Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking categories/search

16 REPLIES 16
lisaf

Re: blocking categories/search

hiya
I might be saying something obvious but you can also save the threads you are interested in, ive saved the ones I post on most of these time and check them more often as my saved discussions then I go into the subject down left hand side, and I think (although not sure with my brain at mo) that those threads are in latest post order.

Think some changes have been made and hope its easier for people x

belinda

Yes sometimes it does only take seconds but sometimes it doesn't.
I used to be able to block several categories from the old site, not just chat but other forums which didn't apply to me and where I could offer no help, advice or feedback. If you were logged on the blocked categories would not appear in the latest posts of the old site. I think the problem is because we have even more forums than before I can now, at times, get to page 3 of the latest posts before I see anything of relevance. I have no problem with people using the chat forums at all..I just want to access the latest secondary posts and a blocking categories facility would help at times. I'm trying to spend less time at my pc and less time focussing on living with breast cancer. But I still want to support others, like me, with mets and this is a great site. It's not a big issue for me at all but if it can be introduced it would certainly be helpful for some.
And thanks Bertie for getting back to us.

horace

I just scroll down the pages of latest posts and click on those I want to see.It takes seconds.

Bertie_BCC

Hi all,

We're trying to find a phpbb module to do that. But if you only want to block Chit Chat, it may possible to have a separate "latest posts" without chit chat. We'll look into it and get back to you.

Thanks,

Bertie

Bahons2

The main problem is that it is more difficult to block categories in the 'Latest Posts' (which after all is the quickest way to see what's been exercising people on here recently) if we don't want to see them.

As mrsblue says, this was a simple procedure on the old site; it's more complicated on this one and involves features (RSS feeds?) with which I for one am not yet familiar.

Also, with fewer posts now visible at any one time, it is possible to click on 'Latest posts' and see nearly all 'chit-chat' posts and not a lot else.

I have no problem with these posts per se, but if one is looking for meatier topics, it can take quite a bit longer to find them (without clicking through all the individual categories one-by-one, that is)

X

S

horace

I like the latest posts category just as it is.I am sure they all showed on the old site too.I think its about right now.The pms and profiles are what we asked for and,after all,no one has to open a 'latest post'if they dont want to read it.

mrsblue

The big difference is that on the old BCC site, it was possible to block a category with one click of the mouse!

nicky08
Community Champion

Having read the comments I agree with Lisaf, but I would as we are in the same support group that we set up last year during chemo. I think the real problem is the way the site shows latest posts. The old site seemed (if I remember correctly) to list the latest posts under each category, not every single 'latest posts' for every single sub category as now is the case. Therefore you could go into the 'chemo' one or the 'just diagnosed one' or the 'chit chat' one and see what was posted and not all of the other ones. Again, chit chat and games were always on the old forums but everything seemed to be listed 'better' so they didn't seem to dominate the front page of Latest Posts. Not sure how this can be dealt with as I also agree that you have to trawl through a lot of 'latest posts' to try and find any that you can help or support on as well as any that you are involved on a keeping in touch way. Maybe this will be addressed by the site developers. Also we have to recall when this new site was launched there was a strong request to see 'latest posts' as they weren't originally listed.
Nicky

lisaf

I think its each to their own, I wouldnt want to do word games etc. but then its my choice to look at those things or not, they were on the old site too.

As someone who has a "chit chat" as its called, it is totally up to others and it isnt just chit chat, the group I am in supported me from Chemo through all that to now and we had decidedto move our "chit chat" to after treatment had finished so as not to offend anyone going through chemo. We have however had lots of posts of people who didnt join us that read what we were doing, feeling, treatment etc, who found it very useful, so maybe it should be down to individuals who read what they want.... dont want to offend anyone but dont really see the problem!

Hoping not to get shot down for this post!

belinda

Yes, I've just waded through the latest posts..I agree with all of you.

Anthi

Hello Eileen - good to see your name on here.
I agree about the wordgames and so on. It's nice for people to have them, but there are so many quizzes, wordsearches etc. in among the other posts, that it seems to make the site more difficult to navigate.
Hope you're doing OK Eileen.
Love Anthi.

eileen765

Totally agree with last two posters. I think it's great for people to support each other, and this is NOT a critisism, but when I first started using this site it was much different. Now there are lots of groups who chit chat amongst theirselves, I do think they should be moved over to general chit chat as I haven't been part of the thread so don't really weant to know what they had for dinner. Please let me add that if anyone new does join their threads they are always welcoming, and friendly. The site seems tpo be changing into little seperate chat rooms. I do not mean to offend anyone and wouldn't do that deliberately. There is a gobby gang and it was made up of young women and yes I quite liked to sneak in and read their posts. Now there are so many I can't find information. The site seems a bit...dare I say it lightweight. oh I bet I get done now...... Anyway that's my two penn'orth. Love Eileen

redders

Totally agree! Nothing against those who want to have quizzes and word searches etc etc but that's not why I come on here. Also think that small groups of people who have made cyber friends should have a separate part of the site where they can continue their chat which obviously doesn't mean anything to the rest of us. There are SO many posts to wade through to find the one(s) I want.

topsymo

There do seem to be more and more threads now which are private chit chat between small groups of people. Wonder if it would be possible for those who want to play quizzes or have these chats to be posted separately?

It seems to take a long time to find the threads one is looking for now there are so many - whether one is looking for ones that are of particular relevance to your own situation - giving info etc or maybe wanting to add your own experience that may be of help to others.

KatherineM

i would like to block the word games etc- thats not why i come here!

Lucy_BCC

Hi Eileen

I have asked for help with this from one of the tech guys as I'm not sure but it may be tomorrow when they get back to me, maybe someone else on here has managed to do it!

I noticed you have posted the same thread twice so I'll delete the other to avoid confusion.

Best wishes

Lucy

eileen765

blocking categories/search

Please can you tell me how to block categories. I hate word games etc. Also I am looking for one of my old posts on eyesight after chemo how do I find it. I know this is probably not the right place to post so sorry love Eileen