occasionally a slightly different combination).  Depending on the dose and whether cold cap is available depends on whether you manage to keep your hair.

I, like you and many other ladies, was petrified and my Breast Care Nurse just think about the cancer as diseased tissue which we remove (either lumpectomy or mastectomy) then the tumout has gone.  Chemo is given to mop up any stray cells that may have gotten in the blood and then Radiotherapy to catch any stray cells in the area of the tumour.

The plan offered with depend on size stage and grade of the tumour which they find out gradually.  HER2 is tested in only one central unit in the UK and takes a few weeks to get the results.  This doesn't stop any other treatment going ahead as the treatment for HER2 + is Herceptin  every three weeks as an infusion and the first few must given with the Chemo.  

I hope this is helpful Deedee.  Please just take one bit of treatment at a time and as the other ladies have said you will be just fine and hopefully welcoming the treatment.

Take Care    Gilly x

chascat

Hi Dee

For primary BC I believe that all chemo regimes cause hair loss. I understand the fear of hair loss, it's the one thing that we all agree on but I opted not to use the Cold cap and it was almost a relief when my hair fell out as I'd spent so long worrying about it happening, I was glad to get it over and done with, once it was gone it was gone, no more stressing. I had a lovely wig which was very similar to my own hair - only much nicer and I only wore it once, I just couldn't be bothered, but I did have some really lovely hats and always made sure my make up was nice. I'm 2 years the other side of treatment now and my hair is long and thick and so much nicer than it was before. When I knew I was going to have chemo I was determined to try the cold cap, anything to hang onto my hair, but then just swung the other way completely, in the grand scheme of things it just wasn't important to me, you may surprise yourself too x

deedee540

Thank you both very much for your replies. You have made me feel much better about the thought of chemo even though i still hope i don 't need it. If i do need it of course i will accept it with open arms as i know it is so important in the fight against cancer. I will then be back on here with a hundred questions for you.

I know it is only vanity but i don't want to lose my hair. I am sure i can cope with all the rest but not that !

Is there any chemo that does not make your hair fall out ?

Thanks again

love and hugs to all

Dee

chascat

Hi Deedee, I can only echo what KF791 said, chemo, for most of us, is nothing like it's portrayed on the television. Unfortunately you will not get a full treatment plan in the early stages, chemo wasn't mentioned to me either but the results of the pathology suggested it would be beneficial and for that I'm so grateful for our wonderful NHS, gold standard cancer care. Herceptin has to be given with chemo, it's part of the licence for use and if you are HER2 + you will definitely need herceptin. I would say sit tight and think of the chemo positives - realise that may sound mad but I went from being terrified of chemo to being relieved I was going to have it, knowing everything possible was being thrown at the critter. Take care and let is know how you get on.CC x

Kf791

Hi dee

I can't answer your question but just wanted to come on and say that chemotherapy isn't as bad as you're thinking. I think tv and films make it out to be horrendous! I've had two cycles of chemo and it really wasn't that bad. First cycle I had no side effects at all, was worried they hadn't actually given me the right drugs to starry with! Second cycle, I had a couple of days feeling a bit sick but now am feeling absolutely fine and awaiting my third cycle on 3rd Dec. I've also used the cold cap and at the moment have hardly lost any hair too 🙂

So if you do have to go down that route, please don't panic xxx
deedee540

bad news at appoinment on Friday

Hi everyone

As you may have seen in my previous posts i was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer last week and told would be having the lump removed (depending on MRI results) then 3 weeks of radiotherapy and 5 years of hormone treatment as it was ER positive.

When i went back this Friday to go through what will happen during the operation the consultant just happened to mention he had not had the report back from biopsy to tell him if it is HER2 POSITIVE or HER2 NEGATIVE. If it is positive i will also need chemotherapy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was never mentioned previously and has sent me into a tailspin. I was coping with being told i had cancer and needed surgery and radiotherapy but cannot cope with the thought of chemotherapy at all.

Has anyone else with lobular cancer been HER2 POSITIVE ?

love and hugs to all

Dee