bone secondaries confirmed.

I had my results of my bone scan yesterday and was told I have secondaries in some of my vertebrae. I was sad when the consultant said she couldn’t cure it but could treat it. I just have to be optimistic. How hard is it telling all your family!! I have held it together and not cried and am really trying to be brave. It is hard though. I had a Zoladex implant, have a session of radiotherapy planned and then will be going on a bisphosphonate. I can’t remember the name of it right now as I was trying to take all the information in. I realise it is treatable but it’s all down to how my cancer responds to it so hoping for the best and going to stay positive all the way. Thanks my fellow ladies who gave me advice in my previous thread. It gave me the confidence to ask the right questions and not feel sorry for myself and to cope with it all.

Dear Lucky Gal, I am sorry to read your news and I am sure your fellow users will be along soon with support for you

Don’t forget our helpline if you need to talk it over with someone in confidence (9-5 weekdays 10-2 Sat 0808 800 6000)

Here’s a link to the BCC secondary information and support ideas:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries?utm\_source=Homepage&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=secondaries

Take care

Lucy

Hi Lucky Gal, I had the same diagnosis last July. I am on zoladex, zometa (for bones) and letrozole. Its so hard to get your head around everything. I have also had ec chemo which has stopped the progression for now. There is a good thead called bone mets in tbe secondary section where you will find support and advice. I am 42 and have felt like my world has fallen apart but have tried to remain positive ans strong and I hope t return to work in a couple of weeks.
Mel xx

Thanks for the encouragement. I am 44 Mel and to find someone who is going through the same thing is comforting despite the awfulness of our situation. I may phone the advice line tomorrow as I keep chucking diazepam down my neck as I’m so anxious.

Lucky gal have messaged you xx

Hi Mel and Lucky Girl,
I’ve got bone (and liver) mets too, I’m 41. You can live for decades with bone mets, it’s very treatable for many people.
Younger Breast Cancer Network UK (YBCN) is a private face book group for younger ladies (most are in their 30s and early/mid 40s) with BC and they also have a group for younger ladies with mets. It’s been a godsend to me. Search the group name (public page) and message the admministrator, letting her know you have mets. She will add you to the private group (only other group member will be able to see your posts). We’re very chatty!
For older ladies out there there is Chat Girls.
Cx

Hi Lucky Gal
I too was diagnosed with bone mets, in cervical, thorasic and lumber vertebrae and hip. Have had radio and chemo and am also on Zometa, Letrezole and Calcichew tablets. Have been stable since September go for my three month scans next month, but I am OK and back to a normal life. Good luck.
ChrisL

Well thanks for all your kind words of encouragement. I really appreciate it and will check out the Facebook page too.

Hi Lucky Gal,

Just wanted to say hi and hope you will find your way to the Bone Mets thread that Mel mentioned. I doubt if you will ever have time to read through it all but the thing that amazed me was how many of us contribute to that thread. By now there has to have been well over 100 different people. I did do a count up but that was months ago now. As you said it is down to how our cancer responds to treatment but it is now considered to be a very treatable chronic condition. My initial dx with breast cancer at 45 was back in 1990 with a few recurrences after that, then I was diagnosed with extensive bone mets in 2002. f you have done your maths you will work out I am now 68. I must admit I never expected to live this long. My main treatments now are herceptin and zometa every 3 wks. Hope you find lots of help and support through the forums & facebook groups.
Dawn

Hi Lucky Gal,
Welcome - and I hope you try the Bone mets thread. I have found it invaluable.
I’m just behind Dawn with my original dx being made in 1994 when I too was 45 and with two young children of 5 and 3. I managed to bring them up all right, my main aim at the time.
This Christmas, quite out of the blue, I was diagnosed with 'very extensive bone mets". After aggressive treatment with rads, steroids, Zometa and Letrozole I came home and am gradually getting stronger. It looks as if I may have a few years in me yet! My GP has quite a few like us on her books and says it is a manageable condition. It all depends on how the treatments go and how your body responds but my Onc is upbeat and reckons she has quite a few weapons in her arsenal. With more coming along all the time.
So plenty of hope and bags of support here.
Susan

Hello Lucky Girl, I am sorry you have this new Bone secondaries to deal with and remember well how devastated I felt when I heard myself. Not at all easy to get your head round. I was first diagnosed at 39 with BC and at 49 I was given the bone mets diagnosis and it was in my spine, ribs, thorax and pelvis. However I have had various treatments over the years ( 14 years with bone mets) and I am still aorund at eh grand old age of 63! I have bone stenthening treatment very month, and I am on quite a few different painkillers and am back on Tamoxifen after many years being on other hormone treatments. It hasn’t always been easy but the support I got from this site from talking to other ladies in a similar position has made it much easier to deal with as we can share information, share our ups and downs and get to know each other better. I usually only go onto the the “bone mets please join in” thread but occasionally a new post will catch my eye like it did with you today. will look out for your posts to see how you are doing. Take care, Val.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will definitely stick around. I didn’t use this forum when I was first diagnosed with BC and realise now this was foolish and I don’t need to cope with all this alone.
I will check out the bone thread and I’m so pleased to hear your stories and ways of coping xx

Hi All
I had chemo (taxol) last year together with herceptin and zometa, plus radiotheraphy to help with the pain. Dx with bone mets in my spine and neck and wore a retrictive collar for six months, was due to have operation in September, but the treatment had been working, the bone had grown back (had a large hole in my cervical vertebrae, so didn’t need an op, my Neuro surgeon was amazed at my progress, I was more than relieved. Had a lumpectomy on Christmas Eve followed by more radiotheraphy to the spine in February and have been told the cancer has gone from my neck. Am still on herceptin every three weeks, zometa every three months and take Letrezole every day together with calcium tablet. I am fit and well at present, in fact I feel better than I have for quite some time. Next week is my three month scan MRI and CT, followed by results at end of June. Hope my story will help some of you out there, lets all be positive.