bone mets, do they get worse before they hopefully stabilise

Hi Ladies,

This is only the second time I have posted but am seeking advice about bone mets. i was diagnosed in November with primary bc and secondary bone mets diagnosed 3 weeks later.
Since then have been on tamoxifen, zoladex and monthly iv pamidronate. CT scan last monday showed no progression to liver and lungs which is great but has shown “more sclerotic bone deposits” which the radiographer has gone on to comment that this could be treatment effect rather than more bone mets?
Has anyone else had this, or experienced bone mets getting worse before better?
Thanks
Rachelxx

Hi Rachel

I seem to remember that you weren’t getting much, if any, pain with your bone mets - I hope I’m not confusing you with someone else.

I was dx’ed in December and my bone pain was definitely worse or at least as bad as at first dx until I’d had a couple of infusions. I felt it had progressed to my collarbone so had a bone scan which showed that was referred pain from the mets in my shoulders. I was told by the chemo nurse that very often the pain gets worse with the first couple of infusions but am assuming you’ve had more than this now …

However my tumour markers have been rising since December and I’m now coming off the Tamoxifen and have my first EC chemo session this afternoon so really hope that shrinks everything

Have you seen your onc about this or are you just going by what the radiographer told you?

Lesley xx

Hi RAchel, yes, I have sclerotic stuff happening on a couple of my bones in the spine. It can be caused either by cancer (it depends on whether you have lytic bone mets or blastic ones), or by bones healing. I think an MRI would be able to tell you more, but these are expensive tools and may not make much difference to your treatment.

My bone mets appear to have stabilised after a time when it appeared they just went a bild wild. Two years ago I had a suspicious spot on my spine following a bone scan. AN MRI a couple of months later showed mets to three verterbrae and about six months later we found mets in the top of my femur. But I have been on bisphosphonates for a while now and I think they may have stabilised things (hope so, anyway).

Deirdre

Hi,
this time last year Ian had to put the roof down on the car before I could get in! Looked really daft and felt it too. I started pamidrinate in May and not that I can do back flips but the car roof only comes down on sunny days. I had radio therapy which did help as well.
Love Debsxxx

Hi Rachel,

I have had extensive bone mets since 2002, with quite a bit of pain at the time. I was on 4 weekly pamidronate to start with and after about 3 lots of treatment I didnt need any more pain meds BUT the mets in my bones and spread further. Since then I have been on 3-weekly. After that they stabilised and have been ok for a number of years until just recently.There is no sign of more activity but the pain has come back. I have both osteolytic and osteoblastic types/

Dawn
xxx

Hi

Forgive the ignorance, but whays the difference between lytic and blastic. I think I asked this once before but cant remember reply (its the tablets you know lol).

Take care

Hi Lynni,

I think the best description I have found comes from Novartis Oncology website:

Cancer cells that spread to bone can cause damage in two ways:

* The tumor may wear away bits of bone, creating small holes called osteolytic lesions. This process can make bones fragile and weak so that they break or fracture easily.

* The tumor may stimulate bone to form and build up abnormally. These areas of new bone are called osteoblastic or osteosclerotic lesions. They are weak and unstable and may break or collapse. They also can be painful.

dawnhc

Dear All

Thank you for your responses, they have been really helpful. I have never been told what type of mets I have but have another bone scan booked for 3 months time alongside a CT scan aswell.
Just had more pamidronate today so hopefully that will help, though they can’t fit my next one on for 5 weeks, cause of Easter…

Rachxx

That is so helpful, Dawn! - many thanks. The report from last September’s bone scan mentioned “reduction in osteoblastic activity…” So, now I know.

Was just thinking…isnt it funny how history repeats itself, Waffles, you were only talking about this the other day!

moijanxx

Well spotted Moijan! xxx