cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

breast injury leads to cancer?

48 REPLIES 48
horace

Re: breast injury leads to cancer?

My aunty was leaning over a fence feeding a carrot to a horse.Unfortuately the ungrateful equine took a big bite at aunty's[44G] boob.Many years later she developed bc in that breast and subsequently died.She felt it was related to the bite but all the doctors said definitely not.It makes you think though.In my case I had cysts for over 30 years[regular fna]and believed there was a correlation between them and my bc but according to docs cysts are usually hormonal and my bc was tn.
Interesting thread.
V[I just said today that I was leaving the forums for good!]

AngieW

I think it's circumstance. You just happened to hit your breast in the area and found a lump. Or you put a band aid on where your underwire bra rubs and you found a lump.

ethlydsyl

thanx djoo7-went ok x

DJ007

Good luck Stella!!!

ethlydsyl

enaid46-hope you didn't wear your yellow wellingtons as well !!!!! was very interested in this post-as my boobs are quite large and i sit with my laptop on my lap (!)i have been wondering secretly if that was why i got bc-i'll put that worry to bed now-as i have lots of worries since finding this fab site-off to see the oncologist today-wish me luck-stella x

moser

I think that for some, there may be something in the "injury" possibility - This sounds really stupid but a couple of years before I was dx I ran without a bra and really jolted my left boob - which needless to say is the one that developed the bc. Had quite bad mastitis after this but because I was on holiday abroaad did not seek treatment and it was better by the time I came home. Have often wondered whether this was a factor... but will never know, I guess.

enaid46

hi all
came in on the tail end of this post. I believe that there are many factors that can trigger the growth of breast cells [which we must remember are unable to be seen by eye they are so tiny]
environmental factors such as trauma may exacerbate the growth of faulty cells [but they were faulty in the first place]
I have been told that one of mine may have been there 10 years -good god ! I have been through loss of pregnancies ,death of close family memebers and bumped myself everywhere as I am clumsy and have an active life with two kids and dog !I work in a very stressful occupation [with breast cancer ladies to name but a few]
I do believe that to help us we need to do everything in moderation ie stress,exercise ,diet,lower alcohol -no smoking and this will give us the best chance !
I quite like a heated debate -so long as everyone feels listened to .I agree that we cant see each other and therefore comments can be misconstrued- I have read everyones post here and feel that noone is really out to upset anyone else and we all need give each other a little slack..... Im now going out for a Mcdonalds whilst smokng a cigar and swigging my whiskey !!!![LOL]

muffett

I must admit, I orignally thought this as several months before being Dx my dog well more like a donkey in size jumped up me and caught my boob, it was black and purple bruised... food for thought!

ChoccieMuffin

Or could it be as someone said, that it was there unnoticed until an injury (or tea spillage!) causes you to look at the area a bit more closely?

vee

Hi Midge I take your point but the cancer has to be there in the first place for it to grow. Of course cancer cannot be caused by impact, but I do believe it is exacerbated by it if the cancerous cells are there to start with.

Midge

Hi

If it was trauma, wouldn't boxers, martial arts practitioners, be at increased risk of cancers along with anyone with any impact injury, surgery, invasive dentistry. I am not dismissing the idea altogether, but if feels way more complicated.

I vividly remember an old cleaner ( male, irish in his 60''s- lol) at a school I worked at in London, warning me years ago not to wear my bras too tight, as it would give me cancer and low and behold I go and get it 15 years later on the ridge under my breast where my (poorly fitting) underwire bra used to sit. I have since discovered that despite the number of women wearing underwired bras, this is an unusual place to get it and of all the things I blame for my bc, my bras is not one of them.

As for the comments on the thread, I hope we don't forget just how big and heavy our bag of hammers can be on some days. There are times I cannot even look at this site for fear I will explode, cry, climb under my duvet or start an argument. Please can we give each other the benefit of the doubt, because I really hope no one would
deliberately mean to hurt someone else's feelings, but we do not know each others life circumstances, so comments are easily misunderstood.

Ps my grandmother who died of bc had a wooden leg, her family thought the bc was because she fell a lot, my mum thought it was because she worried a lot. Who knows? Stress, trauma.? Shouldn't every war casualty have it?

Debx

vee

To get back to the original post....I remember my grandmother being very concerned as she had bumped her breast and bruised it and was worried about cancer, this was back in the 60's. She never contracted the disease though and yet I used to do homecare for a lady who had been knocked over by a car and she died shortly after from lung cancer, which hadn't been diagnosed at the time of the accident. The mother of a friend died from lung cancer a few months after falling backwards heavily on an icy pavement. My mother died from from liver cancer 10 days after being diagnosed after going through an awful lot of stress and upset in her life. I don't think these accidents or incidents caused the cancer but I do believe that any cancer that is in the body can be triggered by trauma.

Ninja

Gingerbud, I wasn't going to post on here any more but...

I'm sorry you feel like you do, it's a shame when we are all in the same boat and need helping hands.
I didn't mean to sound flippant and you read it wrongly.

I was upset by your reply to the leg cancer comment because it has personally affected my friend, and thought your retort was a little flippant, too. My friend with the leg cancer - she was in her 20s and has been through hell and back - her GP refused to refer her for 6 months, just gave her ibuprofen, wouldn't listen. The cancer started in her knee bone but then spread to her whole leg. By that time, it was too late and her leg was amputated above the knee very quickly to save her life.

I have apologised already in my post above.
The last thing I want is to fall out with anybody, please can we move forwards and not hold a grudge.

I hope this doesn't lead to any more upset; I'm having a very tearful day today.

oldandlumpy

I have not found anything offensive in the posts on this thread. Just a matter of style. There are people who disagree with my daft ideas on this post that have agreed with things I said on other matters. Its all part of healthy debate, and yes sometimes its hard to get the right tone when you rattle off a reply.

there was a thread on diet once that got so heated the moderators had to come in and tell everyone to calm down and treat each other with respect, dont think this thread has got anywhere near that.

Biff

Eltticks: I must have cancer of the arse cheeks, sat here on this laptop all day... just made me laugh and nearly choke on my coffee xx

My friend who got leg cancer and now has an artificial limb would say "yes": I read this comment and didn't get any nastiness from it- a question was asked and an answer given- I don't post regularly but felt I had to on this as no malice was meant . When I joined the forum the first thing I noticed was that everyone was honest in their posts - why hide anything ? what's the point of a forum and posting questions then? I mean is honesty not the best "medicine" ?

elttiks

Ta.

DJ007

Ont wishing to put my own interpretation on anyone elses comments, but...

I think we can all be a little over-sensitive at times. The problem with written communications is that it can't be put in context with the person's tone of voice or expression. So I'm sure that sometimes, what was intended to be a matter of fact, or even a light-hearted, comment can appear brusque or harsh in black and white!

Hugs to anyone that needs one.
Dx

oldandlumpy

drat!!! I knew I should not wear yellow wellies to bed when drinking tea

hazelmary

Gingerbud,

I totally agree with your last comment regarding how we post. I have been using this site for 8 years and after reading some on the posts yesterday felt a little bit shocked in how some of the posts were a little impolite to say the least.

We all have bad days, some more than most but if something gets to us move on to the next post, you don't need to comment.

Gingerbud

Just to clarify, my post said that in my opinion, injury 'may be a factor' not a direct, single cause etc etc. I really don't think we can compare the breasts to legs Btw but that's just my opinion.... And bless u ettilks (sp?)- bone cancer in the leg is a very different thing to leg cancer...
There are ways + means of sharing opinions in a polite + unpatronising way (as i did)- after all we are all in this together. Sadly, it's becoming increasingly common on here to be shouted down by members who find it necessary to be rude. In my opinion, there is no place for bad attitudes on these forums.

Lulu34

surely having surgery is the biggest trauma or injury to your body so you would think that we would all get recurrent cancer after surgery or loads of other cancers from everywhere we have had operations.

i have broken my left ankle twice, ribs once, right hand and right ring finger and today broken my left big toe... but no cancers in those places. i did have a breast abcess from being really crap at breast feeding but the cancer wasnt in the same place at the abcess.

i do know people who have had cancer in the same place as an injury but just like lots of things in life coincidences happen.... i think for many people they are so keen to find a reason they got Bc or any cancer for that matter but really we still have no clue to the cause of most of them.

i think its a bit like the stress theory so many people say they think stress causes BC but different people deal with stressful situations in different ways and what one person finds stressful somebody else may not.... but for pretty much everybody the most stressful thing they have had to deal with is getting breast cancer so you would expect us all to have recurrences whereas the majority will be cancer free for the rest of their life.

big loves Lulubelle xxx

elttiks

My dog died from bone cancer, to the leg.
I'd love a plasma tv, a diet coke maccys d's or even a bottle of bio oil, but I can't, i'm skint!
Bless you Gingerbud, but at least spare a thought for some!

oldandlumpy

i dont think the original artical every suggested that one knock would cause cancer. it just said that if a cell needs to repair itself there is a small posibilty that the dna goes wrong and cancer starts, and if the same spot gets constantly injured then there is a bigger chance that cancer will start there.

with me it is definately not that i got cancer and remember a horse kick, head but or whatever,(you only have two breasts its 50% chance that the cancer is the same side as a past injury)

It is the fact that when i got home from hospital and had my first cup of tea, I automatically put it in its normal place--right on top of the scar (ouch) it is a pint mug of piping hot tea and because of the angle of how i sit the edge digs into that place where the lump is. It has probably done some minor damage over the decades that it has rested there and along with all the other factors that make us sprout a tumor caused it to develop in that spot.

Ninja

Ginger - I'm sorry if you thought that I am being nasty - that was not my intention - I'm expressing my opinion, just exactly like you did.
And my friend did lose her leg due to leg cancer and it had never been previously knocked or injured.

I've had loads of serious injuries - but never in my boob but that's where I got cancer. There has been much research on this subject on the past and no connection has been medically proven.

When tragedy strikes, it is natural to try to find a reason. The bereaved person seeks someone to blame. Accidents happen. Sh*t happens. Cancer happens. It is my belief (MY belief, note) as a scientist/pragmatist that cancer cannot be always caused as a result of an injury, however, scientific research does demonstrate that a cancer can appear to be more apparent following an injury as one is more aware of the place where the injury occurred.

CheshireCheese

Gingerbud
I don't think Ninja was being nasty.

Gingerbud

Geez Ninja... is the nastiness really necessary?? I only shared my personal experience and opinion!
Thanks for reminding me why I have been giving the forums a very wide berth recently...!

Ninja

My friend who got leg cancer and now has an artificial limb would say "yes".

Gingerbud

Is there such a thing as leg cancer?? Just sharing my unfortunate experience. Im not really after a heated debate...

Ninja

OK - so I had a leg injury so "serious" that my leg was almost amputated at the thigh when I was 10.

Still no leg cancer...

DJ007

My chest and left boob got trampled on by a horse nearly three years ago. My tumour was in left breast - lobular grade 3, 5.5cm. I wondered if there was any link.
Dx

Gingerbud

In my case, I believe breast injury may well have been a factor. A couple of months before I was dx, I was up mega early with my baby and I banged my boob really hard on the sharp corner of our plasma tv (I was leaning round it to switch the plug on but was sleepy so mis-judged my lean!). Anyway, it really bloody hurt and it was really red and I remember thinking to myself, 'god I hope that doesnt cause bc...'. I was dx a few months later and the tumoutr was exactly in the same spot- I checked by looking at the height of the corner of the tv on my boob. The cancer was very fast growing grade 3 tnbc, and surgeon agreed it could have appeared within a month or so. I had been using bio oil quite regularly on my boobs since having the baby and Im sure I would have felt it sooner if it was there.
I also met another young tnbs lady who told me just a few months before her dx, she was on a night out and a yob threw a supersize macdonalds coke at her from a moving car, and it hit her in the chest so hard she was knocked over. the tumour was in the same place she had been bruised and sore for several weeks following that incident.
I knwo we all have minor knocks and bangs but I think there could be something in it when the breast injury is more serious...
Tina x

evie2007

hiya

I had recurrent infective mastitis in my left boob when breast feeding my first daughter and low and behold i ended up with cancer being diagnosed in that breast after my second child (12mts later). Often wonder as being 32 with no family history it seemed very strange.

S

mekalar

Hi Sarah yeah I read through that thread & it too reminded me of this its in my saved threads I'll bump it up some of the theories are just so laughable

CheshireCheese

There was a thread on here last year initiated by a ridiculous article in the Daily Mail (where else would it be?!) that claimed that the risk of breast cancer is double for women who wear yellow wellies. Gave everyone a great laugh!
Sarah x

mekalar

I feel this is all a myth too bit like the "I sat too near my TV with my underwire bra" I was punched accidently real hard in my left breast about 10 years ago SO WHY is my tumor in my right breast ? & left one clear (Please may that remain to be)

I think when we get diagnosed we want answers as to WHY we got it so will grip at anything to try & justify it ! I too have had one of those annoying hair absess under my right arm from shaving & when I went for a mammo 2 years ago the consultant was not concerned about it. I brought this up before my surgery as it still flares up now & then & I asked him to remove it if he thought it had anything to do with the BC I was assured it didn't & they left it well alone

I personally think there is alot of factors that trigger any cancer not just one. as ive said in other posts alot of it is down to the immune system not doing its job & lack of NK cell activity. If BC or any cancer for that matter was to do with impact of any sort the athletes, footballers, rugby players boxers etc ect would be riddled

ragamuffin

Elttiks

I love your sense of humour- nearly made me fall off my chair laughing!

I think all of us on these Forums must be brewing that cancer then!

poppy333

i had a private breast reduction 18 months ago,when i was told my dx, i said how long has it been there, and the amswer was prob up to 18months !!!!!!!!! my friend and i just looked at each other.

angiem

yes your spot on ninja. she may of had it well before the wardrobe incident, but the bang made her feel it more closeley, and then she discovered the lump she could well of had it months before

Ninja

Angie - the research I linked to tends to suggest that the cancer could always have been there, chugging along slowly and the bump could have made it make itself more known.
Maybe.

The small lumps under the armpit - doesn't everyone get those? They are in the epidermis. Cancer (except melanoma) isn't.
Devil's advocaat: do all teenagers who have bad acne go on to develop face cancer?

Yeah, cancer of the ar$e cheeks - "coffee - meet keyboard"

DaisyGirl

Oh Elttiks! I nearly spat my coffee out when I read your comment!

Nice one!

DaisyGirl xx

angiem

in old neighbour of mine some years ago, was moving a wardrobe, and it toppled hitting her boob.. a few months later she developes bc in that breast. could be a coincidence , or it could of been the bump that triggered it off.. either way.. she is still here today and im going back when my daughter was a toddler.. shes 32 now , ps cancer of the arse cheeks,, haha nearly fell off the sofa laughing bless ya xx

oldandlumpy

cancer of the arse cheeks --- I love this site, there is always something that makes me laugh

elttiks

I must have cancer of the arse cheeks, sat here on this laptop all day...

hjv123

lol Ninja, the comment about banging the baps really made me laugh. But i have been thinking since my diagnosis that i have often i the past had small lumps which come & go under the affected armpit. Was this connected or just coincidence. Probably never know but it does get u thinking. x

Lilac

I've heard this theory too, OAL, but I reckon it's a myth, for the same reasons as Ninja. About 10 months before I was diagnosed, I was in a wave pool on holiday. A man standing next to me was knocked off his feet and his head banged right into my boob which was very painful for a long time afterwards. But looking back, I remember I had been experiencing pain on and off on that side for some time before that - I just hadn't connected it with my breast but thought it was a pulled muscle in my chest. So I reckon I'd already had cancer for a while, just didn't realise it.

Lilac x

oldandlumpy

well its hot, and a pint mug so quite heavy--he did say smoking was heat ralated--who knows. But it is exactly the same spot.

but then there are conincidences everywhere, that one about a room full of people and two will have the same birthday or something

Ninja

OaL, is resting a cup of tea on a Boob an "injury" though?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1577508/
Research - inspired by ambulance-chasing cases following injuries at work, refutes injuries causing cancers. As they say, "War-wounded persons, boxers and railroad accident victims have no higher incidence of cancer than other groups".

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,894980,00.html
This one suggests that the tumour could have been there all the time and an injury could have irritated it.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerBasics/TheHistoryofCancer/the-history-of-cancer-cancer-causes-the...
Through history, people have wondered about "Why Me?" and attributed it to lots of things.

It's been extensively researched. Everyone knocks their boob at some point etc etc so I'm sure that if you ask, every single person on here could have knocked a bap but so does everyone else. It has always happened.
The incidence of BC is rising. More folk are not banging their baps than 20-40 years ago. In fact, with the reduction in manual labour due to the decline of extraction and manufacturing industries, it could be argued that those who have transferred over into service industries suffer less physical trauma these days.

hazelmary

About 9 or 10 years ago I went on holiday to Crete and whilst I was there got a spot underneath my arm after shaving,I think that although I was very careful I did carry on using deodorant. It was a bit sore for a few days. anyway 2 years later I was diagnosed with breast cancer on that side and the tumour was on that side near the armpit.

I often wonder if this was the start of it.

Hazel

oldandlumpy

breast injury leads to cancer?

i just cannot get it out of my head that my lump is exactly where i rest my hot cup of morning tea on my breast, every single morning for years.Thats how i found it, i spilt the tea one day, brushed it off and oops! whats that? I saw on another post that some other people had cancer in an area that had been damaged. One lady said it was exactly where her underwire bra rubbed for years.

I did find the artical below on the internet. Am i just grasping at straws like every one that wonders why?? Whatever, my morning tea is now firmly on the bedside table.

----------------------------------------------------
As has been discussed the cells that divide most are sometimes prone to cancer, but if it were based just on replication the skin cancers that aren't related to UV radiation, stomach cancer, and hair cancer would be the most common (this is why the skin hair and stomach are most affected by chemo, they reproduce the most). That being said, damage does seem to be indicative of cancer risk. As someone else pointed out ulcerative colitis which is the destruction of the lining of the gut increases the risk of bowel cancer, not having children increases the risk of ovarian cancer we think for the same reason. Every time a female ovulates you stimulate several cells to grow and then burst, this repeated stimulation it is thought leads to activation of proto-oncogenes (genes that can become cancer genes if they gain unregulated status) eventually leading to a mutation. This idea of destruction and the induction of repair mechanisms may also help contribute to the rate of tobacco related cancers since along with being carcinogenic most tobacco products are either taken extraordinarily heated (smoking) or by physically damaging the epithelium (chew and dip).

Does cutting your arm lead to cancer? No, unless you have amazingly unstable DNA. But if you do something to damage your body in the same location hundreds of times, like someone with celiac disease who eats wheat thins everymorning is putting themselves at risk, because every time they damage their body they must repair it. Since cancer is just uncontrolled cell expansion, and the repair mechanism is only 2 mutations from that it makes sense that the more you ask your body to do it, the more likely you are to make a mistake (this seems like a because I said so statement, but mistakes are a probability thing, and the more chances you take the more chances you have to make a mistake).