breast swelling after annual mammo

Hi my name is Lynda and Feb 08 I had a WLE and node clearance. Have been through chemo and finished rads mid Dec 08. Had annual mammo and shortly after have swelling in breast when I wear a bra, looks like it did after surgery. It eventually goes when I take bra off but feels tender. The mammo was clear but after seeing my doctor about it she said I needed an urgent referal back to the onc. So onc just had a feel around and said not to worry with all the treatment and a clear mammo just keep checking for any other changes. Nothing else has been offered although it is unconforatble at times.

After hearing the doctor say mammos are not 100% accurate I wondering if I should persue this further. I was feeling so positive going back to work and now i just feel down again. Mentioned to the onc that thinking of mastectomy now.

Can and of you wonderful ladies out there offer any advice?

Hi Lynda

It does sound as tho’ you might have some lymphoedema there.

You need to ask for for a referral(you may need to be very persistent to get it)to a lymphoedema clinic. Suggest you try your breast care nurse first?

The clinic should be able to tell you definitely whether that is what it is, and if it is, help you to manage it.

Some of the things they can do are:

Show you how to self massage.

Give you some kinesio taping to help to bring the swelling down.

Treat you themselves with MLD (manual lymphatic drainage)

Provide you with a compression top.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

X

S

Thanks for that advice, I have a close friend who has been through this and she has said to go back to the breast nurse as well and run things by her again. I’m just scared it could be something else. Is this something that may go away caused by the mammo or is it lymphodema that i have to learn to live with? have to say that the onc offered no advice or suggestions how to elevate it.

Will keep you informed

L x

Hi Lynda41

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication on Lymphodema which you might find useful to read.

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/16

Hope this helps. Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi Linda

Something that might help (and definitely won’t do any harm, provided there is no medical reason why you shouldn’t) while you waiting to get this sorted out, is swimming. It’s just about the best activity there is for lymphoedema - the ideal combination of exercise, cooling and compression. Best to start slowly, tho’, and gradually build it up.

It’s interesting that you mention the mammogram in connection with your swelling - my problems with my arm started in earnest after an extremely rough mammogram.

I’d love to know if anyone has researched a link - my own ‘pet’ theory is that the crushing effect of the mammogram may have damaged more lymphatics, thus tipping my arm over into full-blown lymphoedema rather more quickly (about 4 months after rads had finished) than it might (if ever) have happened.

I would imagine it’s difficult to elevate a swollen breast in any meaningful way. I think you have to aim for comfort and avoiding anything that might constrict lymph flow, such as sleeping on your ‘bad’ side, narrow/tight bra straps, tight clothing, shoulder bag on that side. I know that people with breast lymphoedema very often find sports bras more comfortable if/when they are not provided with a compression top from their lymphoedema service.

Bye for now - hope you are feeling a bit brighter?

X

S

Hi, thanks for replying again. Not feeling so dowm about it now. Still not happy about being so lopsided. Went swimming twice last week and it did give me a real boost. Have been feeling so tired after returning to work and then this starting up, the swimming was just what I needed.

I am sure it was the mammo that started this problem and it hasnt got any better. Just hoping that it doesnt start in arm now.

Lynda

Hi lynda 41,

i have a similar condition, had snb, chemo WLE and rads all of which finished in Sept 08, i still have at times a red tender breast.

GP gave me antibioticcs x 2 the referred me back to breast consultant who thinks it is oedema in the breast and or reaction from the rads. The bc nurse showed me some exercises to encourage the flow of lymph away from the sore breast and i stilll massage in my aqueous cream.

I have started back swimming which i enjoy and is apparently good for lymphoedema. I am due to see breast consultant in june and i am due to have my first mammogram soon , will chase up if i have not heard anything soon.

It is really worrying isn’t it , knowing what is a possible problem or what is still the after effects of the treament.

I wish you well and if in doubt ring the bc nurses up and seek advice. I think they are better than the GP , more specialsied.

Take care
Sarah66