cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can anybody help me?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: can anybody help me?

Hi I had an ANC and invested in an electric shaver that you can use in water. I wet my armpit and use shaving gel to make the area slippery. The shaver just glides through without causing nicks or redness. All hairs gone and smooth.
I did not consider cream as I am usually sensitive to it and it causes a rash.
Very happy with my choice now.
Best wishes to all
Janey xxxxxxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi, yes I was told about taking care under the armpit too after lymph node removal. Thing was, because of the lack of mobility in that arm afterwards I couldn't lift it up enough to actually shave with anything, so I didn't bother buying and electric shaver. I couldn't even get under there properly to use hair removal cream for a few weeks, so I just though, what the heck, when I have my consultant check up they'll just have to see a few hairs there - they know what they look like so shouldn't be shocked!

I was told not to wear deodorant for a couple of weeks after the op too, so when I went for my check up unfortunately I was a bit nervous and felt a little bit sorry for the doctor having to get too close there lol. But they are doctors and have experienced more than just a wiffy armpit so that kept it in perspective for me:)

Highlighted

Deleted

Highlighted

Hi,

you absolutely do not have to have hairy armpits! I've had anc too - you can use an electric shaver or creams and some safety razors (not bic!). The important thing is that you don't nick or cause soreness to your skin because of the infection risk and then the risk of lymphoedema.I'd recommend creams, but make sure you time them carefully because of the lack of sensation. If you're having chemo - sometimes your armpit hair doesn't come back at all - that's what I'm hoping for!

Pots

Highlighted

Hi - I too had lymph node clearance and mx - you really must try and avoid cutting yourself as this could lead to an infection.  I have been using an electric shaver.  Not that easy as it's very numb but does the trick. Good luck. Jo xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi,
I had a mastectomy and my lymph nodes removed and the only thing I was advised was to use an electric shaver. I did try this but found it felt rougher than my normal razor, so went back to that and just took care. As you say, it is to avoid cutting yourself and avoiding infection. Am going through chemo at the moment and hair all disappeared so hair removal is not an issue!
Hope this helps x.
Highlighted

Hi

I have recently had lymph node clearance. The only thing I was told was to use an electric shaver, instead of a razor. I assume it's to prevent accidental cuts (although I've never cut myself shaving) I have to admit shaving after the survey has been odd. I have no feeling under my arm, so I can see how easy it would be to accidentally cut yourself.

Hope that helps x
Highlighted

can anybody help me?

Hi my friend has recently had a masectomy and has had lymph nodes removed and has been told she cannot shave under her arm again and to use fragrance free hair removal cream which we cannot find anywhere. Did anybody else get told this? or can anyone recommend anything she can use x Many Thanks xx