breast mri showed cysts on liver, could this be mets?

hi folks,
I had a breast mri for a lump that i have on my lumpectomy scar, i still do not know what the lump is and the bcn said the scan has shown cysts on my liver, i have to get an ultrasound , i am not sure why they want to do an ultrasound as i thought mri was more sensitive, could this be mets? according to the nurse these are common? anyone know about this. Also when i go to see the doctor should i ask for a biopsy to see what the lump is?
as ever thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bump, sorry folks xx

Hi, I do have mets but, at the moment, I don’t have liver mets. I had an ultrasound of my liver which showed all was well. And the nurse is right, many people have completely harmless cysts to their liver. I would, in your shoes, ask for a biopsy of the lump.
Hope all is well…x

I had a ct scan when first diagnosed and ths showed a very tiny area on my liver that my consultant wanted investigated further so ordered MRI. After the MRI it was confirmed as a tiny cyst, which I was told by consultant is very common. Mst people have cysts on liver but will neverknow they have them. Xx

I had an ultra sound on my liver and they found small lessions but said they were benign, clusters of blood vessels. They do have a name but I can’t remember what they are called. They said the do not do anything about them as they are harmless. x

Hi powerjen,
i had a breast MRI and showed something on my liver, I was sent for ultrasound and confirmed as cysts, 5 percent of the population has them and they are only usually found when being investigated for something else. good luck
karen x

Thanks for the replies, I will keep my fingers crossed x

hi folks,
got letter today saying breast mri did not show recurrence but it did not say what lump is, also said i have cyst on liver and gallstones! awaiting ultrasound and seeing consultant next week, over 3 months of torture!!! this waiting game
xx

My CT apparantly showed small gallstones as well - consultant said as long as they were not bothering me I didn’t need to do anything about them. I later looked it up on the web and 1 in 10 of the population have them, and most never even know they’re there. You’re more likely to have them if you’re female, over 40 and have had one or more pregnancies. Tick, tick and tick!
I know the waiting is awful, but take heart that if they were concerned they’d be moving things along a lot quicker.

Hi powerjen, last week I got app out of blue for a liver scan, I was very worried as I had ct scan of area only a couple of weeks before as I was due first session of chemo, phoned my breast care nurse in a bit of a panic , she said it was a suspected cyst, but had to be confirmed by a ultrasound scan, had scan on Friday and was confirmed as a cyst, and as other ladies here have said , it’s of no real concern and prob won’t be treated. She said usually if they say its a suspected cyst, it usually is just that so please don’t worry too much about it xx

Reading these posts sounding positive… I have abnormalities on my liver…onc said the chemo has probably attacked the liver… I have an MRI scan booked for the 4th Sept x

hi folks,
got results today, lump on lumpectomy scar is nothing to worry about. the breast mri showed gallstones and cyst on liver, got ultrasound yesterday which stated the liver abnormality is suspicious for metastatic disease, now to get ct, totally confused

Bump sorry folks x

Hang in there powerjen, it may still be harmless.

I had liver mets & over time had a mix of CT & ultrasound as they show it in different ways. If you read my profile, you’ll see I’ve had a positive outcome from first treatment for liver mets.

Good luck, Sarah.

Thanks Sarah, I was just shocked yesterday As the MRI showed a cyst I thought the ultrasound would confirm it , I hope the ct is able to confirm things. Good to know that you have had a positive response, do you think I would be offered herceptin again if it is mets? I had a year of it x

I have liver mets and had had a year of herceptin for primaries in 2009 was diagnosed in march this year with secondaries ,had taxol which had to stop due to side effects got nearly 2/3 through it and now have herceptin ,have had it since march/april x

Hi Geordie x,
Sorry to hear about your mets, cancer is a s ****y disease . Did you have a biopsy to confirm the mets were her2 ? Or is it assumed they will be ?
Thanks xxx