Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

book club

154 REPLIES 154
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: book club

All have a go at ME BEFORE YOU by JOJO MOYES. Its a lovely book which had I not read on my Kindle and had a book group I would never have read because it has a pink cover and is written by someone called Jojo!
I defy anyone not to get something from this book, I never ahd the depth of feeling some in my group did, but did think it was great and felt better for reading it.

scottishlass

Just read today that Nicci French is actually 2 people, a husband and wife team who write the books together.

I have just started a new book today that I picked up from the hospital "The Best Exotic marigold Hotel". My friend said the film was great. I had started another book but was falling asleep each time I picked it up....not a great sign....but as I was 4 hours getting 2 units of blood this afternoon, perhaps I won't be falling asleep so quickly now with the added red cells in my system! Keep this thread going. Great for new ideas. Val

gill13

Hello, just spotted this thread, I bought myself a kindle in Jan (thought i deserved a treat) I currently have about 4 books waiting to read on it, but since being off work people keep bringing me books and i hate to say no 🙂

Before i go to Sleep - SJ Watson, is really good, (aparantly has been made into a film too)

Also love Nicci French, S of C - thats 3 recommendations so defo worth a read

I can't comment about a Kobo, i just stuck with a kindle as its so easy to buy your books (or get free ones) from Amazon

Gill x

katytc

Love Nicci French, have read all her/his books and loved the TV series, Secret Smile. Does anyone know about a KOBO? Are they worth it or should you stick with the kindle? xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Sue, the thread is not very active...

Have not heard of any of these people, must have a mooch on amazon....

samos

Why have I only just found this thread??

I'm a book girl too, but treated myself to a Kindle 3G for the free worldwide 3G access, not because I wanted an e-reader. But what a good decision, so much so I've got the new Kindle Touch 3G on pre-order. Gadget girl? Me?

Who do I love, well Banks, Lee and Kellerman for starters, and I'll throw in:
James Ellroy
Alafair Burke
Philip Kerr
George Pelecanos
Mo Hayder
Colin Bateman
Gregg Horwitz
Carl Hiaasen
David Kessler
Nicci French

In no particular order, and sorry I can't recall which books I've read, but they are on my hit list of authors, carried around on a scrap of paper!

Sue x

Guest user
Not applicable

I've got a Kindle as a gift when starting chemo - I was not sure I would want one as I am a proper book kinda girl too, but now love it!

Living in Denmark, it allows me to buy any book (well, almost!) at a reasonable price and have it instantaneously - oh the gratification!

Loved the Help! Now reading the second part of Hunger Games. The first was OK, and I would not have bothered with the rest (it is more for teenagers) but as I bought them as a bundle. Her writer is OK if the subject is not riveting.

moser

Have considered a kindle - but I read a lot in the bath lol which I think is not a good place for it- also love my real books - like to gloat over them! Just bought "Pure" by Andrew Miller for no other reason than it looks good according to the blurb - but it will have to wait until I have finished "Before the Poison" by Peter Robinson (I have read all the "Banks" series but this is a stand-alone. Am enjoying it. Get very bad-tempered if can't get my fix of reading for any reason!

pesteringpixie

Hello

I read an awful lot and have just downloaded the whole series of The Barchester Chronicles onto my ipod to pass the chemo hours!

PP

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Girls

I had a kindle for Christmas and love it. Great if I forget my glasses or can't find them as just enlarge the font size.

Have read some Donna Leon. Really love Leslie Pearce, Charlotte Bingham, and Victoria Hislop she wrote The Island which I think is one of the best reads I have had for a long time.

OH loves PJ Tracey.

xxx Ducky

ps Kate Morton is also a good read

GIJaneH

Real books and Kindle both have their place, I think. I've just topped up on Ian Rankin books from charity shops, but am away for a few days with the kindle. Lots of books in a small, light place! My OH bought it for me during chemo cause the steroids affected my vision, and you can increase the font size. It enabled me to keep reading, for which I shall be eternally grateful. Just reading Candace Robb - medieval who submits, lovely characters

Edit : not 'who submits' - "who dunnits" surer!

katytc

Kathryn Stockett wrote The Help, tempted by a kindle but do like paper books, just doesn't seem the same xx

libby_2010

Came to this thread a bit late but who wrote 'The Help'? Have read The Slap but it drove me up the wall.
Penny Vincenzi all her novels (tomes) have had me captivated
My daughter had a kindle for Christmas and as she is nursing her babe ( my grand daughter) in the wee small hours finds this best as when she was reading a book dozed off and the book fell on babe's head Oh dear.
So thinking a Kindle could be the way to go on a train journey but really like paper.Glad I found this thread

moser

The Help is deffo one of the best reads I have had over the last year. Want to read The Slap, but OH has lent it to someone- grrr!

libby_2010

Have struggled to lose myself in a book for ages with all this BC malarky but my daughter has been reading some Lee Child books and passed them on to me.A good read and was absorbed in them note to self never have a coffee with Jack Reacher. The 1st 2 books I read started with him having a coffee and minding his own business.....

katytc

Now reading Pray for Silence, Linda Castillo, have not read any of her books before, love thrillers xx

sheil

I recently finished Daughters in Law too. Quite liked it but my favourite of hers is still Other People's Children.

Have also recently finished We Need to Talk about Kevin, which I was a bit reluctant to start as somebody said it was a bit dark, which it certainly was but I do like the way Lionel Shriver writes. Makes me glad I've got a Kindle as I do need to look up meaning of about 2 words every page.

Currently reading Me Before You, Jojo Moyes, a bit young and wouldn't rave about it, but I will finish it which I don't always.

Must try The Help, its been on my bookshelf for a while.

I do like to see what others are reading and think.

S
X

moser

Have just finished Joanna Trollope's "Daughter in Law". I think it's one of her better ones. Tried Vasilly Grossman's "Life and Fate" from library but didn't get on with it and then it was reserved when I tried to renew it. Anyone read it? I read more or less anything - really like Lee Child and also Faye Kellerman. Read jeffrey Archer's new one (amazingly quite good, don't actually like Archer at all from past reading).

katytc

Saw the documentary regarding Casey Anthony and the murder of her 3 year old daughter Caylee, couldn't understand why she was found innocent so bought the book.

mfb

Can't believe I didn't mention the books by John Grisham and John Le Carre....great reads,

Sx

GIJaneH

If you like Ian Rankin (and I do) you might also like DONNA LEON - detective stories set in Venice -great characters, and an easy read.

The best books I've read recently were ARIANA FRANKLIN.... Mistress of the art of Death - sounds awful, but it's actually a sort of detective story, set in the middle ages, where the main character is a woman doctor (unheard of!) trained in Salerno and brought to England.. her skill is forensics so you have all the usual stuff plus the overlay of being an educated woman in Middle Age England (where you could be burnt at the stake). Brilliant. Only three novels in the series, then the author died - I want MORE!!!

I agree THE HELP was fab too... I'm half way through THE BOOK THIEF, which seems brilliant but is so NOT bed-time reading, and I couldn't have coped with it while I was in treatment...

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Tors, is the book version of True blood sufficiently different than the series not to be boring? I enjoy the series and in book form I can blot out that annoying fake southern accent Sookie sports!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello

Just got Sharon Penmans Devil's Brood, the final book in her trilogy of Henry II and Eleanore Of Aquitaine. Very much enjoyed the first two called Time and Chance and When Christ and his Saints slept.

Alanaa

Cackles

Yep I agree, Ian Rankins's Rebus series are a great read as are Cornwall's Sharpe stories. All very easy yet you want more. Perfect for chemo.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I love james patterson, ive read most of his books. Now reading Private Games. Also like books by tess gerritson ( thrillers)

Gillx

ive just got 'mums list' by singe green

mfb

The Rebus series by Ian Rankin - brilliant especially if you have any knowledge of Edinburgh.
Jack Reacher series by Lee Child - adventures of an ex-US MP ironically written by a Brit - about 16 or so in total now
Tom Rob Smith trilogy starting with Child 44 - about Russia in the Cold Wars but very cleverly written.
Husband very into James Patterson but can't comment as yet....

Maeve Binchey always good for a read....

So many many more.....

Sxx

tors

My favourite books are currently the Sookie Stackhouse series (true blood is loos key based on them) but the hunger games trilogy is really good too, I could not put them down at all. The films out this month.

scottishlass

Just finished "The London Train" by TESSA HADLEY. (I thought while reading that these were two short stories....I do not like short stories....but the stories are separate but linked. Easy read. Very good too.

PAUL TORDAY's books. Don't bother.....read one and half of another. The best bit about these books was the graphics on the cover!

Guest user
Not applicable

I am always after good reads!

I will have a look at Lee Child books. Just finished the first 2 of the Millennium series - you know, the Girl with the Dragon tatoo fame. It was 'OK' read.

Now found a book about HeLa cells - I did not know what they were (biology is not my strong point). It is the life of Henrietta Lacks who's cancer cells are 'immortal'. Only read the excerpt, but it looks well written and a fascinating subject!

Guest user
Not applicable

That's brilliant Dawn I am the same too. I miss reading and have so many to read I am going to try again today. Hope I have a bit if look. Best wishes to everyone x

dawnhc

I can't believe I go to bed with Harry Potter LOL. For years chemo has robbed me of binge reading. I used to read and read and read, then I would need a break till the next binge took over. But I found after chemo I have never been able to concentrate long enough to sit down with a good book. The other day at the hospital I was looking through their used books - you can buy them for 30p-50p and I saw the first five Harry Potter books and have found I can't put one down once I started. My daughter reckons she got tired of them after the 3rd one cos it was just more of the same. But I am hoping I have broken the (chemo) spell.

Dawn
xx

scottishlass

Moser, Glad you enjoyed Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. Have you read any of his other books?
For those who have read.....
"ROOM" by EMMA DONOGHUE...I have recently read another by her called "SLAMMERKIN". Totally different genre. You wouldn't guess it was written by same author. About a family in London....prostitutes....but a really well written book that had me hooked.
"THE SANDALWOOD TREE" by ELLE NEWMARK set in 1947 in India.
"THE NAMING OF ELIZA QUINN" BY CAROL BIRCH...3 periods in Irish history.
"A GATHERING STORM" by Rachel Hore...set in Cornwall.

These are just a few of the books I have recently read and enjoyed. If you want more info just ask. Sometimes just a title helps and you can look them up later on the web pages.

Love to all avid readers like me. Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Have just ordered the latest JD Robb but have found Lee Child (english author)Jack Reacher series (ex uS marine)can't get them quick enough. Definitely "don't talk to me I'm reading". Have a collection on my kindle for whenever but hard copies first for me still. Chris

katytc

Just finished The Help, looking forward to seeing the movie and am now wading through Sue Graftons books, am up to P, easy reads, xx

moser

Bumping this thread...

Great books I've read lately are the trilogy by Tom Rob Smith that starts with Child 44. Just about to finish the last one, Agent 6.

Fall of Giants is fantastic!

A book I've recently re-read from my childhood and which is still as magical for me is "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. An inspirational book for me.

Midge

The Help was a good holiday read and have just started One day as my second holiday book.

Dx

Wandy

Bumping.

What has everyone been reading this summer???

Am addicted to JD Robb's 'In Death' series. Easy chemo reading! but have also read , Sarah Rayner's One Moment One Morning. A bit sad and poignant but also an easy chemo brain read!

Wandyx

scottishlass

bumping this up. I see there is another thread started now re books.

Eliza

I have just found this thread - what a delight.

I know what you mean. CM, sometimes I'm just compelled to keep reading things I'd have put down in the shop if only they weren't free on iBooks! Seriously though, ebooks give me the opportunity to take far more books away on holiday or business trips than is practical with restricted luggage weights for whatever reason. On holiday, I just take real ones for reading on the beach. They will never take the place of 'real' books but have a different use.

At the moment I am particularly enjoying the real book that my sister gave me for my birthday. It is 'Cousins Divided' by Ann Morrow and is the story of George V of Great Britain and Nicholas II of Russia in the time leading up to the Russian Revolution. It is easy to read and has some lovely lines in it.

Eliza

nymeria

I read "Snowflake and the Secret Fan" a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

N x

ragamuffin

I agree re the free books - some are such a load of rubbish!

Lisa See's "Snowflake and the Secret Fan" is a good read -read it last year pre kindle.
D x

nymeria

LOL CM you are so right about the free Kindle books on Amazon! I have read more rubbish since January than I have done for years. You have to be so selective - there is good stuff to be found but you really do have to search for it carefully!

Sheil - you can get a cover that has a reading light on it. Not the same as backlit but it does help. Mind you they aren't cheap - I got my OH to buy me one as a recent birthday present.

I love my Kindle but I really do need to wean myself off the pulp fiction! 🙂

For those of you who like the effort taken out of finding the latest free books on Amazon this is worth checking regularly - http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/free/

Nymeria x

ChoccieMuffin

The free e-books on Kindle are a two-edged sword. I've read a load more rubbish than I normally would. For example, I have just finished a book called "Broken Angel" and I would recommend you don't expend the effort required to download it, let alone read the thing. A massive heap of tripe. I kept reading waiting for it to improve, and it just didn't.

But being a skinflint it's so tempting to try to "save money" by reading the free books. S'pose you get what you pay for...

Guest user
Not applicable

Read 3 books on holiday last week - the one that I couldn't put down although probably not something I would usually have chosen (was a Times book offer) was The Passage by Justin Cronin. Found myself dreaming about the story and desperate to get back to it to see what happened next!

sheil

I know how you all feel about books, I thought I'd never go electronic, but OH bought me one for xmas and it really is great. Positives are battery life, seems to go on for ever, the one handed thing - really good on a cold winter night and you only need to have one hand out the covers. I also use it for research, sad person that I am have lots of studies on lobular, bilateral, multifocal, blah blah. I cherry picked all the ones that said these are not gonna kill you.

Down side I think is lack of an optional backlight. I know it would use battery but would keep OH happy when I can't sleep and need to read. And as I'm a skinflint and usually bought second hand books, the price of most kindle books are not as cheap. I've read they may go down with greater use, here's hoping. Lots of free ones though. My chum's half way through her free version of War and Peace.

I'm probably half and half, still read books especially if I can get them cheap, but for holidays its fab.

S

S

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all. I'm torn about the kindle versus book thing to. Tempted because being able to change print size but won't then be able to swap with my best mate, nor help my local library keep up to date.
Wandy have you read any Lisa Gardner they are unbelieveable, a can't put down, just one more page job and its 2 o'clock in the morning. Each one story in own right but they are linked like JD Robb so best to start at the beginning gets better and better as series continues.

Wandy

Scaco,

Know what you're saying about kindles/books of future etc...but I love books. love the smell, love the feel, love the covers etc..Will probs succomb and get a kindle just cos they are soooooo convenient etc but don't want to lose the whole book thing as well...she sighed...being dragged into the 21st century!!

Wandyx

GIJaneH

I too bought a Kindle and love it. I'm finding that my eyesight changes, and some days I can't read for long.. the Kindle allows me to increase the font size! So I can carry on for longer... (apparently the eyes will return to normal after chemo - it's the steroids evidently).... just enjoyed some Donna Leon... must look at Fall of Giants.... Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Fall of Giants is really - don't be put off by the size.

Wandy - Kindles are the books of the future! It's great to be able to download a new book at any time. The only thing i do find tricky is actually choosing a book in the Kindle shop, being as there are no covers nothing will jump out at you although there is a bestseller list and personal suggestions. They're also great in bed, (i mean being able to read them in a comfy position, propped up on a pillow whilst you're snuggled under the duvet - nothing naughty!! (that's a whole different genre))

Just read: I Left My Tent in San Fransisco by Emma Kennedy. It's good but didn't make me roar with laughter like her first.

x

scottishlass

Hi all, I am on holiday and have read lots. Will do a report on them when I am home. Too busy being on holiday.
I finished Fall of Giants and LOVED it. Will compare noted later if anyone has finished it. Val