brca genes.

I have my first appointment at the genetics clinic in October after being classed as high risk. I don’t know what to expect? Any stories? :slight_smile:

You’ll probably have to fill in a very detailed form with details of all relatives who have had a cancer diagnosis (and those who haven’t).  Maybe you’ve already done this?  My geneticist effectively drew a family tree highlighting the incidence of various cancers in the family.  She then needed to obtain a blood sample from surviving relatives who have had cancer and various permissions to obtain samples of tumours from relatives who are no longer alive.  I also gave a blood sample so that genetic analysis could be done.  In my case I started on this route before I was even diagnosed with BC because of a strong family history of bowel, ovarian and brain cancer.  So finding a BRCA1 genetic variation was almost a side-issue.

In my case, the initial process took many months as the analysis is so detailed and it is still going on (over 4 years later) as my case is reviewed periodically so that any new research findings can be applied.

One thing to be aware of is that the process may be inconclusive - it’s not necessarily  a simple “positive/negative” test.  I have a BRCA1 Variation of Unknown Significance.  This has been proven to be inherited from my dad (the ‘cancer’ side of the family, but no BC apart from me).  However, we do not know if it is pathogenic so I don’t know whether a prophylactic mastectomy is advisable or not (have already had a left mastectomy because of BC). 

Which genetics clinic are you going to?  I’m under the care of the Genetics Clinic at the Churchill, Oxford and cannot speak highly enough of the professionalism and efficiency of my geneticist.    

Hi Lucylilyoliver and welcome to the BCC forums

Here a link to the family history information on this site which may be helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/noticed-any-changes/family-history-assessment

Our helpliners are also on hand with further support on 0808 800 6000 so do feel free to call to talk any queries through, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC