calcifications in mammogram

calcifications in mammogram

calcifications in mammogram Hi ladies,
In October 2005 I was diagnosed with extensive DCIS and was told mastectomy was only option.
The wierdest thing was that I had had a mammogram only 14 months earlier which was clear! The final results were no node involvement and small invasive tumour.
I had my 6 monthly mammogram 7 months after surgery and got the letter to say all was clear.
However I went to see my breast surgeon and peeked into my notes (naughty girl) and on the form re the results it said it stated that the mammogram had shown some benign calcification.
Please tell me the difference between benign calcification and DCIS, cos I am worried about how quickly mine came up before and wondered how they can tell it is benign, and what the difference shows.
Thank you so much
Sue xx

This may help ‘Calcifications are divided into two categories, macrocalcifications and microcalcifications. Macrocalcifications are coarse deposits that most likely represent degenerative changes in the breasts, such as ageing of the breast arteries, old injuries, or inflammations. They are usually associated with benign conditions and are found in about 50 % of women over the age of 50, and in about 10 % of women under the age of 50. Microcalcifications are crystalline deposits of less than 0.5mm, which are often, though by no means always, associated with malignant lesions. They may appear singly or in clusters, and their shape and morphology is crucial in assessing whether or not they indicate the presence of malignant disease.’

Basically, it’s all down to the shape and pattern of these calcifications, and whether they are clustered or not.

My friend was diagnosed with benign calcifications last year, and she had a follow-up mammogram 6 months later (for peace of mind), and there has been no change.

So try not to worry.

Mcgle

Thank you Mcgle Thank you so much for taking the time to explain.
You are very kind and have reassured me
Sue x

Hi in Nov 2005 I found a lump in the right breast and after having a mammogram and biopsies I was told that I needed to have Right mastectomy for extensive DCIS this I had done in Dec 2005. I was also told that the mammogram showed a fibroadenoma and calcifications in the left breast. This I also worry about. I have had a mammogram 7 months on JUNE 06 and this shows no change from the previous one. I worry as the lump in right breast breast came so quickly and have concerns that this may occur again. I am on Tamoxifen and have hope that this medications prevents further cancer occurring.

For Lavinia You are doing everything you can to prevent a recurrence - still doesn’t stop you worrying, though.

Like all of us, we just have to hope for the best.

Mcgle

My thoughts You mentioned that your final results showed no node involvement and a small invasive tumour. If a tumour is invasive, it is no longer DCIS.

Even if calcifications are suspected to be DCIS, it can only be confirmed through biopsies.