beginning to make the decision wether to have or not?

Hi All

Not been on here for ages, hope all my old pals are as well as can be expected X

I was diag in Oct 2006 and told I could not have an immediate recon due to the close proximity of tumor to chest wall, and the need for radiotherapy.

Now 4 yrs on with much water under the bridge, I think I am ready to make the decision of wether or not to have the op. My local hosp where I had the MX and node clearance is Carlisle. They only do the muscle from back type. My friend has had this at that hosp and she is happy with hers but I have seen her back and it has a very large dint in it visable when she wears a summery vest.

At Newcastle, which isnt too far from me thay do the tummy type and after some research I am leaning more towards this. I am waiting to get an appointment with the Carlisle team to see if it is viable, but in the mean time I was wondering if any of you ladies could offer advice regarding these types, life afterwards, recovery time, scar appearance, muscle weakness etc.

The back muscle they would use has given me pain for over a decade, no cause found, and I am concerned this may be transferred to what will be my new breast!

Also, have your lives improved since having it and if so, in what way? And I have been told it would be adventagious to lose weight in advance to avoid future weight loss making the boobs dif sizes as new one would not get smaller.

Thanks for any help

Irene

Hi

Like you I had a mastectomy 4 years ago and decided against immediate reconstruction. Three years down the line I felt I was ready to consider reconstruction. My Breast Consultant referred me to the Plastic Surgeon. I had an appt with him in Feb 2010, and we both decided Tram Flap was for me. I underwent my reconstruction op on 14 Dec 2010, it is a huge op it was 10 hours for me. The first few days were hard. I dont take aneasthetic very well and felt quite sick of a good few days. As for pain, I was surprised at how comfortable I was. I got home from hospital after 1 week. I was quite weak when I got home, I had help, my husband took 3 weeks of work to lend a hand with housework. I am now 9 weeks down the line and feel good. My new breast is wonderful, scars are still a bit red but I moisturise them daily as advised. I am out and about again shopping etc. It feels good not to wear a prosthesis everyday. I am 52 with grown up children so can rest when I want. Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions about anything dont hesitate to ask.

Take Care

Carolyn x

Hi Irene

I’m at the early stage of reconstructive surgery. I had bc in 2006 with lumpectomy and rads. Then in 2009 I had lobular invasive cancer and had mx followed by chemo. I waited a year just to give myself a chance to get as fully fit as possible. I’m 41 years old and decided I wanted prophylactic mx with double recon. I wanted the tram flap but unfortunately didn’t have enough fat. I settled on the ld flap from the back. I had that done 3 weeks ago and the op was only 3-4 hours. I had the normal drains in etc but was home with them all out after 6 days. My scar is looking brilliant already (have a haematoma but was told they are common). I moisturise regularly and the boobs are looking great. I was told the muscle weakness is normal but should improve over time. I had my op at Rake Lane Hospital in North Shields and the Consultant was brilliant, she was so caring and empathetic to my needs. She has an excellent reputation.

Hope this helps

Take care

Krissy x

Hi
Just to say I had the LD flap recon 14yrs ago ( it was imm recon) I too have a scar but it is on the bra line so could wear summer tops and to be fair with the right swimsuit/ bra you would never know!! The surgeon was BRILLIANT! ( I was 34 then) I am finding now as I time goes on that I have what may be the start of athritis ( or so the doc says) and on cold days my back ( where the op was does ache)The same is true of my Collar bone I think that’s par for the course, I would have been able to have the tram ( tummy) flap at the hosp in edinburgh at the time but didn’t have enough tummy then ( got plenty now) I have never regreted having it done ( only the having to! so say all of us eh?) I am now waiting for surgery having being recntly diagnosed with DCIS on the other breast! you win some you lose some! If I can answer any questions for you I would be happy to
J

Thanks ladies.

Carolyn, you are the same age as me and diag at same time and have op I am considering so think you have a lot of experience that may help me.

I am overweight, would like to loose 3 stone, though most people dont think I do! I am tall so carry it well.

The hosp registrar I usually see at my annual checks thinks there will be no prob in me having op, but warned that if I lose weight after the op, the new boob will stay same size (back muscle op done there)

Do you know if same applies to tram flap. Do they do a tummy tuck at same time?! Need one of them too! If I do lose weight I wont be skinny so dont think that will be a prob in terms of amount of belly fat!!! I assume they use muscle too, and how do they get the nerve and blood supply to the boob (know how this works with back muscle op - always forget name of this!)

Any tips will help.

Thanks all again

Irene

Hi Irene

I was told the Tummy flap boob will lose and gain weight as you do. I have a free flap transfer, so they use micro surgery to join all the blood vessels together. They keep you in a really warm room for 1 week, as the heat helps the blood vessels knit together. I am really pleased with my boob. It makes such a difference not wearing a prosthesis every day to me anyway. Feel free to ask any questions.

Take care

Carolyn x

Hi Irene

Sorry didnt read message properly. Yes I now have a lovely flat tummy. I am not thin by any means and I didnt have to go down a size in clothes but my trousers now fit me better without a muffin top.

Carolyn x