breast pain

breast pain

breast pain I am 4 months post radio and still having quite severe breast pain and tenderness. The breast seems to change shape according to the bra i wear, sounds strange i know, but true!! Also the breast feels hot to touch and is larger and firmer than the “normal” one.
Have mentioned these worries to my GP who says its all normal, but i still worry. Beginning to feel like a hypochondriac, therefore thought i would ask if anyone else has these symptoms so long after end of treatment.
Had lumpectomy, radiotherapy and am taking Tamoxifen.

Me Too! I am also 4 months post-radio and find that the whole area under the arm, breast and up to the collarbone (in fact the exact areas given radiotherapy) are sore to touch and the scar area on the breast is also very sore and, more worryingly, this morning I felt a hardness behind the nipple which I am hoping is scar tissue. The area seems to get warm as the day goes on. I have some slight lymphoedema in my arm and the physiotherapist seemed to think that there might be some in the breast as well, which would account for the hot, firmer feeling. Sorry, this may not be very helpful to you, but since we both have the same symptoms, perhaps it is normal after radiotherapy.

MarieColette

Hi Annie I still get breast pain 2 and half years on from diagnosis - and guess what - I fully understand why you say breast changes shape with each bra - or even each sweater if you don’t wear a bra.

Cancer seems to do weird things to us.

Mention the pain when you go for your check up, but I think you will get the standard response that it’s due to ‘rads’ or ‘scar tissue’ or muscle scarring’ - that’s all we ever seem to hear.

Love Joy xxxx

breast pain I am nearly 3 months post radio and 5 months post chemo. I too have severe breast pain which has got worse since rads - did not seem too bad after chemo but the whole area under my arm and into my breast is very painful. It also changes shape depending on which bra I wear and goes very lumpy. The only time it feels smooth is when I get up in a morning and have not been wearing anything and laying flat. The breast is also firmer - in fact it looks quite good except for the scar - it is a pity the other one on the other side droops - In a swimsuit I have one nipple pointing forward and the other looking at the ground - strange sight. I had lumpectomy, cavity shaving, chemo, rads and now taking Arimidex - have allsorts of funny aches, pains, pins and needles in toes etc - wake up in the morning and wonder what new ailment I will have. Sandra

me too Hi

I have just read your posts and this morning was considering ringing my bc nurse as i have the same symptoms…

I finished my rads in March and this last week, the discomfort i have been experiencing has really being getting me down.

My breast is very sore, it feels swollen and hard and hot, and under my arm… well that feels like someone is poking it constantly.

I can not wear a bra, i am having to wear these little sloggi vest tops.

I am also guessing this is the effects of the rads so i am going to see how it is over the next week or so and then ring for advice.

Jakki
xx

and me as well My first post was my concern about breast pain and you have had the same treatment as me, I must say it all sounds like this could be the “norm” but I am glad you mentioned the hardness under the nipple, I was worried about that too, I will mention it on my check up in May. Is your GP sympathetic? as when I went to see mine for my smear test I told her that once we left radiotherapy we were kind of on our own in the big wide world of breast cancer and it was a scary place to be and I don’t like feeling myself for lumps anymore (besides, it feels so different now anyway I wouldn’t be able to tell what was right and what was wrong) and she told me that our practice nurse was competant in breast care and that anytime I needed reassuring to ring her and call for a check, it takes a few minutes and believe me this puts my mind at rest.
As for the shape of your breast, yes mine changes shape too, its a bit lilke that stuff they make stretch armstrong out of isn’t it!!! We will do this together girls and boys, we just need to keep talking XX

reassured thanks for all your replies
what a difference it makes to know the symptoms are not unique to me
i too wake up each day wondering what my body and mind will
do today!!
i need to find the strength somewhere to contemplate going back
to work soon
going on holiday next week for my partners bitrhday, anyone have any advice or extra precautions i should take as i am taking
tamoxifen?
also, any support or self help groups in the falkirk area?

Breast pain I finished radio feb 06 and chemo in dec 05. I have just suddenly started to have breast pain , i was so worried i went to have it checked at hodu and was told it " just scar tissue" and this could go on for a while. It’s hard to just carry on with out worrying about these strange things that keep happening.
What I don’t understand is if this is a common side affect of treatment why you are not informed it may happen before or just has you end treatment.

If it wasn’t for this site I would be lost !!

I think we all from time to time feel like hypochondriacs!!

Take care of yourself

Vodkasue

Thanks so Much I was so glad to read this, all you lot have answered my recent worries about pain, hot boobs, changing shape in different bras. Also I too each day have a different ache or pain. Sometimes dizzy!!! oh I dont know will we ever be normal again !!!

Love to you all Gracie