370783posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

book club

Wandy

Re: book club

Very good point cc. Am coming round to the idea more and more...

Wandyx

cromercrab

Buying a kindle was a good move on my part. I was concerned that I might not use it, and it being a gimmick. Let me tell you, I have read about 15 books on it so far, since Christmas and it has accompanied me to hospital and proved invaluable. Its hard to manage a book one handed. I am reading fall of Giants which is a HUGE tome............apparently. Its great to have all my reading matter stored electronically. I like the idea of downloading a book and reading it almost instantaneously.
x sarah

Wandy

Little Miss Whoops, I love JDRobb 'Death In' series. They are great easy, silly reads with not bad plots and as you say a fab hero Roarke!!He's just like my OH!!

My next debate is whether to get a kindle, I love the feel of books, but that whole travelling with Ryanair and needing the space is a really good point!....will have to see...

Wandyx

ChoccieMuffin

Yes, I loved Room too. Very touching book.

sky2sea

I thought 'room' was really well done - it could so easily have been exploitative but wasn't.

sweetanimo

Just finished 'room' by Emma Donoghue - really gripping! Little Miss Whoops - I love Tess Gerritsen books - great to hear a new one is about to come out!
Xx

tors

Jilly cooper's jump. Stretching the old grey matter, not! But enjoying it thoroughly.

sheil

Thanks for the suggestions here ladies. I'm now off to the Kindle shop to stock up for my hols. Its a great invention, especially if you're going Ryanair. Leaves room for some knickers!
S

Little_Miss_Wh

Hi all just found this thread and glad I did.I'm an avid reader, read all sorts but probably more crime thrillers now. Favourite authers Tess Gerristen, Karin Slaughter, Karen Rose, Harlan Coben, Linda Fairstein but best one JD Robb who writes futuristic crime with detailed gory bits and has a delicious OH called Roarke.(I can dream).I cant wait for library waiting list so I buy these and then pass them on to my library always from Amazon. At present reading downstairs Paul O'Grady at "my mothers knee"..good chuckles and upstairs Phillippa Gregory "The Other Queen" light history similar to G.Heyer. Waiting for new Tess Gerristen delivery due in 14days.
Loved the Kite Runner disliked The Lovely Bones(didn't like the way it was written).Spent 24 yrs in Public Library service read anything and everything.Chris XX

ChoccieMuffin

Bought a new John Grisham, and enjoyed it. The Confession.

Currently working my way through a Stephen Fry, but head's not coping with reading very well at the mo.

Wandy

Bumping cos its got lost!

loupylou

Loved 'The Help', now reading 'The crimson petal and the white' as I didn't catch all of the recent BBC serialisation.

scottishlass

bump....how is the reading going? Any new books you are enjoying?

scottishlass

I bought my copy of "Fall of Giants" from the hospital charity book trolley when I went to see my Oncologist. Picked up a few other good books too. Will let you know how they go.
But I just cannot wait to get into bed and get on to the next chapter to see what happens. So surely this is the makings of a good read. It is an EASY READ though so don't be put off. Also all the characters are listed at the front of the book so if you forger who "Beau" is, you can easy see who it is instead of looking back for the name in the previous chapters. Love to all fellow Bcc book group readers. Love Val

cromercrab

Follett is the reason why everyone needs a Kindle lol

Wandy

Moley J,

I have read 'The 5 people you meet in Heaven' by Mitch Albom.V good,haven't read any others. Will give them a go.

Wandyx

GIJaneH

Hi Wandy - yes, I've read all the Cadfael novels... love 'em.... could re-read I suppose.... Just finished Mitch Albom's "You got to have faith" which is biographical and inspirational.... as is his "Tuesdays with Morrie"... Like Ken Follett when I'm well... wonder if I could cope with the weight of the tome at the moment? I feel a bit picky today... food.. books... life... and why not?? can't taste anything/eat... hate this phase... cream tea? Next week maybe!!

Wandy

I love this thread!!
I really love Ken Follet's hooge epic tales and until I read the above post, scottishlass, (thank you!!), I didn't even know there was this new one 'Fall of giants' and its out in paperback on 3rd June as I've just discovered having gone to Amazon, for those who don't want the hardback!!

Wandyx

hipchick

Kef Follett, Ken Follett, mmm, mmm, Good, good.

scottishlass

Just started "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett. A word of warning though it is 800pages long. I started it a few nights ago and cannot put it down and have now reached page 200. Set in the early 1900 and starts in Wales but crosses all over Europe and the world. I just picked up the book to have a look as I like Ken Follett. It doesn't disappoint. Cannot wait to get back to it! Love Val

moser

Hipchick I agree. The Help is fantastic.

sweetanimo

Ooh only just found this thread! Great idea!

Also have Kindle but read "proper" books too. Just finished 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' - quite entertaining if you are into correct punctuation but treated in a lighthearted way.

One of my favourite books is 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind - truly different and totally engrossing! I think it's been done as a film. Have also really enjoyed nearly twenty or so books by Tess Gerritsen - medical crime thrillers, easy but well written and addictive!

Will look at finding your recommendation Finty, sounds intriguing. Also loved the Kite Runner and A 1000 SS!!
Might just have to go to bed now and get lost in one!
Xx

Wandy

Moley J

Have you read Ellis Peters, 'Cadfael' novels? 11th century herbalist medical monk solves crimes. Really good. Derek Jacobi played them in a tv adaptation, there are however, more books than tv series. Both are brilliant!.

Wandyx

cromercrab

i have just this minute finished the last duchess. good escapism

GIJaneH

Hi Jackx . I was interested in your "crime thriller writers" who I've not come across... are they grisly thrillers, or more detective things? Love Donna Leon and Sara Paretsky and Ian Rankin and those sorts of books...

Recently read The Last Duchess by Daisy Goodwin, which was good, but the best read recently was by Ariana Franklin - The Mistress of Death is the first - I just read the second.... female forensic doctor in the middle ages!! Fascinating and compulsory... Jane

hipchick

The best book I've read in a long while is The Help. Touted as after gone with the wind but it's not. Set in the 60's in Mississippi, the story of The Help, black maids for white women, in a time of great change in America. Very uplifting and not heavy. Just brilliant.

tors

Have bought the first jean auld book, this series had passed me by so i am really looking forward to it! But first i'm reading my new sookie book which was out yesterday. Must tidy up, but my books are dragging me away....

Wandy

Am reading Louis de Bernieres, 'Notwithstanding'. Delightful, easy reading for chemo and rads and general hospital brains!

Also felt this great thread needed to be bumped!

Wandyx

cromercrab

lol charlotte! I have noticed that also. It's when you see that plot line in so many things on TV. At first my OH and son cast worried looks in my direction when C was mentioned. now it's met with 'of course they would have to have that wouldn't they!' Its our black sense of humour I guess.
x sarah

sarah68

Thanks to Sarah (Cromercrab)! And to SCACO who started thread.

Just received World without End today. Wow! That's some doorstop of a book - should keep me busy! Will report back with "ratings"!

All the best to all on here!

Sarahxx

charlotte_e

start chemo in 2 days and have just ordered loads of books from the library, so have a big pile of books to keep me going.
Just one bug bear tho.... why in books are sad characters sad because their loved one died of cancer... normally breast.. dont authors know any other causes!!!

jackx

I have been enjoying reading through all your recomended reads so I thought I would add some of mine.

Linwood Barclay Crime thriller writer
No time for goodbye
Fear the worst
Too close to home

Rosamund Lupton Crime thriller writer
Sister

Diane Chamberlain thriller
The lost daughter

All Jodie Picoult books

I have just started Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Happy reading!!

Jackie

horace

Thanks for the Kate Morton recommendation-just downloaded The Forgotten Garden ready for my holidays 🙂

hipchick

Love this thread

I'm reading Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende, borrowed from my daughter. Really enjoying it. I've read lots of the books mentioned here and am about to get a Kindle from my son so hope to catch up on some free classics. I recently did the BBC reading list test that swooped around Facebook and had read 50 out of the 100 mentioned, so plenty to go at. There's a great charity book stall near the caf in Maidstone hosp where I've picked up really good books for 50p. I recycle and take them back again. You see there's always a silver lining, chemo = more time for reading.

scottishlass

"The Mirror and the Light" is the proposed title for the new book that she is still writing. Great what you can find out on the laptop if only you have the time....like I do. Hope it comes out soon for you Finty. Not sure I have the concentration for a long read just now. Val X

finty

Val I've just read the Guardian review - it does mention a sequel so maybe we'll be lucky! Fingers crossed. x

Midge

Hi

I found we need to talk about Kevin v disturbing, same with The lovely bones. The Time Travellers wife, just left me feeling very sad.

Loved The curious incident of the dog and the nighttime- think that's the title, and also the ninth life of Louis Drax again hope that is the title- Chemo brain still I am afraid.

The Book Thief, was very interesting and moving at times.

My year 5 class loved Holes by Louis Sachar and recommend it to anyone with kids around the age of 9 or over, boys or girls.

Oh and totally different, but so interesting, Oliver Sacks, anthropologist books, The man who thought his wife was a hat.
Debx

scottishlass

Viv, have you read "the Blood is strong" by Richenda Francis. I recommended it a couple of pages back. It is set in Scotland during the clearances> I have read many books around this period but I liked this one and it is a very easy read. Also the news presenter John Mackay has written a few books which are really GREAT also set in Scotland. The first is "The Road Dance" and the book following it is "Heartland". These are set in the Outer Hebrides. Give them a try. Again they are easy reads.
Finty, I got the info from the Guardian newspaper article but as I am never certain what the press write at the best of times I am not surprised if you say there is no sequel. I often think that books have an unsatisfactory ending.....as if the author cannot write any more....and the story dwindles away.
Overcast here today...so perhaps get some more reading done....but have to go to visit my Mum first. Val

finty

Hi Val

No I don't think there will be a sequel to Wolfhall - much as I would love one. It does stop rather abruptly, so perhaps I'm wrong, and I do wish it had seen the central character through to the end of his life (don't want to spoil it for you by saying any more if you plan to read it). But the author isn't known for sequels - she makes the books even longer if she has more to say and I think it was about 700 pages already!

finty x

vivrog

Just read 'The hand that first held mine' by Maggie O'Farrell and just loved it. My favourite books of the moment though are the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldan. These are set in 18th Century Scotland and in the 1960's too so a bit of time travel. They are very long books but I just get lost in them.

I too got a Kindle for Xmas and love it. I do use it as well as not instead of books....especially as the Diana Gabaldan books are not on Kindle yet!

Viv xx

scottishlass

Hi CM. I read the book you mention above and was in 2 minds about it too and still am.
Hi Daddodil, I agree that the 2 Hosseini books are great. I read the "1000 Splendid Suns" first and is one of my favourite books. I enjoyed "the Kite Runner" too and it is still a good read but not as great as the "1000 S S".
I love this thread especially as I can refer to it anytime because if someone recommends a new author in the passing I can never recall the name. I am a bit stuck in the book I am currently reading. Not sure if it is beacuse I am so sleepy by the time I get to be.....or if it is just holding my attention."Flash House" by Aimie Lee. Anyone else read it?

ChoccieMuffin

Daffodil, how odd that you've recommended The Time Traveller's Wife - the reason I'm up late this morning is that I was lying in bed finishing it! Not quite sure what I thought about it, but I didn't hate it.

scottishlass

I haven't read Wolfhall so looked up a review on Google. To those who loved the book do you know there is to be a sequel coming?

finty

Daffodil - my bookclub loved We need to talk about Kevin too. The film is out soon I think, but not sure if I want to see it - maybe a little too harrowing.

Cromercrab - glad there's another Wolfhall fan - I rarely make book recommendations to friends but this is one I can't stop talking about.

fintyx

cromercrab

I read wolfhall too, absolutaly stunning read.
The Forgotten garden, Kate Morton. I reckon I have read most of the stuff by this author. Great to lose yourself in.

daffodil3969

Hi all, am in a book club with about 12 or so mums from the school and am in any event a pretty prolific reader anyway. Can I let you know that some of the best books we read were:-
1. Kite runner, Khaled Hosseini, the most thought provking amazing book which I thought would never be bettered until I read 1000 splendid suns by the same author. if you havent already read them then give them a go and I am jealous that youve got them ahead of you!!
2. The Time travellers wife, by Audrey niffeneger (and I also loved her follow up,"Her fearful symmetry") was a book that if you persevered really rewarded you and was so totally different to anything Id read before, but the film version was totally rubbish so dont let that put you off.
3."We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Schriver was the first book we read as a group and has yet, 4 years on not been beaten for debate and discussion. again different from anything else Id read, touches something in everyone whi has had a child and is all about nature-v-nurture.
Anyway those are my top tips!!

finty

You'll love Wolfhall, Wandy - I couldn't put it down, although it takes a while to adjust to her style, particularly with speech. It's a cliche to say that books make history come alive, but in this case it is entirely apt. Wonderful. fintyx

Wandy

Oooh yes, finty, "Birdsong", a masterpiece and have just started Wolfhall.

Wandyx

finty

Caroline - I loved the Vera Brittain books too - but very sad. Have you tried the Sebastian Faulkes war books?

Current favourite - Wolfhall by Hilary Mantel - complete masterpiece.

ChoccieMuffin

Bother. Back to paper, I've managed to break the screen on my Kindle!